Former #5 overall pick in the 2006 draft

8-5
4.58 ERA
1.31 Whip
133 K's
43 walks

Last season he was junk on the road and awesome at home
This season he is awesome on the road and pretty bad at home

He has prolly some of the best stuff in the majors and its really only his second full season of starting. Consitancy is really the only thing holding him back at this point.

What does everyone think his ceiling is?

Mitchell133
07-31-2011, 08:49 PM
The problem with Morrow is how he continues to start the season. He's been a sub 3 ERA pitcher for the past month or two it seems. We all know how he finished last season.... I see the potential, but his composure is just terrible.

Bryrob58
07-31-2011, 08:50 PM
I really want to hear Jeffy's opinion on Morrow.

I think he can be a low 3 ERA guy, but he's running out of time to put it all together. FIP and xFIP suggest he has and it's just a matter of time before he turns into a front line guy.

Mitchell133
07-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Morrow gets worse and worse as the pressure grows. With 2 outs bases loaded, Morrow is almost 99% likely to allow at least one run.

TO Rapz
07-31-2011, 09:11 PM
He's so sick. Imo if he puts it all together and reaches his ptl, he's an ace and a great one at that.

BlueJayFanDan
07-31-2011, 09:14 PM
If he had the control of someone like Roy Halladay, he would likely be a top 3 pitcher in all of baseball. He has the skills but his control is awful.

Bombtista
07-31-2011, 09:15 PM
If he had the control of someone like Roy Halladay, he would likely be a top 3 pitcher in all of baseball. He has the skills but his control is awful.

Who wouldnt be a top three pitcher if they had the control that Halladay does

BlueJayFanDan
07-31-2011, 09:17 PM

True, but my point was his ability is far and beyond the mass majority of pitchers. With his skill set, he should be a lot better.

Jeffy25
07-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Morrow has higher potential than whoever in here thinks his potential is.

He really should have a nice career, I think he is going to be a top 30 pitcher before the end of next season and is massively under rated.

His strike outs are Lincecum range, and his walks are getting better. I'll bet anyone anything that he has an ERA south of 3.50 over the next 18 months. He would be a good pick-up fantasy wise.

Imagine what his ERA would look like if he could simply strand some runners on base?

For those saying he has no control, his walk percentage isn't any worse than Lincecum's or Lester's.

Joemoes
07-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Reminds me of Edwin Jackson and bedard. But he's young and has time to improve. But he's one of those 5inning 6inning guys 7-9ks.

PabloEscobar
07-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Haha why would this thread be moved to the Jays board?

The purpose was to get fans of other teams opinions.

broncosfan_101
07-31-2011, 09:51 PM

If he's talking top 3 pitcher in baseball history, I'd agree with that. Not many have ever struck out 10.5 per 9 while walking just one. Obviously that'll never happen though.

To be an ace in Toronto, he'll need to get his GB% back in the 40's. He's got the K/BB to be a top 20 pitcher in baseball, but too many flyballs at this point.

DeRozan10
08-01-2011, 01:58 AM
The guy just turned 27 a few days ago, and this is only his second full season as a starter. I think the sky is the limit for him the next 3-5 years after this one and I believe he has the potential to be a #1 or #2 guy.

McJoe
08-01-2011, 08:50 AM
I actually kind of think we are seeing his ceiling. I hate to be so pessimistic about Morrow after being so positive about Cecil and Drabek in another thread but Morrow is a streaky pitcher because his command is sub-par and inconsistent. He has similar stuff to Burnett so you know he has great stuff but he lacks some composure, especially when runners are on base. I just think he's gonna be a streaky pitcher who ends up hanging with an ERA around 4 with it being mid-high 2s for half the starts and high 4s to low 5s in the other half.

His walks are down and his home runs are down even more than last year and his opponent batting average is down as well. His FIP is way better than it was last season which is another good thing. I just kind of think he's gonna be streaky. I think you are seeing his potential. He's already 27 and even though he's only been a full time starter for 2 seasons, this is his 5th season in the bigs.

ILDD
08-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Morrow gets worse and worse as the pressure grows. With 2 outs bases loaded, Morrow is almost 99% likely to allow at least one run.

OK, I'll be the one to call you on it.

In 2011 he's faced this position (bases loaded, 2 outs) three times so far. Results were strike out (May 15 vs. Butera), ground out (May 26 vs. Quentin) and line out (July 20 vs. Carp).

In 2010 he faced it 6 times. 2 walks, 3 strike outs and a ground out. The 2 walks resulted in 1 run each.

In 2009 it was 6 times, walk, wild pitch, strike out and 3 ground outs

So in total for the last 3 years he's allowed at lest one run 27% of the time. Not almost 99%.

DwayneMVPwade
08-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Has potential to be better than Romero. Improving his command will definitely help him. At his best he can be a like a Verlander.

town123
08-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Poll the other teams fans and I'm betting a huge % would prefer to have Morrow instead of Romero on their team. (assuming they could only pick one)

13Lawrie13
08-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Poll the other teams fans and I'm betting a huge % would prefer to have Morrow instead of Romero on their team. (assuming they could only pick one)

Romero is younger, has really good stuff (although admittedly not as good as Morrow's) and is extremely controllable. Not to mention Romero's results far exceed Morrow's at the time being.

I can understand believing that Morrow has more potential and believing that, eventually, he will be the better player, but to pick him over Romero at this point would be foolish in my opinion.

3mikee_
08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Romero has a worse record than Morrow right now, but then again Romero has essentially zero run support when he pitches...

Really like Morrow's stuff, feel like eventually he'll be the better pitcher. Romero is really just an above average guy imo, I don't know if his stuff or control is good enough for him to become one of the best. Morrow however, has a much higher ceiling.

Probably take Romero right now, but Morrow long term would be my choice...not to mention I don't know if it's just me but Morrow throws like Halladay (form).

wamco
08-01-2011, 03:30 PM
The guy just turned 27 a few days ago, and this is only his second full season as a starter. I think the sky is the limit for him the next 3-5 years after this one and I believe he has the potential to be a #1 or #2 guy.

but marcum was old at 29 remember. Brandon Morrow is.... AJ Burnett. His whip and bb rate encourages me this year.

wamco
08-01-2011, 03:32 PM

makes sense since fans vote for the all star game as well

wamco
08-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Romero has a worse record than Morrow right now, but then again Romero has essentially zero run support when he pitches...

Really like Morrow's stuff, feel like eventually he'll be the better pitcher. Romero is really just an above average guy imo, I don't know if his stuff or control is good enough for him to become one of the best. Morrow however, has a much higher ceiling.

Probably take Romero right now, but Morrow long term would be my choice...not to mention I don't know if it's just me but Morrow throws like Halladay (form).

- being consistently good is the most underrated quality in baseball.

bomber0104
08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah the command is a problem but i think another huge issue that people are ignoring is that he is only throwing 2 pitches this year. Yeah he will have the big strikeout games but hitters still hit a bunch of balls hard because he doesn't mess up their timing

He really needs to go back to using his changeup like he did at the end of last year when he was lights out