PDA

View Full Version : King Dirk: The New Master Of NBA Marketability

MFFL==FML
07-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Forget LeBron James and Kobe Bryant and their sponsorship deals; the NBA's new most marketable player isn't interested in truly cashing in on his fame.

Dirk Nowitzki has taken the crown as the most marketable man in pro basketball. The Mavericks star replaced Shaquille O'Neal, who retired.

Nowitzki, a 10-time NBA All-Star, has an N-Score of 132, a whopping 59 percent higher than Kobe Bryant's 83.

The N-Score measures name and image awareness, appeal and personality attributes such as sincerity, approachability, experience and influence, both at the U.S. national and local levels.

Despite the Mavericks star's popularity, without an agent or business manager, the pride of Wurzburg, Germany, doesn't seem motivated in cashing in on his profit-making potential.

Nowitzki could be leaving a couple of million dollars on the table annually and maybe more, according to branding experts. He's got a single endorsement deal with Nike.

"I always wanted to be a basketball player. Nothing more. Nothing less," Nowitzki told Bloomberg. "I have never really considered myself to be a 'brand.' Sure there are a few things that I wouldn't mind endorsing and maybe some day it will work out. For now, I am happy with where I am."

Dirk's not struggling to pay his bills, having earned over $141,342,603 over his career with the Mavericks.

James and teammate Dwyane Wade's plummeting endorsement value is the most shocking part of Nielsen's report.

King James, from hero to villain, 'witnessed' his marketability fall off an astonishing 403.8 percent, from an N-Score of 131 in 2010, down to just 26 in 2011.

D-Wade received his own flabbergasting dose of tough love. Wade's bankability dropped 244.1 percent in a single season, from 117 to 34.

It's also interesting to note ...

The Phoenix Suns have an amazing 30 percent (Steve Nash, Grant Hill and Vince Carter) of the most marketable NBA players.

Pau Gasol joined Kobe Bryant as the second Lakers player in the Top 10.

Eight of the top 10 most marketable players are in the Western Conference.

Kevin Garnett of the Celtics and Derrick Rose of the Bulls are the only Eastern Conference players to crack the top 10.

Blake Griffin, the Clippers rookie of the year, didn't make the cut, and neither did Magic center Dwight Howard nor Knicks stars Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201107/mavericks-dirk-nowitzki-new-king-nba-marketability

MFFL==FML
07-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Dirk = Jesus

Sly Guy
07-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Dirk = Jesus

Agree 100%

Bubba313
07-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Is this really true? I highly doubt Pau, Vince, and KG are more marketable than Dwight, Blake, Melo and Amar'e. If that is true then I'm surprised.

smith&wesson
07-26-2011, 12:18 PM
I love Dirk but this is just a bad business decision. 1-2 million over a span of a career is alot of money to leave on the table. if nike wants to pay you for being on theyre poster why not let them ?

ddhulett
07-26-2011, 12:56 PM
I love Dirk but this is just a bad business decision. 1-2 million over a span of a career is alot of money to leave on the table. if nike wants to pay you for being on theyre poster why not let them ?

Because he doesn't care for it, Dirks good with his money and doesn't blow it all on stupid stuff like a lot of stars out there. He has more money than he knows what to do with so 1-2 million doesn't mean a lot to him.

AIRMAR72
07-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Dirk = Jesus

the new champ

RevisIsland
07-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Good to hear he's finally getting the marketing opportunities he deserves.

gaughan333
07-26-2011, 04:12 PM

The way he views himself is worth more to him than 1-2 million dollars.

gaughan333
07-26-2011, 04:12 PM
I like Dirk more as that quiet, forgotten about super star. I don't know why.

king4day
07-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Yay Suns!!
I'm shocked Lebron fell. I thought his jersey sales were still going well. And I think he makes the most in the league off endorsments. I wonder if the drop was due to fans hatred.

mjokc
07-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm just gonna say it... It's because Dirk is white.

Brooklyn Mets
07-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Is this really true? I highly doubt Pau, Vince, and KG are more marketable than Dwight, Blake, Melo and Amar'e. If that is true then I'm surprised.

this

ragee
07-26-2011, 08:56 PM

John Stockton was like this too... Some players just don't care that much about money... They are already getting enough for themselves anyway...

gatkins11
07-26-2011, 09:07 PM

*german

marj987
07-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Reading this just got me pregnant.

Hellcrooner
07-26-2011, 10:06 PM
*german

didnt know that you needed to be american to be "white"

if he was an unknown and you met him on a gas station and he didnt say a word would you be thinking he is not white?

and btw thats not the reason for his marekability, the reason is he just won a ring vs the "evil empire"

Trace
07-27-2011, 12:04 AM
didnt know that you needed to be american to be "white"

if he was an unknown and you met him on a gas station and he didnt say a word would you be thinking he is not white?

and btw thats not the reason for his marekability, the reason is he just won a ring vs the "evil empire"

That's a silly simplification of his image. It's not really a hard concept, actually it is quite simple, Dirk is mature and is able to conduct himself in public without drawing himself unto the media spotlight with questionable comments. I'm sure he was already marketable prior to winning but winning just put him over the top (Along with overcoming the 2006 Finals loss etc). Dirk is just more open and relatable than the cold, harsh, overtones that the so-called "evil empire" emit.

Dirk blamed himself, he didn't blame it on some imaginary man in the sky. He took it upon himself to overcome an obstacle that haunted him and deservedly so, he reached his goal through trials and tribulations. The "Evil Empire" on the other hand made excuses, took shortcuts and took the game of basketball for granted, actions of which that are not as favorable or tolerant in the public eye as Dirk's approach.

Personally, I think Lebron needs a new publicist.

TrueFan420
07-27-2011, 02:18 AM

So when Lebron lead the marketability charts last year was it because he was black?