PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony the next Paul Pierce ?

Slimsim
07-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Just wanted some people thoughts ?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-28-2011, 11:14 AM
As in... career wise? :confused:

Slimsim
07-28-2011, 11:15 AM
As in... career wise? :confused:

Something like that But once Melo pass his prime can he Be a Paul Pierce type player With his offense ability

mavwar53
07-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Um... No
Paul Pierce stayed with same team his whole career end of story.

Corey
07-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Similar, though not identical players.

Pierce is a better shooter, but Melo is a better scorer. Pierce is a better passer and defender, but Melo is better on the boards.

Ebbs
07-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Pierce pre big 3 was closer to Melo now than Pierce post big 3.

rurichie
07-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Melo is no where near what Pierce. Pierce is a captain of his team melo just shoots a lot

Swashcuff
07-28-2011, 11:31 AM
IMO a motivated Carmelo Anthony > a peak Paul Pierce.

However Carmelo remaining motivated (playing D, crashing the boards, taking better shots, etc) is something that doesn't last very long. IF however he is able to stay motivated in NY and play up to his potential (28, 7 and 4 with good efficiency and + D) he'll surely be viewed as a better player than Paul Pierce.

KingPosey
07-28-2011, 11:37 AM
I dont like either player, but Melo is better than PP has been at any point of his career. He was considered nothing but a chucker till the other 2 came.

5ass
07-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Pierce pre big 3 was closer to Melo now than Pierce post big 3.

Exactly

Chronz
07-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Pierce was always a stud defender, one of the biggest mysteries to me was why people automatically assumed it was a result of KG's influence that he became a stopper. Hes been holding it down on that end for years.

Melo, well lets just say offensively its a close call.

DitchDat
07-28-2011, 11:53 AM
I've been saying this! Pierce in his early years = Carmelo. Versatile scorer + rebounder, but not in the most efficient way. Pierce has always been a better defender though. Melo just doesn't care.

coryd238
07-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Melo is no where near what Pierce. Pierce is a captain of his team melo just shoots a lot

lololol

And Melo's a good man defender (especially when it matters), help defense is where he struggles.

Da Knicks
07-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, lets see Pierce has always being an assasin but so has Melo. Melo imo just needs to keep on playing defense the way he played as soon as he was a knick. Many people just repeat what other people say without watching the games. Melo is not a bad defender at all, i would say that Melos post game is by far greater than Pierce or any other player in the league right now. I say Melo has the ability to be in the race for mvp if the knicks get a big that can defend the paint and Melo can play without any fear on d.

JasonJohnHorn
07-28-2011, 12:10 PM
The big difference between the two for me is ball handling. Pierce can bring the ball up and create for others, Melo is the kind of guy you give the ball to to score. He can pass, but he isnt the play maker Pierce is. I'd also take Pierce defensively over Melo, though melo is a better rebounder. As for scoring, though Melo scores more, I'd say they are about equal, the difference in being that when Pierce gets the ball it is either to score or make a play, and when Melo gets it it is to score. He shoots more so he scores more.

Both great players though, but I'd take prime Pierce over prime Melo any day of the week.

BklynKnicks3
07-28-2011, 12:13 PM
How can u be the next someone that you are better then. Melo vs peirce is not a matchup it a execution. No1 doubles peirce he hits more open shots then anystar in the nba because he has 3 all stars on his team.

THE GIPPER
07-28-2011, 12:20 PM
However Carmelo remaining motivated (playing D, crashing the boards, taking better shots, etc) is something that doesn't last very long. IF however he is able to stay motivated in NY and play up to his potential (28, 7 and 4 with good efficiency and + D) he'll surely be viewed as a better player than Paul Pierce.

This exactly. some people forget how dominant he can be if he wants too.

Swashcuff
07-28-2011, 12:24 PM
How can u be the next someone that you are better then. Melo vs peirce is not a matchup it a execution. No1 doubles peirce he hits more open shots then anystar in the nba because he has 3 all stars on his team.

You do realize this isn't a comparison of what they are now but rather a comparison of how their respective careers may or may not mirror each others.

Rafer17
07-28-2011, 12:28 PM
No..

smith&wesson
07-28-2011, 12:36 PM
pierce deserves his respect he has been playing ball for a long while and is still playing at a high level. lets see if melo can play at a high level after his prime.

pierce is the better defender .. melo is the better scorer.

i think psd under rates melo.

Tony_Starks
07-28-2011, 01:47 PM
No. Not on any level. Melo is a great scorer. Pierce can score, knows how and when to mix it up between jumpers and getting to the cup, knows how to create contact and get to the line in crunchtime, takes good three's (open in rhythm as opposeed to just jacking it up) for the most part, and is a very underrated defender and rebounder. AND he's willing to make the pass, even in the clutch.

His only weakness is he's flabby as hell and a Celtic.......

BklynKnicks3
07-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Pierce defense might be the most overrated thing in basketball. No1 even said anything about his defense in his prime now that he has kg playin help d on every star he gets all the credit lol. People have alot to learn. Melo is better then peirce ever was and i think Melo will still improve.

Swashcuff
07-28-2011, 02:07 PM
No. Not on any level. Melo is a great scorer. Pierce can score, knows how and when to mix it up between jumpers and getting to the cup, knows how to create contact and get to the line in crunchtime, takes good three's (open in rhythm as opposeed to just jacking it up) for the most part, and is a very underrated defender and rebounder. AND he's willing to make the pass, even in the clutch.

His only weakness is he's flabby as hell and a Celtic.......

Correct me if I am wrong but at the age of 27 all those things were NOT said of Paul Pierce. Especially his shot selection. He can afford himself the luxury of playing such a game and passing the ball and getting such good shots and even getting to the line at a high rate because he has one of the best facilitators in the game as his PG and the best shooter in the game as his wing mate.

Give Carmelo what Paul Pierce has on offense and watch his game improve leaps and bounds and in a system such as Boston's you'd see the motivated Melo on D.

Tony_Starks
07-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but at the age of 27 all those things were NOT said of Paul Pierce. Especially his shot selection. He can afford himself the luxury of playing such a game and passing the ball and getting such good shots and even getting to the line at a high rate because he has one of the best facilitators in the game as his PG and the best shooter in the game as his wing mate.

Give Carmelo what Paul Pierce has on offense and watch his game improve leaps and bounds and in a system such as Boston's you'd see the motivated Melo on D.

Melo also had Chauncey who is not too shabby a facilitator in his own right and basically turned Rip into an allstar. Look at Rips production since he left. I also think AI had a career high in assist when he played with him and that George Karl is a very good coach who preaches ball movement. Melo has had his chances.

And people where giving Pierce his props waaaay before Doc and Rondo came along. As a matter of fact thats how he got his nickname, he torched the Lakers in the old Forum and Shaq said "Paul Pierce is the mf'n truth!"

Joshtd1
07-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I think in terms of scoring and skill set they are pretty similar. I think Pierce is better play maker though, something Melo could definitely improve on IMO. If the Knicks ran P&R with Melo and Amare instead of Chauncey/Amare that could be devastating.

Swashcuff
07-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Melo also had Chauncey who is not too shabby a facilitator in his own right and basically turned Rip into an allstar. Look at Rips production since he left. I also think AI had a career high in assist when he played with him and that George Karl is a very good coach who preaches ball movement. Melo has had his chances.

And people where giving Pierce his props waaaay before Doc and Rondo came along. As a matter of fact thats how he got his nickname, he torched the Lakers in the old Forum and Shaq said "Paul Pierce is the mf'n truth!"

Chauncey turned Rip into an All Star? Rip was a quality player long before Chauncey groomed into the player he was, you say look at Rip after why not also look at Rip before? In terms of being a facilitator A.I. and Chauncey are not in Rondo's league. Also Chauncey in Detroit and Chauncey in Denver had two different roles on offense. PS A.I. did not set a career high in assists as a Nugget.

Tell me something, when Paul Pierce played alongside Antoine Walker how often would he defer his late game shot attempts to him? Also tell me why Paul just came off his two most efficient offensive seasons.

Matter of a fact ever since KG and Allen arrived and Rondo developed his game he has had the 4 most efficient seasons of his NBA career. Well that's the effect good teammates have on your offensive efficiency.

Paul Pierce has benefited greatly from those around him on both ends of the floor. I am not saying he was never good defensively but both him and Ray have benefited from having KG and Perk in an effective defensive system behind them.

claffyT
07-28-2011, 03:44 PM
career= Pierce (though Carmelo will pass him in a few yrs)
prime= Carmelo
right now= Carmelo

Tony_Starks
07-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Chauncey turned Rip into an All Star? Rip was a quality player long before Chauncey groomed into the player he was, you say look at Rip after why not also look at Rip before? In terms of being a facilitator A.I. and Chauncey are not in Rondo's league. Also Chauncey in Detroit and Chauncey in Denver had two different roles on offense. PS A.I. did not set a career high in assists as a Nugget.

Tell me something, when Paul Pierce played alongside Antoine Walker how often would he defer his late game shot attempts to him? Also tell me why Paul just came off his two most efficient offensive seasons.

Matter of a fact ever since KG and Allen arrived and Rondo developed his game he has had the 4 most efficient seasons of his NBA career. Well that's the effect good teammates have on your offensive efficiency.

Paul Pierce has benefited greatly from those around him on both ends of the floor. I am not saying he was never good defensively but both him and Ray have benefited from having KG and Perk in an effective defensive system behind them.

No doubt but my thing is with Pierce even prior to KG's arrival he was always a solid defender or at the least never labelled a "lazy" defender. Melo has that label as of now. Pierce had his moments with Walker too lets not forget, especially in the playoffs.

Im not saying Melo can't get there but as of now he's not there decision making wise and he's not defensively disciplined. He could eventually change but the fact that Karl couldn't get it out of him is a pretty big deal in my book. Its not like that Denver team was exactly chopped liver or anything....

Swashcuff
07-28-2011, 04:02 PM
No doubt but my thing is with Pierce even prior to KG's arrival he was always a solid defender or at the least never labelled a "lazy" defender. Melo has that label as of now. Pierce had his moments with Walker too lets not forget, especially in the playoffs.

Im not saying Melo can't get there but as of now he's not there decision making wise and he's not defensively disciplined. He could eventually change but the fact that Karl couldn't get it out of him is a pretty big deal in my book. Its not like that Denver team was exactly chopped liver or anything....

Agreed on everything.

J-Relo
07-28-2011, 04:16 PM
We can definitely find some good similarities in their games. At the same time we can even consider Carmelo Anthony better than Paul Pierce has even been. By the way, the Celtics system is perfect for Pierce (big 3), I would love to see Carmelo in same kind of situation.

claffyT
07-28-2011, 07:18 PM
if carmelo was replaced with pierce, and amar'e replaced with garnett, they also would have a ring, or possibly 2

Kashmir13579
07-28-2011, 07:26 PM

Its such a weird situation. Because a "prime" Paul Pierce was not as productive as post big 3 Pierce. I think they are VERY similar players. Paul Pierce had the same flaws in his game that 'Melo has. If by chance the Knicks can land Chris Paul, i think we'll see efficient-championship winning 'Melo (ala post big 3 Pierce) while 'Melo is still in his prime physically. I can't stress how much the big 3 (and Rondo) has helped to elevate Paul's game.

blahblahyoutoo
07-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Well, lets see Pierce has always being an assasin but so has Melo. Melo imo just needs to keep on playing defense the way he played as soon as he was a knick. Many people just repeat what other people say without watching the games. Melo is not a bad defender at all, i would say that Melos post game is by far greater than Pierce or any other player in the league right now. I say Melo has the ability to be in the race for mvp if the knicks get a big that can defend the paint and Melo can play without any fear on d.

So in other words, continue to play non-existent D because I didn't see any notable defense after joining the Knicks.

Kashmir13579
07-28-2011, 09:35 PM
So in other words, continue to play non-existent D because I didn't see any notable defense after joining the Knicks.

You weren't watching, apparently.

Swashcuff
07-28-2011, 10:04 PM

Clearly he wasn't

Chronz
07-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Pierce never needed these same excuses defensively

JasonJohnHorn
07-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Is 'Melo going to be the next Paul Pierce? Is he going to be the next McGrady? No, he's going to be the first Harold Miner.

Seriously, his game is more like 'Nique's, minus the awesome highlight reel $#!T. They even both abreviate their names by knocking off the first part of the name, causing an apotrsophy to be placed before the name.

MELO 15
07-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Is 'Melo going to be the next Paul Pierce? Is he going to be the next McGrady? No, he's going to be the first Harold Miner.

Seriously, his game is more like 'Nique's, minus the awesome highlight reel $#!T. They even both abreviate their names by knocking off the first part of the name, causing an apotrsophy to be placed before the name.

What the HELL are u talking about, what does names have to do with anything, his game is like one person and one person only, BENARD KING. And anyone saying that he's like pierce or even equal to pierce are straight up haters, Melo has surppassed pierce at this time as far as age is concerned, and melo is a very under rated defender, And as far as offense is concerned, He is the best all around offensive player in the game, there is no way to stop him, has one of the best, if not the best mid range game in the game, can take u off the dribble stop pop, jab step jump shot, rediculous post game, one of the quickest first steps in the game can kill u any where on the floor, and can flat out mucsle you. There is No weakness in his game offensively, Defense can alway improve, but is an ok defender. He is what some would call a Pure Basketball player, again Defense can always get better, but is very under rated defensively

Lake_Show2416
07-29-2011, 01:44 AM
1 doesnt play defense & 1 is 1 of the best defensive players in the league, their overall game is just different

PacersForLife
07-29-2011, 02:12 AM
Just wanted some people thoughts ?

I don't really see how they compare honestly. They are both scoring SF's, but that's about it. This thread made me think of something though, the person that reminds me most of Paul Pierce is Danny Granger. I'm not just saying that cause I'm a Pacer fan either. If you think about it Paul Pierce had to suffer many losing seasons on the Celtics until KG and Ray Allen got there. Danny Granger has suffered the same thing on the Pacers. What I'm trying to say is there is no doubt that both players are very good, but they cannot lead their teams by themselves.

dodie53
07-29-2011, 04:46 AM
lebron >>>>>>> PP + melo

hehehe

kurivaimu
07-29-2011, 06:30 AM
Carmelo Anthony is nowhere near Paul Pierce. Pierce has a title, finals mvp, actucally carries his team, actually plays above-decent defense, can score at will on offence, can distribute the ball and has a team lead mentality.

Carmelo on the other hand plays only on offence. He lacks the toughness, the mental attributes to be a leader of any kind. Doesn't play D. Will NEVER win a title (as the first or second option on a team. maybe as a vet on some bech). Carmelo is a brilliant offensive threat and a closer, but thanks to the fact that he is too one dimensional, i consider him maybe a top 20-25 player in the league. And thats he being basically in his prime. Meanwhile Pierce in his prime was top 10-15

MELO 15
07-29-2011, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE=kurivaimu;18708237]Carmelo Anthony is nowhere near Paul Pierce. Pierce has a title, finals mvp, actucally carries his team, actually plays above-decent defense, can score at will on offence, can distribute the ball and has a team lead mentality.

Carmelo on the other hand plays only on offence. He lacks the toughness, the mental attributes to be a leader of any kind. Doesn't play D. Will NEVER win a title (as the first or second option on a team. maybe as a vet on some bech). Carmelo is a brilliant offensive threat and a closer, but thanks to the fact that he is too one dimensional, i consider him maybe a top 20-25 player in the league. And thats he being basically in his prime. Meanwhile Pierce in his prime was top 10-15[/QUOT

By that comment of Melo just being an offensive player only, and u putting him 20-25, I suppose u believe durant is 20-25 as well, some people are rediculos, and pierce was not a winner or did anything special until kg & ray ray came along, its funny how some people forget, Melo has done more for his team than pierce has at the age of 27, go look it up partner, put melo on that celtic team instead of pierce and they probably would have won two titles, and melo would be looked at as a good defender as well, the celtics play good team defense, thats why pierce gets praise 4 his D, because he knew if he got beat he had kg and perks back there, before the trade for kg u hardly heard anything about pierces D. Did u watch the playoffs and melo sh! tted on pierce, they eventuall had to keep doubling him, if pierce was such a good defender why did he get lit up for 42, people, please think b4 u post

Knicks21
07-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Carmelo Anthony is nowhere near Paul Pierce. Pierce has a title, finals mvp, actucally carries his team, actually plays above-decent defense, can score at will on offence, can distribute the ball and has a team lead mentality.

Carmelo on the other hand plays only on offence. He lacks the toughness, the mental attributes to be a leader of any kind. Doesn't play D. Will NEVER win a title (as the first or second option on a team. maybe as a vet on some bech). Carmelo is a brilliant offensive threat and a closer, but thanks to the fact that he is too one dimensional, i consider him maybe a top 20-25 player in the league. And thats he being basically in his prime. Meanwhile Pierce in his prime was top 10-15

No, no he can't having watched a lot of Paul Pierce. He is not as quick as the new breed of players, effecting his scoring. Melos defence is average, not as good as it could be but i would not say he doesn't play it at all. Bold assumption to say he will never win a title as a player, even for us humans predicting the future most notably in basketball is near to impossible. I would really like to hear those 19 or so players that you rank above him, if you will please?

Asmart Knickfan
07-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Right now Pierce is a veteran that is in the twillight of his career and Carmelo is entering his prime. Pierce was nothing until he had a couple of superstars join him. He won a couple of titles and now he is considered a future hall of famer. If the Knicks can build a formidable team around Carmelo and Amare, he too will win Championships and will be a certain future hall of famer. He is without a doubt one of the greatest scorers I have ever seen but until he gives the effort on both ends of the court, he will be just a great scorer and not a true superstar. If NY can get a vocal leader on the court (CP3), Carmelo will become a true superstar.

JasonJohnHorn
07-29-2011, 11:26 AM
What the HELL are u talking about, what does names have to do with anything, his game is like one person and one person only, BENARD KING. And anyone saying that he's like pierce or even equal to pierce are straight up haters, Melo has surppassed pierce at this time as far as age is concerned, and melo is a very under rated defender, And as far as offense is concerned, He is the best all around offensive player in the game, there is no way to stop him, has one of the best, if not the best mid range game in the game, can take u off the dribble stop pop, jab step jump shot, rediculous post game, one of the quickest first steps in the game can kill u any where on the floor, and can flat out mucsle you. There is No weakness in his game offensively, Defense can alway improve, but is an ok defender. He is what some would call a Pure Basketball player, again Defense can always get better, but is very under rated defensively

Dude, I was joking about the the name bit ;-)

As for Bernard King, King was a better low post scorer in my book, but I agree with you that they are similar. But I stand by the 'Nique comparison, though 'Nique was better at attacking the rim.

Swashcuff
07-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Outside of above average D and ability to distribute you do realize at Melo's age NONE of that was said about Peirce right?

And your stupid statement of Melo never winning a title could you have said Paul Pierce would win one after his 24 win season prior?

balla4life22
07-29-2011, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=kurivaimu;18708237]

By that comment of Melo just being an offensive player only, and u putting him 20-25, I suppose u believe durant is 20-25 as well, some people are rediculos, and pierce was not a winner or did anything special until kg & ray ray came along, its funny how some people forget, Melo has done more for his team than pierce has at the age of 27, go look it up partner, put melo on that celtic team instead of pierce and they probably would have won two titles, and melo would be looked at as a good defender as well, the celtics play good team defense, thats why pierce gets praise 4 his D, because he knew if he got beat he had kg and perks back there, before the trade for kg u hardly heard anything about pierces D. Did u watch the playoffs and melo sh! tted on pierce, they eventuall had to keep doubling him, if pierce was such a good defender why did he get lit up for 42, people, please think b4 u post

pierce was top 5 in steals for like 4 seasons in a row before kg and ray came to boston. quit acting like he wasn't a great defender in his prime. did u watch him against lebron and kobe the year they won the ship? So what melo dropped 42 on him, Pierce dropped 50 on lebron does that make lebron a bad defender? everyone gets lit up. And for those saying Pierce didnt do anything before kg and ray came, remember when he led them to the ECF with a guy named antoine walker as the 2nd best player? nuff said. Melo is better now but I would take a solid all around prime Paul Pierce.

blahblahyoutoo
07-29-2011, 04:40 PM

i love how people overrate players as soon as they join their team.

MELO 15
07-30-2011, 01:25 AM
[QUOTE=MELO 15;18708441]

pierce was top 5 in steals for like 4 seasons in a row before kg and ray came to boston. quit acting like he wasn't a great defender in his prime. did u watch him against lebron and kobe the year they won the ship? So what melo dropped 42 on him, Pierce dropped 50 on lebron does that make lebron a bad defender? everyone gets lit up. And for those saying Pierce didnt do anything before kg and ray came, remember when he led them to the ECF with a guy named antoine walker as the 2nd best player? nuff said. Melo is better now but I would take a solid all around prime Paul Pierce.

The eastern conference was a week conference then:facepalm: Besides the nets, tell me what team was really a threat to make it to the ECF

balla4life22
07-30-2011, 01:33 AM
[QUOTE=balla4life22;18711848]

The eastern conference was a week conference then:facepalm: Besides the nets, tell me what team was really a threat to make it to the ECF

pistons, 76ers, pacers....did you read what i wrote.... ANTOINE *********G WALKER! idc how week a conference is. That celts team was filled with nobodies.

THE GIPPER
07-30-2011, 01:56 AM
1 doesnt play defense & 1 is 1 of the best defensive players in the league, their overall game is just different

uhhhh no.

gaughan333
07-30-2011, 05:07 AM
I'll take prime pierce over prime melo. If melo shows he can play defense for an entire season, maybe I'll rethink my position

DaVille
07-30-2011, 06:26 AM
hit me up when Carmelo plays Point Guard for a full game and racks up double digit assist total.

Pierce impacts basketball game a lot of ways besides scoring. Can't say the same about Carmelo; when all he cares about are STATS A one dimensional player.

SoxRTattedOnMe
07-30-2011, 07:17 AM
I had to look up their stats and it's pretty interesting. They do have similar numbers... Pierce doesn't need to score plenty of points so tht's why his numbers aren't as high... but look at the first couple of years of their careers and pierce had him beat for the most part... shoot he even outrebounded him as well. Not including playoffs Pierce Pierce done beat him 8 out of 14 times. Now that I look at the matchup pierce has outplayed him darn right and this also includes pre the big 3.

SoxRTattedOnMe
07-30-2011, 07:21 AM
[QUOTE=kurivaimu;18708237][/QUOT

Did you see the game after that when pierce put up 38 as he shot 73% on Melo?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

Sportfan
07-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Pierce is better than Carmelo right now.

Yes, I just said it

PJAF
07-30-2011, 11:58 AM

Just the opposite. Pierce is nowhere near Melo.

Chronz
07-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Just the opposite. Pierce is nowhere near Melo.

To the contrary, melo is no where near pierce

b@llhog24
07-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Didn't you vote him as the 2nd best Sf?

BkOriginalOne
07-30-2011, 03:50 PM
No, different players and careers.
PP has been carrying the celtics for 13 years, Melo was the best player on his team (with much more support than Pierce ever had until Rondo, Allen, and KG showed up).
Melo wants to be the offensive leader, big shot taker, closer. If Melo raises his defense even up to Pierce's level after KG it would be a huge improvement.

aztr0
07-30-2011, 04:13 PM
If you mean the next Paul Pierce as in winning a championship. Sure.

Kashmir13579
07-30-2011, 06:22 PM

Chronz, how can you deny the similarities in 'Melo and pre-big 3 Pierce? at least from a statistical standpoint.

Chronz
07-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Chronz, how can you deny the similarities in 'Melo and pre-big 3 Pierce? at least from a statistical standpoint.

Don't take that post seriously, I was making a point of how contrite someone comes off when that's all they say. Pierce was still superior

THE MTL
07-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Carmelo Anthony is/was always better than Paul Pierce. Yes, they share similarities and career-wise Pierce is better (and honestly its only cause of the championship).

raiddalake
07-30-2011, 08:47 PM
next who? Paul peirce haha hahhahah mello is better now. peirce aint nuthing without ray ray and kg

Bos_Sports4Life
07-30-2011, 09:44 PM
I dont like either player, but Melo is better than PP has been at any point of his career. He was considered nothing but a chucker till the other 2 came.

Pierce is a "chucker" wtf lol..

Pierce has a career

TS % .569

EFG % OF .499

Heck, thats better than...

Better TS% as wade

Better TS% than Lebron

Sooo...Did pierce shoot quite about in his prime? Sure...LIKE EVERY OTHER GOOD OFFENSIVE WEAPON

Heck, in 01-02...The year paul made the ecf, this is the breakdown for that yrs celtics

OFFENSIVE WIN SHARES

1. Pierce- 7.3
2. Tony Battie- 3.2
3. Erik Strickland- 1.8
4. Kenny anderson- 1.7

So...Pierce made the ECF while god damn tony Battie and Erik strickland were 2nd and 3rd on the team in OWS.

Now, i know the ecf was weak, but thats still crazy

Kashmir13579
07-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Don't take that post seriously, I was making a point of how contrite someone comes off when that's all they say. Pierce was still superior

Understood. But i really don't think they were that far off. I think the difference in pre-big 3 Pierce and post big 3 is maturity, shot selection, and a drop in USG. I even think their skillsets are similar and Pierce wasn't above settling for the long 2 more than he should have. Am I wrong? And if i'm not, what is it gonna take to get 'Melo to that point where he has a little self control with his shot selection? does he need a pass first PG, better teammates to take the ball out of his hands a little more, or does he just need time to mature? (or all of the above and more)

Chronz
07-31-2011, 12:18 AM
But i really don't think they were that far off.
Im assuming you mean in terms of their career development, at the same age and whatnot, to which I would agree, there were stages where it seemed close but it has yet to reach the point where both the intellegencia and the general populace favors him.

I think the difference in pre-big 3 Pierce and post big 3 is maturity, shot selection, and a drop in USG. I even think their skillsets are similar and Pierce wasn't above settling for the long 2 more than he should have. Am I wrong? And if i'm not, what is it gonna take to get 'Melo to that point where he has a little self control with his shot selection? does he need a pass first PG, better teammates to take the ball out of his hands a little more, or does he just need time to mature? (or all of the above and more)

I don't see much of a difference, Pierce has been pretty consistent throughout his career, he did start settling for bad shots 2/3s but that was a league wide problem as defenses grew stronger and his load increased.

Melo has had the advantage of playing his prime years in the hc era, with a great facilitator or scoring threat around him throughout his career.

3ballbomber
07-31-2011, 12:48 AM
there are no comparisons between Paul Pierce & Carmelo Anthony!

MELO 15
07-31-2011, 12:50 AM
Pierce is better than Carmelo right now.

Yes, I just said it

U just lost all your credability for that comment, u should not be allowed to post anymore, because from this point on anything u post will be considered garbage

Corey
07-31-2011, 11:01 AM
U just lost all your credability for that comment, u should not be allowed to post anymore, because from this point on anything u post will be considered garbage

I wonder who your favorite player is.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Melo has still a long way to go to be better than pierce.

MELO 15
07-31-2011, 04:32 PM
I wonder who your favorite player is.

Do u really have to ask? But still doesnt take away from the fact that the guy made a stupid comment

Stack_NJNets
07-31-2011, 05:13 PM
Um... No
Paul Pierce stayed with same team his whole career end of story.

Thank you. :clap:

jrm2054
07-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Melo will be better