PDA

View Full Version : What if Carmelo Anthony went number 2

Clutch1
07-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Its the 2003 draft, and the pistons are on the clock. Instead taking Darko (which turns out to be the worst pick in draft history) they take carmelo.

Lets assume the pistons win the 04 ship. and in 05 melo becomes the starter
How many championships would that team have won

Note-Melo still becomes the great scorer, detroits defense is still terrific

Sportfan
07-25-2011, 05:05 PM
billups+Melo reunion ftw

TO Rapz
07-25-2011, 05:13 PM
What ifs dont work with me. Theres too many scenarios that can happen. The Pistons could have collapsed if Carmelo didnt fit their philosophy of sharing the ball, and playing team ball while playing stellar on the D. Motor City was all about sharing the rock with balanced scoring, whereas Carmelo would have to be the man there.

The other what if would be, Carmelo could ve developed into a much different player because of how Detroit would of trained him, but like I said, there are too many things to consider. It definetly would have been interesting to say the least. Good thread idea.

Hellcrooner
07-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Larry brown who HATES rookies and does not award them time at all spoils him because Pricne is a YOUNG stud that has arleady have a monster finals and a ring.
Melo loses his confidence , starts creating trouble, gets the Bust label and the conflictive label, when he is traded to a new team the bust label and conflcitive label takes a tall because his new coach is wary of him, fails wich leads to more bust labeling and conflicts.
At the same time Milicic falls to a horrible nuggets team that is in no hurry to win anything so they can spend time developiong him, raising his confidence and building around him , giving him touches and nurturing him, in 3 eyars time he is one of the best players in the league and is rocking 22 and 11 on a nightly basis.

LUCK at Draft day MAKES careers.

GREATNESS ONE
07-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Detroit would still be Relevant.

Cal827
07-25-2011, 05:18 PM
I think Darko was a projected top 3 pick so Denver would have likely picked him up. The rest of the draft would have likely went the same.

Hell, I'm wishing that the Raptors decided to deal Carter to Miami for the 5th pick overall instead of holding on to him, and losing him for basically scrap metal in the following season :facepalm: lol

KaganRS
07-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Too many what if's to know for sure what would have played out.

A) would detroit still have traded for Rasheed Wallace ?
Remember they had Okur in his spot before the trade and he was playing good.

B) Does Carmelo Anthony develop into the same player ?
I think so. Or Larry Brown would have benched him lol.

Like some other people said in here too, ball movement was important. Alot of the sets were run for Richard Hamilton running through about a million screens ..how does Carmelo come into play with his stagnant sets ?

Cowboys4Life619
07-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Then the Pistons wouldn't suck...as much!

JordansBulls
07-25-2011, 05:32 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630618

Saad
07-25-2011, 05:40 PM
What if Darko went 1st?! :O

GoPacers33
07-25-2011, 05:41 PM
He would of wanted to leave there too

Gators123
07-25-2011, 05:47 PM
What ifs dont work with me. Theres too many scenarios that can happen. The Pistons could have collapsed if Carmelo didnt fit their philosophy of sharing the ball, and playing team ball while playing stellar on the D. Motor City was all about sharing the rock with balanced scoring, whereas Carmelo would have to be the man there.

The other what if would be, Carmelo could ve developed into a much different player because of how Detroit would of trained him, but like I said, there are too many things to consider. It definetly would have been interesting to say the least. Good thread idea.

Agree 100%.

Da Knicks
07-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Carmelo would of being developed into the best two way player and the pistons would of had atleast three championships.

murphturph
07-25-2011, 06:01 PM
What if Vince carter stayed with the Raptors?

naps
07-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Carmelo would of being developed into the best two way player and the pistons would of had atleast three championships.

:facepalm: Best two way player? And at least 3 championships?

Khalifa21
07-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Larry brown who HATES rookies and does not award them time at all spoils him because Pricne is a YOUNG stud that has arleady have a monster finals and a ring.
Melo loses his confidence , starts creating trouble, gets the Bust label and the conflictive label, when he is traded to a new team the bust label and conflcitive label takes a tall because his new coach is wary of him, fails wich leads to more bust labeling and conflicts.
At the same time Milicic falls to a horrible nuggets team that is in no hurry to win anything so they can spend time developiong him, raising his confidence and building around him , giving him touches and nurturing him, in 3 eyars time he is one of the best players in the league and is rocking 22 and 11 on a nightly basis.

So luck is the reason why Melo is a top 10 player in the league and Darko is a consistent 6 and 4 guy?

I think it's talent... Melo is one of the, if not THE best scorer in the league. You're telling me that it's luck that he's been able to develop into the player he is today?

I'm sure if Milicic had shown the required skill he would've got a lot more playing time than he has throughout his career and started putting up this 22 and 11 that you've boldly predicted.

Or is it your Euro biased again? Hmmm...

mdm692
07-25-2011, 06:24 PM
What if amare never left the suns, what if diaw and stat disnt get suspended 1 game in the 07 series vs spurs what if kobe didnt airball game 5 which led to artest game winner

NYsFinest
07-25-2011, 06:26 PM
What if amare never left the suns, what if diaw and stat disnt get suspended 1 game in the 07 series vs spurs what if kobe didnt airball game 5 which led to artest game winner

Somebody sounds a bit bitter....

TO Rapz
07-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Like I said man, too many what ifs. It makes for good discussion because the # of possibilities is infinite, but no real solution is reached.

sunnydayin'zona
07-25-2011, 06:55 PM

I'm not him, but I'm bitter about all of the above. And then some. It hurts thinking about what the suns could have been.

GiantsSwaGG
07-25-2011, 06:55 PM
What if Cleveland drafted Carmelo and The Pistons drafted Lebron?

MelkyNYY
07-25-2011, 06:56 PM
What if my **** really didn't stink...

mdm692
07-25-2011, 06:56 PM

hahahaha not at all i was just making a point like the fellow poster above me. Im sure we will get our ring. I just hope im alive to see it. But like posted before too many what ifs you cant change the past just take the hands youre dealt and the decisions your team make

MelkyNYY
07-25-2011, 06:57 PM
What if Lebron had gone to college?

GiantsSwaGG
07-25-2011, 07:07 PM
What if the Spice Girls didn't break up...

Ebbs
07-25-2011, 07:16 PM
I think they would have been hella scary. Granted no one knows but I don't buy the team scoring thing. They would have done that for a few more years but as Chauncey, RIp, Sheed all aged they would have had Melo hitting his prime making up the difference.

Billups
Rip
Melo
SHeed
Big Ben

would have been good for a championship in the first 5 years IMO.

NYKSpiritBomb
07-25-2011, 07:47 PM

clearly wasn't watching college basketball in 2003 :facepalm:

Dash
07-25-2011, 07:52 PM
What if I killed LeBron?

DasBoot
07-25-2011, 08:04 PM
He would of wanted to leave there too

Yep. Ever been to Detroit? To quote the great American series South Park, " 'You went to hell!?' - 'Well yeah where was I going to go... Detroit?' "

Gators123
07-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Yep. Ever been to Detroit? To quote the great American series South Park, " 'You went to hell!?' - 'Well yeah where was I going to go... Detroit?' "

What does that have to do with anything? The Pistons play in Auburn Hills (about 30 minutes away from Detroit). Douche.

avrpatsfan
07-25-2011, 08:23 PM
When I saw the title I lol'd.

KingPosey
07-25-2011, 08:26 PM

I believe with all my heart Darko was this worthless regardless.

Hellcrooner
07-25-2011, 10:35 PM
So luck is the reason why Melo is a top 10 player in the league and Darko is a consistent 6 and 4 guy?

I think it's talent... Melo is one of the, if not THE best scorer in the league. You're telling me that it's luck that he's been able to develop into the player he is today?

I'm sure if Milicic had shown the required skill he would've got a lot more playing time than he has throughout his career and started putting up this 22 and 11 that you've boldly predicted.

Or is it your Euro biased again? Hmmm...

No, im not telling that.

Talent is there of course.

But for a young player fall in the wrong place can be abnightmare, like falling in a team that has an star in your position.

Check Dratzen petrovic, did he have talent? :rolleyes: well he got stuck in portland BEHIND HOF and TOP 60 nba list CLyde drexler.
He was not getting the minutes because of Drexler , not because of a lack of talent.

if he never was traded, he would have gone on playing garbage minutes, being labeled a failure and be back to europe at his contracts end.

Instead he got LUCKY and got traded to the nets, and then Showed what he really was made Of.

Now take pau gasol.
when he arrived in memphis, the Coach envisioned him as a Back up to Stromile swift ( 2nd pick in previous draft) Lorenzen Wright, and Big Country reeves.
Ok, Big Country reeves has to retire because of injury , Lucky incident number 1.
so he is going to get more minutes but he still is going to be a back up in sidenly loves mind.
Ok he starts as a reserve, then Stromile swift starts to choke like crazy the first few games, pau does failry well in the limited minutes.
Stromile swift gets a small ( few days) injury Lucky Incident number 2.
Pau gets to play more, and starts doing god numbers.
Sidnely love goes and thinks, Ok maybe he is a starter but of course our Offensive options are 1 Michael dickerson, 2 Jason williams ( who we just traded bibby for) and 3 Battier who is our real bet for rookie of the year because he is a duke wizzard.
Michael dickerson goes down with career ending Injury , Lucky incident number 3.
Battier is unselfish, and realizes pau is better so he steps aside and decides to pass him the ball.
Jason williams is still thinking he is the boss, but his lack of efectiveness ends up with Coach understanding Pau is the real deal so he gets relegated to second man in attack.

Ok, now figure that Swift didnt bust, Reeves didnt injuyr an retire and dickerson didnt injury and retire.

Pau gets no burn, Pau loses confidence compeltely ( he has weak confidence as this seasons playoffs prove) , he becomes a bust and a scrub and he is back to spain after rookie contract.

Talent means like 50% of your success luck its another 50%.

and thats why draft , and Rfa and the rest of the crap is a TRAVESTY that makes us lose Basketball geniuses because of falling in the wrong situation and not being able to get out.

If players could freely decide where the sign, and teams coudl freely decide who to make an offer to basing on what they need this would not happen.

Hellcrooner
07-25-2011, 10:37 PM
clearly wasn't watching college basketball in 2003 :facepalm:

Clearly wanst watching euroleague in 2003.....

Hellcrooner
07-25-2011, 10:38 PM
btw what i want to know is

What if Lakers drafted DOminique Wilkins instead of james worhty?

mdm692
07-25-2011, 10:43 PM
btw what i want to know is

What if Lakers drafted DOminique Wilkins instead of james worhty?

wilkins on the lake-show woulda been dirty

Hellcrooner
07-25-2011, 10:47 PM
wilkins on the lake-show woulda been dirty

or would have clashed with Magic and kareem bout whos top dog and be a disaster.

Thats why its a big big what if.

Khalifa21
07-25-2011, 10:58 PM
No, im not telling that.

Talent is there of course.

But for a young player fall in the wrong place can be abnightmare, like falling in a team that has an star in your position.

Check Dratzen petrovic, did he have talent? :rolleyes: well he got stuck in portland BEHIND HOF and TOP 60 nba list CLyde drexler.
He was not getting the minutes because of Drexler , not because of a lack of talent.

if he never was traded, he would have gone on playing garbage minutes, being labeled a failure and be back to europe at his contracts end.

Instead he got LUCKY and got traded to the nets, and then Showed what he really was made Of.

Now take pau gasol.
when he arrived in memphis, the Coach envisioned him as a Back up to Stromile swift ( 2nd pick in previous draft) Lorenzen Wright, and Big Country reeves.
Ok, Big Country reeves has to retire because of injury , Lucky incident number 1.
so he is going to get more minutes but he still is going to be a back up in sidenly loves mind.
Ok he starts as a reserve, then Stromile swift starts to choke like crazy the first few games, pau does failry well in the limited minutes.
Stromile swift gets a small ( few days) injury Lucky Incident number 2.
Pau gets to play more, and starts doing god numbers.
Sidnely love goes and thinks, Ok maybe he is a starter but of course our Offensive options are 1 Michael dickerson, 2 Jason williams ( who we just traded bibby for) and 3 Battier who is our real bet for rookie of the year because he is a duke wizzard.
Michael dickerson goes down with career ending Injury , Lucky incident number 3.
Battier is unselfish, and realizes pau is better so he steps aside and decides to pass him the ball.
Jason williams is still thinking he is the boss, but his lack of efectiveness ends up with Coach understanding Pau is the real deal so he gets relegated to second man in attack.

Ok, now figure that Swift didnt bust, Reeves didnt injuyr an retire and dickerson didnt injury and retire.

Pau gets no burn, Pau loses confidence compeltely ( he has weak confidence as this seasons playoffs prove) , he becomes a bust and a scrub and he is back to spain after rookie contract.

Talent means like 50% of your success luck its another 50%.

and thats why draft , and Rfa and the rest of the crap is a TRAVESTY that makes us lose Basketball geniuses because of falling in the wrong situation and not being able to get out.

If players could freely decide where the sign, and teams coudl freely decide who to make an offer to basing on what they need this would not happen.

I see what you're saying but there really isn't much talent with Darko... The guy has had many scenarios where he's had a good deal of playing time and hasn't shown much. In Orlando he got minutes (24 a game) and his numbers where underwhelming (8 points, 5 rebounds a game), in Memphis he got similar minutes and put up 7 and 6 and then in Minnesota, a struggling team offensively, but instead of stepping up he continues with his mediocrity (9 and 6).

Numerous occasions the guy has had the opportunity to showcase his talents and he hasn't... Hence the lack of PT and production, which is all a product of his lack of skill (for someone taken with the #2 pick in one of the greatest drafts ever anyway).

Hellcrooner
07-25-2011, 11:04 PM
I see what you're saying but there really isn't much talent with Darko... The guy has had many scenarios where he's had a good deal of playing time and hasn't shown much. In Orlando he got minutes (24 a game) and his numbers where underwhelming (8 points, 5 rebounds a game), in Memphis he got similar minutes and put up 7 and 6 and then in Minnesota, a struggling team offensively, but instead of stepping up he continues with his mediocrity (9 and 6).

Numerous occasions the guy has had the opportunity to showcase his talents and he hasn't... Hence the lack of PT and production, which is all a product of his lack of skill (for someone taken with the #2 pick in one of the greatest drafts ever anyway).
yeah but the problem here is you are forgeting to factor something.

and it is how much can a young dudes progressin be CUT by the lack of time for 2 and a half seasons at such a young age and ho can it affect it mentally.

todu82
07-26-2011, 01:28 PM
I think Detroit would have become a dynasty. Hindsight is always 20/20 especially when it comes to the draft.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-26-2011, 01:46 PM
yeah but the problem here is you are forgeting to factor something.

and it is how much can a young dudes progressin be CUT by the lack of time for 2 and a half seasons at such a young age and ho can it affect it mentally.

You just finished giving examples of how guys like Petrovick and Gasol had to wait, but still flourished. And now you say this?

What is it, because you going back and forth with what you say. Your "What-If" scenario here is a million times less likely than something as simple as DET drafting someone else at the 2 spot.

Brooklyn Mets
07-26-2011, 01:49 PM
When I saw the title I lol'd.

haha my first thought was "he should wipe"..
my second thought was "another what if thread" :facepalm:

Hellcrooner
07-26-2011, 01:53 PM
You just finished giving examples of how guys like Petrovick and Gasol had to wait, but still flourished. And now you say this?

What is it, because you going back and forth with what you say. Your "What-If" scenario here is a million times less likely than something as simple as DET drafting someone else at the 2 spot.

what im saying is theres a good chance that if melo was number 2 he would ahve had a bust career.
because the enviroment was nto good at all for a rookie.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-26-2011, 02:18 PM
what im saying is theres a good chance that if melo was number 2 he would ahve had a bust career.
because the enviroment was nto good at all for a rookie.

You mean a very slim chance. Melo was the 2nd best player in the best draft in quite a while. He wasn't going to sit on the bench 30+ minutes a game like you probably think.

tbone2171
07-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Well, I'd hope he'd wipe after..

:rimshot:

oops..see i was beat to the punchline :(

Hellcrooner
07-26-2011, 03:23 PM
You mean a very slim chance. Melo was the 2nd best player in the best draft in quite a while. He wasn't going to sit on the bench 30+ minutes a game like you probably think.

two words.

LARRY BROWN

sep11ie
07-26-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm sure Melo goes number 2 as much as anyone else...

JWO35
07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
What if Cleveland drafted Carmelo and The Pistons drafted Lebron?

The King would need an extra third hand to place his rings...

Kashmir13579
07-26-2011, 06:30 PM
There is no guarantee Pistons win that championship. Billups was the only volume shooter they needed and Prince's impact on that team is/was underrated.

JordansBulls
07-27-2011, 12:47 PM

:clap:

THE MTL
07-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Melo would have def developed some defensive intensity. However, Melo might have disrupted ball movement which was the reason why the Pistons won that first championship.

Anyway, imma look at it like this. Take Billups and Melo who led Nuggets to WCF last season and then add an in-prime Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Prince, and Hamiliton.

Pistons made 4 conference finals in a row after that and lost them all. I would like to believe a true scorer like Melo would have changed that.

Astronaut
07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Have if the Cavs had picked Darko?

Oh yeah.. We would still be in the same place we are now.

0 Championships. :drool:

BTW Cleveland in no way was not going to pick LeBron, not just from a player standpoint but it would screw the Cavaliers' image if they didn't pick the hometown kid. Throw that scenario out the window.