PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Title Hopes

Il Mago50
08-02-2011, 01:19 PM
With the veteran championship victory of a Mavs team that most thought had no real shot to win it all, this kind of makes me start to think we've all given up on the Spurs too quickly. ESPN just addressed it in this article:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-110802/san-antonio-spurs-offseason-questions

Now I know the NBA is dominated by younger players but experience all the same has shown it's ugly head in the recent past. As long as Duncan, Parker Ginobli and Popovich, in my eyes the best coach our generation has seen (sorry Sloan/Jackson), are around, I don't see why they can't be considered contenders, especially as the article points out, if the season is shortened and Duncan only has to get 40-50 games out of that body.

Based on the talent, history, etc. of the team, explain whether or not you think the Spurs have an actual shot at winning it and if not, what they'd need to add in order to enter the true contender conversation.

GhostfaceDrilla
08-02-2011, 01:49 PM
I'll say contenders for a decent playoff run. Duncan and Ginobili are heavily declining, they have no low post presence outside of Duncan, Jefferson sucks, young players like Leonard and Neal will be playing alot, and with Dallas, OKC, LA and upcoming teams like Memphis, they will have a lot of trouble. Tony Parker is playing very well however but that is not enough. I'll say they get 4th or 5th in the West.

THE GIPPER
08-02-2011, 02:08 PM
the spurs dont have anyone who is currently on the same level as dirk so they arent really comparable at all.

smith&wesson
08-02-2011, 03:11 PM
the best player on those championship spur teams was def tim duncan. he is not what he used to be so theyre chances are slim to none at this point.

Bruno
08-02-2011, 03:14 PM
The Spurs have always gone as far as Duncan could take them. He's 35 years old, and has had an amazing run. IMO since the 2008 consolidation of talent, they've been fighting an uphill battle, great regular season records or not.

2007 was the last year they were the best team, and they got the job done. I don't think they stand a chance at the title in 2012.

RevisIsland
08-02-2011, 03:21 PM
I just don't see it, I don't think they can beat LA, OKC or the Mavs.

Joshtd1
08-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I hate playing this game, but I really think if we didn't run into Memphis in that first round we could have had a much better shot. They were the absolute worst matchup for us because of their size and had two guys that could score in the paint like that. That and outside of Duncan we had Bonner/Dice/Blair as our bigs.

If we could have had a guy like Ibaka or Chandler or someone big and can protect the paint next to Duncan to take the load off of him defensively it would have helped a lot.

This year I pray to god Pop plays Splitter because he is a damn good defender and taller then 6'9. Even try and get something in free agency to help us.

Our back court is set. Parker/Neal/Manu/Anderson is more then enough. Our front court just needs to be worked a little bit and I think we have a decent chance. Specially if the lockout happens and there aren't as many games, keeps TD and Manu fresher.

smith&wesson
08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I hate playing this game, but I really think if we didn't run into Memphis in that first round we could have had a much better shot. They were the absolute worst matchup for us because of their size and had two guys that could score in the paint like that. That and outside of Duncan we had Bonner/Dice/Blair as our bigs.

becoming a champion means beating every one they put in front of you. not dodging teams and looking for favourable match ups.

RLundi
08-02-2011, 03:55 PM
I would say they're done.

Then again, I said that before last year and they won 60 games. But I just don't see them having the ability to beat the Mavs, Thunder, Lakers or even the young Nuggets and Blazers.

Drewlius
08-02-2011, 08:52 PM

+10000. San Antonio's absolute worst scenario possible was playing Memphis.

Joshtd1
08-03-2011, 12:10 AM
becoming a champion means beating every one they put in front of you. not dodging teams and looking for favourable match ups.

Spurs werent dodging anyone. Memphis was the one that started tanking so they could play us because they knew they wanted to play us. Im just saying it's hard to beat teams when they have really good big guys with size, when we have guys that are like 6'9 and under playing next to Duncan.

I really honestly think if we would have played a team like the Hornets in the first round where they don't really have any inside scoring threats like Grizz do, it could have been a lot different.

beasted86
08-03-2011, 01:00 AM
I wouldn't say nobody thought the Mavs had a legit chance at the championship... but basically nobody thought they could get past the Lakers. At the all-star break if you asked most people they though the WCF would be Lakers vs. Spurs/Mavs, so people did think they were a good team. But nobody thought any team in the West could get past the Lakers, not even the Spurs who started the season on a tear.... afterall the Lakers were back to back champions, who added some solid reserves.

But back on topic, the Spurs always have a chance... health is their biggest concern. I also hope they get a good return on their investment trading away George Hill. I've always thought he was underrated, and he always steps up when Parker gets one of his ankle injuries.

Hellcrooner
08-03-2011, 01:05 AM
deppends on splitters development

iggypop123
08-03-2011, 02:03 AM
duncan is putting up khris humphries numbers. the man aint a legend anymore. plus they have scrubs as his front court mates.

Evolution23
08-03-2011, 02:11 AM
window was closing this past year and now the window is now closed. Time to rebuild around Ginobili and Blair.

Joshtd1
08-03-2011, 02:15 AM
window was closing this past year and now the window is now closed. Time to rebuild around Ginobili and Blair.

:confused: Rebuild around a 33 year old player who is going to retire in 2 years and a 6'6 center who for the most part is just a rebounder?

If the Mavs won a championship this year with their roster being older then ours, then our window isn't closed yet.

GhostfaceDrilla
08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
:confused: Rebuild around a 33 year old player who is going to retire in 2 years and a 6'6 center who for the most part is just a rebounder?

If the Mavs won a championship this year with their roster being older then ours, then our window isn't closed yet.

Your best player, Tim Duncan averaged 13 and 9 last year. Ginobili is 33 and is your second best player. Tony Parker is good but even he is around 30. You have no inside presence outside of Duncan.

Our best player, Dirk, is 33 and is still a top 5 player in the game; still a superstar and will be for 3 or 4 more years. Caron Butler is still 30 and is a good starter who can be a really good player for 3 more years. Terry can still score 15 a game, Marion is a great role player, Chandler is 29 and is a top 3 defensive big in the NBA who still basically averages a double double. JJ Barea is starting to develop nicely. Roddy Beaubois' potential is still through the roof. Rudy Fernandez is a solid starter. Jason Kidd, who relies on passing and 3's, is still a very good player.

Dallas is by far in better shape than SA. SA's time is over. Great run, 4 championships, one of the greatest franchises ever. It's our time now.

jezzyman05
08-03-2011, 11:43 AM

If we could have had a guy like Ibaka or Chandler or someone big and can protect the paint next to Duncan to take the load off of him defensively it would have helped a lot.

This year I pray to god Pop plays Splitter because he is a damn good defender and taller then 6'9. Even try and get something in free agency to help us.

Our back court is set. Parker/Neal/Manu/Anderson is more then enough. Our front court just needs to be worked a little bit and I think we have a decent chance. Specially if the lockout happens and there aren't as many games, keeps TD and Manu fresher.

Amen brotha