PDA

View Full Version : Report: Owners and players to meet Monday

PC
07-27-2011, 09:46 PM
NEW YORK -- One month after the NBA lockout began, the heavy hitters will finally be back at the bargaining table Monday.

Commissioner David Stern, union director Billy Hunter and their top lieutenants have agreed to resume collective bargaining discussions, sources told ESPN.com Wednesday, for the first time since talks broke down hours before NBA owners imposed a lockout July 1, shutting down the league for the first time since the summer of 1998.

The sides remain far apart on the parameters of a new deal, but the decision to meet face-to-face again is one of the first possible signs of progress after four weeks of stagnancy.

Aside from Stern and Hunter, the meeting is expected to include NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver, players association president Derek Fisher and Peter Holt of the San Antonio Spurs, the head of the owners
negotiating committee.

When the sides last met on June 30, the players offered a six-year agreement in which they would cut their take of basketball-related income (BRI) from 57 percent to 54.6 percent -- or $100 million per year over the six years.

Owners are seeking a 10-year agreement with a hard salary cap, and their most recent proposal targeted paying the players at least $2 billion in salaries in each of the 10 seasons.

Players have argued that their cut of BRI would be cut from 57 percent to less than 40 percent under the owners' most recent proposal, while owners have maintained they need fundamental financial changes to an operating system in which they claim 22 of the league's 30 teams lost money last season. The union disputes that contention.

Attorneys from the league office and the players' union met July 15 ago to conclude the annual BRI audit, and it was agreed that the sides desired to put the negotiations on a faster track than they were on during the 1998 labor dispute, when nearly seven weeks elapsed between the last pre-lockout negotiating session and the first bargaining session after the imposition of the work stoppage. But that dispute was not settled until late-January of 1999, forcing the cancellation of games because of a work stoppage for the first time in the league's history.

Last Friday, a number of prominent player agents met with Hunter and urged him to consider fast-tracking a move toward decertification, which would enable the player to sue the owners in federal court on anti-trust grounds. Hunter, however, prefers to await a ruling from the National Labor Relations Board on an unfair bargaining practices complaint the union filed earlier this year.
Source (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6810413/nba-union-first-collective-bargaining-talks-monday-sources-said)

asandhu23
07-27-2011, 09:48 PM
they better get started or they are losing a lot of fans to NFL.

sventhedog
07-27-2011, 10:01 PM
what exactly is likely to happen here? is there a chance the lockout would end after this meeting?

marvILLous
07-27-2011, 10:04 PM
PLEASE get something done!!

gaughan333
07-27-2011, 10:09 PM
I would imagine there is like a .00000000001% chance it ends after this meeting. The two sides had a lot of different ideas. The NFL wasn't as bad and it took as long as it did.

NBA_Starter
07-27-2011, 10:11 PM
At least they are finally talking but I don't look much into it.

gaughan333
07-27-2011, 10:15 PM
yep, baby steps. I'm sold on there being no NBA next year so anything they can do now, I see as a positive.

Ezio
07-27-2011, 10:18 PM
I can just see both sides claiming what they would like to see changed and that's about it.

Hellcrooner
07-27-2011, 10:20 PM
hope deron has already scared the stupid owners enough.

airronijordan
07-27-2011, 10:27 PM
I doubt they would make much progress in that meeting

Lake_Show2416
07-28-2011, 04:55 AM
Storyline: Owners offer 65 million dollar hard cap, players decline, lockout continues

RollinDeep
07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Wait, the NBA still exists?

Seriously though, with the NFL picking up into a frenzy and Baseball playoff races, NBA's got it's work cut out for them. They'd really better pick up the slack. Can't go under the cover of the NFL lockout anymore.

Prediction: Groundhog sees shadow, 6 more weeks until players and owners talk again.

Tony_Starks
07-28-2011, 02:00 PM
what exactly is likely to happen here? is there a chance the lockout would end after this meeting?

this.

Owners: "Well, you guys broke yet?"

Players: "Um....no?"

Owners: "You guys ready to give back some of that money we screwed up in giving you in the first place?"

Players: "Um....no?"

Owners: "Then what the hell are we here for!"

end of meeting

jiggin
07-28-2011, 02:47 PM
greed...its all about greed on BOTH sides.

in my opinion, the owner of a business should be the highest paid part of the business, unless its a start up.

The employees (players) need to STFU and accept that MASSIVE paycheck they will be getting STILL under this new CBA. They are being paid to play a kids game...STFU and be thankful you are so blessed. You have a boss that is willing to pay you MILLIONS to play a game and try to entertain people. Don't get greedy and F it up for everyone...you already have insane amounts of money compared to the normal average joe worker.

Owners...get this straightened out and lets get the season going. Only thing worse than being a fan of a losing franchise is being a fan of a league that can't get its **** together and makes the fans suffer over financial greed and disagreements.

Tony_Starks
07-28-2011, 02:52 PM
greed...its all about greed on BOTH sides.

in my opinion, the owner of a business should be the highest paid part of the business, unless its a start up.

The employees (players) need to STFU and accept that MASSIVE paycheck they will be getting STILL under this new CBA. They are being paid to play a kids game...STFU and be thankful you are so blessed. You have a boss that is willing to pay you MILLIONS to play a game and try to entertain people. Don't get greedy and F it up for everyone...you already have insane amounts of money compared to the normal average joe worker.

Owners...get this straightened out and lets get the season going. Only thing worse than being a fan of a losing franchise is being a fan of a league that can't get its **** together and makes the fans suffer over financial greed and disagreements.

I see you're still comparing the players with average working people. Not going to work my friend. Thats like me saying Tom Cruise should start taking less money for his roles because he's already rich and basically getting payed just to play make believe. Doesn't work that way. He's a skilled performer that gets payed to entertain millions of people, just like the players.

Cool007
07-28-2011, 03:01 PM
PLEASE get something done!!

This.

I want lockout to end....NOW.

I want NBA back.

Crackadalic
07-28-2011, 03:05 PM
It isnt gonna mean much. Once late sept early oct comes is when things get serious

imagesrdecievin
07-28-2011, 03:07 PM
I see you're still comparing the players with average working people. Not going to work my friend. Thats like me saying Tom Cruise should start taking less money for his roles because he's already rich and basically getting payed just to play make believe. Doesn't work that way. He's a skilled performer that gets payed to entertain millions of people, just like the players.

To take it one step further:

If Tom Cruise starts getting low balled he has the option to go and work for another hollywood studio.

The NBA is a monopoly and therefore has a legal obligation to collectively bargain with the players. The players do not have to just accept whatever the owners offer like jiggin says.

Until the owners start talking about serious revenue sharing all negotiations are a waste imo because revenue sharing is the single best way to fix what is wrong with the league financially.