PDA

View Full Version : Superstar vs Elite, which is which?

T-Girl Jenna
08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
k, in my last thread i asked about carmelo anthony being a superstar or not, and some people said he is "not elite, but a superstar", which leads me to this: apparently people think superstars as in movie actors, and celebrities, instead of what they really are called superstars for: being the best of the best

so i just wanted to know, what do you think a superstar is, and what do you think an elite player is

In my opinion:

Superstar- a player that can take over a game with either defense or offense,makes his teammates better, the leader of his team, and the ability to will his team to victory

superstar list:

-Wade

-Kobe

-Lebron

-Rose

-Howard

-Dirk

-Durant

-Paul

Honorable mention- Amare Stoudemire

Elite player- one of the top players at their given positon, not a superstar, a consistant allstar, that at times can play like a superstar

Elite list:

-Stoudemire

-Westbrool

-Gasol

-Carmelo

- deron williams

etc
Honorable mention- Christina Bosh

what are your definitions?

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 05:55 PM
a Superstar is a player who transcends the sport, someone who your grandmother knows even though she doesn't know anything about sport. Someone whose name is recognizable in Africa, in China, in friggin' Mongolia.

Wade, Rose, Durant, Paul, Melo...these are elite players but they aren't superstars imo. They're just stars.

smith&wesson
08-04-2011, 05:58 PM
carmelo anthony is a super star. why cant you get passed this ?

amare is also a super star. these are not what you call "2nd tier players" superstars are the best players in the league and also players who are used to market the nba brand. both melo and amare are used in that way.

melo is probably the third best 3 in the league.

amare probably is top 3 at the powerforward position in the league.

DieHardCubFan
08-04-2011, 05:58 PM
elite actually sounds better than superstar

Slimsim
08-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Couldn't you just post this in the Melo Thread you created Rupaul ?

Slimsim
08-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Also i love Amare no homo But i wouldn't give him honorable mention to being a superstar.

sep11ie
08-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Damn, this tranny sure is trolling.

smith&wesson
08-04-2011, 06:09 PM
a Superstar is a player who transcends the sport, someone who your grandmother knows even though she doesn't know anything about sport. Someone whose name is recognizable in Africa, in China, in friggin' Mongolia.

Wade, Rose, Durant, Paul, Melo...these are elite players but they aren't superstars imo. They're just stars.

By that standard bro kobe and lebron would probably be the only super stars in the league.

players like ellis, iggy, granger, gay, randolph, bosh, rondo, gasol etc. are stars.

players like lebron, kobe, wade, durant, howard, melo, dirk, rose etc are superstars. they are the face of the league and they get marketed more then any one else.

imo.

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Thats what I think, Kobe and Lebron are the only superstars in the league.

Maybe Dwight would qualify too, he's popular abroad.

DoMeFavors
08-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Deron isnt a superstar or elite?

Da Knicks
08-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Another melo hate thread?

nycericanguy
08-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Someone spends wayy too much time thinking about Melo!

smith&wesson
08-04-2011, 07:06 PM

maybe your right. .

Evolution23
08-04-2011, 07:07 PM

People around the world know more players than you think. I've been to Europe and Asia and people follow basketball very closely. They even have favorite teams and players and they go beyond Kobe and Lebron.

RLundi
08-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Couldn't you just post this in the Melo Thread you created Rupaul ?

:laugh:

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 07:12 PM
People around the world know more players than you think. I've been to Europe and Asia and people follow basketball very closely. They even have favorite teams and players and they go beyond Kobe and Lebron.

but the key is if people who don't follow basketball know who they are.

For example, Michael Jordan. Everyone knows who he is. Mike Tyson. Muhammad Ali. Babe Ruth.

Those are superstars. If we call every elite player a superstar, then the word 'superstar' loses its specialness.

THE MTL
08-04-2011, 07:50 PM
k, in my last thread i asked about carmelo anthony being a superstar or not, and some people said he is "not elite, but a superstar", which leads me to this: apparently people think superstars as in movie actors, and celebrities, instead of what they really are called superstars for: being the best of the best

so i just wanted to know, what do you think a superstar is, and what do you think an elite player is

In my opinion:

Superstar- a player that can take over a game with either defense or offense,makes his teammates better, the leader of his team, and the ability to will his team to victory

superstar list:

-Wade

-Kobe

-Lebron

-Rose

-Howard

-Dirk

-Durant

-Paul

Honorable mention- Amare Stoudemire

Elite player- one of the top players at their given positon, not a superstar, a consistant allstar, that at times can play like a superstar

Elite list:

-Stoudemire

-Westbrool

-Gasol

-Carmelo

Honorable mention- Christina Bosh

what are your definitions?

Elite is BEST of the BEST. Look up the definition.

For example, I would call any really popular actor/artist a superstar like Lady Gaga. But you would call someone like Madonna......ELITE!

I agree with ur lists except I might add Paul Pierce and Zach Randolph.

T-Girl Jenna
08-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Elite is BEST of the BEST. Look up the definition.

For example, I would call any really popular actor/artist a superstar like Lady Gaga. But you would call someone like Madonna......ELITE!

I agree with ur lists except I might add Paul Pierce and Zach Randolph.

lol, a 34-35 yr old paul pierce elite????

i wouldnt even consider joe johnson elite,lol:p