PDA

View Full Version : Are any former superstars still attendance draws?

NetsPaint
07-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Inspired by the "King Dirk" thread because of the article saying Nash, Carter, and Hill having high marketability to them.

Does former superstars such as Carter, Hill, (Nash is playing at a near superstar level so I don't know if he's in the same category as them) T-Mac, Kidd have a bunch of tickets selling because of them? I don't mean selling a whole section's worth or anything like that. Twenty something tickets, something like that.

I ask because, T-Mac was so popular that even not playing much for the Rockets a while a year or two ago he was still voted as a starter (maybe because of China fans who watch for Yao?), and last season Detroit seemed to have the same kind of attendance before he played for them as when he did, maybe because of their economy.

So yeah, does former superstars such as Grant Hill get a bunch of tickets sold in their home arena and on the road, or does most superstars usually drop drastically to the point where it looks like they lost their fan base even in their prime (they don't, you get my point).

Before his retirement I'm guessing Shaq DID sell tickets.

Sixerlover
07-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Nah, some players are notable to use as selling points (IE Hill in Charlotte because he played for Duke or Kidd in GSW because he's from the area) for a small boost in the sales, but the main draws are still the superstars and the great teams.

People come out to see Dirk and the world champion Mavs, not Jason Kidd.

sep11ie
07-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Ummmm, what?

Raph12
07-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Depends on the city, certain players are very popular in certain cities...

asandhu23
07-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Yao Ming. Booyah!

RevisIsland
07-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I'd absolutely pay to see Steve Nash.

Hellcrooner
07-26-2011, 10:58 PM
yes His "cashness" Mj.
he does not even need to play.

check 2k series lately.

Kashmir13579
07-26-2011, 11:05 PM
The Garden always sells out but there was a certain "buzz" when T-mac suited up in his Knicks uniform. (at least for the first few games)

Raps18-19 Champ
07-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Yao Ming basically.