PDA

View Full Version : " 16 NBA Stars Who Are Going to be Ready to Hang 'Em Up"

KaganRS
08-03-2011, 10:40 AM
With the lockout looming it got me thinking about NBA players retiring after the NBA comes back and they've lost a year.

I've been fortunate enough to remember the Jordan era's stars retiring- and will miss this generation's stars when they retire.

This thread was inspired by an article on Bleacher Report here...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/786567-jason-kidd-and-15-other-nba-stars-that-are-going-to-be-ready-to-hang-em-up

What NBA stars will you miss the most when they retire and why ? Homers welcome here.

Mile High Champ
08-03-2011, 10:51 AM
ew Bleacher report... Nasty source.. :puke:

GoPacers33
08-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Bleacher report is total BS

THE MTL
08-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Bleacher report is pretty much spot-on throughout the whole article though. I agree pretty much with everything.

I think Jason Kidd, Grant Hill, and Steve Nash will play until 40.

I can see Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Ben Wallace, Jermaine O'Neal retiring next season or the one after that.

Cool007
08-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I agree with most of the list too.

Most of them have 2 or 3 years at best.

Those 1 year at best thing is shoot or miss with some players. They COULD technically play another year but no more than 50 games or no more than 8-10mpg.

LosDoyers1
08-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Don't really care much for Bleacher Report, but most of the players are pretty much at the tail end of their careers.

Surprised he put Kobe at No. 1 though. I think if anything, Kobe is the one that could extend his career a couple years the way he works in the offseason. Always making adjustments and changes to his offensive repertoire.

sventhedog
08-04-2011, 07:51 AM
ben wallace should retire.

kozelkid
08-04-2011, 10:19 AM
There is no way Kobe will accept retirement within the next 5 years unless he faces MAJOR injury issues.

For better or worse, he's going to be trying to go for 40.

KaganRS
08-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Bleacher Report is just fun to read ... i like the way they have countdowns

MrfadeawayJB
08-17-2011, 06:20 PM
I miss the days of Ben Wallace in Detroit with the afro lol

iggypop123
08-17-2011, 06:31 PM
bleacher report is awful. its like they decided to give a blog to a bunch of kids in high shcool who like sports.

juno10
08-17-2011, 06:35 PM
ew Bleacher report... Nasty source.. :puke:

it's an opinion he's trying to share i don't know hows thats nasty, if it was actually news than yes this would be a bad source.

LakersMaster24
08-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Why do you people hate on Bleacher Report so much? Its not even a news source, its just a bunch of people writing interesting articles, and they have really nice slideshow. You people just hate on it for no reason.

I agree with everything the guy wrote there. Obviously I will miss Kobe the most. But players like Tim Duncan, Grant Hill and Kidd will be missed alot too.

Bishnoff
08-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Out of that list, I'll miss Nash, Kobe, Dirk, Marion, TD, and Hill after they retire.

All the others have either already faded or are players who I don't really care for. A few of the guys on the Bleacher Report won't retire for a few more seasons however.

McJoe
08-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Bleacher report is total BS

Bleacher Report is essentially equivalent to us except they write articles rather than post on forums. Anyone can create an account and write an article and post pictures. Most of them (like that one) are mostly for shock value because the people on that site are trolls who got tossed from sites like this one and they just want to make people upset. Kobe Bryant scored over 25 a game last year and is making 20+ million dollars. The chances of him retiring after a 1 year lockout are the same as Lebron or Wade deciding they want to play in China and retiring or something like that.

Anyway, I could see the lockout pushing guys like Jason Kidd or a good percentage of the veteran backups in the league into retirement. Kidd losing a year and yet another step might set his game far enough back that he feels the need to retire.

LakersMaster24
08-18-2011, 02:28 AM
Bleacher Report is essentially equivalent to us except they write articles rather than post on forums. Anyone can create an account and write an article and post pictures. Most of them (like that one) are mostly for shock value because the people on that site are trolls who got tossed from sites like this one and they just want to make people upset. Kobe Bryant scored over 25 a game last year and is making 20+ million dollars. The chances of him retiring after a 1 year lockout are the same as Lebron or Wade deciding they want to play in China and retiring or something like that.

Anyway, I could see the lockout pushing guys like Jason Kidd or a good percentage of the veteran backups in the league into retirement. Kidd losing a year and yet another step might set his game far enough back that he feels the need to retire.

Actually not everyone can write articles, you need to submit an example of your writing and then they will see if you qualify. They accept only about 20% of people that apply.

LosDoyers1
08-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Out of that list, I'll miss Nash, Kobe, Dirk, Marion, TD, and Hill after they retire.

All the others have either already faded or are players who I don't really care for. A few of the guys on the Bleacher Report won't retire for a few more seasons however.

I'll definitely miss Kobe, Dirk and Hill. Imagine if Hill never gets hurt. I think more people will appreciate Kobe more (or I hope so) when he retires and the same might be said for Dirk. I didn't even appreciate for him as a player until this year.

OlivaThor
08-18-2011, 06:34 AM
I can imagine Dirk out of NBA.. He shows how fenomenal player he is and now he just can play in born Germany until 60yo

DenButsu
08-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Why do you people hate on Bleacher Report so much? Its not even a news source, its just a bunch of people writing interesting articles, and they have really nice slideshow. You people just hate on it for no reason.

Here's the problem with BR:

They present themselves as a news source, and they've rigged their site somehow so that google news searches turn up BR "articles" written by nobodies (they may as well be any PSD poster) as if they're legitimate news, even though they have zero sources, zero inside information, and generally poor analysis and insight. Moreover, more often than not these "articles" actually have blatantly wrong or misleading information. (Say, for example, the notion that the likes of Kobe or Dirk are on the verge of retirement).

Then what happens is that some PSD poster NBA fans do a news search (say, for Kobe), BR "articles" show up, and without verifying the information using legitimate, recognized media sources, they post threads based on what essentially is crap that some random NBA fan pulled out of his keister.

Then the front page of the PSD NBA Forum gets littered with misleading, mistaken thread titles and thread content, and the mods have to clean it up, which creates extra work for them to do which wouldn't be necessary if more people knew exactly what Bleacher Report is, which is to say that it is NOT a credible news source.

So any time someone posts something based on BR content, it's worth reminding everyone what it is so fewer false news reports end up on the front pages of PSD.

I'm of the opinion that BR content shouldn't be used at all as the basis of posting new threads. But if people persist in doing so, those thread titles should at the very least be punctuated by question marks.

KnicksR4Real
08-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Bleacher report is pretty much spot-on throughout the whole article though. I agree pretty much with everything.

I think Jason Kidd, Grant Hill, and Steve Nash will play until 40.

I can see Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Ben Wallace, Jermaine O'Neal retiring next season or the one after that.

this

LakersMaster24
08-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Here's the problem with BR:

They present themselves as a news source, and they've rigged their site somehow so that google news searches turn up BR "articles" written by nobodies (they may as well be any PSD poster) as if they're legitimate news, even though they have zero sources, zero inside information, and generally poor analysis and insight. Moreover, more often than not these "articles" actually have blatantly wrong or misleading information. (Say, for example, the notion that the likes of Kobe or Dirk are on the verge of retirement).

Then what happens is that some PSD poster NBA fans do a news search (say, for Kobe), BR "articles" show up, and without verifying the information using legitimate, recognized media sources, they post threads based on what essentially is crap that some random NBA fan pulled out of his keister.

Then the front page of the PSD NBA Forum gets littered with misleading, mistaken thread titles and thread content, and the mods have to clean it up, which creates extra work for them to do which wouldn't be necessary if more people knew exactly what Bleacher Report is, which is to say that it is NOT a credible news source.

So any time someone posts something based on BR content, it's worth reminding everyone what it is so fewer false news reports end up on the front pages of PSD.

I'm of the opinion that BR content shouldn't be used at all as the basis of posting new threads. But if people persist in doing so, those thread titles should at the very least be punctuated by question marks.

I get it now! Thanks!

Kashmir13579
08-18-2011, 05:41 PM

BAHAHAHAahahahaa.... Wait.... he said... "they have a really nice slide show".... AHHHHAHAHAHAHAH.. i'm dyin'

MTar786
08-19-2011, 02:06 AM
withing the next 5 years these players should be gone

keving garnett
kobe
tim duncan
ben wallace
jason kidd
steve nash
tmac (even though he pretty much already left)
vince carter
grant hill
dirk
pierce
allen
artest
gasol
odom
baron davis
jason terry
billups

wow, i cant even imagine the nba without these guys

especially kobe, kg, duncan, shaq, kidd, dirk and tmac.. even iverson

More-Than-Most
08-19-2011, 02:29 AM
I refuse to think about Nash Retiring. He will brett favre it and play forever

naps
08-19-2011, 02:58 AM
Kobe isn't retiring anytime soon. Damn, people always live in the moment. Last year, Kobe was the best (While he actually wasn't not) and now people are retiring him in a couple of years. Now some people level Dirk as the best while he isn't. I expect the same about Dirk next year if Dallas has an early exit from the playoffs.

Kobe will play 5 more years for sure barring any serious injury. He's on the decline for last couple of years but nowhere near a serious decline.

LakersMaster24
08-19-2011, 03:27 AM
BAHAHAHAahahahaa.... Wait.... he said... "they have a really nice slide show".... AHHHHAHAHAHAHAH.. i'm dyin'

I ment slideshows*

Yea, whats wrong with that? I like it because it is easier to break down the information. You guys are hating it to the extreme.