PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion: new stadium for the jays?

BBadger1989
08-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I know it probably won't happen for a long time but do you think the jays, Rogers and toronto could support building a baseball Only stadium. Considering Rogers got the skydome for a steal at 25 mil. And how mug they could potentially make from selling the land for development. What do you guys think?

mad_mooney
08-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Not going to happen.

They would still need considerable help from the city / province and given the current financial condition of the City of Toronto, that won't happen.

Rugger
08-02-2011, 02:43 PM
It really would seem silly to build a new stadium when the current one is only 20 years old.

the_jon
08-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Replace the turf with real grass. That's all I really care about.

Bombtista
08-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Replace the turf with real grass. That's all I really care about.

Well thats the benefit of having a baseball only stadium.

The Rogers Centre is used for many other things so unless its converted to an only baseball stadium having real grass is not even an option.

3mikee_
08-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Feel like the turf doesn't bother me much anymore, its more of an advantage for us because our players know how to play balls on it a lot better than road teams.

As for the stadium, don't see that happening for a long time, what's wrong with the current one? lol

BlueJayFanDan
08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Stadium is fine. Some of the current stadiums are soooo much older than ours. We have no reason to get rid of such a new place.

King Rick
08-02-2011, 03:21 PM
I love Skydome (do not get me started on the Rogers Centre bs). Minus the fact that it feels like I'm in a concrete hell. They just need to spruce things up a bit and it'll be fine

Dol-Fan
08-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Rogers Centre could use some upgrades, but a new stadium? Waste of money, IMO. I would love to play on grass like anyone else...but I just don't see the practicality in splurging on a new stadium so soon.

I'd love to see the interior of Rogers Centre redone a little bit. It feels like a concrete jungle in there. Something resembling a unique experience would be cool, too - I have no suggestions here, but the atmosphere and everything about the experience is just so blah.

A change back to SkyDome would be welcome, too. Heck, I'd even go for "Rogers SkyDome"

Towelie
08-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I've been to it many times, and it's a nice stadium not great but nice. The grass would really add to the experience but like someone said it's used for many other things that it seems impossible. Also think as everyone is saying that it's just really dark and dungeon feeling.

wagnall
08-02-2011, 04:08 PM
I agree with most, nothing wrong with Rogers Centre that adding some extras in it. Maybe some hot tubs and a slide or rocks and trees, I don't know really. Come to watch the game not the stadium, but it would be nice to freshin it up a bit. Some games take forever.
20 years ago we were the toast of the world with the roof, now its very common but they've all got a little fancier as they go up. But again, I come to watch the games and get SHAFTED at the concession and beer stand.

ryhno
08-02-2011, 04:20 PM
As much as I'd love for the Jays to get a new stadium, I doubt it will ever happen. At least in the near future it wont.

I've been to Jays game my self. One thing I cant stand is being in the 500 level behind the outfield. You cant even see half the field, and have to watch the game from the screen.

There is alot of work that could be done to the skydome ( yes my self like to refer it to skydome too ). I don't think its about how long its been around, but the fact that it needs work and needs reconstruction on the skydome. The old concrete look and the turf, does not make me believe I'm at a baseball park. Plus the view is bland only to have a CN tower too look at. Overall the construction and design is out of date. I think they focused on making history, by having an re-attractable roof, rather on the design its self. But that's just my two-cents. Of course its a little too late now, to build a new stadium. I'm sure the Jays would have to be contenders again, a fan base where they can rely on fans to come out and support the team and the new stadium ( or in this case, more money to build a stadium ).

On the other note, an idea i have is to just re-construct the stadium just like in New York with the MSG. Of course the Jays would need a place to play during the season, maybe at the old exhibition place. But maybe they can take down the 500 level in the outfield, work on interior design, as well maybe give the fans a nice view of Toronto ( such as adding windows or open up the seats to give a view of Toronto ). Overall i think that would be the best situation rather than go threw paper work, and deal with the government, etc, etc and god knows if that would even be approved.

Like others said its a good stadium, but needs ALOT of work. I think a re-construction could give the benefits of what the fans are looking for, rather than a complete new stadium. A nice overhaul could be what the Jays should look into.

TO Rapz
08-02-2011, 04:29 PM
I like Rogers centre, the only thing I dislike is that when i walk in, it feels like its a business building. We need to make it more of a sports revenue and change it up from the inside. Other then that, 20 years in, its a waste of money.

Nofear
08-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Two things that will never happen
1. Natural grass
2. Stadium changes structure wise.

Grass will never happen because of the stupid rule that the city has that any building that uses tax payers money must be multi purpose i.e. no grass. I believe BMO field when it went grass had to repay tax money before it could make the change but not 100% on that. I know for sure that TFC was on the hook for all the costs and maintainence fees.

The Skydome used a boat load of tax money so it won't be grass ever (plus its not practical) and any new building will have too much tax money tied into the build to make it grass.

Secondly, the Skydome layout is building locked and thus could never be revamped to open up the view or some type of city view because of the hotel. The roof also prohibits the ease of change such as an outside city view.

Basically, the roof, the hotel, the prohibited use of grass by the city and the overall cost prevent a stadium revamp and also prevent a new stadium from being on the horizon. Basically, the Jays fans are screwed and stuck with this concrete pit.

Personally, I like the dome just because its always been cool since day one but the turf just kills it for me. Even a new stadium would be turf anyways so I'm not even hoping for a new stadium

ghost dog
08-02-2011, 05:29 PM
I love the place. One of my favorite memories is Jorge Bell standing in right field with his back to the infield watching the roof move. Things like that are priceless. The turf is not carpet on concrete anymore so it's fine leave it alone

idrinkpepsi
08-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Stadium isn't even 25 years old, if we were to get a new stadium it would be a waste of money at this point. It should be revamped a little though just minor upgrades here and there it is perfectly placed in Toronto (easy to get to from trains, buses and traffic isn't terrible for the most part)

Luca68
08-02-2011, 05:56 PM
why in the hell would we want a new stadium.

Billyen
08-02-2011, 10:16 PM
It's more of the other stadiums have gotten better, not that the SkyDome has got worse.

I like the Roger's SkyDome idea.

Nick O
08-02-2011, 10:48 PM
its not the nicest stadium but there nothing wrong with it.... that would make no sense its fully functional no need

wamco
08-02-2011, 11:08 PM
I love not sitting in the rain, really all that matters.

nithanyo
08-02-2011, 11:11 PM
I like the way the turf looks in tbay. If we can get that turf without that crap kicking out I would be happy. Oh a dirt infield like tbay would look amazing as well. Both very possible

Luca68
08-02-2011, 11:14 PM
its a pretty nice looking stadium especially with the colord lights outside the buliding, and the roof that can open and close, saves us from rain, extreme heat and gives a nice view of the cn tower. :) let alone it holds 49,000 people, thats very functional to me .

Nick O
08-02-2011, 11:18 PM
its a pretty nice looking stadium especially with the colord lights outside the buliding, and the roof that can open and close, saves us from rain, extreme heat and gives a nice view of the cn tower. :) let alone it holds 49,000 people, thats very functional to me .

The stadium looks MUCH nicer with a large crowd ;)

Bubba54
08-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Don't laugh. But WAY down the road if Toronto could by the grace of god land an NFL team they would HAVE to build a new stadium for them to comply with NFL rules on capacity and other things. They could then rig it up with removable seats, walls, etc etc and make it work for both.

But until that time, not gonna happen. And Skydome is still a decent place. Although I was in 200 outfield on Friday, we all thought Lind hit one out, it was caught at the wall, stupid outfield design there for the fans.

scottythegreat1
08-03-2011, 12:28 AM
I dont mind Rogers Centre. I can easily park the car in Burlington/Oakville and take the GO Train to Union Station. Theres plenty of places to go afterwards, its near a subway station, etc;

Now that my personal feelings towards this are gone...lets get to the facts.

In 1984...the CFL Grey Cup was played at Exhibition Stadium, it was the coldest game with lots of snow....at that time people went to the city to get a multi-purpose, multi-weather stadium. After archetects submited ideas for the roof, people were lobbying for locations, etc; Initial projected cost: 150 million. 90 million paid by 3 layers of government, the rest was paid by corporations that got 10 years of a luxury suite for free. Then.......problems with moving a locomotive watering tower...the addition of walkways (the "Skywalk") to union station, and passenger bridges to cross over 9 or 10 rows of train tracks (times 2)..the addtional hotel and restaurant facilities, and the fact that the building took longer to build.....brings the total of Skydome to 560 million (Canadian) dollars.

Yes! Thats right, before Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium came along in 2009 and for 20 years, Skydome was the most expensive stadium ever built to have MLB games in. Do you really think the the City of Toronto, the Province of Ontario, and the Canadian Government are going to give out money in a time when all three of them are running these big deficits??? I dont think so.

We actually have the fifth largest amount of seating capacity in the MLB (49,539 is considered a sellout crowd). Yes! We have had 5 games this year that have had over 42,500 (approximate average capacity of an MLB ballpark). If we were to build a new "baseball only" stadium, odds are, itll probably be a 40,000 seat stadium, so we would lose out on some additional revenue when theres a real special day like a Roy Halladay return. We have shown that we can fill that place when we win, so when we actually DO start winning again, we will fill the palce.

The reasons why people are crying for another stadium to be built is:

#1: We want to have an NFL team here, so we need a 70,000 seat stadium for that, which we probably wont fill anyways, we arent nearly as patriotic about the NFL as many other places in the US are, many high schools have their own stadiums for football, I dont know of any places near Toronto that have that (but I dont always go to Toronto).

#2 We want an All-Star game. All-Star games have become MLBs way to showing off new ballparks, since Toronto had its All-Star game in 1991, as far as I know only 5 ballparks that werent new have had all-star games (Boston, New York, Chicago White Sox, LA Angels and Kansas City hosts in 2012). So, if we DONT build a new ballpark, we probably wont get an All-Star game until 2039 (ie. to celebrate its 50 years of existence)

#3: The average age of ballparks is declining. I dont know how many people actually know this, but EVERY YEAR since Toronto got Skydome, some other team got it's new ballpark too (2 teams some years). Skydome is now the 8th oldest stadium for MLB (Fenway, Wrigley, Oakland, Kaufmann, Dodger, Angel, and Sun Life [new stadium for Florida Marlins next year] are older). Skydome is now 22 years old, and you can calculate that basically every stadium has about 30 year life expectancy (by my calculation). So its time to think about it....however as said earlier, try getting the government to pony up the money

#4: Every baseball stadium has decided to go back to the retro-look while we went for the luxurious/futuristic look (its not very luxurious now, obviously).

#5: People actually want double-header games, so they can see 2 games in one day. Unfortunately, it wont happen in Toronto with a retractable roof, which I argue should be mandatory for EVERY STADIUM to have a climate controlled environment for the fans and players alike.

Billyen
08-03-2011, 12:30 AM
The stadium looks MUCH nicer with a large crowd ;)

Aaah...that's the ticket...put 49,000 in there and cover up the ulgyness. 8-)

BBadger1989
08-03-2011, 01:05 PM
I would like a new stadium but totally agree that the city would not invest in one. Since it isn't possible to get a new stadium in Toronto there is a need for the Rogers center to be renovated it is in no way a good environment for baseball. An although there is the argument that it is multiple purpose it really is only used for the jays and Argos. Concerts and other events pretty much stick to the ACC now because of the acoustic environent and the overall design of the Areana. Would could be done to make the Rogers center more of a baseball environment. I like the idea of having an infield like the rays bit more then that needs to be done. I would like something done about the concrete look some kind of facade needs to be put over it. Every time I am at a game and my friends agree its like watching a game in a parking lot. I watch a ton of jays games but the experience of the Rogers center kills it for me so I usually stick to tv. I feel like this is one thin hindering attendance.

Sorry for the gramatic mistakes I am on my iPhone

nithanyo
08-03-2011, 01:39 PM
with todays technology why can't they find turf that looks more like grass????

Thats all I'm asking for. Turf that actually looks like grass and dirt infield base paths. Everything else is fine

Byronicle
08-03-2011, 01:57 PM
no they dont need a new one, that is just plain silly

we dont even sell out every game like they do in Yankee, Red Sox, Philly and the Cubs. I could understand if they do and they need a bigger stadium because our attendance skyrocketed but its pretty much half empty all the time

jaysrocksox
08-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Someone mentioned temporarily playing at exhibition place....that was torn down years ago to make way for parking, which was then turned into BMO field. The dome is fine with the roof open, but when it's closed is not so nice.

3Blueforyou
08-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Our ****ing team plays in a warehouse on fake grass, an overly urban industrial feel to a experiences based organic sport. I have played at the skydome multiple times, it sucks. I have played at some college and even a high school field down south that has better look and feel. That stadium was designed by someone who had no clue of what the game of baseball is. It sucks to watch a game, and drastically needs an overhaul because i doubt a new building would be an option.

That place actually makes me mad.

GrantHustle
08-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Our ****ing team plays in a warehouse on fake grass, an overly urban industrial feel to a experiences based organic sport. I have played at the skydome multiple times, it sucks. I have played at some college and even a high school field down south that has better look and feel. That stadium was designed by someone who had no clue of what the game of baseball is. It sucks to watch a game, and drastically needs an overhaul because i doubt a new building would be an option.

This....plus that astro turf is hell on your legs

H-MYK
08-03-2011, 08:12 PM
I doubt the Jays will get a new stadium any time soon. They don't need it.

jaysrocksox
08-03-2011, 08:50 PM

It was never meant to be baseball only. Even if the person had a clue about baseball, it wouldn't have mattered. The place was always meant to be a multi purpose venue for football, soccer, concerts, etc..

wamco
08-03-2011, 11:07 PM
2 questions:

Did i miss it or is Hard Rock not there anymore?

why can't we play doubleheaders with a retractable dome?

jaysrocksox
08-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Hard Rock is indeed gone from there, which sucks. That one had better food than the one at Yonge/Dundas, but I highly recommend Sneaky Dees at College/Bathurst :D

BBadger1989
08-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Does windows even exist anymore? It's dead every game if it does.

Jamiecballer
08-04-2011, 10:18 AM
i can tell you i liked the Rogers Center a lot more before i went to PNC, Comerica and new Miller Park this past year. :(

JAYZFAN9
08-04-2011, 11:02 AM
No one supports this team as is, why waste hundreds of millions on a new building?

MVP1
08-04-2011, 11:07 AM
No one supports this team as is, why waste hundreds of millions on a new building?

You can say the same thing for 80% of the ballparks that were made in the last 20 years.

BBadger1989
08-04-2011, 11:22 AM
i can tell you i liked the Rogers Center a lot more before i went to PNC, Comerica and new Miller Park this past year. :(

Last year I went to the Jake and it was unbelievable. It was the best baseball experience I have been to and it was purely the environment.

Dol-Fan
08-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Last year I went to the Jake and it was unbelievable. It was the best baseball experience I have been to and it was purely the environment.

The Jake is the only other park that I've been to, and even though it's not considered one of the top parks, the experience was so much better than SkyDome. I really want to go to Comerica, PNC, and Target. Hopefully I'll get to Fenway and Yankee Stadium sometime soon, as well.

Dol-Fan
08-04-2011, 11:27 AM

come on...tell us how you really feel and don't hold back :)

Jamiecballer
08-04-2011, 01:03 PM

shoot. i forgot i went there as well. Progressive Field it's called now, right? went to Cleveland on the same trip we took in PNC in Pittsburgh.

i can tell you right now if you liked that - it comes a distant fourth to the other 3 stadiums i mentioned.

my wife and i go every summer on a trip and hit at least 2 ballparks - it's probably the highlight of my year - a total blast.

Jamiecballer
08-04-2011, 01:05 PM
The Jake is the only other park that I've been to, and even though it's not considered one of the top parks, the experience was so much better than SkyDome. I really want to go to Comerica, PNC, and Target. Hopefully I'll get to Fenway and Yankee Stadium sometime soon, as well.

saddle up partner, we'll pick you up and take you with us next time. we can trash Bargnani the whole ride down :)

jaysrocksox
08-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Safeco is pretty awesome as well.

3Blueforyou
08-04-2011, 05:25 PM
It was never meant to be baseball only. Even if the person had a clue about baseball, it wouldn't have mattered. The place was always meant to be a multi purpose venue for football, soccer, concerts, etc..

Multi purpose or not, why could you not give it any character? Why does it have to look like a gray prison? why do i sit in the 500's and wish i could actually go to a game? It sucks there is no way around that, multi purpose is a poor excuse and you know it. ****kkkkkk that place, PNC is stupid nice. I have been 3 times, never been in a bad seat upper deck, right field bleachers, left field bleachers.

Dol-Fan
08-04-2011, 07:07 PM
saddle up partner, we'll pick you up and take you with us next time. we can trash Bargnani the whole ride down :)

:cheers:

jaysrocksox
08-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Multi purpose or not, why could you not give it any character? Why does it have to look like a gray prison? why do i sit in the 500's and wish i could actually go to a game? It sucks there is no way around that, multi purpose is a poor excuse and you know it. ****kkkkkk that place, PNC is stupid nice. I have been 3 times, never been in a bad seat upper deck, right field bleachers, left field bleachers.

Sure, it's a terrible excuse now, but at the time it was THE thing. It wasn't until the 90s that parks started to go retro again, many places built during that era (70s-80s) were similar. Think Metrodome, Superdome, Seattle Kingdome, etc...

2009mvp
08-05-2011, 12:32 AM
^^Yeah it really was just bad timing. The retractable roof thing stuck, the symmetrical concrete multi-purpose facility thing didn't. Whatever, it stinks but I damn sure wouldn't support a new publicly funded stadium.

jakedajewler
08-05-2011, 01:46 AM
They need real grass it's 2011, turf is terrible. Also they need to leave the roof open at all times unless there are thunder shows, baseball is played outside. I also like the idea of sprucing the place up a bit like others have suggested

Crucis
08-05-2011, 02:07 AM
They need real grass it's 2011, turf is terrible. Also they need to leave the roof open at all times unless there are thunder shows, baseball is played outside. I also like the idea of sprucing the place up a bit like others have suggested

Don't visit the Jays forum much, but it's nice to see that you guys have a lot more traffic than a lot of other teams. Kudos!

Don't you guys still have a CFL team in Toronto, and doesn't it play at Skydome as well? If true, I'm not sure that real grass is practical. From what I've heard, you can have a great grass surface for most of the season, but when football teams start playing on it, the grass gets torn up something fierce. I think that this might be a secondary reason for teams preferring baseball only parks, so that they can have good, undamaged grass fields all season.

You guys know your climate better than I ever could, but it seems that you're in a bit of a bind, or a few binds. It must be difficult to play outdoor baseball early and late in the season, which would seem to make a purely open air ball park a tough sell. If the Jays don't build the park on their own dime, they're probably stuck with a multi-use park (i.e. baseball, football, concerts, and so on), which a) tends to end up requiring turf rather than grass, and b) also ends up creating a park that's not very well suited for baseball (i.e. less intimate, not very good sight lines, possibly too big a park for baseball, leaving lots of "unsightly" empty seats, and so on).

Crucis
08-05-2011, 02:14 AM

A lot of people said the same thing about the Florida Marlins, and I suspect that you guys do a much better job of supporting the Jays than Miami fans do for the Marlins. I think that the support for the Marlins was so pathetic that it was silly to build them a new stadium. It'd have been better to pay MLB the money to move them out of the state. Probably cheaper in the long run than building a boondoggle of a new stadium for a fan base that often has less than 10K people, and sometimes even less than 1,000 people showing up to games.

Frankly, you guys could do a lot better than that with a new park, unlikely as it is to happen. You guys at least care a small amount about baseball (at least when it's not hockey season, that is).

That said, I think the reasoning often is sort of "if you build it, they will come". (Also, you have things like luxury boxes, etc., though Skydome may have those, I don't know.)

Crucis
08-05-2011, 02:18 AM
Sure, it's a terrible excuse now, but at the time it was THE thing. It wasn't until the 90s that parks started to go retro again, many places built during that era (70s-80s) were similar. Think Metrodome, Superdome, Seattle Kingdome, etc...

Very true. And not only retro, but baseball only parks are built more to a size that's more reasonable for baseball, so that you don't have those thousands of empty seats most of the time that you used to see in those ugly multi-use stadiums, like Riverfront, old Busch stadium, 3 Rivers, Kingdome, Metrodome, etc.

Crucis
08-05-2011, 02:46 AM
The reasons why people are crying for another stadium to be built is:

#1: We want to have an NFL team here, so we need a 70,000 seat stadium for that, which we probably wont fill anyways, we arent nearly as patriotic about the NFL as many other places in the US are, many high schools have their own stadiums for football, I dont know of any places near Toronto that have that (but I dont always go to Toronto).

#2 We want an All-Star game. All-Star games have become MLBs way to showing off new ballparks, since Toronto had its All-Star game in 1991, as far as I know only 5 ballparks that werent new have had all-star games (Boston, New York, Chicago White Sox, LA Angels and Kansas City hosts in 2012). So, if we DONT build a new ballpark, we probably wont get an All-Star game until 2039 (ie. to celebrate its 50 years of existence)

Yeah, you're right on the money here. MLB has been largely using the ARG to show off new ball parks. Old Yankee Stadium only got it because it was its last year. Not sure why you mention the White Sox, their stadium is somewhat new-ish. (Don't remember when the ASG was there...) Boston wanted to host another ASG for the 100th anniversary of Fenway, but that was probably too soon after the 1998 (?) Fenway ASG.

So you're probably correct that Toronto probably won't be holding an ASG for quite a while. That said, there can't be too many more new ballparks and teams that haven't hosted an ASG since you guys last held one in 1991, so you might get one sooner than you think.

#3: The average age of ballparks is declining. I dont know how many people actually know this, but EVERY YEAR since Toronto got Skydome, some other team got it's new ballpark too (2 teams some years). Skydome is now the 8th oldest stadium for MLB (Fenway, Wrigley, Oakland, Kaufmann, Dodger, Angel, and Sun Life [new stadium for Florida Marlins next year] are older). Skydome is now 22 years old, and you can calculate that basically every stadium has about 30 year life expectancy (by my calculation). So its time to think about it....however as said earlier, try getting the government to pony up the money

This is true, though the way you say it is a bit ... odd. I'd say that there's been a LOT of new ball parks built in the last 20 years, as all of the old ugly multi-use stadiums that were built in the 60's were abandoned. I'm not so sure that I'd assume a 30 year life expectancy on the newer ball parks. I'm thinking that a lot of people didn't like the multi-use stadiums, so there was a lot of pressure to get rid of them. But I don't see the same pressure to get rid of baseball-only parks 30 years from now, if they're well maintained, etc. Hey, Fenway and Wrigley are both nearly 100 years old. (I've read the Wrigley's not in as good a shape as Fenway, perhaps because the Cubs don't put as much money into constant renovation, repairs, and upgrades.)

#4: Every baseball stadium has decided to go back to the retro-look while we went for the luxurious/futuristic look (its not very luxurious now, obviously).

True, though this seems like a somewhat vain reason for wanting a new ballpark. The architecture is out of style? Please, this isn't a dress or a pair of shoes. It's a ball park. I can think of plenty of good reasons for wanting a new park, but this wouldn't be one of them. (Not ripping on you, Scotty, BTW.)

#5: People actually want double-header games, so they can see 2 games in one day. Unfortunately, it wont happen in Toronto with a retractable roof, which I argue should be mandatory for EVERY STADIUM to have a climate controlled environment for the fans and players alike.

Really? I can't say that I've heard this desire for double headers.

As for the roof, what does having a retractable roof have to do with double headers?

As for your desire for making retractable roofs mandatory, the heck you say. Sure, up in Toronto, it may be a bit chilly, maybe even downright cold in April and September (let alone October), but Retractable roofs are not needed. Oh, sure, it's nice to have them to cover a field to prevent rain outs. But for "climate controlled environments for the fans and players alike"???? Are you joking??? Sure, those are nice in places with more extreme summer environments, but Boston doesn't need a climate controlled environment to play baseball. IIRC, even the Twins built an open air ballpark without a retractable dome.

Hey, I can understand that there may be reasons that are specific to Toronto that may make having a retractable done useful. But they're just not needed everywhere. People need to stop being such pampered softies and suck it up a little, if the weather isn't absolutely perfect for the baseball game. Heaven forbid that you sit out in the sunshine on a breezy 55* day. If you want a perfect 70* environment to watch a game, stay home! :p

Dol-Fan
08-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Don't visit the Jays forum much, but it's nice to see that you guys have a lot more traffic than a lot of other teams. Kudos!

Don't you guys still have a CFL team in Toronto, and doesn't it play at Skydome as well? If true, I'm not sure that real grass is practical. From what I've heard, you can have a great grass surface for most of the season, but when football teams start playing on it, the grass gets torn up something fierce. I think that this might be a secondary reason for teams preferring baseball only parks, so that they can have good, undamaged grass fields all season.

You guys know your climate better than I ever could, but it seems that you're in a bit of a bind, or a few binds. It must be difficult to play outdoor baseball early and late in the season, which would seem to make a purely open air ball park a tough sell. If the Jays don't build the park on their own dime, they're probably stuck with a multi-use park (i.e. baseball, football, concerts, and so on), which a) tends to end up requiring turf rather than grass, and b) also ends up creating a park that's not very well suited for baseball (i.e. less intimate, not very good sight lines, possibly too big a park for baseball, leaving lots of "unsightly" empty seats, and so on).

You're right about the CFL team. Most of us are just venting about not having real grass. We know it's not a possibility right now.

In regards to your last paragraph...look no further than Target Field in Minnesota. The climate is worse and they seem to be making it work. You're right about building their own park. A baseball-only stadium will only happen if Rogers is willing to fork out the cash.

scottythegreat1
08-05-2011, 11:09 AM
As for the roof, what does having a retractable roof have to do with double headers?

One game in the double header is usually a makeup game which was cancelled by rain.

As for your desire for making retractable roofs mandatory, the heck you say. Sure, up in Toronto, it may be a bit chilly, maybe even downright cold in April and September (let alone October), but Retractable roofs are not needed. Oh, sure, it's nice to have them to cover a field to prevent rain outs. But for "climate controlled environments for the fans and players alike"???? Are you joking??? Sure, those are nice in places with more extreme summer environments, but Boston doesn't need a climate controlled environment to play baseball. IIRC, even the Twins built an open air ballpark without a retractable dome.

I never understood why Minnesota made it outdoors. I know how bad the Winters are there and how much SNOW they can get in April. Skydome was built to control those elements. I know Earl Weaver pulled his team (Baltimore)and forfeited a game back in the 1980s because of how bad the conditions on the field were, but they never postponed the game. I remember one year how bad the snow was in Cleveland...the had a homestand right in the middle of a snowstorm, cancelled 6 games, they were making up all these games later on..

Hey, I can understand that there may be reasons that are specific to Toronto that may make having a retractable done useful. But they're just not needed everywhere. People need to stop being such pampered softies and suck it up a little, if the weather isn't absolutely perfect for the baseball game. Heaven forbid that you sit out in the sunshine on a breezy 55* day. If you want a perfect 70* environment to watch a game, stay home! :p

I wouldnt object to seeing the roof opened for more games early on in the season. As far as Im concerned, every game should be outdoors if possible, but the Jays typically keep it closed until mid-May. There are some nice days in April and I get surprised that they keep the roof closed for those games.

I agree, there are SOME places where it isnt as needed as others, such as Atlanta, Washington or Baltimore, BUT there are many places where it is cold in the Winter, or there is typically a lot of rain part of the year, like Seattle and there are other times where a dome is needed to make sure it doesnt get TOO HOT, like the Ballpark in Arlington. Im sure everyone here knows this, but we kept our roof CLOSED a few weeks ago for a game because of how hot it was.

Crucis
08-05-2011, 11:52 AM
One game in the double header is usually a makeup game which was cancelled by rain.

Well, yes, that's the mostd likely cause for double headers. But, Scotty, your post implied that there was some issue with retractable domes that made double headers difficult to play. That's what my question was about.

I never understood why Minnesota made it outdoors. I know how bad the Winters are there and how much SNOW they can get in April. Skydome was built to control those elements. I know Earl Weaver pulled his team (Baltimore)and forfeited a game back in the 1980s because of how bad the conditions on the field were, but they never postponed the game. I remember one year how bad the snow was in Cleveland...the had a homestand right in the middle of a snowstorm, cancelled 6 games, they were making up all these games later on..

I suspect that it was economics. They probably decided that they couldn't afford the extra $100-200M that adding a retractable roof to the park would have required.

I wouldnt object to seeing the roof opened for more games early on in the season. As far as Im concerned, every game should be outdoors if possible, but the Jays typically keep it closed until mid-May. There are some nice days in April and I get surprised that they keep the roof closed for those games.

I was mostly just ragging on you, Scotty. ;)

I agree, there are SOME places where it isnt as needed as others, such as Atlanta, Washington or Baltimore, BUT there are many places where it is cold in the Winter, or there is typically a lot of rain part of the year, like Seattle and there are other times where a dome is needed to make sure it doesnt get TOO HOT, like the Ballpark in Arlington. Im sure everyone here knows this, but we kept our roof CLOSED a few weeks ago for a game because of how hot it was.

I think that retractable roofs would be a nice extra, since they can be used to prevent having to cancel a game due to rain. However, they're also very expensive and add about $100-200M to the cost of a stadium, from what I've heard reported.

And BTW, did you realize that Seattle's retractable roof doesn't seal up the stadium? That is, it covers the seats and the field, but stadium remains open at both ends of the roof. (Think of it like a Quonset hut without the flat ends.)

I think that I heard Nolan Ryan speak about adding a retractable roof to eh Ballpark in Arlington a few months back, just after the sale of the team. He said that, sure, it'd be great to have one to make the park more comfortable in the hot months, but that the cost of adding it was probably too prohibitive.

wagnall
08-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Just got home from Tampa, took in game 2 and 3 with daughter. After watching the games there I will never complain about Rogers again. Who still puts the BP on the field. And I swear I heard echos all over the place. Rogers needs to make the inside a little fancier, more pleasing to the eye for the fans. Tampa had some things that looked good, and I'm sure they could do same at Rogers.

DwayneMVPwade
08-05-2011, 03:14 PM
theres nothing wrong with the Roger's centre

BBadger1989
08-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Since watching this past series how much nicer is Camden yards? Not even comparable Camden is so beautiful

TOsports
08-11-2011, 01:28 AM

i can tell you i like the Skydome a lot more after going to Tropicana field, the Coliseum in Oakland and Petco Park in San Diego this past year...those are all concrete pits that are worse than the dome. i like our "ballpark"

saintnicholas
08-11-2011, 01:32 AM
I love the skydome but a new outdoor park by the lake would look great. The CN tower must be in view though. We wont get this for many years though.

TOsports
08-11-2011, 01:35 AM

Angels stadium is the best park that i've been to...love the atmosphere there! just a beautiful place. there's a terrace where you can sit and eat that's lined with palm trees. i expected a similar experience in SD and was disappointed (read above comment #62)