PDA

View Full Version : Why Didn't More Players Try to Play With Nash During His Prime?

Tony_Starks
07-28-2011, 06:02 PM
For I would say at least a good 5 years and you could've threw a highschool kid in the starting lineup and Nash would've got him 10 points a night. Why didn't any real solid players try to get over there to play with him? If I was a young and upcoming star or even a veteran chasing a ring playing with him would've been a dream. I mean they had one helluva team during their run but when they started breaking it up Nash was still doing his thing. You would think someone would jump on board for at least a year and try it, besides Grant Hill.

Obviously I know their were financial restrictions but Im just talkin say like a Ron Ron with the Lakers type of situation where someone comes strictly for the ring for a reasonable amount....

heyman321
07-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Because Sarver was too cheap to pay anyone.

TrueFan420
07-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Because Sarver was too cheap to pay anyone.

this

23dragonzord
07-28-2011, 06:18 PM
I thought he had Amare, Marion, Joe Johnson, leandro barbosa and shaq!

nygiants242
07-28-2011, 06:19 PM
The FO simply didn't surround him with talented players. Anyone would have wanted to play with Nash.. I mean who wouldn't? The guy would (and still does) set players up like no other.

Hawkeye15
07-28-2011, 06:40 PM
because Sarver is cheap, they traded first round picks away like candy, and had a coach who forgot you needed to play defense.

smith&wesson
07-28-2011, 06:41 PM
He has played with

dirk
amare
marion
joe johnson
barbosa
shaq
hill
diaw
bell
finley

Hawkeye15
07-28-2011, 06:41 PM
honestly if Mike D wasn't their coach, and they would have gotten someone who controlled pace more and defended, they could have easily won a chip with the roster they had.

Joshtd1
07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Yea..he played with Dirk and Finley for a while in Dallas. Had Amare/JJ/Marion too in Phoenix. I dont know if lack of good players is a reason why they won. But yes Sarver is cheap.

JordansBulls
07-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Dude played with prime Dirk and Finley and prime Amare and Marion. Who else did he need to play with?

Geargo Wallace
07-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Sarver.

AsiandudePH
07-28-2011, 06:56 PM
He played with a bunch of good/great/superstar players but sadly he played with them in the wrong time--or at a time where they lack the sense of urgency.

Having a coach whose game plan was to entertain first and win second didn't help. Plus, as stated by many, the owner is cheap as hell and didn't wanna spend money on players.

shep33
07-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Sarver is cheap yes... but Nash played on some absolutely stacked teams. I love Nash, so I don't mean this in any negative way.

People forget the Mavs with Dirk, Finley and a ridiculous supporting cast?

What about the Suns with Stoudemire, a prime Marion, and great bench mob?

Sadly it really wasn't his fault, he played on teams that were just horrible on D, proving that offense alone doesn't win anything.

Bullsfan22
07-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Because he already had Amare. Steve Nash is great at getting his teammates involved but he's ball dominant, so any star wing player that's also ball dominant would clash.

The few dominant centers would have clashed with Amare.

I don't really count Dallas because I believe Nash became a different/better individual player when he got to phoenix. But don't get me wrong I'm sure a lot of players wanted to play with, but like many others said, their owner didn't want to break bread.

PlezPlayDKnicks
07-28-2011, 07:48 PM
honestly if Mike D wasn't their coach, and they would have gotten someone who controlled pace more and defended, they could have easily won a chip with the roster they had.

That's not totally fair.. They were a dirty Robert Horry foul away from playing that awful Cleveland team in the Finals..

Hawkeye15
07-28-2011, 07:56 PM
That's not totally fair.. They were a dirty Robert Horry foul away from playing that awful Cleveland team in the Finals..

it is fair. They had enough talent to easily beat the Spurs, but D's completely ignoring the defensive side of the ball limited what that roster could do.

Tony_Starks
07-29-2011, 02:40 AM
He's had plenty of help, don't get me wrong. I guess I'm just thinking more along the lines of in his prime Phoenix days if you were a good player he wouldve made you look great. I'm just kinda shocked more guys didn't try to get with him and make their job a lot easier. But as you guys said, Sarver was pinching pennies....

iggypop123
07-29-2011, 03:05 AM
it wasnt a lack of help. they had a title stolen from them that year. they would have equally raped lebron's overachieving and very flawed cavs. the biggest thing was sarver was cheap. think about the draft picks they either moved or gave up. had a shot for deng, rondo, rudy fernandez just to name a few.

Bruno
07-29-2011, 03:54 AM
The 2007 was built for the championship. It would have been tough had Nash and Dirk ever landed a dominant SG/SF/C

ragee
07-29-2011, 04:21 AM
Dude played with prime Dirk and Finley and prime Amare and Marion. Who else did he need to play with?

I have to disagree... Dirk and Nash were great together but became so much better when Nash left.... Prime Dirk playing with prime Nash would have been so sick... I wouldn't say a sure shot at the title because that team would obviously have problems on defense but they would have posed a greater threat against other contending teams...

210Don
07-29-2011, 04:27 AM
ehh steve nash is overrated.

dodie53
07-29-2011, 04:41 AM
bacause of the suns FO

Geargo Wallace
07-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Those were some fun teams to watch though, right?

Tony_Starks
07-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Those were some fun teams to watch though, right?

Yes indeed sir! They were killing my '06 '07 Lakers and I still couldn't even be mad. They had that offense to perfection.

Hellcrooner
07-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Players heard to many times " defense win championships"?

lakerboy
07-29-2011, 02:08 PM
BLAME THE SUNS FRONT OFFICE? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

Steve Nash is the only player who doesn’t get criticize for playing with the following, and not winning a ring:

Coach of the year Dantoni
ALLSTAR Amare Stoudamire
ALLSTAR Shawn Marion
ALLSTAR Joe Johnson
6TH MAN OF THE YEAR Leandro Barbosa
MOST IMPROVED PLAYER OF THE YEAR Boris Diaw
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR CANDIDATE – Raja Bell

On top of that, he was NBA MVP.

I didn’t even go through Grant Hill and the rest of the guys. All I am saying is, Steve Nash had it all and still came short in the end.

Steve Nash isn’t a winner, period. NO EXCUSES. In the playoffs, Derrick Rose was more impressive last year that Steve Nash ever was.

You could put Wade, Kobe or even Dwight Howard on that team, and you'd see a championship. They could not get past the Spurs.

thebet
07-29-2011, 02:30 PM
He's white... too much of a gamble.

Sly Guy
07-29-2011, 02:37 PM
He has played with

dirk
amare
marion
joe johnson
barbosa
shaq
hill
diaw
bell
finley

that list looks impressive, but Hill wasn't the Hill before he wrecked his ankles. Shaq was well past his prime, Joe Johnson was there only for a very short time, and a ball dominant 2 is not the guy you wanna put next to Nash.

You could also make the argument that Nash's play made guys like Diaw, Bell, and Marion look more spectacular than they actually were.

and lakerboy, don't put too much faith in the awards....Accolades like 'all star' means nothing when the fans vote. I doubt many here actually believe D'Antoni is coach of the year worthy anymore and that the Suns teams he coached are more a product of Nash's floor generalship than any coaching strategy.

RevisIsland
07-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Because Robert Sarver is a very cheap owner. Read the section on Sarver and the Suns in this column. It's mind boggling to think about. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080310

llemon
07-29-2011, 05:59 PM

Which one of those guys defended the hoop?

Catfish1314
07-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Sarver pretty much gave away a handful of good draft picks. Some of them were before the Nash era though.

As for Artest, there were other reasons to come to Los Angeles for cheaper than he was worth. He was pals with Kobe and LA is a huge market. Phoenix isn't.

More-Than-Most
07-29-2011, 08:41 PM
that list looks impressive, but Hill wasn't the Hill before he wrecked his ankles. Shaq was well past his prime, Joe Johnson was there only for a very short time, and a ball dominant 2 is not the guy you wanna put next to Nash.

You could also make the argument that Nash's play made guys like Diaw, Bell, and Marion look more spectacular than they actually were.

and lakerboy, don't put too much faith in the awards....Accolades like 'all star' means nothing when the fans vote. I doubt many here actually believe D'Antoni is coach of the year worthy anymore and that the Suns teams he coached are more a product of Nash's floor generalship than any coaching strategy.

:clap:

IndyRealist
07-29-2011, 11:38 PM

A bench.

THE MTL
07-29-2011, 11:45 PM
For I would say at least a good 5 years and you could've threw a highschool kid in the starting lineup and Nash would've got him 10 points a night. Why didn't any real solid players try to get over there to play with him? If I was a young and upcoming star or even a veteran chasing a ring playing with him would've been a dream. I mean they had one helluva team during their run but when they started breaking it up Nash was still doing his thing. You would think someone would jump on board for at least a year and try it, besides Grant Hill.

Obviously I know their were financial restrictions but Im just talkin say like a Ron Ron with the Lakers type of situation where someone comes strictly for the ring for a reasonable amount....

Ummm....lets see Amare was a perennial allstar. Shawn Marion was a perennial allstar. Raja Bell was all NBA defense. Shaq hopped on over. And they had Joe Johnson at one point. So they had the help.

But the financial restrictions were just too great.

llemon
07-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Ummm....lets see Amare was a perennial allstar. Shawn Marion was a perennial allstar. Raja Bell was all NBA defense. Shaq hopped on over. And they had Joe Johnson at one point. So they had the help.

But the financial restrictions were just too great.

Joe Johnson wanted out, as he felt he was underappreciated due to Nash.

And Shaq worked against the Nash system.