PDA

View Full Version : Howard On Possibility Of Joining Heat

juno10
07-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Dwight Howard was asked whether he’d consider joining the Heat when he becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer.

“Never,” Howard said.

Howard stopped short of committing to any specific action with the Magic.

"At this point, I don't know what I'm going to do,” Howard said. “I'm just enjoying life and taking advantage of being young and being able to travel and do the things that I've always wanted to do."

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/6799831/dwight-howard-hypes-kick-buttowski-comic-con

Hawkeye15
07-26-2011, 11:51 AM
its a stupid question anyways. There is no way they could sign him

ManRam
07-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah, even if he wanted to, he never could sign there, unless he wanted to take a tiny salary, and that would never happen.

LakersIn5
07-26-2011, 12:03 PM
stupid. legacy means to him more than winning.

Hellcrooner
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
its a stupid question anyways. There is no way they could sign him

mmm.....

if i was him ( or any other YOUNG FA superstar who can make LOADS of money just from sponsors) i woudl sign a 1 year deal for the minimum with
them ( or mavs or lakers or bulls or NY) win my ring and then go where the money is.

Avenged
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Hallelujah. :p

smith&wesson
07-26-2011, 12:07 PM
most superstars in his position would say "im gonna leave all my options open" it takes some balls to straight out say no!

netsgiantsyanks
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
dreams crushed

lvlheaded
07-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Only way it was happening any way was if one of Bosh, Wade, or LeBron got traded. Thats ballsy though. Most guys say, ill look into every situation and do whats best for my family, my career, and myself. He just said flat out never.

Avenged
07-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Not like they can afford him but still.. Crushes at least the little possibility of it ever happening. I respect that his primary goal is to stay in Orlando and bring them a championship, and if that doesn't workout for him, at least he isn't out to join a team full of #1 options. That's not always the best way to success as it's been shown time and time again.

Slimsim
07-26-2011, 12:17 PM
I wonder if Orlando would pull the trigger on a LBJ for Howard Swap

mjm07
07-26-2011, 12:27 PM
^^ at the very least I know Orlando would. Especially if they know Howard wants out.

Don't know/think if the Heat would.

Let the LBJ(bashing)vs Howard begin...

Hellcrooner
07-26-2011, 12:30 PM

orlando would, lebron is a cash money and they get "something " for a fa that may walk away.

heat probably would not but they SHOULD , wade and howard would be like kobe and shaq with the difference that bosh is better than anyone on the lakers threpeat roster.

sixer04fan
07-26-2011, 12:37 PM
I smell another Heat homer/hate thread... Here it comes... 3, 2, 1...

Lil Half Dead
07-26-2011, 12:37 PM
No surprise. But good to see he isn't buddying up with them.

DR_1
07-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Ya Dwight!!!!!!!!

SteBO
07-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Don't even see why the question needed to be asked.

SwaggaIke
07-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Not like they can afford him but still.. Crushes at least the little possibility of it ever happening. I respect that his primary goal is to stay in Orlando and bring them a championship, and if that doesn't workout for him, at least he isn't out to join a team full of #1 options. That's not always the best way to success as it's been shown time and time again.

It's been shown time & time again that teams w/ multiple stars win championships. The Mavericks are the abberation, not the rule. For every '04 Piston team there are countless other chamipionship teams that utlized the multiple star formula.

As for Howard, noone cares. The guy is a great player but he doesn't shift the balance of the league as an individual.

SwaggaIke
07-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Preach.

DR_1
07-26-2011, 12:54 PM
It's been shown time & time again that teams w/ multiple stars win championships. The Mavericks are the abberation, not the rule. For every '04 Piston team there are countless other chamipionship teams that utlized the multiple star formula.

As for Howard, noone cares. The guy is a great player but he doesn't shift the balance of the league as an individual.

:facepalm:

kozelkid
07-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Well IF Miami were to trade one or two of their big 3...

Regardless, very ballsy response by Howard. I love it.

Lol, you can't be serious.

If he joins Chicago, Dallas, OKC or LA, each team will probably be the best now or at the very least right there with the Heat.

If he joins NJ or LAC, they will be right there as well with great futures too.

Only way Howard doesn't make a major impact is if he remains a Magic considering how little flexibility that team has atm.

GoPacers33
07-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Smart man

sixer04fan
07-26-2011, 01:33 PM
After seeing the scrutiny that they went through this year, you can't blame him for not wanting to be a part of that, to be universally hated every night he goes out to play... Championship or not, I don't think those players can ever have fun playing basketball again.

mjm07
07-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Totally disagree. You think Jordan felt like that after losing so many years to the Pistons? Nope! I'm sure when Lebron/Wade/Bosh win the championship its gonna so much sweeter especially after all the BS they've had to deal with.

Stack_NJNets
07-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Its impossible nearly

beasted86
07-26-2011, 01:53 PM
No surprise. But good to see he isn't buddying up with them.
They never said Howard was friends with Wade, Bosh or LeBron, so that doesn't make sense.

Only connection they have is LeBron was in some McDonalds commercials with him, and Wade in some T-Mobile commercials. During the Olympic team run I think they said he was more buddy with Boozer and Kobe.

beasted86
07-26-2011, 01:55 PM
After seeing the scrutiny that they went through this year, you can't blame him for not wanting to be a part of that, to be universally hated every night he goes out to play... Championship or not, I don't think those players can ever have fun playing basketball again.
I guarantee you they all have fun playing basketball.

Who wouldn't love to be a multi-millionaire playing for a contender with 2 of your good friends and competing at the highest level?

PatsSoxKnicks
07-26-2011, 02:04 PM

Wait what? If you look at NBA history, the teams "full of #1's" tend to win multiple championships. You're only saying that because of the end result of the Heat season and because of the Mavs winning it all. Well for every Mavs team or Pistons team, there's 3 or 4 Laker teams with Shaq+Kobe or Magic+Kareem, etc. that win. And despite the Heat losing, we have no idea what they're going to do after this year. They may go onto win the next 5-6 championships for all you know.

The general rule of the NBA is that talent wins. Lots of talent- Celts of the 80s with 3 HOFers, Celts of the 60s that was oozing HOFers, Lakers of the 80s and Kobe+Shaq era, etc. Even the Spurs this decade, Manu is one of the most underrated players of our generation and may not get the recognition he deserves because he's a foreign player. However, he's got a decent shot at the HOF I think.

Raph12
07-26-2011, 02:10 PM
LBJ for D12 trade would work out for everyone not named "Lebron James"; Heat get that huge low-post presence on both ends and Wade goes back to being the primary ballhandler; Magic get the best possible return on a player who'll likely be leaving ASAP... I doubt the Heat do it, but I doubt even moreso that if it goes through, Lebron stays a Magic player.

RevisIsland
07-26-2011, 02:21 PM
I love that even the other stars hate the Heat.

THE GIPPER
07-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Why would they ask this? They know dwight doesn't like the heat...

Tony_Starks
07-26-2011, 02:44 PM
It was a fantasy question don't be so sensitive. They asked him about the Lakers too. But for him to say a definite "never" is pretty cool in my book. Shows me he'd rather beat them than join them.

Gotta respect that....

ChicagoJ
07-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Yea, he would never do it. Howard is a respectable player right now and all that credibility would go down the tubes if he went to the heat (even though thats not on the table for either side). People would see him in the same light they saw LeBron when he left Cleveland.

John Walls Era
07-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Yea, he would never do it. Howard is a respectable player right now and all that credibility would go down the tubes if he went to the heat (even though thats not on the table for either side). People would see him in the same light they saw LeBron when he left Cleveland.

No they won't. Lebron betrayed his city and his team by doing "the decision".

----

Don't know if its a smart move for Dwight to burn bridges so soon.

theheatles
07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
he said NEVER because he knows if he were to sign with miami he would make max $5 million a yr and obv he ain't doing that....and why would he bother inviting unnecessary criticism

Tony_Starks
07-26-2011, 03:04 PM
he said NEVER because he knows if he were to sign with miami he would make max $5 million a yr and obv he ain't doing that....and why would he bother inviting unnecessary criticism

I don't think so pal. Its not like he could make big money with the Lakers either and he didn't say "never." He said never because hecause he's not trying to go to Lebron or Wades team. Don't know if you were paying attention this past season but he doesn't like the Heat......

Sly Guy
07-26-2011, 03:06 PM
I really WANT to see D12 for LBJ go down. I would be able to stop hating the heat, and it'd screw LBJ over large. Hating is fun. I should know, I'm from Toronto.

naps
07-26-2011, 03:08 PM
LOL. Dwight was never a possibility for Heat. People are acting like Miami Heat is missed out on something. If anything Dwight will feel left out of the party.

And people who are all over Dwight, I'll be interest to see your reaction if Dwight goes somewhere else other than your team. Something reminds me of LeBron drama during last summer.

naps
07-26-2011, 03:11 PM
I don't think so pal. Its not like he could make big money with the Lakers either and he didn't say "never." He said never because hecause he's not trying to go to Lebron or Wades team. Don't know if you were paying attention this past season but he doesn't like the Heat......

He doesn't like the Heat and that makes sense. Why would you like a team that's in your own division and pretty much ends your championship dream?

May be he's going to LA since he didn't say never about LA.

Miami316Heat
07-26-2011, 03:11 PM
DH12 going to Atlanta Hawks!!! " You CAN'T beat them JOIN them" buhahahahahahahaahh

Canterbury
07-26-2011, 04:17 PM
^You signed on to say that?

It was a stupid question to be asked in the first place.

gaughan333
07-26-2011, 04:18 PM

I really think that depending on where he ends up, he really could shift the balance of the league

John Walls Era
07-26-2011, 04:20 PM
I thought Dwight and Bosh were friends. But I think Dwight really hates Lebron (or at least dislike him).

Tony_Starks
07-26-2011, 04:28 PM
I think Dwight really enjoys the idea of being the man in his own town. He can't necessarily go all out and commit to staying in Orlando because he has to keep the pressure on Otis to make some moves. But this is far from a Melo situation, he actually wants to be there.

At the end of the day I think he'll stay but if by chance he walks I don't think it will be where everyone thinks, I can see him going to the ATL to play with his boy and JJ.

king4day
07-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Since they can't afford him, it's unlikely he'll ever join anyway. But a trade is possible if it were for Bosh and change. I'm pretty sure he'd sign an extension there if that were to happen.

dodie53
07-26-2011, 06:11 PM
good straight forward answer

Raps18-19 Champ
07-26-2011, 06:15 PM
They can trade sign and trade Bosh and Miller for him maybe?

Dash
07-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah and there going to get Kobe Durant Rose too!

MTar786
07-26-2011, 09:25 PM
orlando would, lebron is a cash money and they get "something " for a fa that may walk away.

heat probably would not but they SHOULD , wade and howard would be like kobe and shaq with the difference that bosh is better than anyone on the lakers threpeat roster.

Yea and wade and dwiht are not on shaq and kobes level.

clearly howard is not on shaqs level. i guess you could argue wade is on the level of 2001 and 2002 kobe. But thats irrelevent because shaq was the most important player on those teams.. also dwiht on his best day was not shaq on is worst day durin that 3peat.

Dade County
07-26-2011, 09:39 PM
I really WANT to see D12 for LBJ go down. I would be able to stop hating the heat, and it'd screw LBJ over large. Hating is fun. I should know, I'm from Toronto.

This way of thinking, is a damn shame... smh

No one sees how ridiculous this way of thinking is:confused:

BLAME YOUR GM & OWNER!!!

Since they can't afford him, it's unlikely he'll ever join anyway. But a trade is possible if it were for Bosh and change. I'm pretty sure he'd sign an extension there if that were to happen.

Smart man... But it's probably not going to happen ( Howard will get traded to the west )

Master Mind
07-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Yea and wade and dwiht are not on shaq and kobes level.

clearly howard is not on shaqs level. i guess you could argue wade is on the level of 2001 and 2002 kobe. But thats irrelevent because shaq was the most important player on those teams.. also dwiht on his best day was not shaq on is worst day durin that 3peat.

Different case, Wade would make Howard better where as Shaq made Kobe better...

MTar786
07-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Different case, Wade would make Howard better where as Shaq made Kobe better...

if you think dwight could be prime shaq ever then you are sadly mistaken.. :facepalm:

Dade County
07-26-2011, 10:01 PM
if you think dwight could be prime shaq ever then you are sadly mistaken.. :facepalm:

He's not saying that, (take another look).

He's saying Shaq with his dominance made kobe better, because the other teams had to focus on Shaq so much; Wade would do that for Howard.

pd1dish
07-26-2011, 10:26 PM
mmm.....

if i was him ( or any other YOUNG FA superstar who can make LOADS of money just from sponsors) i woudl sign a 1 year deal for the minimum with
them ( or mavs or lakers or bulls or NY) win my ring and then go where the money is.

Howard on any of those teams does not ensure a ring in the first year theyre together. easily they would be in the conference finals and probably in the finals, but anything can happen once the NBA Finals start.

blahblahyoutoo
07-26-2011, 11:05 PM
howard is overrated.
granted, his offense improved a lot last year, but still overrated IMO.

Stuckey#3
07-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Totally disagree. You think Jordan felt like that after losing so many years to the Pistons? Nope! I'm sure when Lebron/Wade/Bosh win the championship its gonna so much sweeter especially after all the BS they've had to deal with.

*BS they've had to deal with that they created.

Derick713
07-27-2011, 12:02 AM

They would. The Magic would be getting fair value in return.

PG-Mario Chalmers/Norris Cole/
SG-Dwyane Wade/
SF-Mike Miller/
PF-Chris Bosh/Udonis Haslem/
SC-Dwight Howard/Joel Anthony/

Raps18-19 Champ
07-27-2011, 12:03 AM
You people do realize that if Howard demands a S & T to the Heat, Lebron doesn't have to be going back.

Dade County
07-27-2011, 12:28 AM
They would. The Magic would be getting fair value in return.

PG-Mario Chalmers/Norris Cole/
SG-Dwyane Wade/
SF-Mike Miller/
PF-Chris Bosh/Udonis Haslem/
SC-Dwight Howard/Joel Anthony/

NO!

Once again... Only player you can trade Lbj for is D Wade ( and we have them both, discounted ).

You people do realize that if Howard demands a S & T to the Heat, Lebron doesn't have to be going back.

The masses never realize anything, until innovators tell them what to think/realize. They can't fathom, Pat can put a package of Bosh and fillers (other teams involve of course) together; and make it very attractive for the Magic (But it's not going to happen, Howard will be sent packing west).

naps
07-27-2011, 12:58 AM

This.

Either Orlando gets some deals centered around Bosh and or lose him for nothing, ofcourse if Dwight wants to force the Magic hand. I am pretty sure Orlando will have to take on that if Dwight doesn't change his mind. Otherwise, they will be left with some picks just like the Cavs and the Raptors unfortunately. If that happens Dwight will be even more hated than LeBron. So he's not gonna do it.

My best guess for Dwight is Nets if Deron stays there. He wants to be in a big city and be the man at the same time. That's not happening in LA (at least as long as Kobe is there), or in Chicago (Rose is the homeboy). I am not too sure about New York though. New York should focus more on CP3. They might look forward to sign CP3 first and then ship Amare in order to make space for Dwight. A CP3-Melo-Dwight combo would be devastating. They will complement each other nicely. For people who are saying Dwight might choose to go home (ATL), I don't see it happening.

Tmath
07-27-2011, 01:17 AM
I wish Dwight would do the impossible and sign with the Raptors.

It would just be nice for a superstar to have toronto as there #1 destination for once.

He would be treated like a king here imo.

$GangGr33n$
07-27-2011, 01:23 AM
not gonna happen

Tmath
07-27-2011, 01:33 AM
not gonna happen

Never said it was, thats why I said THE IMPOSSIBLE.

thaShady
07-27-2011, 01:39 AM
I wish Dwight would do the impossible and sign with the Raptors.

It would just be nice for a superstar to have toronto as there #1 destination for once.

He would be treated like a king here imo.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

thaShady
07-27-2011, 01:40 AM
I think NBA players would rather play in Utah, and that's saying something...

Rosh
07-27-2011, 03:46 AM
Bravo, Dwight.

TrueFan420
07-27-2011, 04:53 AM
Never said it was, thats why I said THE IMPOSSIBLE.

keep the dream alive

3ballbomber
07-27-2011, 06:41 AM
wade and howard would be like kobe and shaq with the difference that bosh is better than anyone on the lakers threpeat roster.
I've always said, even before the whole Lebron to South Beach spectacle that if Howard was ever to team up with Wade shut the league down.......it's OVER!!

Mavs would have been toast if Miami had Howard instead of Lebron.