PDA

View Full Version : The Best Basketball State?

GoPacers33
07-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Not just for the NBA but which state do you think produces the best players and has the best basketball history?

GoPacers33
07-26-2011, 09:41 AM
I say Indiana. Not homering it i really think that basketball is just crazy in Indiana. North Carolina would be second for me

NYKalltheway
07-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Id' say NY, but how do you factor out population difference?

FOBolous
07-26-2011, 09:44 AM
every Texas team has won at least 1 championship.

Sly Guy
07-26-2011, 09:48 AM
NC. You can't count out the best rivalry in all of sports.

And everyone who's posted above me is pure homer

king4day
07-26-2011, 09:55 AM
NC. College is bigger here than the NBA is for any city. It produces some pretty decent NBA stars too.

GoPacers33
07-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Indiana has a bunch of NBA Players. I have two from my high school and they are Greg Oden and Mike Conley from Lawerence North. Also Eric montross played there to

Khalifa21
07-26-2011, 10:11 AM
NY for producing players and NC for pure basketball love.

Htownballa1622
07-26-2011, 10:15 AM
NC. You can't count out the best rivalry in all of sports.

And everyone who's posted above me is pure homer

Thats just college. Theres more than just college basketball.when I think basketball states I think of texas, california,ny, and florida.

I'm going to say texas because not only do the pro sports teams all win at some point, and there are many good college basketball teams, but texas high school basketball might be the best state for high school ball.

Will 2 BE
07-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Jordan, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Carmelo, Dr. Jay, Nate Archibald, Connie Hawkins, Bernard King, and 280 NBA players were born in the state of NY.

JL93
07-26-2011, 11:00 AM
NC and Indiana

Sly Guy
07-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Jordan, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Carmelo, Dr. Jay, Nate Archibald, Connie Hawkins, Bernard King, and 280 NBA players were born in the state of NY.

but how many were born as all stars? Gotta look into where they learned/played their ball, and how good the market is for college/pro teams. Where someone is born doesn't matter in the slightest, where they were raised does.

wjmoffatt
07-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Indiana! Oscar Robertson and Larry Bird; two of the top ten all time players!
If you go with college it's still Indiana because their players are home grown and North Carolina steals their players from Indiana; Zeller (Indiana), and all the Plumlees (Indiana). Look at March Madeness last year; Butler (Runner Up), Notre Dame (#2 seed), and Purdue (#3 seed).

tredigs
07-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Cali produced Ray Allen, J. Kidd, Steph Curry, Brandon Jennins, K. Love, Jrue Holiday, James Harden, Tyson Chandler, Lopez brothers, LANDRY FIELDS!, Baron Davis, and a ton of other current players. Cesspool of NBA talent grows up here.

kingkenny01
07-26-2011, 11:42 AM
no one said california yet
UCLA best basketball college team ever
players like paul pierece, ray allen, bill walton, russell westbrook, reggie miller, rick barry , jason kidd etc.

Bubba313
07-26-2011, 11:49 AM
NY for producing players and NC for pure basketball love.

I would go the opposite of this answer. lol.

Just my opinion, but I feel like it's hard to find somebody who really doesn't like basketball and doesn't play it in NY.

In NC they produce great talent.

Baller1
07-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Seattle, Washington.

Lil Half Dead
07-26-2011, 12:40 PM
I'd say Indiana forsure.

wjmoffatt
07-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Cali produced Ray Allen, J. Kidd, Steph Curry, Brandon Jennins, K. Love, Jrue Holiday, James Harden, Tyson Chandler, Lopez brothers, LANDRY FIELDS!, Baron Davis, and a ton of other current players. Cesspool of NBA talent grows up here.

Out of all of those guys how many are Hall of Famers 2! Every state can name players that are in the league now!
Indianas got Greg Oden, Mike Conoley, McRoberts, Eric Gordan, JaJuan Johnson, Etwuan Moore, etc....who cares!

Khalifa21
07-26-2011, 12:43 PM
I would go the opposite of this answer. lol.

Just my opinion, but I feel like it's hard to find somebody who really doesn't like basketball and doesn't play it in NY.

In NC they produce great talent.

I agree, when I said producing I meant players being born there, but yeah.. I'd say you're right.

wjmoffatt
07-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Jeff Teague...

kho1313
07-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Depends on the what the criteria is... but if it is guys coming out of high school and still in the NBA I'd have to say Illinois is right up there.

KG, Rose, D-Wade, Maggette, Shannon Brown, Luther Head, Andre Iguodala, Nazr Mohammed, Eddie Curry*, Juwan Howard, Q. Richardson, Julian Wright, Shaun Livingston, Will Bynum, Shawn Marion, Tony Allen, Jason Maxiell, Sean May*, Brian Cook, Melvin Ely, Evan Turner

*Maybe in the NBA next year?

There are more that are in the NBA but here are the top 20.

JasonJohnHorn
07-26-2011, 01:08 PM
I'd say Michgan has likely been the most successful basketball state over the last 30 years. Magic at MS, and several MS titles, the Fab Five at Michigan and back-to-back NCAA finals appearances, and three NBA titles with the Pistons, 5 conference championships, and mutiple division titles. There are teams who have had more NBA success (LA, Boston, Chi-town), but none who have had more NBA and NCAA success that I can think of.

As for who produces the best players, I'm a little mixed up as to what counts. Does it count if the player is developed via the college or pro system in that state, or do they have to be born in the state?

MrfadeawayJB
07-26-2011, 01:31 PM
NY or Cali hands down

Bubba313
07-26-2011, 01:50 PM
I agree, when I said producing I meant players being born there, but yeah.. I'd say you're right.

Yea, I figured that's what you meant but I didn't realize until I posted. But yup your definitely right about that.

RevisIsland
07-26-2011, 02:24 PM
New York and Indiana has to be 1-2 in some order. North Carolina has the best college.

theheatles
07-26-2011, 02:41 PM
i say california wins because they have the most excellence at all levels, high school, college(UCLA), pros(lakers - half of all nba finals appearances <-- too sick)...also with cali having 4 pro teams

tredigs
07-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Out of all of those guys how many are Hall of Famers 2! Every state can name players that are in the league now!
Indianas got Greg Oden, Mike Conoley, McRoberts, Eric Gordan, JaJuan Johnson, Etwuan Moore, etc....who cares!

Well WJmoffatt - The Queen Of Defense! - I named more/better players than you did, and left off plenty more like Paul Pierce (there's another HOF for ya), Afflalo, Chuck Hayes, Richard Jefferson, Darren Collison, etc. And in naming current players was speaking to the state of basketball in the state as it currently stands - which is fairly dominant, even if most of our top athletes are spread between all the sports and we're not generally considered a "basketball state" ala Indiana. Our sheer population size/talent pool is enough to dominate the little guys like Indi now a days.

GoPacers33
07-26-2011, 03:23 PM
In 49 states its just basketball, but this is Indiana. hahaha

Stack_NJNets
07-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Indiana

gaughan333
07-26-2011, 04:24 PM
NC, NY, Illinois, Florida, and California would all be before Indiana

COOLbeans
07-26-2011, 04:47 PM
California. period.

Oakland alone has produced players such as Gary Payton, Bill Russel, JR Rider, Jason Kidd, and Leon Powe among a host of other great players.

Korman12
07-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I'll go California here to be safe.

JWO35
07-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Players birthplace that produce good NBA Talent

1)New York/New Jersey
2)California
3)Texas
4) Florida
5) Georgia

STA_PLAR
07-26-2011, 05:05 PM
people say NC, but i dont know ONE player aside from MJ that was from NC... yes, they go there to play ball, but if NBA players could choose, they would all go to NY and be KNICKS, well, most of them... (no, the 3 from miami would have gone to ny if ny could have signed them all... just wasnt possible because of the CBA)

soo, with that being said, i would say LA or NY... but if u look at the talent from NY that has reached greatness, NY would win, but LA is a veryyyyyyy close 2nd IMO, but opinions are opinions...

STA_PLAR
07-26-2011, 05:06 PM
California. period.

Oakland alone has produced players such as Gary Payton, Bill Russel, JR Rider, Jason Kidd, and Leon Powe among a host of other great players.

Leon Powe is not a great player

NY has made better players than Cali has... MJ... Melo... Kareem... should i keep going? google it...

Kashmir13579
07-26-2011, 06:27 PM
NY and Illinois

knicks4life33
07-26-2011, 06:30 PM
ny obvisouly.

Sixerlover
07-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Leon Powe is not a great player

NY has made better players than Cali has... MJ... Melo... Kareem... should i keep going? google it...

Don't claim MJ or Melo. Neither went to Middle or High School in that entire state :laugh2:

I'll go Cali just because of pure size, but don't forget that PHILLY (not even the entire state of PA) produced Wilt and Kobe. Pay homage. Yes, pay homage.

LakersA's49ers
07-26-2011, 06:41 PM
pennsylvania! it produced kobe and wilt!

asandhu23
07-26-2011, 07:02 PM
California.

We also have hella streetballers balling it up at Venice Beach and that famous place in Oakland which I don't remember the name of.

Cal, UCLA, Stanford, USC, San Diego State always have good basketball teams.

Lakers, Warriors, Kings, Clippers.

etc
k

GREATNESS ONE
07-26-2011, 07:05 PM
California !!!!

Lloyd Christmas
07-26-2011, 07:18 PM
When I think basketball I think Indiana. Football I think Texas. Baseball I think California. Beer pong I think My backyard where I will dominate any state.

Mr.ATLHawks
07-26-2011, 07:30 PM
This is a hard question I would have to say Illinois, Cali, NY, and NC

Indiana??? Yeah right... Name 10 great players from there, dont worry I will wait.

Georgia in the past 10 years has put some studs in the league but i dont believe they belong in the conversation.

NYC is known for there point guards but outside of PG's I cant think of anyone off the top of my head.

I believe Chicago has the best pedigree here recently and someone kindly left Doc Rivers off the Chicago list (Proviso East HS).

If you went based on where they went to HS at then Virginia (Oak Hill Academy) would probably win this hands down. Very intriguing question though.

Venomous88
07-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Amongst larger states, of course it's California and NY. I think of Texas and the rest of the south as more football states. Amongst less populated states, Connecticut has a great basketball culture from what I've experienced and also Indiana just because of there history. You also can't forget NC, as when I took my visit at UNC, it was another level when it came to college basketball.

California, NY, Connecticut, Indiana, and NC all come to mind when I think of basketball states.

mjokc
07-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Oklahoma hands down. Blake Griffin is enough to give us that title :)

aussie
07-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Nc

Mishmin
07-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I can understand arguments for indiana.. nc, etc. But seriously no one is even going to mention the state where basketball was born!?

The most historic team in the nba, as well as the hall of fame, and the place where Naismith first put a ball in a peach basket. It not having been mentioned to this point is ridiculous..

Will 2 BE
07-26-2011, 09:29 PM
I can understand arguments for indiana.. nc, etc. But seriously no one is even going to mention the state where basketball was born!?

The most historic team in the nba, as well as the hall of fame, and the place where Naismith first put a ball in a peach basket. It not having been mentioned to this point is ridiculous..

Sure it was invented in Mass, but it was perfected in the streets of NY, Chicago, and even LA (ive played out in Venice Beach kids got game out their) thats why those areas continue to produce quality players.

iFYouSeekAmy
07-26-2011, 11:51 PM
California.

Does anyone know which CITY produced the most basketball stars? My first thought is Oakland, CA. Jason Kidd, Gary Payton, Brian Shaw, Antonio Davis, and the greatest that never was Demetrius 'Hook' Mitchell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEwnZ-Yxw4U

Storch
07-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Players, NY.

Basketball teams LA.

College NC.

That was easy.