PDA

View Full Version : Does Portland have the potential to be a championship contender this upcoming season?

Bring The Heat
07-25-2011, 10:50 PM
You got Lamarcus Aldridge who should've been an allstar this past year who put up great numbers and is only going to get better... Brandon Roy who when healthy is a beast... and of course Gerald Wallace who is an all star caliber player who rebounds, plays solid defense and can score the ball... A pretty solid "big 3" there and some nice role players and decent bench... Took Dallas to 6 games in the first round... I can see this team making a jump and being a contender in the West... what do you guys think?

ManningToTyree
07-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Roy will never be the same. If Oden can live up to the hype then they should be a force in the west. However, that is an enormous if

Cal827
07-25-2011, 11:01 PM
It's a damn shame that Oden's injuries are persistent and rather than just being a freak injury to his knees (E.g. Amare Stoudemire), it's a chronic problem for Roy... If they are both healthy throughout the year, then this is easily a top 4 team in the West (Pushing on LA's door)... Unfortunately, they'll likely fall to the bottom 3 playoff spots b/c they'll probably lose at least one of them for an extended period of time.

Hellcrooner
07-25-2011, 11:06 PM
the answer to your question is

KNEES.

tmacsc2
07-25-2011, 11:09 PM
I say if they can somehow sign nene they could def be a contender

RevisIsland
07-25-2011, 11:09 PM
If Oden and Roy are both 100% healthy I'll say yes, but that's not gonna happen so I'll say no.

tredigs
07-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Same response I've had as the prior two seasons. If Oden is healthy? Yes, with some luck they'd be in the mix. Simply for the reason that him and L.A. would be an incredible duo.

I want nothing more to see that team (healthy) battle OKC in the West. I think that has the potential to be such an epic rivalry. But unfortunately, we learn never to get our hopes up with Portland.

MTar786
07-25-2011, 11:19 PM
portland has a 1.2% chance of winning a championship next season in my eyes.

felton, wallace and aldridge aint gonna cut it.

oden and roy dont mean anything with no knees

1DROSE1
07-25-2011, 11:41 PM
No chance LA and Dallas are way to stacked to beat. You got the Spurs who have much experience. OKC in my opinion will be a darkhorse nest year and may cause some jaws to drop and Memphis is underated. So NO.

Evolution23
07-25-2011, 11:42 PM
No but they wil be a very good team that can beat anyone on any given night, just not in a 7 game series. They have way too many injured players that will never be the same.

knightstemplar
07-25-2011, 11:45 PM
If Roy and Oden are healthy, Yes

Sadds The Gr8
07-25-2011, 11:48 PM
no, because Oden and Roy will never be healthy.

iggypop123
07-26-2011, 01:38 AM
cant be a contender if there isnt a season

Ovratd1up
07-26-2011, 01:48 AM
Felton
Roy
Crash
LA
Oden

would be ridiculous if healthy. They'd still have Wes, Batum, and Camby off the bench too. Contender for sure.

Unfortunately, they'll settle closer to

Felton
Wes
Crash
LA
Camby

Batum an unhealthy Roy and hopefully Oden off the bench... obviously nod bad and should be in the middle of the playoff mix, but I don't think they can realistically contend for a ring with so much weight on four knees.

naps
07-26-2011, 02:08 AM
A healthy Roy and Oden with Felton, Wallace, and Aldridge? That looks to me the scariest starting 5 in the league. That would the force in west and battle OKC for years to come. But there's no way both Roy and Oden are healthy at the same time. After all, we are talking about the Blazers, right?

1DROSE1
07-26-2011, 04:31 AM
Hold up werent there rumors of the Blazers asking Roy to retire????

dodie53
07-26-2011, 06:36 PM
knees.

JordansBulls
07-27-2011, 12:46 PM
They need Roy and Oden to be healthy.

albertc86
07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
No. Roy's knee is in question and we all know the story with Oden.

marj987
07-27-2011, 12:50 PM
If Roy would just stay off his knees and tell McMillan he don't feel like sucking it tonight then yeah, but I don't see why people are writing Roy off.....He CAN get healthy.

Avenged
07-28-2011, 01:53 AM
A healthy Roy and Oden pairing with Aldridge? More of a dream to Portland. It's a shame, this team would have been competing for a championship already if it weren't for injuries.

Chacarron
07-28-2011, 02:00 AM
I think if Oden can be healthy, that's more than enough. Welsey Matthews is a nice young SG who can defend and shoot from outside. Greg Oden is a game changer on defense and if healthy can be the anchor of a championship squad.

jiggin
07-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Hold up werent there rumors of the Blazers asking Roy to retire????

that was a rumor and said to be untrue.

They are waiting for the amnesty clause to be refined in the new CBA. If they can get out of at least some of Roys contract...they will be living large. Hell, Paul Allen wants to spend money on the team...if the blazers can get some extra financial room they will try and complete the lineup...

...PS - don't forget that Elliot Williams will be returning this year after sitting out all last year ( his rookie season ):

Elliot Williams does a number of things exceptionally well, and has the potential to be an efficient scorer if he improves some of his scoring tools.

Ranking right around average in terms of usage at 17.4 possessions per-game and slightly above average at 0.961 PPP overall, Williamsí best asset in comparison to his peers is his ability to use his quickness to get to the line. He was fouled on an impressive 14.2% of his overall shots, leading our sample of prospects by more than 3%.

Despite ranking right around average in terms of half court field goal percentage (42.2%), Williams scores on a higher percentage (45.4%) of his non-fast break possessions than any other player. Clearly, his first step plays a major role in his ability to create contact at the rim. His role for Memphis certainly helped as well.

Although he spent nearly twice as many of his possessions playing off the ball in spot up situations than Evan Turner (17.2% vs. 9.5%), Williams got some 43% of his offense operating one-on-one or working off a pick. A capable jump shooter when left open (42.9%), but limited when defended (27.3%), the Duke transfer has the resume of a guard capable of sliding over to handle the ball next to a shooting point guard or remaining off the ball and slashing to the rim.

Williams only shot 1.9 pull up jumpers per-game last season, preferring to drive all the way to the rim where he shot an average 51.3%. Given his lack of physical strength, Williams will need to continue to hone his shooting ability in the mid-range area to become a more complete offensive threat at the shooting guard position.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Elliot-Williams-5153/#ixzz1TPTv1Bz2

He averaged around 17 PPG in his 2 years of college. Blazers need a guy who can play the pick and roll, is quick, will drive the lane and draw fouls.

king james
07-28-2011, 10:53 AM
nope not a chance. if they had the BRI (Before Roy Injury) Roy there I would give them a 30% chance of winning the West. But right now I give them about 5%.

mightybosstone
07-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Last offseasn, I thought they were the second or third best team in the West. For the last three or four seasons, it seems like they have a ton of talent, but they can't put it together.

The best way I can describe Portland is an "on paper" franchise. On paper, they have Aldridge, Wallace, Roy, Batum, Matthews, Camby, Oden and now Felton, just an unbelievably talented group of (mostly) young players. But Roy and Oden's injuries are not going away anytime soon, and I'd be a little surprised if Roy was a Blazer for much longer.

I will say this much... A full season of Gerald Wallace starting and a healthy Greg Oden for 60-70 games would certainly get them a top 4 seed in the playoffs. But that is a BIG if on Oden's part.

Brooklyn Mets
07-28-2011, 11:25 AM
If Oden and Roy are both 100% healthy I'll say yes, but that's not gonna happen so I'll say no.

x2

Oden up to his potential
LA
Gerald Wallace
Roy up to his potential
Felton

w Nolan Smith, Camby, Matthews, etc. coming off the bench

thats a sick team but without Roy and Oden playing their best ball they are a middle of the pack team out West