PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck with Colby Rasmus Jays Fans

GI JOE
07-31-2011, 12:12 AM
Now that Colby has started his Blue Jay career off with a bang - 0 for 12 with 5Ks.... I'll share what some of us in St Louis knew about him .... I'll keep this focused on his play as a baseball player and leave out his narcissistic Dad.... well, maybe :)

As a hitter, Rasmus has a quick bat -- there is no doubt about that .... but he has multiple holes in his swing .... In another thread, someone described his swing as "sweet" or beautiful -- ok, whatever .....He is a DEAD PULL HITTER -- PERIOD DOT..... God knows LaRussa and the Cards coaches tried to get Bumpkin to hit the ball the other way but he either can't make the adjustment, or he just blew them off ...... It was incredibly frustrating ....

Fastballs down and in, he will murder (like alot of LH hitters).... anything from above the knees to the belt middle in, look out.... But these type of pitches at the Major League level are pitcher mistakes... and when a pitcher makes a mistake, he'll put a hurt on the ball...He is a basically a mistake hitter, pure and simple who will hit a ton for two weeks and then disappear for 5 weeks ...

And he has several HUGE HOLEs in his swing -- outside corner, up and away, and up in the zone.... Because he is incapable of hitting the ball the other way, he is imminently pitchable ..... The better pitchers in the NL figured him out fairly quickly and he hasn't been able to adjust, or refuses to do so ....

His batting eye and selectivity improved this year, but he'll drive you 'effing nuts because he'll swing at the first pitch and pop it up after the opposing pitcher has just thrown 8 straight balls and walked two hitters in a row...

His baseball IQ is room temperature at best ..... and his fundamentals are utterly horrendous ..... I blame this not only on Rasmus (Van Slyke's son played with him in the minors and Andy passed on to Cards fans that his son never saw Rasmus take fungoes/OF practice unlike the other Cards minor league OFers) but also on the Cardinals for not holding him accountable from the very beginning of his minor league stint..... His Dad sure as hell didn't teach him much about fundamentals either if on-field performance is any indicator...

His "playable" arm is a joke.... not his arm strength, but the arm you'll see when he (and your team) need to make a throw IN THE GAME with something on the line .... He can't throw worth a tinker's dam.... You'll see what all of us saw, the Kid's throwing mechanics are about non-existent ....Maybe the Jays will have more luck getting Rasmus to get some forward momentum into his throws -- like on a sacrifice fly wth the runner tagging up from third -- but alot of us in St Louis would urge you not to hold your breath..... And oh yeah, it's 50/50 if Bonehead will throw the ball to the right base or hit the cut-off man ..... I will say one thing though, at least he didn't dribble the ball into the cut-off man or kill worms as much this year as he did in 2009 ...

As a defensive CFer, his jumps are mostly ok -- WHEN HE HAS HIS HEAD IN THE GAME, there were repeated lapses in this area in StL and neither LaRussa nor the fanbase is very tolerant of this ......You'll see him take some weird routes to the ball and he had about 4 ground balls go right through him and onto the wall this year because he won't put his body in front of the ball ..... He is allergic to the wall, so don't expect any Edmonds like plays from him (which admittedly is a high standard)....

The one thing Rasmus does do well is run the bases -- some in StL will tell you of his two or three blunders on the bases, but the truth of the matter is that Pujols (aka RUNNING MAN) will make at least twice the number of base running mistakes by regarding our 3B coach Jose Oquendo as a traffic cone ........ He has the pure speed and quickness to steal 30 bases but it is unknown if he has or will develop base stealing instincts because the Cards don't steal under LaRussa....

It isn't Rasmus's fault that an overeager front office billed him as a 5 tool player ..... He isn't ..... and alot of the angst and impatience with Rasmus was that he made the same mistakes over and OVER again -- he doesn't seem to learn very fast or well .....

Until he changes his swing and closes the holes in it and begins to demonstrate that he will take the outside pitch the other way (which will likely mean he starts listening to Professional MLB coaches and not just his Dad), I see him as a guy who will never hit higher than .275 IN A GOOD YEAR, though he will have a decent OBP .... and he'll hit 25 HRs because he'll swing for the fences and will run into enough mistakes .......

Bottom line is that Rasmus has a WORLD of talent, but many of us in St Louis had a hard time seeing him as anything but a complementary ball player vice a core player .....Quite frankly, he needed another year in the minor leagues but he pouted all through 2008 at Triple A because he thought he should have made the team in ST ..... LaRussa doesn't hate young ball players, but he does believe they should learn the game in the Minor Leagues and not at the Major League-level; LaRussa is all about winning, which is how it should be ......Rasmus just had too much baggage to such an extent that he was never going to put it together in a high pressure baseball environment like St Louis, where the fanbase knows the game well and expect the Cardinals -- the NL's premier franchise -- to contend every year .....

And let's get one thing clear, Tony LaRussa didn't run Rasmus out of town .... we have a helluva a BALL PLAYER in Jon Jay who took the job away from Rasmus .... When it came time to compete for the CF job, vice being ENTITLED to it, Rasmus folded like a cheap lawn chair while Jon Jay plays heads up baseball, with a purpose and a passion.....

Going to Toronto may be the best thing to ever happen to Colby, but instead of hanging out the welcome sign for his old man, the Jays should have had the Canadian Government declare Tony Rasmus personna non grata ....

You didn't give up much to get Rasmus, but if Edwin Jackson listens to Dave Duncan, we may have the next Dave Stewart -- the guy has just electric stuff and is only 27 years old .... So, sign me as one who won't miss Colby, particularly if Carp and his $15M option walk this winter and we re-sign Jackson to a three year contract...

GI JOE

Bombtista
07-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Well that's certainly a lot of information :clap:

Sounds like Rasmus had quite a few problems in St. Louis whether it was not liking LaRussa's management or having to compete for a job every day with Jon Jay but from everything ive heard it sounds like a change of scenery is exactly what he needs.

The Jays recently traded for Yunel Escobar and he was said to have a lot of the same problems Rasmus is said to have and Yunel is now a top 3 player on the Jays. Correct me if im wrong but Pujol's has said Rasmus will be a great player and thrive with a new organization. Chipper Jones said the same thing about Escobar. Not that this kind of statement means all that much but its obvious the Jays are picking up the most talented of players that just are not meshing with their current club.

Its hard for to me to comment on Rasmus swing all that much at this point as its only been 3 games and unfortunately he has not hit anything yet! I do think this was a big win for the Jays getting a young talented Of with obvious pop in his bat and giving up a few relievers to try to revitalize a player who can easily hit 25-30 home runs with 80+ RBI's for us is a deal i would do any day

jaysnraptors44
07-31-2011, 12:45 AM
I wasn't to happy for this trade but for what we got him for its a trade i'll do anyday also .... and ya like many will say escobar had problems with management in atlanta too and now hes hitting 300 for us and has been good on defense ... sometimes a change of scenario is all a player needs, and as for rasmus horrible start... im not too worried about that just give him a couple of more weeks to get to know his new teammates and this new league .... let him be on the road for a bit to know his teammates and be more relaxed and comfortable ..

ghost dog
07-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Whatever he did in St Louis is now the past. I know nothing about how they coach their players, But I believe that the Jays as an organization can get the most out of his talents much like Escobar.

nstojic
07-31-2011, 12:56 AM
Mr. LaRussa, welcome to PSD, glad to have you aboard... that said, please try and refrain from posting outside the Cards forum. thank you.

2009mvp
07-31-2011, 01:12 AM
:yawn: Love the amateur scouts breaking down the kid as if he isn't coming off a .276/.361/.498, four and a half win season. That, like, happened already.

King Rick
07-31-2011, 01:27 AM
Gotta love the Rasmus hate. If I played in a city where I put up good numbers as a 23 year old and that still wasn't enough... I'd be begging to be put on a plane elsewhere. I guarantee you that when he becomes the player most believe he will become (including your beloved King Albert) you'll be talking about how you knew he was great blah blah blah. Like the poster a few above me... Stick to the Cards forum. We'll decide over the next year or 2 whether it was worth it or not

JaysFan87
07-31-2011, 02:26 AM
The way I look at it. If he works out he becomes a perennial All-star and like you said he definitely has the talent. Worst case- he is what he is right now and that is a .750 OPS hitter playing CF that cost 1M~ to find out and a bunch of replaceable parts. Again I dont know how the jays lose in this trade.

Jay
07-31-2011, 02:31 AM
He's the Jays version of Phil Kessel. You're gonna love and hate him at the same time.

You still want him on your team at the end of the day.

GNick
07-31-2011, 04:51 AM
Now that Colby has started his Blue Jay career off with a bang - 0 for 12 with 5Ks.... I'll share what some of us in St Louis knew about him .... I'll keep this focused on his play as a baseball player and leave out his narcissistic Dad.... well, maybe :)

As a hitter, Rasmus has a quick bat -- there is no doubt about that .... but he has multiple holes in his swing .... In another thread, someone described his swing as "sweet" or beautiful -- ok, whatever .....He is a DEAD PULL HITTER -- PERIOD DOT..... God knows LaRussa and the Cards coaches tried to get Bumpkin to hit the ball the other way but he either can't make the adjustment, or he just blew them off ...... It was incredibly frustrating ....

Fastballs down and in, he will murder (like alot of LH hitters).... anything from above the knees to the belt middle in, look out.... But these type of pitches at the Major League level are pitcher mistakes... and when a pitcher makes a mistake, he'll put a hurt on the ball...He is a basically a mistake hitter, pure and simple who will hit a ton for two weeks and then disappear for 5 weeks ...

And he has several HUGE HOLEs in his swing -- outside corner, up and away, and up in the zone.... Because he is incapable of hitting the ball the other way, he is imminently pitchable ..... The better pitchers in the NL figured him out fairly quickly and he hasn't been able to adjust, or refuses to do so ....

His batting eye and selectivity improved this year, but he'll drive you 'effing nuts because he'll swing at the first pitch and pop it up after the opposing pitcher has just thrown 8 straight balls and walked two hitters in a row...

His baseball IQ is room temperature at best ..... and his fundamentals are utterly horrendous ..... I blame this not only on Rasmus (Van Slyke's son played with him in the minors and Andy passed on to Cards fans that his son never saw Rasmus take fungoes/OF practice unlike the other Cards minor league OFers) but also on the Cardinals for not holding him accountable from the very beginning of his minor league stint..... His Dad sure as hell didn't teach him much about fundamentals either if on-field performance is any indicator...

His "playable" arm is a joke.... not his arm strength, but the arm you'll see when he (and your team) need to make a throw IN THE GAME with something on the line .... He can't throw worth a tinker's dam.... You'll see what all of us saw, the Kid's throwing mechanics are about non-existent ....Maybe the Jays will have more luck getting Rasmus to get some forward momentum into his throws -- like on a sacrifice fly wth the runner tagging up from third -- but alot of us in St Louis would urge you not to hold your breath..... And oh yeah, it's 50/50 if Bonehead will throw the ball to the right base or hit the cut-off man ..... I will say one thing though, at least he didn't dribble the ball into the cut-off man or kill worms as much this year as he did in 2009 ...

As a defensive CFer, his jumps are mostly ok -- WHEN HE HAS HIS HEAD IN THE GAME, there were repeated lapses in this area in StL and neither LaRussa nor the fanbase is very tolerant of this ......You'll see him take some weird routes to the ball and he had about 4 ground balls go right through him and onto the wall this year because he won't put his body in front of the ball ..... He is allergic to the wall, so don't expect any Edmonds like plays from him (which admittedly is a high standard)....

The one thing Rasmus does do well is run the bases -- some in StL will tell you of his two or three blunders on the bases, but the truth of the matter is that Pujols (aka RUNNING MAN) will make at least twice the number of base running mistakes by regarding our 3B coach Jose Oquendo as a traffic cone ........ He has the pure speed and quickness to steal 30 bases but it is unknown if he has or will develop base stealing instincts because the Cards don't steal under LaRussa....

It isn't Rasmus's fault that an overeager front office billed him as a 5 tool player ..... He isn't ..... and alot of the angst and impatience with Rasmus was that he made the same mistakes over and OVER again -- he doesn't seem to learn very fast or well .....

Until he changes his swing and closes the holes in it and begins to demonstrate that he will take the outside pitch the other way (which will likely mean he starts listening to Professional MLB coaches and not just his Dad), I see him as a guy who will never hit higher than .275 IN A GOOD YEAR, though he will have a decent OBP .... and he'll hit 25 HRs because he'll swing for the fences and will run into enough mistakes .......

Bottom line is that Rasmus has a WORLD of talent, but many of us in St Louis had a hard time seeing him as anything but a complementary ball player vice a core player .....Quite frankly, he needed another year in the minor leagues but he pouted all through 2008 at Triple A because he thought he should have made the team in ST ..... LaRussa doesn't hate young ball players, but he does believe they should learn the game in the Minor Leagues and not at the Major League-level; LaRussa is all about winning, which is how it should be ......Rasmus just had too much baggage to such an extent that he was never going to put it together in a high pressure baseball environment like St Louis, where the fanbase knows the game well and expect the Cardinals -- the NL's premier franchise -- to contend every year .....

And let's get one thing clear, Tony LaRussa didn't run Rasmus out of town .... we have a helluva a BALL PLAYER in Jon Jay who took the job away from Rasmus .... When it came time to compete for the CF job, vice being ENTITLED to it, Rasmus folded like a cheap lawn chair while Jon Jay plays heads up baseball, with a purpose and a passion.....

Going to Toronto may be the best thing to ever happen to Colby, but instead of hanging out the welcome sign for his old man, the Jays should have had the Canadian Government declare Tony Rasmus personna non grata ....

You didn't give up much to get Rasmus, but if Edwin Jackson listens to Dave Duncan, we may have the next Dave Stewart -- the guy has just electric stuff and is only 27 years old .... So, sign me as one who won't miss Colby, particularly if Carp and his $15M option walk this winter and we re-sign Jackson to a three year contract...

GI JOE

Hey, great post, always good to hear from vet Cards fan who knows Rasmus. Jays see the raw talent and be working over next year to develop Rasmus into a star. Look what they did with Bautista or Escobar when they seen the raw talent in them? However, it takes time and trying to fix young players don't always work out ie. Jo-Jo Reyes. Jays do have this season to play with on Rasmus. I am not expecting changes out of Rasmus until spring training 2012.

Personally, I wouldn't have made the trade, but it is close so I can go with it. I just see the mental disorder in Rasmus and with these things you never know. He kind of reminded me of Jim Eisenreich they way he twitches when questioned in his press conference. But Eisenreich when on to play a good career with mental illness albeit with some issues at times. It is a Jays gamble for sure.

Overall, I see Rasmus as a decent cf to above average and being traded again in a couple of years when Gose or Marisinick is ready.

StayOnBoard
07-31-2011, 05:52 AM
Dear Mr. American Hero,

Thank you for your post. Please enjoy your bullpen blowing up with your new additions of Dotel and Marc Rzepczynski. I also hope the draft pick you receive for Edwin Jackson works out in your favor.

We'll take our chances on this end

craigerlee
07-31-2011, 06:04 AM

GI JOE

You may have the next Dave Stewart for all of 2 months. Congrats. Good thing you traded away one of your best trade chips for Rzepchynski and 2 months of Jackson, Patterson and Dotel. Have fun next year when you realize that Jon Jay isn't that good and Rzepchynski is a middle reliever.

Twitchy
07-31-2011, 07:23 AM
It's almost like there was already a Colby Rasmus thread here. If you guys want to talk about Colby, talk there.