07-24-2011, 08:28 AM
final score

98-nba
89-gilas

just lose by 9pts :D

showtime24
07-24-2011, 08:51 AM
SMART-Gilas gives Kobe and co. a good workout

Compared to the PBA selection, the SMART-Gilas Pilipinas national team was expected to be more competitive against Kobe Bryant and his band of basketball superstars. That proved to be true, although the Philippine team still fell short against the SMART All-Stars, 98-89.

The nationals started off very gamely, with forward Japeth Aguilar finishing with a thunderous jam early in the 1st quarter. They would stick close for most of the period, before the NBA players closed off the first quarter with a 6-0 run to break the game wide open, 28-16.

The SMART All-Stars would lead by as much 21 points in the game, as they were able to get into transition often in the 3rd quarter. However, their chase for the highlight plays that the fans asked for proved to be the cause for a small collapse, allowing SMART-Gilas to get as close as eight points, 92-84, with 2:30 to go in the game.

Despite SMART-Gilas coach Rajko Toroman’s assertions that they wanted to win, he waved the proverbial white flag soon after that as he pulled Marcus Douthit from the game in favor of rarely-used Jason Ballesteros in the closing minutes. The naturalized center had energized the team in the fourth quarter with several big plays, including a huge putback dunk off of a missed Marcio Lassiter three-pointer.

The game was considerably chippier than the SMART All-Stars matchup with the PBA selection on Saturday night, with SMART-Gilas committing several hard fouls on their American guests.

NBA scoring champion Kevin Durant, in particular, was introduced to the hard hits of veteran Asi Taulava and looked visibly frustrated for the first time in the two games. Dondon Hontiveros also played Bryant physically in the fourth quarter, although the SMART All-Stars playing coach seemed to take it in stride, flashing a good-natured smile afterwards.

But the game was not without its lighter moments, as the NBA stars obviously wanted to please the crowd. Egged on by the enthusiastic crowd after the ball was stuck between the backboard and the shot clock, JaVale McGee attempted to tip it off himself instead of waiting for the arena staff to poke it off with a stick.

As awestruck as the Filipino fans were of their NBA idols, they went completely bonkers when pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao made his entrance early in the fourth quarter. He would visit the NBA stars during a timeout and spent time conversing with Bryant and the rest of the team before play resumed.

When asked how many rounds he could go with Pacquiao, Paul answered, “15 seconds?”

The crowd was only too happy to respond, raining down cheers of “C-P-3! C-P-3!” for the New Orleans guard. Chicago Bulls superstar Derrick Rose received similar treatment as the crowd chanted “M-V-P! M-V-P!” as he took a pair of free throws in the fourth quarter, but he disappointed his fans by missing both shots. But the loudest cheers — at least for basketball players — were reserved for Bryant himself, as the crowd pleaded for him to put himself back into the game.

The oddest chant, though, occurred with four minutes to go in the game and the All-Stars leading 90-80. Perhaps praying for a miracle upset, the crowd erupted into familiar chants of “defense” as they cheered the effort of the hard-charging home team.

There were also a lot of dunks, on both sides. Douthit, Aguilar and Kelly Williams all showed off their athleticism for SMART-Gilas as did Tyreke Evans, James Harden and the rest of the SMART-All-Stars.

McGee, who scored 25 points against the undersized PBA selection the night before, was held to just 16, including just three in the first half as he was defended by the 6-11 Douthit. Bryant and Durant combined to score 21 points in the first half, when they pulled away from their local counterparts.

Jayvee Casio scored 16 points for SMART-Gilas, Douthit scored 14 points and Chris Lutz added 12. Hontiveros hit three shots from beyond the arc and finished with 11 of his own. He would later have the privilege of receiving Bryant’s jersey as he made an exchange with the NBA superstar.

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/smart-gilas-gives-kobe-and-co-a-good-workout

AsiandudePH
07-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Man, it was so much fun watching it live! Also if you were able to watch yesterday's game, you'll see that the intensity in today's game was very much different (NBA againts PBA selection yesterday, PH national team today). Hopefully this would happen again in the future. It puts the Philippines in the basketball world map.

showtime24
07-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Man, it was so much fun watching it live! Also if you were able to watch yesterday's game, you'll see that the intensity in today's game was very much different (NBA againts PBA selection yesterday, PH national team today). Hopefully this would happen again in the future. It puts the Philippines in the basketball world map.

yeah man! been busy lately thats why i wasn't able to buy a ticket but damn! i should have watch the game. Love the way the gilas play i really like our chances in the coming fiba asia championship on september (fingers crossed).

AsiandudePH
07-24-2011, 09:38 AM
yeah man! been busy lately thats why i wasn't able to buy a ticket but damn! i should have watch the game. Love the way the gilas play i really like our chances in the coming fiba asia championship on september (fingers crossed).

Sayang! But definitely bro, with the type of competition the NBA selection gave Gilas and the way Gilas responded, one would really expect a good campaign from them in FIBA Asia. Let's hope for the best!

lakers4sho
07-24-2011, 11:13 AM
replay anyone?

showtime24
07-24-2011, 11:53 AM
replay anyone?

try this man

http://philippinesgoforgold.blogspot.com/2011/07/video-nba-all-star-vs-smart-gilas-match.html

kobe thoughts on gilas team:

“You have a talented team. You just have to support this team, they execute well,” said Bryant in a news interview after the game match.

lakers4sho
07-24-2011, 11:57 AM
I've always said that the what the Philippine team of recent past has lacked is decent coaching. I think our talent is up there, top 5 at least [ in Asia ]. We just couldn't execute well in the past.

If only Ron Jacobs was still well :(

showtime24
07-24-2011, 12:22 PM
we are the the best basketball team in the world during the 50's. we just stop competing since then. Hope we regain it again with the proper training/program and a good coach.

Yeah I remember Ron Jacobs was assigned to be the next coach of phi team but unfortunately suffer a heart attack. I think Rajo Toroman is a decent coach too.

dnewguy
07-24-2011, 01:42 PM
B List stars representing.

tredigs
07-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Dub

tredigs
07-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Durant to Harden off the backboard in the prior game. Pretty dope.

Kevin Durant to James Harden in Manila (2011)

Not that you ever earn a response, but Kobe, Durant, etc. That's damn near half your All-NBA 1st team right there.

D_Rose1118
07-24-2011, 02:00 PM

yeah man for sure
kobe rose paul durant all suck

AsiandudePH
07-24-2011, 07:23 PM

LOL this team of "B List Stars" could defeat your Heat any time, any day.

lorenz00
07-24-2011, 11:50 PM

team b LOL team b will be more like Dwade LBJ and fcknig BOSH

Cp3 , Drose, KB24, KD35 can beat anyone at any time LOL

lorenz00
07-24-2011, 11:51 PM
btw respect to filipinoss! mad props to em

AsiandudePH
07-25-2011, 12:24 AM

Salamat, thank you. Even if it was an exhibition game I thought the NBA guys really played seriously most of the time as they had their game faces on, complained to the refs, pushed and hustled during the game.

I always felt that the Philippine national team would lose by at least 15 or 20 which would have already satisfied me since these are legit NBA players/superstars, but to bring it down to single digit (9), it was more than I bargained for.

Great game indeed! Hopefully they would be able to come play again here soon.

JJ_JKidd
07-25-2011, 03:37 AM

F off SON! Go and cry with Bosh instead.

John Walls Era
07-25-2011, 03:58 AM
:worthy: DNewGuy! All of you are just dancing on the palm of his hand.

Jemikz9Clutch
07-25-2011, 04:06 AM

maraming salamat!

Jemikz9Clutch
07-25-2011, 04:08 AM
dnewguy is annoying as hell. go lick lebron's nuts you eff!

koLohe2133
07-25-2011, 04:48 AM

Still mad bro?

AsiandudePH
07-25-2011, 04:52 AM
Still mad bro?

Apparently he is -- and in all threads concerning this (even in the Lakers forum). He's really doing a great job making Heat fans look bad.

Raph12
07-25-2011, 05:14 AM

Not that you ever earn a response, but Kobe, Durant, etc. That's damn near half your All-NBA 1st team right there.

Agreed and with CP3, Rose, Kobe & Durant, that's already 40% of the top 10 players in the league right there... Sure I'd love to see Dwight, Wade, Lebron and others come out as well, but those 4 guys are in no way "B List stars"

Raph12
07-25-2011, 05:21 AM
Cp3 , Drose, KB24, KD35 can beat anyone at any time LOL

Let's not go overboard now, pretty sure this team would beat them:

PG - Lebron
SG - Wade
SF - Melo
PF - Pau
C - Dwight

sharqstealth
07-25-2011, 05:34 AM

Oh yeah B list stars??? How could Kobe a 5 time champ, Rose reigning MVP, Durant 2 time scoring champ, and CP3 make up a B list???

Whats A list for you? Lebron Wade and Bosh who all choked in the Finals? Lol to this dude.

I saw the exhibition game. Wow Javale Mcgee was really amazing! This guy is going to breakout next season if there is one.

Crackadalic
07-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Im half Filipino but I feel so proud watching them play so hard against the best of the best in the world. Im gonna start watching more games from there if I can

AsiandudePH
07-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Im half Filipino but I feel so proud watching them play so hard against the best of the best in the world. Im gonna start watching more games from there if I can

Pinoy Pride, brother! :clap:

Everyone counted on the national team being trampled by at least 30 points, some by 50, but not only did they made the NBA stars sweat, they narrowed the lead down to single digit which is something nobody expected.

I really hope the PI would get more exposure in the basketball world. I sincerely thank the organizer, MVP Foundation and of course the NBA players/superstars who went here as the microscope really zoned in on the PI because of this event.

mynameismo
07-26-2011, 01:29 AM

Everyone counted on the national team being trampled by at least 30 points, some by 50, but not only did they made the NBA stars sweat, they narrowed the lead down to single digit which is something nobody expected.

I really hope the PI would get more exposure in the basketball world. I sincerely thank the organizer, MVP Foundation and of course the NBA players/superstars who went here as the microscope really zoned in on the PI because of this event.

Lakers fan? :cheers: #PinoyPride

AsiandudePH
07-26-2011, 02:02 AM
Lakers fan? :cheers: #PinoyPride

Yeah, since Jordan's second retirement (as a Bulls of course). But Pinoy first of course (rooting for 'em even if we stunk for the past few years in the international basketball circuit lol).

Cheers, bro. #PinoyPride indeed.:clap:

dodie53
07-26-2011, 04:02 AM
i hope God bless us with more height

showtime24
07-26-2011, 04:07 AM

and the crowd was chanting defense in the 4th quarter :)

AsiandudePH
07-26-2011, 05:50 AM
and the crowd was chanting defense in the 4th quarter :)

Oh, yeah I forgot to mention that! Damn, I recall the echoing chants of defense now. What a great day that is for Filipino basketball fans.

synister281
07-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Fantastic news for the Filipino nationals! The Philippines is a great place and their basketball fans deserved this...

Too bad this wasn't shown over here in the U.S., hopefully they will replay it on one of the 29849824982 ESPN channels, but they'll probably show Yankees or RedSox highlights all night instead of something epic like this.

bearadonisdna
07-28-2011, 03:43 PM
It was actually more than half of the NBAs first team, with rose, durant and Kobe.