PDA

View Full Version : #6 PF In The NBA? (Volume IV)

Mile High Champ
07-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember that for the last three years I have conducted a poll at the end of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. Its is now that time to vote! I would like to start this up once more considering the NBA season is now over and we can get to this discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 2 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best.

1) Dirk Nowitzki
2) Amare Stoudemire
3) Pau Gasol
4) Zach Randolph
5) Chris Bosh
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2010 Off-Season PF Rankings

1) Pau Gasol
2) Dirk Nowitzki
3) Tim Duncan
4) Chris Bosh
5) Amare Stoudemire
6) Carlos Boozer
7) Kevin Garnett
8) Josh Smith
9) David Lee
10) Zach Randolph

2009 Off-Season PF Rankings

1) Tim Duncan
2) Kevin Garnett
3) Dirk Nowitzki
4) Chris Bosh
5) Amare Stoudemire
6) Pau Gasol
7) Carlos Boozer
8) Antawn Jamison
9) Rashard Lewis
10) David West

2008 Off-Season PF rankings

1) Tim Duncan
2) Kevin Garnett
3) Amare Stoudemire
4) Chris Bosh
5) Dirk Nowitzki
6) Elton Brand
7) Carlos Boozer
8) Pau Gasol
9) Antawn Jamison
10) David West

Mile High Champ
07-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Give me Kevin Love here. Though it is very tough between him, Blake & LA.

Hawkeye15
07-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Love

alencp3
07-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Love because he can catch the ball while jumping

Swashcuff
07-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Kevin Love here easily

NYKnickFanatic
07-27-2011, 10:00 AM
LMA. So underrated, carried that Portland team. Love is good, but LMA carried his team.

montafan
07-27-2011, 10:04 AM
LaMarcus.
LaMarcus being the best player on a playoff team>Love putting up great numbers and being the best player on a lottery team

NYKnickFanatic
07-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I feel like slapping Slaps for voting KG.

Brb, gna go see if he is a Celtics fan.

EDIT: On his about me;

About Slaps

Biography
Total Homer

Should have known.

sixer04fan
07-27-2011, 10:32 AM
I feel like slapping Slaps for voting KG.

Brb, gna go see if he is a Celtics fan.

EDIT: On his about me;

Should have known.

Hahaha

Mile High Champ
07-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Seems like it will be a two horse race.

Crackadalic
07-27-2011, 11:34 AM
K-Love for me

NYKalltheway
07-27-2011, 11:42 AM
6. Love
7. Aldridge
8. Garnett
9. Smith
10. Boozer/West/Scola

Swashcuff
07-27-2011, 11:45 AM
6. Love
7. Aldridge
8. Garnett
9. Smith
10. Boozer/West/Scola

Why are West, Smith, Boozer and Scola better than Blake Griffin?

Lil Half Dead
07-27-2011, 12:04 PM
LMA for me. Dude put Portland on his back and got them to the playoffs. Love is yet to do something of that magnitude. Of course Love put up numbers this last season, but that's all they were. Just numbers.

ewmania
07-27-2011, 12:05 PM
i voted for LaMarcus ... even tho Love was rebounding out of his mind, LaMarcus was a big reason Portland ranked so high in the West and his offense and defense both factored in the season, he really stepped it up this year

Hustlenomics
07-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Lamarcus, carried that Portland team to the playoffs without Brandon Roy and played great the whole season, most underrated player in the league

theheatles
07-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Aldridge...lol he's my #2 PF

NYKnickFanatic
07-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Without LMA, Blazers miss playoffs. Without Love, Wolves are still bad, no offense.

Baller1
07-27-2011, 01:40 PM
I voted LA.

GoPacers33
07-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Josh Smith

SugeKnight
07-27-2011, 02:11 PM
LMA, then KG

Chacarron
07-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Kevin Love.

claffyT
07-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Love. Aldrige is overrated- didn't even make the allstar team :facepalm:

Kashmir13579
07-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Aldrige had a good year on a good team. Love had an amazing year on a bad team. Individually, Love had a better year. Love should be a no brainer.

SteBO
07-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Kevin Love was better statistically this year than LMA. Love definitely should be here without question.

beasted86
07-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Continuing the discussion from the other thread, a guy who puts up 30 PPG on a dead last team in the standings would not get the same respect as a guy who put up 30 PPG on a team that finishes #1.

That is the rule of thumb in diminishing impact and stats when the player plays for one of the worst teams in the NBA. You can type a 5 page long essay, and it isn't going to change it. You can get mad, you can throw insults, you can claim to know more than everybody about basketball, but nobody cares.

So don't be surprised to see Love & Griffin continue to slide down the rankings.

beasted86
07-27-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm going with LMA here. He had quality stats and was a key piece to Portland staying in the playoff picture all season.

He's finally started to realize his full potential, and I hope he grows even more as a player.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Love for the third straight time.

Catfish1314
07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Without LMA, Blazers miss playoffs. Without Love, Wolves are still bad, no offense.

That's one way to look at it. But you also have to consider that the Blazers have one of the best, most underrated coaches in the league in Nate McMillan and the Wolves had Kurt Rambis.

I went with Kevin Love here. He's a threat to score from anywhere on the floor, he's extremely skilled for a big man, and he eats so much glass, there are holes in his gums. :rimshot:

Cano4prez
07-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Lma

Joshtd1
07-27-2011, 05:02 PM
I'd go with Love or Griffin. Im leaning towards Love because he is so damn efficient, can rebound the hell out of the ball, and is a great passer. Great bball IQ.

douglas
07-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Lamarcus Aldridge. The Blazers wouldn't have won that many games without him

nycericanguy
07-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Kevin Love was better statistically this year than LMA. Love definitely should be here without question.

This is tough one for me.

Is this really just about stats though? If so do we even need a poll?

See this is where it gets difficult, obviously Love put up better numbers than anyone else left, but we're talking about a guy that has always been on the worst team in the NBA, not just a bad team, the worst.

Sure that's not entirely his fault, but to me a truly great player leads his team to 35+ wins almost by accident. Even during David Lee's great season NY won 30+ games. Lee had a 37point, 20 reb, 13 assist game. Love has won 32 games in TWO seasons. Love had the infamous 30/30 game.

I mean you have to imagine the pressure on Love is MUCH less than say LMA, Minnesota's is out of it so early that their games become pressure free.

You look at a guy like Anthony Randolph for instance who stepped in for Love. AR put up some pretty impressive numbers when he got 30 minutes+. Look at what AR did in games he played 30+ minutes with MIN.

31, 11 & 3
24, 15 & 2
24 & 10,
23 & 10
23 & 6.

look at those lines, sure AR has talent, but are the numbers truly indicative of his talent or were they the result of playing big minutes in meaningless games?

The answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

I have to go with LMA.

Swashcuff
07-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Continuing the discussion from the other thread, a guy who puts up 30 PPG on a dead last team in the standings would not get the same respect as a guy who put up 30 PPG on a team that finishes #1.

That is the rule of thumb in diminishing impact and stats when the player plays for one of the worst teams in the NBA. You can type a 5 page long essay, and it isn't going to change it. You can get mad, you can throw insults, you can claim to know more than everybody about basketball, but nobody cares.

So don't be surprised to see Love & Griffin continue to slide down the rankings.

Why not reply to my posts in the earlier thread?

Get this rule of thumb non sense out of here.

SteBO
07-27-2011, 05:25 PM
This is tough one for me.

Is this really just about stats though? If so do we even need a poll?

See this is where it gets difficult, obviously Love put up better numbers than anyone else left, but we're talking about a guy that has always been on the worst team in the NBA, not just a bad team, the worst.

Sure that's not entirely his fault, but to me a truly great player leads his team to 35+ wins almost by accident. Even during David Lee's great season NY won 30+ games. Lee had a 37point, 20 reb, 13 assist game. Love has won 32 games in TWO seasons. Love had the infamous 30/30 game.

I mean you have to imagine the pressure on Love is MUCH less than say LMA, Minnesota's is out of it so early that their games become pressure free.

You look at a guy like Anthony Randolph for instance who stepped in for Love. AR put up some pretty impressive numbers when he got 30 minutes+. Look at what AR did in games he played 30+ minutes with MIN.

31, 11 & 3
24, 15 & 2
24 & 10,
23 & 10
23 & 6.

look at those lines, sure AR has talent, but are the numbers truly indicative of his talent or were they the result of playing big minutes in meaningless games?

The answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

I have to go with LMA.
Trust me, I see your point of view completely. I felt the same way when people were vastly overrating Zach Randolph for #4. Would he have gotten the same opportunities if Rudy Gay didn't get injured?

So I see where you're coming from here, but I can't ignore a 21 ppg and 15 rpg average. Those numbers that haven't been put up in years, and he's so efficient on top of that. I like Aldridge alot, but I just think Kevin Love's season was just too good to have him anywhere below #6 on these polls. I just think people put too much emphasis on team success or failure when evaluating players. It isn't Love's fault that his supporting cast sucks.

Swashcuff
07-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Could anyone please tell me if they've ever heard of a rule of thumb that a player on a bad team (even worst team in the league) should never be considered a top 5 player at their position?

I would really like to know.

nycericanguy
07-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Trust me, I see your point of view completely. I felt the same way when people were vastly overrating Zach Randolph for #4. Would he have gotten the same opportunities if Rudy Gay didn't get injured?

So I see where you're coming from here, but I can't ignore a 21 ppg and 15 rpg average. Those numbers that haven't been put up in years, and he's so efficient on top of that. I like Aldridge alot, but I just think Kevin Love's season was just too good to have him anywhere below #6 on these polls. I just think people put too much emphasis on team success or failure when evaluating players. It isn't Love's fault that his supporting cast sucks.

yea i mean if he was a bad team thats one thing, but to be on the worst team... i don;t know. for me thats too much to overlook, especially when I see his replacement AR, put up over 20&10 as well when he got the minutes.

But yea it goes both ways, I guess thats why this poll is pretty much even.

nycericanguy
07-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Could anyone please tell me if they've ever heard of a rule of thumb that a player on a bad team (even worst team in the league) should never be considered a top 5 player at their position?

i think thats all strictly opinion and how you view it, I don't think theres any rule of thumb for judging players like this.

Chronz
07-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Can you identify PF's who have produced at an equal or greater rate than Love while winning less games?

Joshtd1
07-27-2011, 05:48 PM
If Aldridge was on the Wolves, would they really be that much better?

Im in the boat that if Love had a better PG then Ridnour/Flynn, rookie SG in Johnson, and center in Darko the team would probably be a bit better..

I really don't think Aldridge would be able to improve that team by much, if at all, while at the same time I honestly think the Blazers would have been atleast the same if Love stepped in.

Hustlenomics
07-27-2011, 05:54 PM
If Aldridge was on the Wolves, would they really be that much better?

Im in the boat that if Love had a better PG then Ridnour/Flynn, rookie SG in Johnson, and center in Darko the team would probably be a bit better..

I really don't think Aldridge would be able to improve that team by much, if at all, while at the same time I honestly think the Blazers would have been atleast the same if Love stepped in.

they would definitely win more than 17 games because the Wolves would have someone consistent down the stretch. Everyone thought the Blazers wouldn't make the playoffs when Roy went down and Aldridge led them to the playoffs

Hawkeye15
07-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Can you identify PF's who have produced at an equal or greater rate than Love while winning less games?

that is a very fair question, however the Wolves expected win total was 24, and when your 2nd best player is Luke Ridnour, you have a problem.

You have honestly never written what you think of Love, his game, and where he stands, something I have asked you to do multiple times because I respect your opinion.

Swashcuff
07-27-2011, 05:57 PM

There is no one. No PF on any team losing, winning, or .500 has ever had the type of season Love has had (20-15-80-40).

Can you identify a player who was won less games (or a worst winning %) while still maintaining a top 5 spot at their respective position in the league?

Kashmir13579
07-27-2011, 05:59 PM

An interesting question but what is your point?

Swashcuff
07-27-2011, 05:59 PM
they would definitely win more than 17 games because the Wolves would have someone consistent down the stretch. Everyone thought the Blazers wouldn't make the playoffs when Roy went down and Aldridge led them to the playoffs

How can you say that?

What is your reasoning for saying that? Someone consistent down the stretch? Love was hurt down the stretch.

Joshtd1
07-27-2011, 06:00 PM

Miller/Matthews/Ferndandez/Camby/Batum really isn't a crappy supporting cast. Im positive Love would benefit from that as well.

Love basically outplayed him every where, except scoring and that was barely. I also would figure its because Aldridge played 4 more minutes then him too.

They even did have Roy off the bench who while with his knee injuries is still a smart good basketball player.

Swashcuff
07-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Miller/Matthews/Ferndandez/Camby/Batum really isn't a crappy supporting cast. Im positive Love would benefit from that as well.

Love basically outplayed him every where, except scoring and that was barely. I also would figure its because Aldridge played 4 more minutes then him too.

They even did have Roy off the bench who while with his knee injuries is still a smart good basketball player.

Nate McMillan (the most underrated coach in the NBA IMO) >>> Kurt Rambis

Also don't forget Gerald Wallace was part of Aldrige's support coming down to the end of the season.

Miller, Matthews and Batum played a combined 242 games. Those were three positions that weren't greatly affected by injuries. Their front court however was, and in Aldridge's defense he did a great job of carry it.

Joshtd1
07-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Nate McMillan (the most underrated coach in the NBA IMO) >>> Kurt Rambis

Also don't forget Gerald Wallace was part of Aldrige's support coming down to the end of the season.

Miller, Matthews and Batum played a combined 242 games. Those were three positions that weren't greatly affected by injuries. Their front court however was, and in Aldridge's defense he did a great job of carry it.

Wallace is another all-star caliber player he has to work out, can't believe I forgot about him.

Yes their front court was decimated by injuries, and Aldridge did a good job offensively. His defense isn't anything special IMO though, and for his size/MP he isn't that great of a rebounder.

I just think overall, skill wise and BB IQ wise K-Love is a better player.

Stack_NJNets
07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Let's use our brains and pick LMA here.

DoMeFavors
07-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Boozers gets like no love, is he really not that good anymore?

Evolution23
07-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Aldridge because Love hasn't done anything in the playoffs yet

DR_1
07-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Bosh...wow :facepalm:

NBA-GMaster
07-27-2011, 10:23 PM
ill go with Blake Griffin..

ChiSox219
07-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Blake Griffin will be #1 soon.

LTBaByyy
07-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Aldridge did not have a better season than Love

and did not have a better season than Griffin either

Kevin Love all the way here!!!

I cant believe Aldridge is about to go here!!!!

Yall are underrating Kevin Love, period.

LTBaByyy
07-28-2011, 12:31 AM
A lot of players have done what Aldridge did last season

Only a few have done what Kevin Love did last season

Raps18-19 Champ
07-28-2011, 12:42 AM
I need me ome Love.

naps
07-28-2011, 01:14 AM
Bosh...wow :facepalm:

Get over with it already! It's been a year.

naps
07-28-2011, 01:16 AM
I went with Blake Griffin here although Love wouldn't be a wrong choice either. LMA has been overrated on PSD.

Swashcuff
07-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Can't believe Kevin Love isn't winning this. SMH.

Continues to be doubted, under appreciated and underrated. Trust me when I say he'll prove all you guys wrong next season.

J-Relo
07-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Love.

jimm120
07-28-2011, 10:47 AM
I finally came into the topic to vote. I've been seeing the progress but wasn't logged in. Finally log in to vote and it was closed.

Was about to vote for Love. Oh well.

Mishmin
07-28-2011, 10:54 AM
6. Aldridge

7. Love

8.Garnett

9. Griffin

10. Boozer

beasted86
07-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Boozers gets like no love, is he really not that good anymore?

When was Boozer ever a top 5 PF?

He should go 8-10.

theheatles
07-28-2011, 01:14 PM
6. Aldridge

7. Love

8.Garnett

9. Griffin

10. Boozer

i like this

Hustlenomics
07-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Can't believe Kevin Love isn't winning this. SMH.

Continues to be doubted, under appreciated and underrated. Trust me when I say he'll prove all you guys wrong next season.

until then

Tony_Starks
07-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Lemarcus all day. Very slept on...

After that close tie between Love and Blake.