PDA

View Full Version : Is Carmelo Anthony s Superstar?

T-Girl Jenna
08-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Hey guys,

i thought we could discuss a new topic today, instead of reading about NBA stars scoring points in a streetball park, and players no one cares about getting arrested, or players signing with foreign teams( whom you have no way of watching anyway, so i dont see why you care...) id figure i could give some insight on a situation that i think should be addressed: do you think carmelo anthony is a superstar?

here is my analcyst of Carmelo:

In denver, carmelo only got out of the first round once, he was an Elite SF, good for 25 points a game, played with some really good players: andre miller, marcus camby, allen iverson, j.r smith,aaron affalo, kenyon martin, nene, chauncey billups.

he is a very clutch player, an elite player, but is he worthy of being called a superstar?

i think not, because my thinking is: if Carmelo is a superstar, so is monta ellis, i mean, monta has been out of the first round before, hes averaged around 25 pts the past two seasons, if carmelo is a superstar, then so is monta!

i mean, by ESPN's definition, all a superstar has to do is score and get out of the first round, well, infact, they dont have to get out of the first round, tracy mcgrady has never been out of the first round, he was a 20 point scorer, and he was considered a superstar!

my question is: what is a superstar?

my definiton- a superstar is a player that can not only carry a team through a game and win by themselves, but can take over an entire series and win. the player is not only great, but he makes his teamates better in most cases. and that player must be a winner to be considered a superstar, so the player must atleast get out of the first round a few times, or a young player who has gotten out of the first round or second round who has strong potential to be a superstar

my superstar list:

Wade
lebron
dirk
kobe
rose
howard
durant
Paul

elite players:
carmelo
stoudemire
pau gasol

etc

what do you think a superstar is?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Yes. If KD is a superstar by your definition, then so is Melo.

nycsports2
08-03-2011, 02:17 PM
easily

alencp3
08-03-2011, 02:24 PM
wade
lebron
kobe
howard
dirk
cp3 are superstars

Hustlenomics
08-03-2011, 02:28 PM
of course he is, anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know basketball

JordansBulls
08-03-2011, 02:31 PM
wade
lebron
kobe
howard
dirk
cp3 are superstars

Rose as well. You don't win league MVP and not be a superstar.

T-Girl Jenna
08-03-2011, 02:33 PM

i always found it funny when people say things like this and have no evidence to back it up

i mean this guy won what? 1 series, how many playoff games has this guy even won?

has he ever been in the top voting for MVP??

make a case supporting him then!

Celticsfan2007
08-03-2011, 02:37 PM
hes a superstar that has underachieved his entire career, ill give you that.

All he ever did in Denver was get surrounded with good talent, yet he never took that team anywhere. Not my first choice for my teams superstar, but hey a superstar none the less.

T-Girl Jenna
08-03-2011, 02:42 PM

All he ever did in Denver was get surrounded with good talent, yet he never took that team anywhere. Not my first choice for my teams superstar, but hey a superstar none the less.

ok, but how is he a superstar? what makes him a superstar?

u say he is a superstar, but dont say why -_-

oak2455
08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
ok, but how is he a superstar? what makes him a superstar?

u say he is a superstar, but dont say why -_-

legit scorer chick with a stick;)

TO Rapz
08-03-2011, 02:56 PM
No hes a wishing star.

T-Girl Jenna
08-03-2011, 02:57 PM
i guess no one has a valid reason for why carmelo should be considered a superstar, guess you just follow whatever espn says and dont have an opinion of your own

Gators123
08-03-2011, 02:58 PM
wade
lebron
kobe
howard
dirk
cp3 are superstars

This.

oak2455
08-03-2011, 03:01 PM
;) want my number? im available for $200 per hour

:facepalm: im good no sticks for me:facepalm:

AndyfromNeptune
08-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Cant back this up with statistics, but my idea of a superstar is the player's impact on the game. Real superstars have the ability to make the players around them better--including giving those players more space to work due to double teams.

Real superstars also have that innate ability to light it up whenever they want--especially in big games.

CP3
Kobe
Lebron
Howard
D Wade
Melo
Dirk
Durant
Derrick Rose

only seem to have that effect from my television screen.

beasted86
08-03-2011, 03:07 PM
My basic definition: A superstar is a top 15 player, worth the maximum or near it, that can fill arena seats, and take a team into the playoffs with just average help.

So, yes, I think Carmelo is a superstar.

Ironman5219
08-03-2011, 03:09 PM
No, he is an outstanding scorer and a ball hog, but he does not make everyone around him better and my grandma could play better defense. He has to caulk up to many shots to get his points and his teams never go far. You don't want the ball in his hands at the end of the game because rather than pass to an open man he will pull up a bad ackward shot ... and miss. Not a good locker room guy or a coachable guy. The only way he wins is if he has other superstars with him so he can hide behind their capes.

Current Superstars:
Dirk
Wade
Kobe
James
Rose
Howard
CP3
D-Will
Durrant

NYman15
08-03-2011, 03:14 PM
I do believe he is a superstar.

T-Girl Jenna
08-03-2011, 03:16 PM
:facepalm: im good no sticks for me:facepalm:

i have plenty more customers, its ok

T-Girl Jenna
08-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Cant back this up with statistics, but my idea of a superstar is the player's impact on the game. Real superstars have the ability to make the players around them better--including giving those players more space to work due to double teams.

Real superstars also have that innate ability to light it up whenever they want--especially in big games.

CP3
Kobe
Lebron
Howard
D Wade
Melo
Dirk
Durant
Derrick Rose

i gave melo credit for making affalo a higher percentage shooter, then melo left, and affalo still was a high percentage shooter, so he didnt help anyone get better

how can a superstar only get out of the first round once,

is being a superstar just a scoring competion for u psd guys??

Punk
08-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Is this really a question? He might as well not even be apart of the 2003 draft too right? Please do not start this "He's a ball hog, he doesn't make people better" ********. Do you think Nene would be such of Field Goal % player if it wasn't for the attention Melo attracted?

Elite Superstars:

-Lebron
-Kobe
-Carmelo
-Wade
-Dwight
-Chris Paul
-Amare
FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS!

Da Knicks
08-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Carmelo has being a winner all his life, high school, college championship, olympic champion. The best scorer in the nba, and very underrated defender as well as being a very good rebounder. My sig tells what psd thinks however....

T-Girl Jenna
08-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Is this really a question? He might as well not even be apart of the 2003 draft too right?

Elite Superstars:

-Lebron
-Kobe
-Carmelo
-Wade
-Dwight
-Chris Paul

FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS!

u keep saying hes a superstar, and arent bakcing it up with a reason

heck: michael olawakandi was a superstar then if ur going by draft order :facepalm:

u have no argument, its like saying the heat are the best team in the nba and they havent done anything

back it up with something kid

nyfinest4life
08-03-2011, 03:22 PM
of course melo is a superstar. hes a beast. hes unguardable, just ask any player who has ever had to play defense on him. hes a top player in the nba without a doubt

T-Girl Jenna
Carmelo has being a winner all his life, high school, college championship, olympic champion. The best scorer in the nba, and very underrated defender as well as being a very good rebounder. My sig tells what psd thinks however....

NBA championship??

1 first round exit?

tops in MVP voting???

:confused:

sounds like ur just sucking him off caus he plays for ur team, lol

T-Girl Jenna
of course melo is a superstar. hes a beast. hes unguardable, just ask any player who has ever had to play defense on him. hes a top player in the nba without a doubt

then so is monta ellis then

THE GIPPER
Melo's supporting cast in denver has always been overrated imo. They were big names yes but many of the guys he played with were washed up and were extremely undisciplined. And to say that he only has one playoff run as a reason for not calling him a superstar is rediculous. He has had to attempt to go through teams like the lakers, mavs, spurs and suns for years and they were clearly more talented and experiences teams.

T-Girl Jenna
08-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Melo's supporting cast in denver has always been overrated imo. They were big names yes but many of the guys he played with were washed up and were extremely undisciplined. And to say that he only has one playoff run as a reason for not calling him a superstar is rediculous. He has had to attempt to go through teams like the lakers, mavs, spurs and suns for years and they were clearly more talented and experiences teams.

and iverson and lebron carried pieces of crap all the way to the NBA finals, and melo can only get out hte first round once?

THE GIPPER
08-03-2011, 03:26 PM
and iverson and lebron carried pieces of crap all the way to the NBA finals, and melo can only get out hte first round once?

Did I say melo was better than iverson or lebron?

and btw both lebron and iverson did that in the EAST

T-Girl Jenna
08-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Did I say melo was better than iverson or lebron?

and btw both lebron and iverson did that in the EAST

if they can advance ot the finals in the east, ur trying to tell me that its easier to get to the finals in the east than get out of the first round in the west

get out of here!

JoAc
08-03-2011, 03:48 PM
All*Star players: A player that can score lots of points or grab lots of rebounds or that can block lots of shots, etc.

David Lee(need a longer career in dominating the boards before he can become a hof)
Manu, Westbrook, Gasol, Joe Johnson, Deron Williams, etc.

Superstar: A player that can dominate offensively/Distributor or defensively/Rebounding (A future Hall of Famer) and no one can stop him.

Past Offensively: MJ, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, Stockton, etc.
Past Defensively/ Rebounding: Rodman, Robert Parish, Mutombo, Etc.

Current Offensively: Kobe, Durant, Melo, Wade, Dirk, CP3, Lebron, Rose, Monta, etc.
Current Defensively: Howard, KG

***This is not in any particular order and is leaving out many players (I dont have all day to create a long list)

haggis
08-03-2011, 03:53 PM
^ did that guy just call David Lee a HOF player?

heyman321
08-03-2011, 04:01 PM

CP3
Kobe
Lebron
Howard
D Wade
Melo
Dirk
Durant
Derrick Rose

By this definition Deron Williams and Steve Nash are also superstars.

ILMindState
08-03-2011, 04:03 PM
^ did that guy just call David Lee a HOF player?

:laugh::laugh:

JoAc
08-03-2011, 04:03 PM
If David Lee continues to rebound the way he does. 10+ a yr for the next 10 yrs. then yes he will. Its called the of the greatest rebounders of all time. If he does it for the next 10 years.

rebounds10*82games= 820*10yrs=8200

8200+Current rebounds 4243= 12443

That good for the top 20 all time rebounding leaders.

Mutombo would have less if David Lee does continue to rebound at that rate

THE GIPPER
08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
if they can advance ot the finals in the east, ur trying to tell me that its easier to get to the finals in the east than get out of the first round in the west
get out of here!

No actually i didnt say that at all. Im saying that lebron making the finals in 07 isnt any more impressive than carmelo making the western conference finals in 09. In fact, I would argue that carmelo's feat was more impressive because he won two games against the eventual champion LA lakers while Lebron was swept by the spurs.

dnewguy
08-03-2011, 04:06 PM
If you think he's in the same category as Wade, Kobe, Lebron and D Howard then he's a superstar but if you think he's Luol Deng's status then he's a star. He ain't better than Luol Deng IMO and that's a huge compliment.

NYKalltheway
08-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Monta > all :shrug:

thapastime7
08-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Hey guys,

i thought we could discuss a new topic today, instead of reading about NBA stars scoring points in a streetball park, and players no one cares about getting arrested, or players signing with foreign teams( whom you have no way of watching anyway, so i dont see why you care...) id figure i could give some insight on a situation that i think should be addressed: do you think carmelo anthony is a superstar?

In denver, carmelo only got out of the first round once, he was an Elite SF, good for 25 points a game, played with some really good players: andre miller, marcus camby, allen iverson, j.r smith,aaron affalo, kenyon martin, nene, chauncey billups.

he is a very clutch player, an elite player, but is he worthy of being called a superstar?

i think not, because my thinking is: if Carmelo is a superstar, so is monta ellis, i mean, monta has been out of the first round before, hes averaged around 25 pts the past two seasons, if carmelo is a superstar, then so is monta!

i mean, by ESPN's definition, all a superstar has to do is score and get out of the first round, well, infact, they dont have to get out of the first round, tracy mcgrady has never been out of the first round, he was a 20 point scorer, and he was considered a superstar!

my definiton- a superstar is a player that can not only carry a team through a game and win by themselves, but can take over an entire series and win. the player is not only great, but he makes his teamates better in most cases. and that player must be a winner to be considered a superstar, so the player must atleast get out of the first round a few times, or a young player who has gotten out of the first round or second round who has strong potential to be a superstar

my superstar list:

Wade
lebron
dirk
kobe
rose
howard
durant
Paul

elite players:
carmelo
stoudemire
pau gasol

etc

by ur definition how is lebron a superstar

haggis
08-03-2011, 04:17 PM
If David Lee continues to rebound the way he does. 10+ a yr for the next 10 yrs. then yes he will. Its called the of the greatest rebounders of all time. If he does it for the next 10 years.

rebounds10*82games= 820*10yrs=8200

8200+Current rebounds 4243= 12443

That good for the top 20 all time rebounding leaders.

Mutombo would have less if David Lee does continue to rebound at that rate

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This can't be serious.

juno10
08-03-2011, 04:26 PM
No actually i didnt say that at all. Im saying that lebron making the finals in 07 isnt any more impressive than carmelo making the western conference finals in 09. In fact, I would argue that carmelo's feat was more impressive because he won two games against the eventual champion LA lakers while Lebron was swept by the spurs.

not really since lebron beat the pistons without even a legit 5th option let alone 2nd or someone like billups he had no business even making it that finals. nuggets beat teams around the same level as them and challenged the lakers who were better. if lebron had that version of billups i think he could forced atleast game 7 vs the spurs.

JoAc
08-03-2011, 04:27 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This can't be serious.

:clap::clap::clap:

Listen I dont think its going to happen for David Lee however yes I would vote for a person that does the dirty work any day over a scorer.

Rodman is one of my favorite players of all-time. He is in the HOF and not maybe people mentioned him as a HOF when he playing.

juno10
08-03-2011, 04:27 PM

do you even watch basketball.

NYman15
08-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I know the NBA players see Melo as a superstar as do I. I could also make the argument that Amare is a superstar. As Amare has been to the conference finals and last year proved he doesn't need Nash. In fact, he made Felton a better PG. But Melo is a superstar, he can carry a team on his back, is arguably the purest scorer in the NBA and can go toe to toe with any other player in the game. He steps up in big games thus why he has beaten Lebron in his career more than Lebron has beaten him. He is a top 10 player in this league. he's a superstar in my opinion.

fadedmario
08-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Yes

THE GIPPER
08-03-2011, 05:16 PM
not really since lebron beat the pistons without even a legit 5th option let alone 2nd or someone like billups he had no business even making it that finals. nuggets beat teams around the same level as them and challenged the lakers who were better. if lebron had that version of billups i think he could forced atleast game 7 vs the spurs.

Oh Lebron is for sure better than Carmelo, im just saying that melo is a superstar.

LOOTERX9
08-03-2011, 05:33 PM
You know who is a superstar just by the hype and publicity he gets. Superstars are normally the lead guy or main attraction on their team while putting up great numbers and/ or being clutch. Melo has all 3 of those things so yes Melo is odviously a superstar.

Dade County
08-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Rose as well. You don't win league MVP and not be a superstar.

Super stars... are not just athletes that can score 35 to 50 points every other game if they wanted too. But they are universally known as being top tier. A mother in French might not really no anything about american basket ball, but her sons that huddle up by the television wearing LBJ/Kobe jerseys tells you everything you need to know.

Yes Rose won the MVP so I can't argue that he shouldn't be considered a super star; even though I feel he is not. He is an elite player and all I ask is for you to let him have the same season as the one that just past or better; and the Nba has them selves another marketable Super star.

Leave me alone Bull fans, I tried. Here it comes, I talked about the Rose:facepalm:

Super Stars Global

LBJ
Kobe
Wade
Dirk (German factor)

Elite Players (super stars in the league)

Howard
KD
Rose
Melo
Cp3
Boston big 3 as a unite

Sorry Timmy, time has past you by.

And then, their are all star players.

3mikee_
08-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Yea no question Carmelo has to be considered a superstar imo. Dude is clutch, scores at will, does what he can to help his team win games (aka actually showing up on defense when he got traded to the Knicks).. I guess in comparison he's like the Terrel Owens/Chad Ocho Cinco of the NBA. Kind of a diva, but he gets it done. Unstoppable in a one on one situation.

The most clutch player in the NBA today hands down. Although you can argue for Dirk after this postseason.

NFLinLA
08-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Yes, I think Carmelo is the best pure shooter in the NBA

nycericanguy
08-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Of course he is.

The Monta comparison is a joke BTW.

Ellis is a career 19ppg inefficient scorer who does little else and has never had a PER higher than 18.

Melo is a career 25ppg guy and much more efficient, and his PER blows Monta away. Not to mention he's a much better rebounder, shooter and defender.

And while Melo hasn't had the greatest playoff success, Ellis can't even get his team to the playoffs.

T-Girl Jenna
08-03-2011, 06:53 PM

he got his team to the finals twice

he is the 2nd best player in the NBA

carmelo has only been to a conferece finals once

LOOTERX9
08-03-2011, 06:54 PM
And by the way Tim Duncan was never a superstar to me because even with his 4 titles , no one really cared bout him outside of San Antonio. Superstars are players that transcends sports or make all types of fans want to watch him play wherever he plays. No one would go rushing to rucker park in nyc if tim duncan had decided to go play there in his prime. Tim Duncan = great player but falls short on being a player that is interesting or exciting to watch, so he is no superstar.

T-Girl Jenna
08-03-2011, 06:55 PM
And by the way Tim Duncan was never a superstar to me because even with his 4 titles , no one really cared bout him outside of San Antonio. Superstars are players that transcends sports or make all types of fans want to watch him play wherever he plays. No one would go rushing to rucker park in nyc if tim duncan had decided to go play there in his prime. Tim Duncan = great player but falls short on being a player that is interesting or exciting to watch, so he is no superstar.

oh, i forgot, the NBA is about popularity, not skills

Yao ming is the greatest player of all time then :rolleyes:

NYkillaPriest
08-03-2011, 07:10 PM
There is no catagory that you can put KD in and leave Melo out especially a superstar thread.
Melo is better than KD right now in all aspects of the game. The only thing Durant has on Melo is he is younger and scores more (Only because he plays more and shoots more free throws)
Yes Melo is the better defender just doesn't have the mindset to defend 48 minutes, Durant just can't play D. If you believe KD is better just look at them when they go head to head

NYsFinest
08-03-2011, 07:19 PM
How can you possibly compare Melo and Monta?!?

To say they have won the same is nonsense... with Melo as the leader of the team, the Nuggets have averaged 50 wins per season in a very tough Western Conference. It's not fully Melo's fault that he had to face clearly superior teams in the Lakers, Spurs, Suns, Mavs every year in the first round.

Meanwhile Monta's team has consistently been among the worst teams in the NBA ever since the team's real leaders (Baron Davis and Jason Richardson) left.

GiantsSwaGG
08-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Why doesn't Kobe-24 like Carmelo?

LOOTERX9
08-03-2011, 07:34 PM
oh, i forgot, the NBA is about popularity, not skills

Yao ming is the greatest player of all time then :rolleyes:

Actually Yao was more exciting/ interesting to watch for me than Tim Duncan when healthy. Tim Duncan and his boring play actually hurt the NBA's popularity in the 2000's cause spurs were winning titles but fans did not get excited for their games at all. Even with lebron having no balls or titles he is 10 times the superstar Tim Duncan was because people are interested in him unlike tim duncan

Yunqn
08-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Hey guys,

my superstar list:

Wade
lebron
dirk
kobe
rose
howard
durant
Paul

elite players:
carmelo
stoudemire
pau gasol

etc

As far as your choice for elite and non elite i think its perfect ..
But as far as your comparidon between monta and carmelo i think thatsoff ..

But a superstar imo is a guy who can game a game all by himself .. A guy who needs a gameplan, a guy who is unquestionably great .. Not just at scoring or defending or rebounding but a guy who can will his team to victory.. A guy whos team is constanly picked to win or even if the guy is on a bad team a guy who u know is just in the wrong situation . Like chris paul .. Imagine if paul played on denver with all those teammates.. Carmelo imo isnt a guy who can win alot by himself or with talent.. He needs another top ten player alongside who plays in the paint .. I just feel like guys like rose paul howard lebron wade and etc just need a guy in the 25 or so .. A good or great but not an elite level .. Good and deserved thread imo ..

Hostetler
08-03-2011, 08:14 PM
mega-star

T-Girl Jenna
08-03-2011, 08:19 PM
As far as your choice for elite and non elite i think its perfect ..
But as far as your comparidon between monta and carmelo i think thatsoff ..

But a superstar imo is a guy who can game a game all by himself .. A guy who needs a gameplan, a guy who is unquestionably great .. Not just at scoring or defending or rebounding but a guy who can will his team to victory.. A guy whos team is constanly picked to win or even if the guy is on a bad team a guy who u know is just in the wrong situation . Like chris paul .. Imagine if paul played on denver with all those teammates.. Carmelo imo isnt a guy who can win alot by himself or with talent.. He needs another top ten player alongside who plays in the paint .. I just feel like guys like rose paul howard lebron wade and etc just need a guy in the 25 or so .. A good or great but not an elite level .. Good and deserved thread imo ..

agreed :clap:

airronijordan
08-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Hes the most versatile offensive scorer in the league...he can shoot the mid range jumper, since being in NY - he improved his 3 point shooting, he can post you up, he can take you off the dribble....not to mention, he's the most clutch player in the league (according to stats)

And if he wasn't a superstar, he wouldn't have had 42 points and 17 rebs in game 2 against Bos where he almost won the game single handedly

Im not trying to make comparison, but Wilt has also been on losing teams throughout his life, does that mean he's not a superstar?

Was Pete Maravich not considered a superstar?

T-mac in his prime has lost in the 1st round repeatedly and last time I checked he was still considered a superstar

A superstar is a player who can take over a game single handedly....and Carmelo fits that category ( so does Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Dwight, Dirk, Durant, CP3, Rose, Deron, Amare)

airronijordan
08-03-2011, 08:59 PM
also since Carmelo joined Denver as a rookie, their win total improved by 25 games....a player whos not a superstar wouldnt have that type of impact?

and last time I checked, Melo holds the record for the most points in a quarter (33 points)....Players who aren't superstars wouldn't be able to do that

GhostfaceDrilla
08-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Yea no question Carmelo has to be considered a superstar imo. Dude is clutch, scores at will, does what he can to help his team win games (aka actually showing up on defense when he got traded to the Knicks).. I guess in comparison he's like the Terrel Owens/Chad Ocho Cinco of the NBA. Kind of a diva, but he gets it done. Unstoppable in a one on one situation.

The most clutch player in the NBA today hands down. Although you can argue for Dirk after this postseason.

No.... Dirk is the most clutch hands down. Melo doesn't have **** on Dirk.

GhostfaceDrilla
08-03-2011, 09:01 PM
also since Carmelo joined Denver as a rookie, their win total improved by 25 games....a player whos not a superstar wouldnt have that type of impact?

and last time I checked, Melo holds the record for the most points in a quarter (33 points)....Players who aren't superstars wouldn't be able to do that

Goran Dragic scored 23 points in like 14 minutes in the 4th in a playoff game vs the San Antonio Spurs.

BkOriginalOne
08-03-2011, 09:07 PM

He also did player in Denver. And if his nuggets played in the east as built for the past 5 years, his team would have been in the ECF every year and made the finals a couple times before losing to the Lakers.

BkOriginalOne
08-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Goran Dragic scored 23 points in like 14 minutes in the 4th in a playoff game vs the San Antonio Spurs.

How is that even mathematically possible?

Hawkeye15
08-03-2011, 09:11 PM
by the definition of superstar? Yes. Is he an absolutely elite player? No

Crackadalic
08-03-2011, 09:16 PM
If you have to be double team at times or even triple team then your a superstar IMO. Melo had to face championship caliber teams over the years since he came out and outside of two seasons his team was very overrated

Tuck&Rolle
08-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Your kidding me right? The second he went to NY people hate on him now. Go to a game at MSG and you will see how big of a star he is.

Hawkeye15
08-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Your kidding me right? The second he went to NY people hate on him now. Go to a game at MSG and you will see how big of a star he is.

nah, most of the educated basketball people had the same opinion over the past 5-7 years as they did in the 25 games he played for NY

Spiderman 1nner
08-03-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm going to say borderline cus he is great in the fourth quarter and extremely clutch but he only plays defense when he wants to. When he plays defense he's one of the best in the league, but he takes off defensively and that's why he lacks the drive to win in order to truly be considered a superstar. A superstar is a player that carries his team to victory, Mello wants to conserve all his energy for offense so he plays sub par defense and consequently costs his team games.

starksforthree
08-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Lol, ok..........see this is a stupid question though.

How in the hell is Monta freakin Ellis in the same league as Carmelo Anthony?

Last 2 seasons:

Ellis - .517 TS%, .536%......on 24 and 25 ppg

Anthony - .557%, .548%.........and that's on 26 and 28 ppg

that's just the last two seasons lol.

It's not even close. Ellis is a super inefficient ballhog, who plays terrible defense.

He's the Monta Ellis of the NBA, since I can't even compare him to anybody else, hah.

Melo is Vince Carter. He's Gilbert Arenas. He's a great player on a good team.

Superstar? By most definitions yes......

passittome
08-03-2011, 10:50 PM
hype: went to oak hill hs, premier school, all american. won ncaa championship as freshman at syracuse, part of 2003 draft class. plays for the new york knicks.

talent: regarded as one of the best pure offensive players in the league. clutch 4th qtr stats. all star starter and team USA rep.

endorsements: has a signature line from nike/jordan brand

media: husband of lala. puerto rican descent.

a superstar is a endorser to the nba on and off the court. a person that be instantly recognized by a casual person when a game comes on in the bar for guys or a gossip show for girls. a lot of becoming a superstar is hype + media. results will cement your status but won't hinder it overall. thats just imho and have no elias sports bureau approved stats to back it up.

GhostfaceDrilla
08-03-2011, 10:59 PM
How is that even mathematically possible?

LOL I messed up. He played like 14 total minutes the entire game. haha

PrettyBoyJ
08-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Melo is def. A superstar.. Since entering the league Denver has never had a losing record.. Yes He's only made it out the 1st round once but he plays in the west, I'm not trying to make excuses but if he was in the East he would have gotten out of the 1st round.. Another thing He plays in a tough division where some years 3 teams can post 50 win season.. He's the most versatile scorer in the league, and commands a lot of double teams.. He's proven to be clutch and take over games.. He's internationally known, He can fill seats at home.. It's not a coincidence since joining the Knicks they raised their ticket prices and thats after raising it when Amare came.. He plays basketball at a high level and can match up with any player at his position.. I dont see how he isnt a superstar

knicks4life33
08-03-2011, 11:05 PM
dude you really putting monta ellis in same sentence as carmelo. You really dont know basketball

starksforthree
08-03-2011, 11:17 PM
HOW MANY TIMES HAS CHRIS PAUL BEEN OUT THE 1ST ROUND?

Oh right, same # as Melo.

LOL!

/thread

Bishnoff
08-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Career averages of 24.8 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 3.1 APG, & 1.1 SPG. Yeah, I'd call Melo a superstar.

Revolu7i9n
08-03-2011, 11:30 PM
lawlz

THE MTL
08-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Hey guys,

my superstar list:

Wade
lebron
dirk
kobe
rose
howard
durant
Paul

elite players:
carmelo
stoudemire
pau gasol

etc

I know u have defined Elite and Superstar for urself but ur wrong.

Superstar: "Superstar is a term used to refer to a celebrity who has great popular appeal and is widely-known, prominent or successful in some field"

......so kinda like an immensely popular athlete who is very successful like Melo

Elite: "A group of people considered to be the best in a particular society or category, esp. because of their power, talent, or wealth"

.......you are FLAT OUT the best! ie. Lebron James

You can be a superstar but not elite.

Thus Carmelo Anthony is in fact a superstar however he is not elite. I would say if Melo can become a good/average defender but most importantly show true "leadership" and raise the level of his team (not just himself but his team)....then he will be ELITE!

Fly
08-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Most definitely. And why the heck would you say only if monte can be considered one? Monte's a good player, but Carmelo is a superstar..

Chronz
08-03-2011, 11:58 PM
See Basketball

Chronz
08-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Career averages of 24.8 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 3.1 APG, & 1.1 SPG. Yeah, I'd call Melo a superstar.

Those arent superstar #'s in my book but I wont argue if someone has a loose definition of superstar stats

Chronz
08-04-2011, 12:01 AM

You didnt assess his impact though, Melo didnt add 25 wins, they added alot more important pieces than Melo that year.

meloman1592
08-04-2011, 12:22 AM
I love Cp3 and I do consider him a superstar...but if he's only made it out the 1st round once, and you define a superstar by winning, then Melo is a superstar as well

nickdymez
08-04-2011, 12:32 AM

This...

But this forum hates Carmelo for some reason... Its real odd

mttwlsn16
08-04-2011, 12:33 AM
if u have derrick ****ing rose as a superstar then carmelo must be the best player to ever lace em up

XxSPEEDRAC3RxX
08-04-2011, 01:07 AM
The only way he wins is if he has other superstars with him so he can hide behind their capes.

well Lebron did the same exact thing.

sharqstealth
08-04-2011, 01:11 AM

Monta got out of the 1st round, but Baron Davis was clearly the leader and the one carrying that GSW team. Now, with Monta leading the team they can't even get into the playoffs.

Carmelo, he got out of the 1st round once, but made it to the WCF only to be beaten by the then champs. As playoffs is concern, they easily got in every year. He even carried his team back into the playoffs in his rookie year, and never missed the playoffs in his entire career if I'm not mistaken. Made tons of game winners - clutch! Has a better W-L record head to head with Lebron.

Do you really think they're comparable???

XxSPEEDRAC3RxX
08-04-2011, 01:22 AM
if u have derrick ****ing rose as a superstar then carmelo must be the best player to ever lace em up

D rose is on a whole other level.
1.melo got the broom against the celtics but Rose to the celtics to 7 games his rookie season

2. got MVP in his 3rd season

3. he took his team to the confernce championship game with a sucky *** supporting cast ( not so much deng and noah) but buzzer,bogans,korver were just :facepalm:

xM1GSx
08-04-2011, 01:29 AM
i like the third choice

starksforthree
08-04-2011, 01:34 AM
lol this thread is still so stupid tho, hah.

seriously, derrick rose wasn't even arguably the best player during that series.......they still had gordon, hinrich, deng, etc.

O and um yea, that was an INSANELY idiotic thing to say since Melo nearly won the damn game himself without anyone else on the friggin team...

Again - MELO: CARTER: ARENAS

Basically the same ****, lol. I dont see how you can possibly freakin refute that... :./

Knicks21
08-04-2011, 02:01 AM
No.... Dirk is the most clutch hands down. Melo doesn't have **** on Dirk.

Dirk is clutch, but he is not Melo.
Stats prove it.
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/24200/the-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time
Disregard article it is not important, read the table on the right as you scroll down.

And for the record i love Kobe so please dont think im hating on him with this article.

NYkillaPriest
08-04-2011, 02:53 AM
To say Melo is not a superstar then you cant consider Dirk or D Rose a superstar because none of them play defense consistantly (D Rose was just covered up by the best defensive team and coach). Since the NBA is so competitive there wont be a lot of blow outs so when Melo decides to lock down at the end of games you dont have any knock on his game.

To say Melo is not a superstar and the only knock on him is he doesn't play D then you cant call LeBron a superstar because he doesn't have the ability to finish out in the clutch and he has a sub-par FT% definitly not up to standards of the elite scorers.

toovey107
08-04-2011, 03:08 AM
To say Melo is not a superstar then you cant consider Dirk or D Rose a superstar because none of them play defense consistantly (D Rose was just covered up by the best defensive team and coach). Since the NBA is so competitive there wont be a lot of blow outs so when Melo decides to lock down at the end of games you dont have any knock on his game.

To say Melo is not a superstar and the only knock on him is he doesn't play D then you cant call LeBron a superstar because he doesn't have the ability to finish out in the clutch and he has a sub-par FT% definitly not up to standards of the elite scorers.

Total misconception and there are stats to back it up, but those aren't big around here so I wont waste my time.

And to answer the question- Superstar name and talent? Absolutely.

Superstar production? Not even close.

beasted86
08-04-2011, 03:20 AM
he took his team to the confernce championship game with a sucky *** supporting cast ( not so much deng and noah) but buzzer,bogans,korver were just :facepalm:

Sorry guy... you Bulls fans cannot play in both ways.

You can't say all season long, even leading into the very same playoffs matchup this year that the Bulls have a better "team" than the Heat, and yet now claim Rose had a sucky supporting cast. Last I recall, you guys, and PSD as a whole voted Deng, Boozer, and Noah all in the top 10 at their respective positions in the polls.

marj987
08-04-2011, 03:29 AM
Sorry guy... you Bulls fans cannot play in both ways.

You can't say all season long, even leading into the very same playoffs matchup this year that the Bulls have a better "team" than the Heat, and yet now claim Rose had a sucky supporting cast. Last I recall, you guys, and PSD as a whole voted Deng, Boozer, and Noah all in the top 10 at their respective positions in the polls.

This.....well that.

NYkillaPriest
08-04-2011, 03:33 AM
Total misconception and there are stats to back it up, but those aren't big around here so I wont waste my time.

And to answer the question- Superstar name and talent? Absolutely.

Superstar production? Not even close.

It may be but if you watch the end of any big Knicks game (against one of the high caliber SF in the game) Melo is a lock down defender. Thats the only knock on his game that gives a thread like this any credibility.

Kashmir13579
08-04-2011, 03:43 AM

So basically you just started a thread to bash Carmelo? Look, you asked a question and gave some generic and paper-thin reasoning for your opinion. Then you go on and reply with snide comments to anyone that disagrees.

Carmelo is a superstar and an elite player. If you want to get into semantics thats fine with me but i'm not buying into any of that BS. He's not elite because he isn't an efficient scorer? please. His shooting numbers look oddly similar to Kobe Bryant's; whether you want to compare this year, last year, or their first 8 years. You can't sit here and guarantee me that Bryant would've led those Nuggets teams to a ring.

Hustla23
08-04-2011, 04:10 AM
Kash is certainly an early riser. :laugh2:

Evolution23
08-04-2011, 07:39 AM
According to PSD Carmelo is a top 25 talent. lol

Evolution23
08-04-2011, 07:42 AM
You didnt assess his impact though, Melo didnt add 25 wins, they added alot more important pieces than Melo that year.

So you are saying they would have had 25 wins without Carmelo?

Evolution23
08-04-2011, 07:46 AM
nah, most of the educated basketball people had the same opinion over the past 5-7 years as they did in the 25 games he played for NY

That's not true. I've seen a lot of people on PSD and the media turn and hate on Carmelo, the same way they hated Lebron this year although not to the same degree. There's a lot of bias against big cities and larger markets. IDK the reason behind this nor do I care to know but you have to be naive to not see it.

starksforthree
08-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Marshmelo is pretty easily a top 15 player. Same goes with Amare, lol. It's kind of simple math realli....

Both are Top 3 at their position.... Duh. :./

Quietmoney
08-04-2011, 08:28 AM
The man is the best offensive player in the league hands down. He has every facet to his game. There are many players that don't have his skill set. If the knicks are healthy, they have a chance to be really special. For all the talk about him under achieving, people really need to ask themselves who was the number 2 guy on his Denver teams?? Please dont say Chauncey.

PhillyBoomerang
08-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Superstars are the best in the league. I am talking about the top 5 in the major stat categories. Carmelo is a superstar no doubt. Team leaders who make constant all star games.

nycericanguy
08-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Danilo Gallinairi has become a beloved player on PSD, even voted one of the top 10 SF's in the NBA...

and Melo is now being compared to Monta Ellis and he's not a superstar.

Interesting...

thapastime7
08-04-2011, 08:58 AM
do you even watch basketball.

do you as far as i concern lebron hasnt won anythin again by ur deffinition of a superstar.

the only that make a player a superstar from a star is the media. people dont see melo a superstar not bc of stat its bc he not in same category of fame that all. statistically a star and superstar could have the same stats but looked at differently bc of the coverage he gets in media. my opinion and i think its valid

had melo switched spots with kobe on the lakers and had same stats who would you consider the superstar?

ctad2002
08-04-2011, 09:15 AM
he has only made it to the playoffs every year 2nd best at his position after Lebron he is awesome no question SUPERSTAR

T-Girl Jenna
08-04-2011, 10:41 AM
by the definition of superstar? Yes. Is he an absolutely elite player? No

lol, how can he be a superstar, but not elite???

T-Girl Jenna
08-04-2011, 10:44 AM
hype: went to oak hill hs, premier school, all american. won ncaa championship as freshman at syracuse, part of 2003 draft class. plays for the new york knicks.

talent: regarded as one of the best pure offensive players in the league. clutch 4th qtr stats. all star starter and team USA rep.

endorsements: has a signature line from nike/jordan brand

media: husband of lala. puerto rican descent.

a superstar is a endorser to the nba on and off the court. a person that be instantly recognized by a casual person when a game comes on in the bar for guys or a gossip show for girls. a lot of becoming a superstar is hype + media. results will cement your status but won't hinder it overall. thats just imho and have no elias sports bureau approved stats to back it up.

this isnt about popularity, then Yao ming woulod be a superstar as well -_-
do u people even know basketball???

T-Girl Jenna
08-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I know u have defined Elite and Superstar for urself but ur wrong.

Superstar: "Superstar is a term used to refer to a celebrity who has great popular appeal and is widely-known, prominent or successful in some field"

......so kinda like an immensely popular athlete who is very successful like Melo

Elite: "A group of people considered to be the best in a particular society or category, esp. because of their power, talent, or wealth"

.......you are FLAT OUT the best! ie. Lebron James

You can be a superstar but not elite.

Thus Carmelo Anthony is in fact a superstar however he is not elite. I would say if Melo can become a good/average defender but most importantly show true "leadership" and raise the level of his team (not just himself but his team)....then he will be ELITE!

wow, u people dont know basketball, this isnt ****ing access hollywood, extra, or any of those shows yall watch! this is the nba, this isnt some ****ing popularity contest

a superstar is one of the top players in the game hwo can will his team to victory, and is a winner, can show up in clutch moments, makes teammates better, etc

what the **** does popularity have to do with anything???? this isnt some sissy game in which superstars are determined by popularity

u guys sound gayer than i am and im a ****ing shemale!:facepalm:

T-Girl Jenna
08-04-2011, 10:49 AM

oh ok, so a player that pretty much did everything for his team in order for them to get the the conference finals , with virtually no help vs a player that played with the likes of allen iverson, chauncey billups and some other pretty good players, who could only get out of the first round once, due to the leadership of chauncey billups

superstars are leaders: kobe, wade, dirk, rose, guys like these are known leaders, u ever hear anyone say carmelo and leadership in the same sentence?

oak2455
08-04-2011, 10:55 AM
this isnt about popularity, then Yao ming woulod be a superstar as well -_-
do u people even know basketball???

not anymore its gonna be cancelled :speechless::speechless::p

Mr. RaJ
08-04-2011, 11:15 AM
I still cant fathem the thought that Dirk's considered Elite, but i guess im in the dark on that one.

I dont see Paul still as a superstar, hes been too injured the last couple of yrs.

$GangGr33n$
08-04-2011, 11:18 AM
to me superstar is just a very popular player which IMO Melo definitely is. But i dont think he is elite player even though i do think hes a elite SF because i only consider the Top 5 in the sport or position as elite. Melo isnt a top 5 player but is a top 5 SF so yes hes a superstar and elite SF but not elite player

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-04-2011, 11:20 AM
The man is the best offensive player in the league hands down. He has every facet to his game. There are many players that don't have his skill set. If the knicks are healthy, they have a chance to be really special. For all the talk about him under achieving, people really need to ask themselves who was the number 2 guy on his Denver teams?? Please dont say Chauncey.

oh boy, wrong wrong wrong

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-04-2011, 11:21 AM
lol, how can he be a superstar, but not elite???

one word...popularity:eyebrow:

Shamar81
08-04-2011, 11:32 AM
He is a superstar, If Kevin Durant is one then Melo is too. Superstar are like rock stars. Every wherethey go theres a crowd or a buzz. Melo has that. He's on commericals and has is own shoe. When it comes to playing the game. Offensively one of the best. Never missed the playoffs is whole career. People act like he hasent lead a team to victory before. Hell he won the natonal championship in college by himself. NBA is a different animal but he's a star and their isnt any team in the league that wouldnt want him or any player that wouldnt want to play next to him. Superstar

PlezPlayDKnicks
08-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Any1 who can go @ King James the all pro defender and not only win but score @ will should be considered a superstar .. He's one of the few players who has no problem vs a superstar who can lock up any1 at his position. Last I checked the only sf clear cut better than Melo overall is Lebron. Every1 else is debatable including Durant. That would make him a Siperstar if he's on par with his peers at his position. The Op clearly hates Melo for no reason. And the West had 2 powerhouses in LA & SA along with very tough teams. If Cleveland was out West Lebron wouldn't have sniffed a finals.. Haters gonna hate tho.

Melo needs so much to win according to some but Lebron went to play with arguably the best sg in the league and a top 5 power forward and still didnt win. My point in saying that is winning rings ain't easy no matter how talented ur supporting cast. Chemistry , luck and other variables play a role in taking a chip.. Let it go, he's a superstar with holes in his game just like every1 else.

Shamar81
08-04-2011, 11:40 AM
^^^ :clap:

sharqstealth
08-04-2011, 11:45 AM
This stupid thread needs to be closed... What's the point of asking us guys about our opinions, when the author itself has already a judgement of his/her own???

Slimsim
08-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Any1 who can go @ King James the all pro defender and not only win but score @ will should be considered a superstar .. He's one of the few players who has no problem vs a superstar who can lock up any1 at his position. Last I checked the only sf clear cut better than Melo overall is Lebron. Every1 else is debatable including Durant. That would make him a Siperstar if he's on par with his peers at his position. The Op clearly hates Melo for no reason. And the West had 2 powerhouses in LA & SA along with very tough teams. If Cleveland was out West Lebron wouldn't have sniffed a finals.. Haters gonna hate tho.

Melo needs so much to win according to some but Lebron went to play with arguably the best sg in the league and a top 5 power forward and still didnt win. My point in saying that is winning rings ain't easy no matter how talented ur supporting cast. Chemistry , luck and other variables play a role in taking a chip.. Let it go, he's a superstar with holes in his game just like every1 else.

Good point sadly i doubt anyone read or respond to this logic

Hitman21
08-04-2011, 12:21 PM
This melo **** is getting old. Dude can score on anyone from anywhere on the court. One of the toughest players to guard. He is one of the purest scorers in the league. Btw it's analysis. U ****in moron. Quit baiting and hating.

jowens_05
08-04-2011, 12:21 PM
derrick rose is one for sure

THE GIPPER
08-04-2011, 12:33 PM
derrick rose is one for sure

Thanks for telling us!! We wouldn't want to have an entire thread without mentioning drose!!!! :rolleyes:

beasted86
08-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Real poor logic. Whoever the #2 Center is the NBA is for sure not a superstar.

But anyway, as I responded earlier Melo is probably a superstar depending on how you describe it, but that argument you gave is a poor one. Melo can be the #1 scorer on a championship team.

Heediot
08-04-2011, 01:25 PM
;) want my number? im available for $200 per hour

You bone?

PJAF
08-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Hey guys,

my superstar list:

Wade
lebron
dirk
kobe
rose
howard
durant
Paul

elite players:
carmelo
stoudemire
pau gasol

etc

To be honest there have been few superstas in the history of the NBA. There have been many all-stars and great players. To me, a superstar is one that can change the course of a game single handedly on their own on a consistent basis. With that as a definition, I would consider only Kobe and Lebron at this stage with Kobe fading a little and Lebron close but catching up. In the history of the NBA I would call Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Bird, Hakeem in that category. There may be a few others. I realize even these guys had good players around them but when the game was on the line they made te difference and the plays that changed the game in their favor. that's why they were champions numerously. Maybe put Shaq in their in his prime.

PlezPlayDKnicks
08-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Real poor logic. Whoever the #2 Center is the NBA is for sure not a superstar.

But anyway, as I responded earlier Melo is probably a superstar depending on how you describe it, but that argument you gave is a poor one. Melo can be the #1 scorer on a championship team.

Yeah, way to point out the weakest position in the NBA . Can u say that about the number 2 at any other position. We already know the strongest position in the NBA is the 2 and 3. The hardest elite players to find are at the 1 and 5. Cmon man stop nitpicking u understand the point

Melo playing Lebron to a standstill in head to head matchups throughout his career should be proof alone.. Heat fans brag about His amazing defense that hasn't shut Melo down @ all. If that's not superstar talent to be on par with the best @ the position in head to head matchups y'all are being hypocrites.

T-Girl Jenna
08-04-2011, 02:39 PM
You bone?

want a taste? thats me in my profile pic

T-Girl Jenna
08-04-2011, 02:39 PM
one word...popularity:eyebrow:

so is brian scalabrine a superstar then?

XpLiCiTT
08-04-2011, 02:40 PM
this thread is a joke..melo is a no-brainer superstar

Cal827
08-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Not yet. His defense is too subpar... Bargnani can score from anywhere on the court too, but anybody calling him a superstar as of now should be permabanned lol.... If he can improve his defense, and/or if the Knicks are able to sign some defensive players to go around him, then he'll be looked at as one, kinda Like Dirk: Isn't the best defender, but has a lot of help from the team around him (E.g. Chandler)

KnicksR4Real
08-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Yes. He is consistent, and one of the most clutch players in the league

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 02:44 PM
definitely not. I think there's only 2 superstars in the league: Kobe and Lebron

everybody has their own definition of what superstar means

Lake_Show2416
08-04-2011, 03:01 PM
ya he is easily, there r too many Melo haters on PSD

XpLiCiTT
08-04-2011, 03:03 PM
A superstar, in my eyes, is 1 player who can completely turn around a franchise.

Melo is one of those type of players.

Big2win
08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Hey guys,

my superstar list:

Wade
lebron
dirk
kobe
rose
howard
durant
Paul

elite players:
carmelo
stoudemire
pau gasol

etc

If Carmelo is not a superstar, then you should remove Rose, Durant and Paul based on your criteria. I understand Rose won MVP, but according to your logic, he only got out of the first round once and lost in the conference finals( Just like Melo). And he couldn't take over the series to beat Miami, but he is on your "superstar" list.

Durant only made it out of the first round once and lost in the conference finals like Carmelo as well. He has not taken over a playoff series to lead his team to a victory until this year. He is on your superstar list.

Chris Paul only made it past the first round once and then got beat the next round(Not to mention, beat 4-1 by Carmelo and the Nuggets in 2009). He never led a team to the conference finals, yet he is on your superstar list.

I don't understand how Carmelo can be such a huge question mark, but He, Gasol and Stoudemire have accomplished just as much or more as over half of your "superstar" list.

yfern328
08-04-2011, 03:20 PM
You don't want the ball in his hands at the end of the game because rather than pass to an open man he will pull up a bad ackward shot ... and miss. Not a good locker room guy or a coachable guy.

Is that a joke? He's the most clutch player in the league and he makes that shot more than anyone else. That's why he takes those shots. He puts the pressure on himself which is what you want out of your leader. Also who says hes not a good locker room guy or not coach-able? Besides George Karl's angry words as he left, I've never heard anything but praise for him. You kind of sound like an angry Denver fan to be honest.

Mudvayne91
08-04-2011, 03:25 PM
You know the NBA forum is hurting for things to talk about when this bad boy gets brought up again. It really depends on your definition of superstar. He's arguably the best/most effective scorer in the game. He has the ability to play a two way game. I've seen him play for years with Denver. I don't buy into the fact that he's a bad defender. I do buy the fact that he doesn't like to play defense and doesn't a majority of the time. And he's better than Monte, guaranteed.

everybody has their own definition of what superstar means
Yep

Nyc4You
08-04-2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX92j8wp7f8

just a GLIMPSE of what melo can do.

nycericanguy
08-04-2011, 03:39 PM
You know the NBA forum is hurting for things to talk about when this bad boy gets brought up again. It really depends on your definition of superstar. He's arguably the best/most effective scorer in the game. He has the ability to play a two way game. I've seen him play for years with Denver. I don't buy into the fact that he's a bad defender. I do buy the fact that he doesn't like to play defense and doesn't a majority of the time. And he's better than Monte, guaranteed.

Yep

You can always be counted on for some logic!

He's def a superstar, not at the Lebron, Howard, Wade, Kobe level, but if you define only those guys as superstars then the league only has 4-5 true superstars.

There is the truly elite, and then there are the superstars that are a notch below like Melo, Amare, CP3, D-Wil, Dirk, Durant, etc...

From what I saw Melo actually is a very good defender and passer, but it remains to be seen if he will do it over the course of 1 season, or if he was just more motivated in NY. If he can keep up his level of play he can be one of the true elite.

I find it funny though that earlier this year Gallo was "nothing but a role player" and a "one trick pony", and now he is beloved on PSD and was even voted a top 10 SF in the NBA. I love Gallo, probably still my favorite player, but what changed?...lol. He did get to the FT line a bit more, but his overall numbers for the most part stayed the same or went down.

And yet now Melo all of a sudden isn't a superstar and is being compared to Monta Ellis? Really? Monta Ellis? :facepalm:

Kashmir13579
08-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Look who he was out on the floor with. Scrubs. But he still can score at will.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-04-2011, 03:43 PM

one game bro

he was terrible in the other games of the series

Nyc4You
08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
If wade is a superstar then melo is. If it weren't for shaq lamar and Alonzo they wouldn't even have gotten to the finals.

Melos 2009 Team- http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DEN/2009.html
Melo career stats- http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3706/career

Wade 2006 team- http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DEN/2009.html
Wade career stats- http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3708/career;_ylt=Ary0iu5qoYEnMri5e6l6x7XNPKB4

Which team had the better roster during their most successful playoff run? You have to take into consideration that the east was nothing compared to the west.

The career stats are about the same also?

Kashmir13579
08-04-2011, 03:49 PM
one game bro

I wouldn't say that. I'd say the Celtics adjusted and Carmelo couldn't continue to do it by himself. He was basically going 1 on 5.

"Oh, here comes the triple team, guess i'll kick it to Anthony Carter or Jared Jeffries"

Nyc4You
08-04-2011, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't say that. I'd say the Celtics adjusted and Carmelo couldn't continue to do it by himself. He was basically going 1 on 5.

"Oh, here comes the triple team, guess i'll kick it to Anthony Carter or Jared Jeffries"

Or the injured Amare....

And it wasn't only 1 game. he dropped 34 in game 4.

Whats all this hate on melo.... You wanted stats, i gave you stats. What else do you need?:facepalm:

nycericanguy
08-04-2011, 03:58 PM
What Melo did in game 2 against BOS, was one of the greatest playoff performances I have ever seen. Reminded me of Lebron against DET.

NY was already thin after the trade, but to lose Amare AND Billups and have Melo basically playing with a D-league roster and keeping his team in the game and putting them in position to win, that was amazing. NY had the lead until the very final possession when Jeffries lost the ball.

juno10
08-04-2011, 04:09 PM
If wade is a superstar then melo is. If it weren't for shaq lamar and Alonzo they wouldn't even have gotten to the finals.

Melos 2009 Team- http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DEN/2009.html
Melo career stats- http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3706/career

Wade 2006 team- http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DEN/2009.html
Wade career stats- http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3708/career;_ylt=Ary0iu5qoYEnMri5e6l6x7XNPKB4

Which team had the better roster during their most successful playoff run? You have to take into consideration that the east was nothing compared to the west.

The career stats are about the same also?

one of the dumbest things i have ever read, well DUH! you need supporting players no one does it by them selves. cant believe you just named three key players (lamar odom??) and said if it wasn't for them they wouldn't make the finals no ****.

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 04:12 PM
He's def a superstar, not at the Lebron, Howard, Wade, Kobe level, but if you define only those guys as superstars then the league only has 4-5 true superstars.

even less than that. Wade is not a superstar imo. Lebron, yes. Kobe, definitely. Howard, maybe.

it sounds like most of you guys want to say that every top 10 player in the nba is a superstar. Thats not selective enough to me imo, a superstar should be reserved for the few who transcend the sport

PlezPlayDKnicks
08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
one game bro

Your favorite player Kobe seems to feel different.. This summer Kobe spoke of Melo as a player that he sees as the guy worthy of passing the torch to.. It can't be wrong if Kobe said it right.

THE GIPPER
08-04-2011, 04:34 PM
even less than that. Wade is not a superstar imo. Lebron, yes. Kobe, definitely. Howard, maybe.
it sounds like most of you guys want to say that every top 10 player in the nba is a superstar. Thats not selective enough to me imo, a superstar should be reserved for the few who transcend the sport

Did you just say that 2 of the top 3 players in the nba aren't superstars?

Nyc4You
08-04-2011, 04:34 PM
one of the dumbest things i have ever read, well DUH! you need supporting players no one does it by them selves. cant believe you just named three key players (lamar odom??) and said if it wasn't for them they wouldn't make the finals no ****.

If you took the time to brain storm what i posted, i asked which supporting cast is better. i guess u are the dumb one ?

NetsPaint
08-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Nash and Deron Williams are superstars.

Yes, Nash, right now.

ChitownSports16
08-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Is this really a question? He might as well not even be apart of the 2003 draft too right? Please do not start this "He's a ball hog, he doesn't make people better" ********. Do you think Nene would be such of Field Goal % player if it wasn't for the attention Melo attracted?

Elite Superstars:

-Lebron
-Kobe
-Carmelo
-Wade
-Dwight
-Chris Paul
-Amare
FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS!

Amare a Superstar??? lol good one.

starksforthree
08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Who the f'n hell is this T-Gurl creeper lol? Is anyone planning on callin the freakin FBI on this *****?

Heshe is making sexual offers to guys on here, and there are some underage kids in here lol.

It's ammusing but sick...

Anyways - this is a ******** thread.

Of course he's a superstar, in the same way Carter, Arenas, T-Mac, and others are/were.

Is he elite? Na probly not. But he's def. top 10 or thereabouts, and the 3rd best SF in the game...

jesus christ what a stupid *** question lol :./

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Did you just say that 2 of the top 3 players in the nba aren't superstars?

yes I did. Does Wade transcend the sport? Do people who aren't basketball fans know who Wade is?

rhetorical question, the answer is no.

a superstar is someone like Pele or Tiger Woods. You don't know anything about soccer or golf, but you know who they are. they transcend the sport.

I don't think my dad, who doesn't follow sports, would know carmelo anthony or wade, but he'd know Kobe or Lebron.

THE GIPPER
08-04-2011, 05:06 PM
yes I did.

thats odd i guess your criteria for a superstar is different than most

PlezPlayDKnicks
08-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Amare a Superstar??? lol good one.

If he was a bull you would prob think so.. I remember Bulls fans saying they wanted BOOZER over Amare. Now thats a good one...

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 05:12 PM
we still want Boozer over Amare, we aren't a bunch of reactionary fans who think just because Boozer was injured and had a tough season that he's suddenly crap and we hate him.

We hated him for a little while but now we expect him to get better and get back to his 20/10 ways.

Boozer was playing at an all star level after he got back from his injury and before Kwame Brown pushed him down.

starksforthree
08-04-2011, 05:19 PM
^ Lol at this stupid post, Boozer isn't nearly as good as Amare, and injured Boozer = Boozer dude.

And I used to love this cat, hah, but he's always freakin injured, and clearly needs a good pg to play well, unlike Amare....

:./

starksforthree
08-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I'M PUTTING THIS BULLCRAP TO REST:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=anthoca01&y1=2011&p2=piercpa01&y2=2006&p3=mullich01&y3=1993&p4=gervige01&y4=1980&p5=englial01&y5=1984&p6=wilkido01&y6=1990

Carmelo vs. 5 other SF Hof's.... (English, Gervin, Pierce, Mullin and Wilkins)...

He comes out favorably.

Check it out for yourself dweebs. If English can be a freakin HOF, why not Melo? Most Nugget fans will probably tell you Melo was/is every bit as good as English was anyways, and he only got to the CF's once anyway I believe.... :./

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 05:23 PM
it's not a matter of being as good, its a matter of cost. Boozer was the least expensive out of the 3 big FA PF's last season, we couldn't afford Amare. the Knicks can't really afford Amare's contract either but that's another story.

Boozer and Amare are different players, there's some things Boozer is better than Amare at and there's some things Amare is better than Boozer at.

People need to stop and think and be reasonable, too many people act like Boozer is some scrub like he shouldn't even be on an NBA court. Get over your blind hate, look at his stats, he averages like a 20 PER for his career, his shooting is efficient, his rebounding is great. He's a very good PF when healthy.

and his injury history is totally overblown, people act like he's Yao Ming or something. Boozer has been on the court more often than he's been off the court in his career. He had 3 seasons where he played 80 games or more, and he had 2 seasons where he played less.

starksforthree
08-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Lol, are you ******** dude?

I just told you I used to love Booze, hah.

Booze is better at nothing other than rebounding, and the freakin guy is injured all the damn time.

Amare is a top 3 PF in this league, and a top 5 Big man.

FACT.

Boozer isn't even a top 5 PF anymore, and probably never was. He's also past his prime already, and sucked donkey balls *** in the playoffs.

I think youre just being a blind homer and don't want to realize that YOURE THE ONLY FREAKIN BLIND HATER here buddy boi. The queer fact that you seem to slightly even "like" RGM suggests there are chemical issues going on. That place is full of idiots who need to get spanked by their mommies. ;.

Boozer's alright but I can name 7 PF's I'd rather have than him. You know what let's make it 10, hah.

Bosh
Amare
Gasol
Griffin
Aldridge
Randolph
KG
Duncan
Dirk
Love

Damn that was easy, hah!

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 05:36 PM
you want Zach Randolph over Boozer even though Zach Randolph has a lower average TS% and a lower average eFG%. Same deal with Lamarcus Aldridge. You want the worse shooter and less efficient PFs over the better shooting and more efficient PF, not to mention better rebounding.

He's not injured "all the damn time" either, I just told you. He had 3 seasons where he played 80+ games or near 80 games. And he had 2 seasons where he didn't. Injured all the damn time is someone like Yao Ming who only had one season where he came even close to playing 80 games.

PlezPlayDKnicks
08-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Hes cheaper for a reason. Age, Durability and the fact that he under performs against the elite pf in the playoffs. Im not counting this year bcuz he was hurt. But the knock on Boozer has always been he struggles in the playoffs against taller and more athletic power forwards. He gets his numbers but he's not nearly as effecient or dominant like he is in the regular season. And for you to say you still rather boozer when the Bulls have some1 like Noah to mask Amare's weaknesses is pure foolishness.

it's not a matter of being as good, its a matter of cost. Boozer was the least expensive out of the 3 big FA PF's last season, we couldn't afford Amare. the Knicks can't really afford Amare's contract either but that's another story.

Boozer and Amare are different players, there's some things Boozer is better than Amare at and there's some things Amare is better than Boozer at.

People need to stop and think and be reasonable, too many people act like Boozer is some scrub like he shouldn't even be on an NBA court. Get over your blind hate, look at his stats, he averages like a 20 PER for his career, his shooting is efficient, his rebounding is great. He's a very good PF when healthy.

and his injury history is totally overblown, people act like he's Yao Ming or something. Boozer has been on the court more often than he's been off the court in his career. He had 3 seasons where he played 80 games or more, and he had 2 seasons where he played less.

Da Knicks
08-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Your favorite player Kobe seems to feel different.. This summer Kobe spoke of Melo as a player that he sees as the guy worthy of passing the torch to.. It can't be wrong if Kobe said it right.

This guy is the biggest Melo hater, you are not going to be able to convince him that Melo is a superstar.

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 05:41 PM
We can't afford Amare, if he was the same exact price as Boozer of course I'd want Amare.

I'm not convinced Amare is consistently healthy either, his knees? his back spasms that seem to flare up chronically? How is Amare seen as the picture of health but Boozer is some broken down scrub on his last legs, I'll never know.

Kashmir13579
08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
We can't afford Amare, if he was the same exact price as Boozer of course I'd want Amare.

I'm not convinced Amare is consistently healthy either, his knees? his back spasms that seem to flare up chronically? How is Amare seen as the picture of health but Boozer is some broken down scrub on his last legs, I'll never know.

Who is saying he is the picture of health? Knicks fans are all terrified of Amar'e going down on a serious injury. And it already happened in the playoffs this year. They'd be lying if they told you anything different.

starksforthree
08-04-2011, 06:03 PM

Lol, youre a dufus man.

HELL YES I want Z-Bo over Boozer are you crazy man?

Boozer sucks dude, he's not even your best PF anyways, that's Taj Gibson.

Amare and Boozer's health are probably about equal, but Amare is way better dude.

NYKNYGNYY
08-04-2011, 06:16 PM

smh :facepalm:

LeGacy is Music
08-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Didn't Melo, Win the Final Four for his School at Syracuse? Hasn't everytime Lebron has Gone against him when their teams have played each other hasn't it been Melo as the victor? He has a Gold Medal from the Olympics, And We know he can take over games look the knicks during the playoffs against boston.

NYKNYGNYY
08-04-2011, 06:28 PM

melo = god

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 06:32 PM
melo = god

careful buddy, I'm told overhype is what led people to hate Drose on this forum. Too many people jocking him and overhyping him. Just a friendly warning.

NYKNYGNYY
08-04-2011, 06:45 PM
careful buddy, I'm told overhype is what led people to hate Drose on this forum. Too many people jocking him and overhyping him. Just a friendly warning.

it happens when you have a superstar on your team...you know how it is

Hustlenomics
08-04-2011, 06:47 PM
According to PSD Carmelo is a top 25 talent. lol

it's quite comical

ATFemALL
08-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Instead of the third option being "only if monta can be considered" it should b ONLY IF DURANT can be considered and dont argue that durant is the way better player because his defense isnt exactly "lock down" if u really think monta is as good as melo u buggin out!

NYkillaPriest
08-04-2011, 07:51 PM

yeah and your coach is one of them, that's why he preferred to play Gibson over Boozer in the playoffs.

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 08:03 PM
boozer was injured in the playoffs, why do people continue to ignore that? He was injured and he couldn't produce offensively, thats why he was benched .

Evolution23
08-04-2011, 08:33 PM
boozer was injured in the playoffs, why do people continue to ignore that? He was injured and he couldn't produce offensively, thats why he was benched .

Boozer didn't really produce all season.

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 08:37 PM
How do you know, did you watch every Bulls game? Because I did, he was playing at an all star level between injuries.

That's why people were saying that Boozer deserves to be an all star and havign that argument about who was better, Boozer or Bosh, you remember? That argument seems silly now but back then it didn't, because Boozer was playing well and Bosh was in the middle of a lot of struggles.

People have a very short term memory, they only seem to remember the last thing they've seen. Boozer sucked in the playoffs, so Boozer sucks. Rose struggled shooting in the Heat series, so Rose can't shoot.

Very short term memories

T-Girl Jenna
08-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Boozer didn't really produce all season.

did you even watch the regular season??

17.5 and 9.6 in 31 minutes

the only games he didnt produce in were the games against miami and boston,lol

Evolution23
08-04-2011, 11:24 PM
did you even watch the regular season??

17.5 and 9.6 in 31 minutes

the only games he didnt produce in were the games against miami and boston,lol

There's a reason why every analyst was saying the Bulls are Rose or bust and you didn't have to be Nostrodamus to figure that out. Even in the regular season he didn't produce numbers that were expected of him. Boozer has even dropped out of the top 10 power farwards for this past season, so I guess the world watched the regular season and you didn't.

Evolution23
08-04-2011, 11:26 PM
How do you know, did you watch every Bulls game? Because I did, he was playing at an all star level between injuries.

That's why people were saying that Boozer deserves to be an all star and havign that argument about who was better, Boozer or Bosh, you remember? That argument seems silly now but back then it didn't, because Boozer was playing well and Bosh was in the middle of a lot of struggles.

People have a very short term memory, they only seem to remember the last thing they've seen. Boozer sucked in the playoffs, so Boozer sucks. Rose struggled shooting in the Heat series, so Rose can't shoot.

Very short term memories

Who knows maybe he will redeem himself in 2 years but as of now he is not living up the expectations as a second offensive weapon that the Bulls need.

Sox72
08-04-2011, 11:40 PM
There's a reason why every analyst was saying the Bulls are Rose or bust and you didn't have to be Nostrodamus to figure that out. Even in the regular season he didn't produce numbers that were expected of him. Boozer has even dropped out of the top 10 power farwards for this past season, so I guess the world watched the regular season and you didn't.

Huh?

T-Girl Jenna
08-05-2011, 10:47 AM

for the first time in his career boozer played with a center that averaged 10 rebs per game, so obviously his rebounds dropped, and his point reduction could be due to a new offensive system

use ur brain, not espn to analyse situations:eyebrow:

blahblahyoutoo
08-05-2011, 01:04 PM
This...

But this forum hates Carmelo for some reason... Its real odd

Just like how his popularity in ny soared at about the same time. Strange indeed.

SteBO
08-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Very short term memories
I remember all of that, and to me it was laughable then too. Still, Boozer is notorious for the performances he put on in the playoffs, injured or not. Speaking of health, you can never count on him being healthy come postseason anyway. It's a lost cause imo. I don't think Boozer sucks, but he dissappears in way too many important games to be a legit 2nd option, in the post.

T-Girl Jenna
08-05-2011, 01:24 PM
I remember all of that, and to me it was laughable then too. Still, Boozer is notorious for the performances he put on in the playoffs, injured or not. Speaking of health, you can never count on him being healthy come postseason anyway. It's a lost cause imo. I don't think Boozer sucks, but he dissappears in way too many important games to be a legit 2nd option, in the post.

he did good a few years ago against LA,

and about dissapearing in important games, well, miami fans know all about #6 ;)

juno10
08-05-2011, 01:30 PM
he did good a few years ago against LA,

and about dissapearing in important games, well, miami fans know all about #6 ;)

not a good example since they also won a championship on a game six.

Hustlenomics
08-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Boozer is *****

RZZZA
08-05-2011, 01:59 PM

Luckily for us, our team is deep enough to have Boozer be a 3rd or 4th option. We need a legit second option at the 2 (crossing my fingers for someone like J.R. Smith, O.J. Mayo or even Nick Young), then we have Luol Deng as our 3rd option and Boozer can be the 4th...

ggb108
08-05-2011, 01:59 PM
carmelo is absolutely a superstar. no doubt.

T-Girl Jenna
08-05-2011, 03:24 PM
carmelo is absolutely a superstar. no doubt.

y? do u have a explanation for why he should be one?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Luckily for us, our team is deep enough to have Boozer be a 3rd or 4th option. We need a legit second option at the 2 (crossing my fingers for someone like J.R. Smith, O.J. Mayo or even Nick Young), then we have Luol Deng as our 3rd option and Boozer can be the 4th...

:confused::confused:

ATFemALL
08-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Do u consider Kevin Durant a superstar? If u do end your argument b4 it begins

justinnum1
08-05-2011, 07:55 PM
no

smith&wesson
08-05-2011, 08:02 PM
why doesnt every one just admit that they dont know the difference between a star and a super star.

Catoblepas
08-05-2011, 08:14 PM
I consider a superstar a player that can go to any team and make the team able to make the playoffs.. Wade carried Miami the year before lebron/Bosh came.. thats a good example.. Melo I believe can be one.. but as of now, I question his determination.

smith&wesson
08-05-2011, 08:26 PM

A widely acclaimed star, as in movies or sports, who has great popular appeal
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/superstar

: a star (as in sports or the movies) who is considered extremely talented, has great public appeal, and can usually command a high salary

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/superstar

a very prominent performer, as in sports or the entertainment industry, often one considered to have exceptional skill and talent

http://www.yourdictionary.com/superstar

so ask your self is melo popular ? id say so theres about 20 threads in here about him in the last two days.

is melo considered extreamely talented ? i would say so yes. i bet you would agree.

does melo command a high salary ? yes yes, he does.

would you say melo has exceptional skill and talent. ?? you have to admit that he does.

by definition melo is considered a super star. unless ofcourse you wanna argue with the guy who writes dictionaries.

smith&wesson
08-05-2011, 08:30 PM
I consider a superstar a player that can go to any team and make the team able to make the playoffs.. Wade carried Miami the year before lebron/Bosh came.. thats a good example.. Melo I believe can be one.. but as of now, I question his determination.

whos on new york ?

amare
billups
melo
fields
??
??
??
??
a bunch of no body's ?

they made the playoffs after getting melo. theyre team is garbage minus amare and melo and fields. billups is ok but always injured and old.

smith&wesson
08-05-2011, 08:35 PM
i dont remember the last time ellis lead his team to the western conference finals.

Evolution23
08-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Amare was on his way to leading the Knicks to the playoffs.
Melo was leading the Nuggets to the playoffs for how many years now?
So by that definition they are both superstars.

todu82
08-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Yes he is, he's very easily a top 8-10 player in the NBA.

T-Girl Jenna
08-06-2011, 11:03 AM
A widely acclaimed star, as in movies or sports, who has great popular appeal
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/superstar

: a star (as in sports or the movies) who is considered extremely talented, has great public appeal, and can usually command a high salary

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/superstar

a very prominent performer, as in sports or the entertainment industry, often one considered to have exceptional skill and talent

http://www.yourdictionary.com/superstar

so ask your self is melo popular ? id say so theres about 20 threads in here about him in the last two days.

is melo considered extreamely talented ? i would say so yes. i bet you would agree.

does melo command a high salary ? yes yes, he does.

would you say melo has exceptional skill and talent. ?? you have to admit that he does.

by definition melo is considered a super star. unless ofcourse you wanna argue with the guy who writes dictionaries.

in the nba, i consider superstars what you would consider elite

T-Girl Jenna
08-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Amare was on his way to leading the Knicks to the playoffs.
Melo was leading the Nuggets to the playoffs for how many years now?
So by that definition they are both superstars.

lol, leading his team to first round losses year in year out

Big2win
08-06-2011, 12:03 PM
lol, leading his team to first round losses year in year out

Denver was 17-65 the year before they drafted Melo, he turned he club around to a 43-39 record his rookie year and He single handedly led them to the playoffs every year since, after going 10 seasons not making the playoffs at all! Durant has only been in the playoffs twice!!! CP3's team gets eliminated in the first round damn near every year. Your statements are very contradictory. Here are some things you may want to research:

* Carmelo has made the most game winning shots in the past 8 seasons.

* Carmelo never missed the playoffs (Kobe, Wade, James and Durant all have)

* Head to head, Melo and Durant played 11 times. Carmelo's team's record against Durant is 10-1. Carmelo has outscored him (29.6 to 26.8) and has shot better from the field (.502 to .423). Durant has a slight edge in rebounding (6.8 to 6.5), while Carmelo—surprisingly—has dished more dimes
(3.8 to 3.0)

* Carmelo went against Lebron James 11 times, with Melo winning the series 9-4

* Combined record against Durant and James is an overwhelming 19-5!!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/792156-carmelo-anthony-why-hes-not-overrated-and-why-hes-better-than-kevin-durant

bedford1829
08-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Does 'Melo's basketball skill set qualify him as a Superstar? Maybe, but borderline at best.

However, in today's landscape an athlete can be defined as a superstar through an achieved status that does not just relate to an individual's skill set.

'Melo has a broad appeal and fan base that can only be partially attributed to achievements on the basketball court.

Melo has developed himself as a brand and taken advantage of people's obsession with celeb-reality to propel himself to a successful multi-media, marketing, and athletic career.

Melo has experienced much success on the Basketball court which has laid the ground work and foundation for his super-stardom. It started in Syracuse when his youthful swagger and bravado helped him become one of the few Freshman centerpieces ever to propel his Team to a National Title in college basketball history. Then as a lottery pick in the NBA draft, he was selected by the hapless Denver Nuggets who he immediately helped transform into perennial post season contenders. Along the way, Melo established himself as one of the NBA's most explosive and versatile scoring threats (despite lackluster defense) and a Perennial All-Star/Fan favorite. Melo also established a reputation as one of the game's two or three best and most ruthless closer's in the NBA with the game on the line. Melo represented his country in the China Summer Olympics and helped the Dream Team bring the Gold Medal back to U.S. basketball. Melo's status as a star was only further solidified in 2010 when the attention surrounding his desire to secure a trade and leave Denver to join Amare Stoudemire in NY with the Knicks reached a fever pitch. His arrival in NYC helped breathe life into one of country's basketball capitals and return Madison Square Garden to it's prestigious status as the center of the basketball world, known as "the Mecca".

Melo has his own highly lucrative and successful shoe line under one of the best-selling and arguably most popular sneaker brand in recent history, Nike subsidiary and Michael Jordan's signature shoe line -- Jordan. Melo has been releasing his "Melo" line for close to a decade with substantial sales and success.

Melo has also established himself as a successful spokes person and company front man. In addition to his Jordan shoe deal, Melo is the spokes person for Boost Mobile, Johnson & Johnson, Phiten Performance Accessories, as well as many others.

Carmelo is also involved in the music industry appearing on several Hip-Hop mix tapes even trying his hand at rapping in a few. Carmelo recently started his own Hip Hop recording label, which recently inked popular Philly bases, MC Cassidy.

Even his marriage to former MTV Vee-Jay, La La Vazquez, has garnered enormous amounts of attention and news/tabloid coverage. Their wedding was attended by A-list guests stretching from TV/Movies to the Music and Sports industries. The power couple was even the subject of their own celeb-reality TV show, La La's Full Court Wedding.

In summation, as a ball player Carmello is clearly a great talent and a premier player but he certainly isn't the sports biggest star. However, when combined with his tabloid style personal life, his Music/TV success, and the huge endorsement and sponsorship deals, he is clearly one of the country's biggest stars in one of the country's biggest cities/media market.

PS. I know this was excessive in detail but I needed practice writing and composing concise argumentative essays and because I was familiar with this topic, I used this opportunity for practice.

VillaMaravilla
08-06-2011, 12:53 PM
he is a superstar but he is a underachiever, if he had Kobe type dedication to the game he would be elite and i also think Monta is very close to being one

Tuck&Rolle
08-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Its funny how people criticize Knick fans but little do they realize is that we have the highest basketball IQ of any other fans. NY is the mecca of basketball, ask any super star... they will all say Yes.

Don't believe me?? Just take a look at Rucker Park.

Melo is a super star and if you don't realize that then you really don't know this game at all.

NYKnicksAllDay
08-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Its funny how people criticize Knick fans but little do they realize is that we have the highest basketball IQ of any other fans. NY is the mecca of basketball, ask any super star... they will all say Yes.

Melo is a super star and if you don't realize that then you really don't know this game at all.

:facepalm: No wonder people dislike Knicks fans. It's arrogant **** like this. :pity:

Tuck&Rolle
08-07-2011, 12:06 AM
:facepalm: No wonder people dislike Knicks fans. It's arrogant **** like this. :pity:

Is your Avatar a picture of you?

juno10
08-07-2011, 12:31 AM

your basketball iq isn't higher than mine sir;)

Knicks21
08-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Does 'Melo's basketball skill set qualify him as a Superstar? Maybe, but borderline at best.

However, in today's landscape an athlete can be defined as a superstar through an achieved status that does not just relate to an individual's skill set.

'Melo has a broad appeal and fan base that can only be partially attributed to achievements on the basketball court.

Melo has developed himself as a brand and taken advantage of people's obsession with celeb-reality to propel himself to a successful multi-media, marketing, and athletic career.

Melo has experienced much success on the Basketball court which has laid the ground work and foundation for his super-stardom. It started in Syracuse when his youthful swagger and bravado helped him become one of the few Freshman centerpieces ever to propel his Team to a National Title in college basketball history. Then as a lottery pick in the NBA draft, he was selected by the hapless Denver Nuggets who he immediately helped transform into perennial post season contenders. Along the way, Melo established himself as one of the NBA's most explosive and versatile scoring threats (despite lackluster defense) and a Perennial All-Star/Fan favorite. Melo also established a reputation as one of the game's two or three best and most ruthless closer's in the NBA with the game on the line. Melo represented his country in the China Summer Olympics and helped the Dream Team bring the Gold Medal back to U.S. basketball. Melo's status as a star was only further solidified in 2010 when the attention surrounding his desire to secure a trade and leave Denver to join Amare Stoudemire in NY with the Knicks reached a fever pitch. His arrival in NYC helped breathe life into one of country's basketball capitals and return Madison Square Garden to it's prestigious status as the center of the basketball world, known as "the Mecca".

Melo has his own highly lucrative and successful shoe line under one of the best-selling and arguably most popular sneaker brand in recent history, Nike subsidiary and Michael Jordan's signature shoe line -- Jordan. Melo has been releasing his "Melo" line for close to a decade with substantial sales and success.

Melo has also established himself as a successful spokes person and company front man. In addition to his Jordan shoe deal, Melo is the spokes person for Boost Mobile, Johnson & Johnson, Phiten Performance Accessories, as well as many others.

Carmelo is also involved in the music industry appearing on several Hip-Hop mix tapes even trying his hand at rapping in a few. Carmelo recently started his own Hip Hop recording label, which recently inked popular Philly bases, MC Cassidy.

Even his marriage to former MTV Vee-Jay, La La Vazquez, has garnered enormous amounts of attention and news/tabloid coverage. Their wedding was attended by A-list guests stretching from TV/Movies to the Music and Sports industries. The power couple was even the subject of their own celeb-reality TV show, La La's Full Court Wedding.

In summation, as a ball player Carmello is clearly a great talent and a premier player but he certainly isn't the sports biggest star. However, when combined with his tabloid style personal life, his Music/TV success, and the huge endorsement and sponsorship deals, he is clearly one of the country's biggest stars in one of the country's biggest cities/media market.

PS. I know this was excessive in detail but I needed practice writing and composing concise argumentative essays and because I was familiar with this topic, I used this opportunity for practice.

Melos basketball skill set is better than Lebron's.
Dont get me wrong Lebron is the best player in the game, mainly because he has unheard of athleticism. If Melo had LBJ athleticism, same case could be made if Dirk had LBJ athleticism they would be the best players in the league. Genetics shaped the body types for players like Melo, Felton, Baron Davis, World Peace to name a few.

Knicks21
08-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Its funny how p.eople criticize Knick fans but little do they realize is that we have the highest basketball IQ of any other fans NY is the mecca of basketball, ask any super star... they will all say Yes.

Come on dude that is a bit excessive.

RZZZA
08-07-2011, 01:19 AM

Yep...that post was definitely way overboard, lol. How big is that guys head, he must not be able to fit it through the doorway of his own house.

LA_Raiders
08-07-2011, 02:00 AM
yes, he always beats LeBroom

coryd238
08-07-2011, 02:57 AM
yes, he always beats LeBroom

He's something like 11-2 against Lebron, and around the same for Durant. So take that as you will.

THE GIPPER
08-07-2011, 03:09 AM
Does 'Melo's basketball skill set qualify him as a Superstar? Maybe, but borderline at best. However, in today's landscape an athlete can be defined as a superstar through an achieved status that does not just relate to an individual's skill set.

lol you lost all credibility after the first sentence i didnt even read the rest.

THE GIPPER
08-07-2011, 03:14 AM

TEACH ME YOUR WAYS OH GREAT BASKETBALL MONARCH OF RUCKER PARK :worthy:

btw im from canada so i automatically know more about making igloos and taming polar bears than you do........ seriously ask any superstar they will say yes.

mahdi8792
08-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Being a superstar is more than just putting up the numbers, its about media hype and a strong fan base... Monta has less media hype and fan base then Melo.

Evolution23
08-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Yep...that post was definitely way overboard, lol. How big is that guys head, he must not be able to fit it through the doorway of his own house.

Well he might be the Dos Equis guy. No wait, thats me!

Evolution23
08-08-2011, 11:22 AM
TEACH ME YOUR WAYS OH GREAT BASKETBALL MONARCH OF RUCKER PARK :worthy:

btw im from canada so i automatically know more about making igloos and taming polar bears than you do........ seriously ask any superstar they will say yes.

lol nice

TheRunKiller
08-08-2011, 11:01 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: i can't stop laughing

TheRunKiller
08-08-2011, 11:02 PM
but anyways, yes melo is a superstar

BULLSFAN0810
08-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Hey guys,

my superstar list:

Wade
lebron
dirk
kobe
rose
howard
durant
Paul

elite players:
carmelo
stoudemire
pau gasol

etc

i respect ur opinion butMontae isnt elite..maybe a star. he is a 6-2 chucker who isnt a pg or sg...he is fools gold. a good player but 1 demensional. you put him on a team and expect him to lead theyll fail. you put him on the spurs he may have a chance. Melo has an actual Nba body. can post shoot and is an under rated passer and dribbler....And he has the best md range game outside KOBE......So Melo is a super star,and Ellis is an ALLSTAR.

And it goes ELITE THEN SUPERSTAR and THEN ALLSTAR, to be ELITE MEANS BEST OF THE FEW you can WIN W JUST THEM AND Decent PLAYERS, TO BE A SUPERSTAR mEANS ONE OF THE BEST.

ELITE:KOBE LBJ ROSE HOWARD

SUPERSTAR:WADE,MELO,Dirk Durant,Cp3

AllStar:Montae Ellis etc

Chronz
08-09-2011, 02:55 AM
Monta aint no All-Star WTF, since when do cancerous chucker who cant defend their own position become all-stars?

BULLSFAN0810
08-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Monta aint no All-Star WTF, since when do cancerous chucker who cant defend their own position become all-stars?

have a good yr and get voted on the team...youll be considered for allstar forever....David West is considered an allstar

Kevin Love is an Allstar...Basically AllStar is a step above role player

coryd238
08-09-2011, 03:23 AM
i respect ur opinion butMontae isnt elite..maybe a star. he is a 6-2 chucker who isnt a pg or sg...he is fools gold. a good player but 1 demensional. you put him on a team and expect him to lead theyll fail. you put him on the spurs he may have a chance. Melo has an actual Nba body. can post shoot and is an under rated passer and dribbler....And he has the best md range game outside KOBE......So Melo is a super star,and Ellis is an ALLSTAR.

And it goes ELITE THEN SUPERSTAR and THEN ALLSTAR, to be ELITE MEANS BEST OF THE FEW you can WIN W JUST THEM AND Decent PLAYERS, TO BE A SUPERSTAR mEANS ONE OF THE BEST.

ELITE:KOBE LBJ ROSE HOWARD

SUPERSTAR:WADE,MELO,Dirk Durant,Cp3

AllStar:Montae Ellis etc

Lol at Rose being elite, while Wade isn't. Typical Bulls fan.

And AllStar is more than one step over role player. You can't be serious with that statement.

PleaseBeNice
08-09-2011, 03:28 AM
superstar has no concrete definition but i would say he is.

bbcmillionaire
08-09-2011, 04:26 AM
Anytime you know the ball is going to a player, adjust to that circumstance, and then that player still scores on the regular is a superstar to me. Lol and p.s. How could the youngest player to ever win the MVP not be a superstar but amare(according to a poster here) be a superstar? Gtfoh with the biased hate on a player because of a fan base

BULLSFAN0810
08-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Lol at Rose being elite, while Wade isn't. Typical Bulls fan.

And AllStar is more than one step over role player. You can't be serious with that statement.

yes i am...ie...B4 Shaq Wade was very good, made little noise contending wise by himself...with Shaq he looked as good as Kobe...shows how dominate Shaq was.

B4 LBJ(and read my post, im no LBJ fan)Wade was barely making playoffs...LBJ BOSH come their in the Ship.

Rose took his college team to the ship and he wasnt as good as he is now...rose comes to the bulls w basically same core weve had for 5-6 yrs we are contenders. do you see the pattern? this guy like every elite player somehow can get you to the ship or make you viable.

Im no wade hater but seeing is believing Wade is a talent but hes no Rose.

mjm07
08-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Rose is a talent but he's no Wade. I made the correction for you. Youre welcome.

29$JerZ
08-09-2011, 01:15 PM
And it goes ELITE THEN SUPERSTAR and THEN ALLSTAR, to be ELITE MEANS BEST OF THE FEW you can WIN W JUST THEM AND Decent PLAYERS

Rose took his college team to the ship and he wasnt as good as he is now...rose comes to the bulls w basically same core weve had for 5-6 yrs we are contenders. do you see the pattern? this guy like every elite player somehow can get you to the ship or make you viable.

You may want to re evaluate what an Elite player is because Rose for sure isnt an elite player and your definition clashes with your opinion of Rose.

Kashmir13579
08-09-2011, 03:54 PM
You may want to re evaluate what an Elite player is because Rose for sure isnt an elite player and your definition clashes with your opinion of Rose.

This thread is one huge joke that never ends.

Evolution23
08-09-2011, 04:02 PM
yes i am...ie...B4 Shaq Wade was very good, made little noise contending wise by himself...with Shaq he looked as good as Kobe...shows how dominate Shaq was.

B4 LBJ(and read my post, im no LBJ fan)Wade was barely making playoffs...LBJ BOSH come their in the Ship.

Wade plays much better defense than Rose. That is part of basketball too!

juno10
08-09-2011, 04:04 PM

:laugh:

juno10
08-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Wade plays much better defense than Rose. That is part of basketball too!

lol yeah and not just that wade is better in every facet of the game not even close.

T-Girl Jenna
08-09-2011, 05:34 PM
lol yeah and not just that wade is better in every facet of the game not even close.

:facepalm:

lol, u sound ignorant, rose has been in the league for 3 yrs, wade has been in for what? 8-9 yrs???

coryd238
08-09-2011, 06:04 PM
:facepalm:

lol, u sound ignorant, rose has been in the league for 3 yrs, wade has been in for what? 8-9 yrs???

Why does that matter? You don't judge players based on potential.

DenButsu
08-10-2011, 03:59 AM
Since there's no real universally agreed upon definition of "superstar" (top 5?/10?/15?... at least one ring?/multiple rings?... All-Star/1st/2nd/3rd team honors?... ) there's really no point in answering this question with a simple yes or no.

In terms of pure star power, he definitely is (fame/popularity/endorsements/name recognition/etc.). Whether that's merited or not is a complex question, complicated especially because so few players at his level or above have such a divided, unbalanced game... in his case, an incredible offensive game, and a deeply flawed defensive game. And again, whether his weaknesses knock him down enough pegs to be unable to call him a "superstar" all depends on the definition.

Bruno
08-10-2011, 04:19 AM
A.) Any idiot with this "thing's" name should not be taken seriously, whatsoever. It's creepi......and gay. Sorri, but yea...

That's very non-dude of you. If you're gona rep the dude, you need to abide.

MelkyNYY
08-10-2011, 04:25 AM
my brain hurts

Hoodmorning
08-12-2011, 08:19 PM
hes one of the 10-15 top players in the game, but not a superstar, hes like tracy mcgrady 1.5

pedsdmd
08-12-2011, 08:47 PM
hes one of the 10-15 top players in the game, but not a superstar, hes like tracy mcgrady 1.5

Now there is a contradiction

Cal827
08-12-2011, 08:47 PM
As I said previously, think of some of the superstars..... Bryant, Lebron, Duncan, Wade, Howard.... They are superstars because they play well on BOTH ends of the court. Now look at some stars like Dirk and Durant... They are subpar defensively, but many consider them superstars, because their deficiencies on defense are masked in their respective team 's systems. Melo reminds me of Chris Bosh while he here in Toronto... He put up monster numbers and was clearly a star player, but unfortunately he wasn't on a team that was able to mask his defenses (our team sucked and still sucks on defense), therefore was never considered a superstar.

Melo right now is a star (just like Amar'e)... They are hell to defend (probably two of the top 3 in each of their respective position when it comes to offense), but they are both bad defensively.. If New York is able to add a key player or two that are dedicated to defense (I Honestly think they should make a push for Dwight and sign him over paul if they can)... then they will both probably be looked at as superstars.

I will say this, for all of the Hell that the Knicks fans had to go through for the past decade or so, it's nice to see their fans be rewarded finally for their Loyalty with a team that finally looks like it will go somewhere. :D

Hoodmorning
08-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Now there is a contradiction

i say that in that t-mac never made it out the first round and melo did it once