PDA

View Full Version : Brett Cecil CG Shutout!

Mike933
07-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Way to go Brett! It's great to see a guy that's worked so hard pitch such an awesome game. :clap:

DwayneMVPwade
07-24-2011, 10:47 PM
great start for Cecil. Might of been his greatest start ever so far in his career. He shut out a super hot Rangers team. Gotta give him props

aman_13
07-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Congratz to Brett, i missed the game. How was his fastball? Btw if it wasn't for yesterday's blown save, we take 2 out of 3. We just own Texas for some reason even though they won this series lol.

North Yorker
07-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Congratz to Brett, i missed the game. How was his fastball?

89-90 for the first eight innings, then in the 9th in was pumping it 92-94 consistently.

Jay
07-24-2011, 11:12 PM
89-90 for the first eight innings, then in the 9th in was pumping it 92-94 consistently.

I don't mind seeing him occasionally get up to the 92-94 range in velocity, but I have to admit that he's great working down at 89-90 when his control is on point like tonight. It hasn't been that way for a while, so it made some of us wonder whether the loss of velocity was the center issue, when it really wasn't.

aman_13
07-24-2011, 11:16 PM

No complaints here. Brett last year was hitting his spots and using the change up effectively which made his fastball even better. If he can keep the ball down and hit his spots, then that is all you can ask for. Although i won't be suprised if his fastball goes up to where it was before next season. It took Brandon League another off-season to figure it out when his velocity was down if i'm not mistaken.

BlueJayFanDan
07-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Cecil is the man. Hope he keeps this up next start.

DwayneMVPwade
07-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Congratz to Brett, i missed the game. How was his fastball? Btw if it wasn't for yesterday's blown save, we take 2 out of 3. We just own Texas for some reason even though they won this series lol.

we would of won the series if it wasnt for our horrible pen

Jay
07-24-2011, 11:35 PM
we would of won the series if it wasnt for our horrible pen

That'll be fixed by next season (...I hope).

AA is a smart man.

Bombtista
07-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Hopefully this is the start of putting all his critics to rest.

He will never be a power pitcher but if he can locate like he did tonight i like what hes doing. Especially against Texas who hasnt been very kind to him. He even said pregame how Texas to him is like what Boston is to Romero so good for him to break that trend

Rugger
07-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Hopefully this is the start of putting all his critics to rest.

He will never be a power pitcher but if he can locate like he did tonight i like what hes doing. Especially against Texas who hasnt been very kind to him. He even said pregame how Texas to him is like what Boston is to Romero so good for him to break that trend

That was a real fun outing to watch on TV, he seemed to be placing his breaking ball how most starters place their fastball.

Mike933
07-25-2011, 01:11 AM
That was a real fun outing to watch on TV, he seemed to be placing his breaking ball how most starters place their fastball.

He had some really dangerous looking pitches tonight, and by dangerous I mean awesome. :D

2009mvp
07-25-2011, 01:33 AM
I'll leave it to someone smarter than me to dig further into this, but I just didn't see what was all that impressive about Cecil's location tonight.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/location.php?pitchSel=446399&game=gid_2011_07_24_tormlb_texmlb_1/&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=

That's a lot of outs on pitches in the heart of the strikezone, and as much as Buck and Tabler kept hammering home the "keep the ball down" point, that didn't really seem to be the case tonight (the sinkers and changeups up around and above the belt are asking for trouble). Very puzzling, but I'm certainly not complaining if those are the kinds of results we're gonna get going forward.

nithanyo
07-25-2011, 01:44 AM
I'll leave it to someone smarter than me to dig further into this, but I just didn't see what was all that impressive about Cecil's location tonight.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/location.php?pitchSel=446399&game=gid_2011_07_24_tormlb_texmlb_1/&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=

That's a lot of outs on pitches in the heart of the strikezone, and as much as Buck and Tabler kept hammering home the "keep the ball down" point, that didn't really seem to be the case tonight (the sinkers and changeups up around and above the belt are asking for trouble). Very puzzling, but I'm certainly not complaining if those are the kinds of results we're gonna get going forward.

Ya it seemed like a lot of pitches where up but the rangers missed on a lot of them. His velocity was up a bit though.

He's facing them again on sunday. if he can keep the rangers off the board, than i will admit it wasn't a fluke

es0terik
07-25-2011, 09:41 AM

Yep. This is my post in the game thread:

I also think the fact that he was pitching so consistently in the high 80s and low 90s is what threw the Rangers off. They're streaking right now, which means they've gotten into a groove. When you get into a groove, you get used to one tempo. Most pitchers throw faster than Cecil was today, so I can kind of guess that his not-so-fast fastball had something to do with it. Almost like a whole game of off-speed pitches. Hopefully the speed in the ninth inning means he's got the fuel to throw harder, because if he keeps doing what he did today, he may get a few wins, but like all rookies or new guys get, he'll get figured out.

I think that that's basically it. A lot of pitches down the middle that Cecil got lucky with, and I think the biggest factor was that they were constantly slower pitches. A whole game of off-speed, and I think it threw the Rangers off a bit. He better change it up a bit, because you don't give the Texas Rangers a second chance and he better believe they'll be ready for him come Sunday.

Macedonian
07-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Brett Cecil

July's stats:
4 G ; 30 IP ; 2.40 ERA ; 1.13 WHIP ; 8 BB ; 21 K

Very impresive...
He's a legit 3rd Jays' pitcher now...
And just one more piece should be found for a decent rotation!
1. Ricky Romero
2. Brandon Morrow
3. Brett Cecil
5. Carlos Villanueva

Krylian
07-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Drabek will be the guy.

......Unless everyone has already forgotten about and given up on him.

North Yorker
07-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Drabek will be the guy.

......Unless everyone has already forgotten about and given up on him.

Yea he certainly has the stuff. If he had gets any sort of command then there's no reason why he cant be like Ogando. Just pump 95+mph fastballs and then drop the curve on them.

CV will probably be shut down when he reaches his inning limit so McGowan should be ready by then so he is also in the mix.

Cecil,Litsch,Drabek,McGowan will compete for the #3 and #4 SP roles for next year.

Bombtista
07-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Drabek pitched a decent game last night in AAA too. He gave up 4 runs in 6 innings and only one of those was actually earned. Lawrie made up for a few of those unearned runs by an error at third.

He only had 3 walks and 6 K's which is most impressive

T.O. Fan
07-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Brett Cecil

July's stats:

Very impresive...
1. Ricky Romero
2. Brandon Morrow
3. Brett Cecil
5. Carlos Villanueva

Hmmmm, I didn't know that his stats were that good since coming back (not including the Pirates start).

Hopefully he is the Cecil of 2010 from here on out.

Big Hurt
07-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Brett Cecil

July's stats:

Very impresive...
1. Ricky Romero
2. Brandon Morrow
3. Brett Cecil
5. Carlos Villanueva

I think Cecil translates to a 4-5.
His velocity is not consistenly there for him. Now if he continues to pitch to a 3ish ERA I will stand corrected but I do not see it.
The team needs to find a legit #3 starter

nstojic
07-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't mind seeing him occasionally get up to the 92-94 range in velocity, but I have to admit that he's great working down at 89-90 when his control is on point like tonight. It hasn't been that way for a while, so it made some of us wonder whether the loss of velocity was the center issue, when it really wasn't.

this... as he got up in velocity, I didn't like how his ball was finishing up in the zone.. could have just been fatigue but his thing is control.. he's not unlike ricky romero...

nstojic
07-25-2011, 01:05 PM
He only had 3 walks and 6 K's which is most impressive

but really, how impressive is 'only 3 walks' hahahha ?!?

Bombtista
07-25-2011, 01:08 PM
but really, how impressive is 'only 3 walks' hahahha ?!?

Better then like 7 like he was doing up here and a 2:1 K to walk ratio is definitively an improvement for a guy who got sent down because he couldn't find the zone

But yes its still not an overly impressive stat :P

nithanyo
07-25-2011, 03:12 PM
His velocity is not consistenly there for him. Now if he continues to pitch to a 3ish ERA I will stand corrected but I do not see it.

the team needs to find a legit #1 starter and move everyone else down a spot.

Mitchell133
07-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Hmmmm, I didn't know that his stats were that good since coming back (not including the Pirates start).

Hopefully he is the Cecil of 2010 from here on out.

Is it just me though or was the Cecil of 2010 still kinda sketchy?

Jay
07-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Is it just me though or was the Cecil of 2010 still kinda sketchy?

Statistically he had an overall good season. But the ups and downs were there then for sure. It's kinda been who he is.

Nick O
07-25-2011, 05:07 PM
im not jumping on his bandwagon yet but it was a very impressive start.... hope to see more good games...

Macedonian
07-25-2011, 05:38 PM
the team needs to find a legit #1 starter and move everyone else down a spot.
This is the best scenario, but it costs the most!

TO Rapz
07-25-2011, 05:50 PM

I second this. I believe Cecil can be a great 4th pitcher for a world series team and thats eventually where we want to get to.

I think Ricky can be an OKAY ace, but I still feel hes a 2. If we wana be legit contenders who want to be a dynasty, i see this. 1) ? 2) Ricky Romero 3) Brandon Morrow 4) Brett Cecil/Kyle Drabek 5) Brett Cecil/Kyle Drabek.

TO Rapz
07-25-2011, 05:50 PM
im not jumping on his bandwagon yet but it was a very impressive start.... hope to see more good games...

I agree with this also. Its just one outing, lets see how he fares the rest of the year.

Luca68
07-25-2011, 06:54 PM
iits his second complete game this year

3Blueforyou
07-25-2011, 07:20 PM

He had them sufficienly off balance, changed speeds well and had good movement. He worked away to the right handed hitters inducing some soft gb's on weak swings and jammed their big lefty hitters. He was hit hard at times with a few good plays on the defence. He is a pitcher, a lot has to go right for him to be good. Little things can mess him up, release point, angle spin how hard he throws.

nstojic
07-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Better then like 7 like he was doing up here and a 2:1 K to walk ratio is definitively an improvement for a guy who got sent down because he couldn't find the zone

But yes its still not an overly impressive stat :P

i see what you're saying... imo, since he's not a K guy, he's going to have many guys scoring, even when he's getting outs on balls in play.. just too many base-runners..

H-MYK
07-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Awesome stuff, Cecil. Keep it up. :clap:

bartron_44
07-27-2011, 09:44 AM
What I was most impressed about was that he was hitting 93mph in the 9th inning!..and did it several times. If this slight change to his delivery gets back those missing 2-3 mph that he was still missing from last year, then that is the biggest thing that sticks out to me from this CG.

The real question will be can he repeat that same delivery next game and maintain that velocity. A lefty that throws 92-93 mph is a whole lot different then a lefty throwing 88-89mph. That added velocity on his fastball makes his off speed pitches that much more effective. I like it when changes to delivery make the difference, and not just a pitcher having his "good stuff" that night. If that change brings back the old Cecil, that just jam packs our rotation for next year even more :)