PDA

View Full Version : why not go for Hunter Pence?

sheps88
07-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Offer up Travis Snider and a prospect SP Chad Jenkins maybe?

One can sit and wait for Snider but Pence is pretty darn good and especially if salary with the Jays isn't an issue.

Dol-Fan
07-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Why not post in trade ideas thread?

KaiserSose
07-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Offer up Travis Snider and a prospect SP Chad Jenkins maybe?

One can sit and wait for Snider but Pence is pretty darn good and especially if salary with the Jays isn't an issue.

Probably because Houston is asking for 10x what he is worth.

Jay
07-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Let's just start trading away the entire depth of our farm system all of a sudden...

2009mvp
07-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Probably because Houston is asking for 10x what he is worth.

Pretty much. If you're gonna drain the farm you damn sure don't do it for a decent but unspectacular corner OF'er.

sheps88
07-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Really 1 prospect gonna make or break or the farm system?

Snider is young but he could easily be replaced by Pence.

It was just a suggestion.

Bombtista
07-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Our Offence/Defence is ready to go. Maybe sign Fielder if at all possible. The rest of our effort needs to be on pitching this season

KaiserSose
07-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Really 1 prospect gonna make or break or the farm system?

Snider is young but he could easily be replaced by Pence.

It was just a suggestion.

Did you see the supposed offer that they rejected from the Phillies? Like 3 top 100 specs and maybe more. 1 spec isn't getting it done. Anyways, it is generally bad practice to trade for a player at the deadline because you are going to pay a premium. If you want the Jays to get Pence (or some other player) then it makes more sense to trade for them in the off-season.

GrantHustle
07-29-2011, 12:24 PM
If your trading for elite young talent like Flex Hernandez/ Clayton Kershaw or Hanley Ramirez then u can trade 3 top prospects ....but not for Hunter Pence the stuff the Astros are asking for is stupid like KaiserSose said wait for the off-season when the price will go down

StayOnBoard
07-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Did you see the supposed offer that they rejected from the Phillies? Like 3 top 100 specs and maybe more. 1 spec isn't getting it done. Anyways, it is generally bad practice to trade for a player at the deadline because you are going to pay a premium. If you want the Jays to get Pence (or some other player) then it makes more sense to trade for them in the off-season.

Pretty much this...

It would take one of Snider/Drabek plus 2-3 really good prospects.

Pence is severely over rated... he's not worth 3 top 100 prospects.

bomber0104
07-29-2011, 12:32 PM
I cant believe the Phillies are actually thinking about offering that package. Pence is good but he is nothing special..

Jay
07-29-2011, 12:35 PM
I cant believe the Phillies are actually thinking about offering that package. Pence is good but he is nothing special..

Domonic Brown isn't what they thought he was.

Kelly Gruber
07-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Rather stick with what we have in the OF personally. Pence is getting a bit overrated. Good, solid player but not worth the packages going around and doesn't fill a need for us. Unless he can play 2B or start games I don't see why we'd get involved. Let Snider/Thames/Rasmus play.

GrantHustle
07-29-2011, 12:41 PM

ya 240 ab's in the majors shows u what a 23 year old is going to be .... if the Phillies don't like Brown trade him to the Jays then hahaha

FlakeyFool
07-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Let's just start trading away the entire depth of our farm system all of a sudden...

Ya because our system isn't very deep

bomber0104
07-29-2011, 12:46 PM

25/32 BB to K ratio is impressive for a young player.. the rest of the numbers will catchup.. give me him over Snider anyday

The Astros will probably ask for Lawrie, Drabek, and another prospect from us

StayOnBoard
07-29-2011, 12:55 PM
25/32 BB to K ratio is impressive for a young player.. the rest of the numbers will catchup.. give me him over Snider anyday

The Astros will probably ask for Lawrie, Drabek, and another prospect from us

Agreed - which is ridiculous. I wouldn't give Lawrie for anyone right now.... and if we're trading Drabek it better be for someone who isn't a league average OFer.

The Hunter Pence hype makes me laugh... when did the guy turn into a superstar? I must have missed the memo.

Jay
07-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Ya because our system isn't very deep

And yeah ...we should make it mediocre ...just because

bomber0104
07-29-2011, 01:47 PM
apparently the Phillies are trying to redirect Brown to get a pitching prospect to trade to the Astros...

I would do Snider and big pitching prospect for Brown and Singleton

That gives the Phillies the LF they want too in Snider and a RF in Pence

lmallia
07-29-2011, 01:52 PM
apparently the Phillies are trying to redirect Brown to get a pitching prospect to trade to the Astros...

I would do Snider and big pitching prospect for Brown and Singleton

That gives the Phillies the LF they want too in Snider and a RF in Pence

I have a stiffy for Domonic Brown.. Big dude, patient already.. He will be legit.

bartron_44
07-29-2011, 02:03 PM
I wonder if the Phillies would trade Brown this year in order to try and put them over the top for a world series? Something like EE,Davis, Francisco, Sobolewski and Loewen for Brown,Colvin and Biddle?

Ibanez,Brown,Mayberry and Francisco all have an OPS under .780, and Polanco is having a down year and has played since july 4th. Halladay and Oswalt aren't getting any younger.....do you guys think Philly would be interested in something like this that would improve them over the short term?

I know we just pillaged this farm not that long ago, but Biddle and Colvin are no where near the majors, so the only thing the phillies lose in this deal that affects the next few seasons is Brown. We would however add 2 more arms to our already impressive list built over the last 2 drafts and IFA signings, and add another very young and highly rated prospect :)

bomber0104
07-29-2011, 02:05 PM
I wonder if the Phillies would trade Brown this year in order to try and put them over the top for a world series? Something like EE,Davis, Francisco, Sobolewski and Loewen for Brown,Colvin and Biddle?

Ibanez,Brown,Mayberry and Francisco all have an OPS under .780, and Polanco is having a down year and has played since july 4th. Halladay and Oswalt aren't getting any younger.....do you guys think Philly would be interested in something like this that would improve them over the short term?

I know we just pillaged this farm not that long ago, but Biddle and Colvin are no where near the majors, so the only thing the phillies lose in this deal that affects the next few seasons is Brown. We would however add 2 more arms to our already impressive list built over the last 2 drafts and IFA signings, and add another very young and highly rated prospect :)

come on man.. they wont give you a single one of these prospects alone for that whole package

wagnall
07-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Pence doesn't fit our club. Right now we have 3 OF's 24 and under and Baut ready to go back to RF, Colby is our CF, how does Pence knock out Snider or Thames. He's good but not for us and never at that price. And finally we can stop the Bourne talk. We have enough OF's for a while

Jay
07-29-2011, 05:49 PM
No more OFs! Let's build on what we have instead.

Bob_at_york
07-29-2011, 09:41 PM
He got traded to the Phillies.