PDA

View Full Version : Trade or Not?

SkyDOME4Eva
07-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Do you think the Blue Jays will make a trade for a closer or any other position by the trade deadline? I would love to believe that we would make the team better in some way and even with the rumors I have heard about. I still don't really see us making any trades. What trades would you like to see be made? if any at all

ByShine
07-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Basically, any solid starting pitcher would be good, but I don't know what the jays have got to offer.

Jay
07-25-2011, 10:00 PM
An under-the-radar type deal could be made, like trading for a Kevin Slowey.

leafswin2011
07-25-2011, 11:32 PM
i would be extremely happy if we got a closer in a trade and got reyes as a free agent.i think that would put us up there with the yanks and red sox for next year...how many games has our bullpen blown,absolutly ridiculous.

ShortsideShot14
07-26-2011, 12:15 AM
if we had a legit closer we'd be right with the yanks and sox this season....

ghost dog
07-26-2011, 12:25 AM
17 blown saves 2nd worst in the AL.So yeah get a closer

JoeyBats
07-26-2011, 01:53 AM
I think if we want a closer that will have to come in free agency. I'll be SHOCKED if they make a "big" trade for anyone what so ever. Maybe they'll trade away some of their bullpen? But that still may not happen because we could get draft picks for them next season. Other than that I don't see us doing much, if anything, until free agency.

broncosfan_101
07-26-2011, 02:07 AM

Cut that number in half-ish and we're within a game or so of the wildcard (depending on how many of those blown saves still turned into wins for us). That's sad to think about, although it could also be seen as a positive. We're a good bullpen away from being a really solid team. Plus, we're young. Double plus, we've got a great farm system. Triple plus, we've got a GM that knows what he's doing. The bullpen AA put together was supposed to be a strength on paper. Frasor, Rauch, Camp, Janssen, Rzepczynski and Francisco should've been a really good pen based on track record. Make some tweaks there, bring up Lawrie, solidify the rotation (possibly in house with Drabek or Stewart), and we could see a big leap next year.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant, but I guess I'm saying, no need to do anything drastic. Continue to look for value, just don't force anything. We're getting there.

Farsight
07-26-2011, 02:31 AM
The jays are sellers. However, they will most likely try to trade, or packaging bullpen arms for prospects or position players. Other than that, i really dont see the jays making big moves.

Also, we must remember that a bullpen is the easiest need for a team to fill. It is really hard to predict how your bullpen will perform. It is like throwing a dart at a dartboard, blindfolded

Jay
07-26-2011, 04:13 AM
The jays are sellers. However, they will most likely try to trade, or packaging bullpen arms for prospects or position players. Other than that, i really dont see the jays making big moves.

Also, we must remember that a bullpen is the easiest need for a team to fill. It is really hard to predict how your bullpen will perform. It is like throwing a dart at a dartboard, blindfolded

Yep. Your bullpen is the one part of your team whose performance fluctuates significantly from year to year. The Tampa Bay Rays are the perfect example here. They went from having a mediocre bullpen, to one of the top two to three very best during their run at a title, back to mediocre again this season.

statquo
07-26-2011, 05:23 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if AA swings a deal for a legit 2nd base prospect. We have to start planning the future without Hill.

Nica
07-26-2011, 09:13 AM

I'm of the opinion that the Jays make a play for FA's in the off season. They are not contenders this year and it makes little sense to band-aid some thing so late in the season. I would love to see them grab Papelbon- he's elite and it would weaken a rival. That way they only spend money ( which apparently they are willing to spend 140-150 million ). Theres no sense giving away all the prospects and picks the Jays have stock-piled when the FA pool may very well address some concerns.
The Jays can then spend some of their assets on SP's and perhaps someone like Reyes. l would love to see Micheal Borne come here to hold the fort for Gose but Reyes is such a game changer in so many different ways.

KaiserSose
07-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Sell relievers/closers at the deadline and sign them in the off-season. Trading for a closer is a luke-warm idea if you are a contender and is not a good idea when you have no chance at making the play-offs!