PDA

View Full Version : If Dwight Howard retired right now, would he make the Hall of Fame?

JordansBulls
07-27-2011, 11:39 AM
If Dwight Howard retired right now, would he make the Hall of Fame?

NYKalltheway
07-27-2011, 11:41 AM
no. Why would he? If guys like Reggie Miller can't make it, Dwight has no place near it

rapjuicer06
07-27-2011, 11:42 AM
no :(

k24magic
07-27-2011, 11:53 AM
No. Its way to early in his career check back in like 10-15 years then we well see. As of right now no not yet he has got to do more then win DPOY awards every year. He's got the potential to be in the Hall of Fame though.

Hellcrooner
07-27-2011, 12:00 PM
no.

The only active players last season that have already earned it are:
Kg/Allen/PIerce/Shaq.
Dwayne Wade
Duncan/Ginobili/Parker
Dirk/Kidd
MIng
Kobe/Pau
Nash

TheHoopsProphet
07-27-2011, 12:23 PM
is this some cruel joke? Unless you name is Benard Wallace or Alonzo Morning, centers have no business making the HoF without more than one post move. The boy needs to learn, the way our fathers like Kareem and Akeem and O'Neal did.

The only Hall of Fame Howard makes at this time is the Hall of Shame

mynameismo
07-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Nope

GhostfaceDrilla
07-27-2011, 12:38 PM
no.

Kg/Allen/PIerce/Shaq.
Dwayne Wade
Duncan/Ginobili/Parker
Dirk/Kidd
MIng
Kobe/Pau
Nash

Tony freakin Parker? Are you kidding me?

And what has Yao done? Be hurt for most of his career? He was 7'6 and averaged over 10 rpg twice in his career... 28 career playoff games...

JordansBulls
07-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Tony freakin Parker? Are you kidding me?

And what has Yao done? Be hurt for most of his career? He was 7'6 and averaged over 10 rpg twice in his career... 28 career playoff games...

Pay him no attention. The guy doesn't seem to have a clue about a lot of stuff. To say Tony Parker has a better shot at the hall than Dwight is ridiculous.

todu82
07-27-2011, 12:56 PM
No, he would not. He's a great player but has not enough yet to warrant entrance in the Hall of Fame.

TheHoopsProphet
07-27-2011, 12:59 PM
No, he would not. He's a great player but has not enough yet to warrant entrance in the Hall of Fame.

who's that angly, boney crackaddict in your sig?

Hellcrooner
07-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Pay him no attention. The guy doesn't seem to have a clue about a lot of stuff. To say Tony Parker has a better shot at the hall than Dwight is ridiculous.

how many finals mvps and rings has dwight?

i thought so.

RIGHT NOW he has a better case, specially since he is european and fiba counts too.

And the dude that talks bout ming, dont tak emy word check what the espn analysts had to say.

Some people never get that is the BASKETBALL hof not the nba hall of fame.

Dwight will Most probably get in when all is said and done, with some ring and more DPOY

TheHoopsProphet
07-27-2011, 01:06 PM

I dont know many Finals MVPs who aren't in the hall

JordansBulls
07-27-2011, 01:17 PM
I dont know many Finals MVPs who aren't in the hall

Maxwell isn't and nor will be Parker be nor Billups.

Htownballa1622
07-27-2011, 01:38 PM
no.

Kg/Allen/PIerce/Shaq.
Dwayne Wade
Duncan/Ginobili/Parker
Dirk/Kidd
MIng
Kobe/Pau
Nash

Wades one ring over lebrons 2 mvps?

I dont disagree wade getting in but to leave lebron off the list I dont get?

Didn't you make the thread of winning possibly distorting legacies?i think aside from the one ring...lebron has had a better career warranted of the hall.

Niro
07-27-2011, 01:42 PM
lol at no lebron but wade

@thread no not right now but he will when its all said and done

naps
07-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I do think Tony Parker is a lock for HOF. He was an integral part of 3 championship teams and was the finals MVPs. You can't find another player similar to his resume who didn't make it to the HOF.

And as of now Dwight doesn't make it. But years down the road he'll definitely make it.

GoPacers33
07-27-2011, 01:50 PM
With 2 more DPOY he will

Slimsim
07-27-2011, 02:06 PM
nope

Gambeezy
07-27-2011, 02:52 PM

i thought so.

Dwight will Most probably get in when all is said and done, with some ring and more DPOY

The same amount as Stockton, Malone, Reggie Miller, etc...poor argument.

Dwight has already won 3 consecutive DPOY awards in his short career (which no one has ever done). One more and he ties Wallace and Mutombo for most all-time. As far as I'm concerned, he should have at least one MVP under his belt as well.

If he retired now, he'd go into the hall eventually. It may take a while. He's easily the best and most dominant center of this generation though.

Hellcrooner
07-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Wades one ring over lebrons 2 mvps?

I dont disagree wade getting in but to leave lebron off the list I dont get?

Didn't you make the thread of winning possibly distorting legacies?i think aside from the one ring...lebron has had a better career warranted of the hall.

yes i made the thread because rings INDEED distort legacys.

i dotn know any first or second(eligible) option in a rign winning team that is not on the hall.

im ur fatha
07-27-2011, 03:19 PM

How are you going to say no when this is opinions?

theheatles
07-27-2011, 03:20 PM
he probably would make the hall of fame with what he's done...i think he could make the HOF considering that he's been the undisputed #1 center for 3 yrs...3 DPOY awards, slam dunk contest winner(he revitalized the contest), a finals appearance, 5 time all star, 4 time 1st team all nba...he could make it with what he's done but it'll take a few yrs of eligibility and he wouldn't be a headliner

GhostfaceDrilla
07-27-2011, 03:27 PM

i thought so.

RIGHT NOW he has a better case, specially since he is european and fiba counts too.

And the dude that talks bout ming, dont tak emy word check what the espn analysts had to say.

Some people never get that is the BASKETBALL hof not the nba hall of fame.

We all know if he had averaged like 5 and 5, he would still have made 8 all stars. He was a good player, an all star but not a HOF in terms of NBA, at all. He has 3 championships in China but that honestly isn't that impressive with him being an NBA All Star.

DLeeicious
07-27-2011, 03:28 PM
no

GhostfaceDrilla
07-27-2011, 03:30 PM
I do think Tony Parker is a lock for HOF. He was an integral part of 3 championship teams and was the finals MVPs. You can't find another player similar to his resume who didn't make it to the HOF.

And as of now Dwight doesn't make it. But years down the road he'll definitely make it.

He was also playing with a top 10 player of all time and top PF of all time in Tim Duncan along with Ginobili who is another HOF and is a top crunch time performer of the past decade. Team that with Gregg Poppovich and star role players such as Bowen and Horry.

THE GIPPER
07-27-2011, 03:44 PM
He will be a hall of famer when hes done but that wont be for a while. When was the last time someone won 3 straight dpoy's?

Will 2 BE
07-27-2011, 03:49 PM
I Love Dwight's game but he just has not impacted the game enough on or off the court

Hellcrooner
07-27-2011, 04:15 PM
He was also playing with a top 10 player of all time and top PF of all time in Tim Duncan along with Ginobili who is another HOF and is a top crunch time performer of the past decade. Team that with Gregg Poppovich and star role players such as Bowen and Horry.

james worhty played with two TOP 5 players ever and pat riley ....im nto sure if he already is but if he is not he will be Hof coach and "role players" like Scott, mcadoo, Ac Green, Kutchap etc etc
Yet , he won a finals Mvp and he IS in the hof.

So?

Hellcrooner
07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
btw being the best CENTER nowdays is cheap

i mean whats his competition, Some players playing out of position ( duncan, stou, Pau , Love etc)
three dudes that are supposedly great but cant play 82 games in a season between the three of them ? ming/Bynum/Oden.

Players that play only the defensive side of the spectrum ? chandler, okafor, noah...

I mean you could arguably say the second best PROPER center that plays nearly a full season every year is Bogut or marc gasol ( neither woudl have been starters in the 80s)......

LBJungaurdable6
07-27-2011, 10:42 PM
no.

Kg/Allen/PIerce/Shaq.
Dwayne Wade
Duncan/Ginobili/Parker
Dirk/Kidd
MIng
Kobe/Pau
Nash

i think u missed one
:facepalm:

Hellcrooner
07-27-2011, 10:46 PM
i think u missed one
:facepalm:

o yeah?

did i?

ye i guess spanish league, spanish cup, spanish lesgue mvp, roy, 4 allstars, 1 world cup gold, 1 silver in olympics, 1 european championship gold, various european silvers, 1 yout basketball gold, 1 wolrd cup mvp 2 nba rings in 3 finals and counting is not enough to enter the BASKETBALL hall of fame.

Lakersfan2483
07-27-2011, 11:01 PM
If Dwight Howard retired right now, would he make the Hall of Fame?

Good question. He has hall of fame talent for sure, however he doesn't have the resume yet to be a hall of famer.

Look at his stats for instance:

In 7 seasons, he has a total of 10,322 pts and 7,287 rebs and 1,228 blks. Now, those stats are good for a 7 year career, however they aren't hall of fame numbers. He needs to continue to play at a high level for another 4 to 5 years and he's a lock for sure.

In terms of accomplishments, he's led his team to the finals once and has his team in the playoffs just about every year, which works in his favor. His defensive impact is through the roof. His efficency rating is very high. He's also won 3 straight Defensive Player of the Year awards which is a very rare feat and it works to his advantage. He's been an all star 5 seasons. He's also been an all nba 1st team performer and defensive first team performer the last few years. All of that said, he is well on his way to becoming a hall of famer, but he wouldn't make it if he retired today. He doesn't have the numbers yet and needs more years playing at a high level to get in.

DwayneMVPwade
07-27-2011, 11:10 PM
No. No championships, no Mvps.

jimmyjam40
07-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Are they letting people into the hall for just winning the dunk contest..... sign up J.R. Rider and Harold Minor then!

Hellcrooner
07-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Are they letting people into the hall for just winning the dunk contest..... sign up J.R. Rider and Harold Minor then!

aw, what a waste of talent in both cases...

naps
07-27-2011, 11:43 PM

Doesn't make Parker's contributions any lesser. Show me another player who has 3 championships as one of the core players and has one final's mvp. Tony Parker is a lock for HOF, hands down.

GhostfaceDrilla
07-27-2011, 11:57 PM
james worhty played with two TOP 5 players ever and pat riley ....im nto sure if he already is but if he is not he will be Hof coach and "role players" like Scott, mcadoo, Ac Green, Kutchap etc etc
Yet , he won a finals Mvp and he IS in the hof.

So?

Yes. And Worthy was a much better player than Parker. Parker is not a hall of famer. He just isn't....

bagwell368
07-28-2011, 12:03 AM
No, but he'd make the Hall of Hype

tredigs
07-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Howard a Hall of Famer? Now? Hell no. Though, I think someday - given his projected career course - he has to be. His supreme health and entrance to the league at such a young age being the key factors there.

And 'Crooner - I realize you were called out and didn't seem to directly respond to the post, but Lebron is obviously already a Hall of Famer. 2 MVPs, top 1-5 in MVP voting for the last half decade. Arguably already top 20 All Time. Throw in that exactly zero eligible NBA MVP's are not in the Hall of Fame and you have yourself as locked as you can get. Let's drop that point though.

Howard = No, but I believe absolutely will be.

Bruno
07-28-2011, 12:13 AM
I'd lean yes. Only player in league history to win three consecutive defensive player of the year awards, lead the NBA in total rebounds for five consecutive seasons. He has the highest career TS% out of any active player in the NBA, and is 11th all time in TS%. He has led the NBA in defensive win-shares for four consecutive seasons. One finals appearance.

When you combine that with his '08 Gold medal vs. international competition, I'd say it's reasonable to say he'd get in eventually. As of now he has a hall of fame probability of .488.

If Howard were to retire today, i bet he would be included in the HOF after 7-10 years of eligibility. :shrug:

beasted86
07-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Heck no.

How many hall of famers have no championships, or MVPs and played only 6 seasons?

Htownballa1622
07-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Howard a Hall of Famer? Now? Hell no. Though, I think someday - given his projected career course - he has to be. His supreme health and entrance to the league at such a young age being the key factors there.

And 'Crooner - I realize you were called out and didn't seem to directly respond to the post, but Lebron is obviously already a Hall of Famer. 2 MVPs, top 1-5 in MVP voting for the last half decade. Arguably already top 20 All Time. Throw in that exactly zero eligible NBA MVP's are not in the Hall of Fame and you have yourself as locked as you can get. Let's drop that point though.

Howard = No, but I believe absolutely will be.

No disrespect with calling him out. I just wanted to see his stance but thanks for backing up my claim :)

And about howard....this post above mine.

tredigs
07-28-2011, 12:37 AM
I'd lean yes. Only player in league history to win three consecutive defensive player of the year awards, lead the NBA in total rebounds for five consecutive seasons. He has the highest career TS% out of any active player in the NBA, and is 11th all time in TS%. He has led the NBA in defensive win-shares for four consecutive seasons. One finals appearance.

When you combine that with his '08 Gold medal vs. international competition, I'd say it's reasonable to say he'd get in eventually. As of now he has a hall of fame probability of .488.

If Howard were to retire today, i bet he would be included in the HOF after 7-10 years of eligibility. :shrug:

If the HOF was decided solely from the writers of Basketball reference and Hardwood Paroxysm, maybe. But (for better or worse), it's not. A strong ts% and defensive dominance in the weakest centers league since 1950 aside, I think he still has much to prove. But once he gets to 10+ ASG's, 5 DPOYS and another near MVP or two, I think he has to make it.

But personally - and it might be unfair expectations - but I'm still waiting for much more from Dwight before I want to include him with the legends. He really could and should be even better than he is. Playmaking/unnecessarily excessive blocks (that go flying out of bounds rather than to his team)/controlling his unnecessary fouls/gritty-winning mentality in general all need to be improved from Dwight.

He's a shell of the player he could and someday may be. Not HOF to me.

RevisIsland
07-28-2011, 03:31 AM
No, a lot of the Dwight hype is based on potential he hasn't reached yet, he'll be a hall of famer, but he isn't one yet.

dodie53
07-28-2011, 04:19 AM
nope.
sorry.

Bruno
07-28-2011, 08:48 AM
If the HOF was decided solely from the writers of Basketball reference and Hardwood Paroxysm, maybe. But (for better or worse), it's not. A strong ts% and defensive dominance in the weakest centers league since 1950 aside, I think he still has much to prove. But once he gets to 10+ ASG's, 5 DPOYS and another near MVP or two, I think he has to make it.

But personally - and it might be unfair expectations - but I'm still waiting for much more from Dwight before I want to include him with the legends. He really could and should be even better than he is. Playmaking/unnecessarily excessive blocks (that go flying out of bounds rather than to his team)/controlling his unnecessary fouls/gritty-winning mentality in general all need to be improved from Dwight.

He's a shell of the player he could and someday may be. Not HOF to me.

He's already done legendary things. Nobody in league history has lead the NBA in total rebounds for five consecutive seasons. His five seasons leading the league in total rebounds is second all-time to only Wilt, who did it eleven times. Wilt never did it for five consecutive seasons. Mutombo lead the category four times, Rodman four times, ect.

Only player in league history to win three consecutive DPOY awards.
He's 28th all-time in MVP award shares.
He's 4th in all-time NBA FG%.
He has higher HOF probability than Rodman, Joe Dumars, Grant Hill and many others.

I expect more from him too in the future, but he's done some great things already. There are 295 people in the HOF, a lot can't say theyve broken NBA records, won Olympic Gold and been to the NBA finals as the DPOY leading the leagues top ranked defense.

Khalifa21
07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
no.

Kg/Allen/PIerce/Shaq.
Dwayne Wade
Duncan/Ginobili/Parker
Dirk/Kidd
MIng
Kobe/Pau
Nash

:laugh2:

So you're telling me that Yao Ming who accomplished pretty much nothing in his short NBA career has more of a case over two-time MVP LeBron James? You do realise there isn't one MVP (who is eligible) who hasn't been voted into the HOF?

Evolution23
07-28-2011, 09:58 AM
stupid thread