PDA

View Full Version : Best Rebounding Guard Ever

RevisIsland
07-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Who is the best rebounding guard ever? I honestly don't know. I can't think of any great ones. Though now it might be Landry Fields :). In all seriousness, I have no clue who it is all time. Who is it?

beasted86
07-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Hint: O

Sadds The Gr8
07-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Kidd
Big O

ManRam
07-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Gotta be Oscar.

Bruno
07-23-2011, 10:22 PM
I know Baylor was listed as a SF but he was only 6'5. Career rebounding average of 13.5 per game:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bayloel01.html

Bruno
07-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Dr.J also had great rebounding numbers during his ABA days. ABA/NBA cumulative average of 8.5.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/ervinju01.html

Bruno
07-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Magic averaged 7.24 per game for his career.

LakersMaster24
07-23-2011, 10:28 PM
When I think of a good rebounding PG, Kidd or Oscar come to my mind...

tredigs
07-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Kidd's the smartest rebounding guard I've personally seen on tape or in person - as far as using his body and playing the angles - so I'll give him my vote.

bagwell368
07-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Dr.J also had great rebounding numbers during his ABA days. ABA/NBA cumulative average of 8.5.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/ervinju01.html

Gimme a break, Dr. J and Baylor were both 3's.... and if you think Baylor would get as many boards today if he was a guard, forget it. The pace of the game is slower, the FG% higher, players taller and more athletic then what he saw back then. He finished top 5 a few times as I recall. But he was a THREE! Now he played guard a few times, but seldom.

tredigs
07-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Gimme a break, Dr. J and Baylor were both 3's.... and if you think Baylor would get as many boards today if he was a guard, forget it. The pace of the game is slower, the FG% higher, players taller and more athletic then what he saw back then. He finished top 5 a few times as I recall. But he was a THREE! Now he played guard a few times, but seldom.

eye test wise, who's your pick -

I ask because you've seen virtually all of them (whether or not you paid close enough attention to everyone is another matter, but I respect the opinion).

Shareeb_omac2
07-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Kidd

Hellcrooner
07-23-2011, 11:06 PM
magic Johnson or oscar robertson.

LTBaByyy
07-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Kidd

asandhu23
07-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Jason Kidd or Oscar Robertson. no one else comes close.

im ur fatha
07-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Kidd

lakers4sho
07-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Magic.

CB29
07-23-2011, 11:41 PM
my created player in 2k11... in real life kidd.

Ebbs
07-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Did you seriously say Landry Fields?

tredigs
07-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Did you seriously say Landry Fields?

Obviously ridiculous given career lines, pace, etc. But that's probably the best rebounding guard in the NBA.

Bruno
07-24-2011, 12:22 AM

Of that kit-kat bar?

I don't; could do the pace adjustment but won't, those numbers would still be impressive when adjusted. At least in the ball park of Magic/Kidd career numbers (6.5-7.5 per game). I started by acknowleding the Baylor was a three, just saying those numbers are impressive for a guy who's 6'5- even when adjusted for pace.

Erving played his fair share at the SG, at least enough to be mentioned.

GREATNESS ONE
07-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Magic, Big O & Kidd

GSRaider
07-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Kidd, Magic and O

PrettyBoyJ
07-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Magic was 6'9 he shoulda avg. double digit rebounds at least once

MelkyNYY
07-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Landry Fields? Are we serious? The guy who's going to be flipping burgers with Imam Shumpert in a few years?

DeyAce
07-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Rondo

njnets
07-24-2011, 01:19 AM
magic was 6'9'' i expect that from him. none the less, he was good at it.

kidd and oscar come to mind though. two triple double machines that got a lot of rebounds.

beasted86
07-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Obviously ridiculous given career lines, pace, etc. But that's probably the best rebounding guard in the NBA.

Because he averaged 6.3 rebounds in a fast paced system?

Wade averaged 6.4 on a much slower Heat team in case you didn't know.

claffyT
07-24-2011, 02:06 AM
oscar, kidd, magic,

Fnom11
07-24-2011, 04:55 AM
Personally I think Fields gets so many because Amare can't rebound, Turiaf can't rebound, and Melo can't rebound.

barreleffact
07-24-2011, 05:18 AM
^Melo is actually a very good rebounder for his position.

sventhedog
07-24-2011, 05:29 AM
probably robertson.

1hardcore
07-24-2011, 05:37 AM
magic

naps
07-24-2011, 06:10 AM

Nah man...It's Wade. Wade plays in a much slower system and still I think he had most rebounds of any guards last year and that's when playing with some very good rebounders in LeBron and Bosh.

All time it's Big O, Kidd, and Magic.

barreleffact
07-24-2011, 08:03 AM
^Bosh is NOT a good rebounder and Lebron is good for his position. Truth is, Wade may be the best rebounder on his team.

GoPacers33
07-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Big oooo
o o
o o
o o
ooo

koreancabbage
07-24-2011, 08:41 AM
of all time probably kidd and oscar

right now, in the game? fields, rondo, wade to name a few. good rebounders for their size

WadeKobe
07-24-2011, 08:44 AM
^Bosh is NOT a good rebounder and Lebron is good for his position. Truth is, Wade may be the best rebounder on his team.

in 2009-10 he was #5 among PF in ORB%, #5 in DRB%, #5 in TRB%, and the only PF to be equally good on both glasses. Everyone else was great on one and okay on another.

Bosh is a good rebounder.

WadeKobe
07-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Right now it's gotta be Dwyane Wade.

All time? Jason Kidd and I dare say given Magic's height, it's Kidd all by himself. Oscar is an overrated rebounder. With pace and field goal % adjusted for, his best rebounding season (13-some a game) is equal to Kidd's career numbers...

Mr. Baller
07-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Oscar aka the Big O

Silent
07-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Kidd Then Rondo

SaimuKala
07-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Kidd

dwadefan03
07-24-2011, 09:23 AM
right now...wade

all time...kidd

Hawkeye15
07-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Magic, Kidd in the modern era.

save the knicks
07-24-2011, 10:40 AM
My kingdom for a rebound rate list

In basketball statistics, rebound rate or rebound percentage is a statistic to gauge how effective a player is at gaining possession of the basketball after a missed field goal or free throw. Rebound rate is an estimate of the percentage of missed shots a player rebounded while he was on the floor. Using raw rebound totals to evaluate rebounding fails to take into account external factors unrelated to a player's ability, such as the number of shots taken in games and the percentage of those shots that are made. Both factors affect the number of missed shots that are available to be rebounded. Rebound rate takes these factors into account.[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebound_rate

For last season the best rebounding guards were as follows:
Mike Miller
Landry Fields
Marcus Thornton
Qrich
Wade
http://www.hoopdata.com/advancedstats.aspx?team=%25&type=pg&posi=G&yr=2011&gp=30&mins=15

Hawkeye15
07-24-2011, 10:51 AM
My kingdom for a rebound rate list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebound_rate

For last season the best rebounding guards were as follows:
Mike Miller
Landry Fields
Marcus Thornton
Qrich
Wade
http://www.hoopdata.com/advancedstats.aspx?team=%25&type=pg&posi=G&yr=2011&gp=30&mins=15

Rebound rate is still a great indicator over the course of 82 games however. Obviously using it for a single game, or even a small sample of games does let those factors listed have a large(r) effect. But over the course of 82 games, each player will likely be right at the mean for the percentage of shots made while they were in games, and any other factors.

barreleffact
07-24-2011, 11:30 AM
in 2009-10 he was #5 among PF in ORB%, #5 in DRB%, #5 in TRB%, and the only PF to be equally good on both glasses. Everyone else was great on one and okay on another.

Bosh is a good rebounder.

And in 2009 his second best rebounder was who, Bargnani? In 2011 what number was he when he actually had decent rebounders around him? Bosh, a good rebounder he is not.

blahblahyoutoo
07-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Landry Fields? Are we serious? The guy who's going to be flipping burgers with Imam Shumpert in a few years?

Fields has a 4 year degree from Stanford FYI.
I've seen his interviews. Perfect English unlike the Ebonics we hear from 95% of the league.
He'll be fine.

ragee
07-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Kidd, Big O and Magic are the players that came into my mind when I saw this thread... Are there better ones?

AIRMAR72
07-24-2011, 12:35 PM
they are a few other guys from back in the days but those guys didnt average over 20 points so picks would be jordan,wade,richmond,johnson,harper

tredigs
07-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Nah man...It's Wade. Wade plays in a much slower system and still I think he had most rebounds of any guards last year and that's when playing with some very good rebounders in LeBron and Bosh.

All time it's Big O, Kidd, and Magic.

Even pace adjusted, Landry was still the better rebounder. Better per-36 minute numbers and a better rebounding% than D Wade's ever had in his career (this year was his best ever). Averaged damn near 9 boards a game his senior year at Stanford too - and that was a significant improvement over his prior year (ie he worked to improve that facet) - dude's just a damn smart player/rebounder. Without a doubt better than Wade at it.

JasonJohnHorn
07-24-2011, 01:39 PM
First: The Big O
Second: Magic Johnson
Third: Michael Jordan

O is the only guard to average double figures, Magic has the second highest rebounding average among guards. Jordan, watching him rebound and watching Kidd rebound, I have to go with Jordan, even though their averages are about neck and neck and Kidds is slightly higher. Jordan had to put a lot of effort into the offensive end, not that Kidd doesn't, but lets face it, Jordan carried a heavy load on both ends of the court, Kidd has always shared the scoring load with other great scoreres (Dirk, Mashburn, Jim Jackson, Jefferson, Carter, ect...). If Jordan was a second or third option (or fourth of fifth like Kidd) he would have been able to focus more on the boards like Kidd has. Put the two head-to-head, Jordan would come out on top. And I think the same could be said of Drexler as well. Not that Kidd isn't right there, its like splitting hairs with these guys, but Drexler and Jordan could both outrebound Kidd if they didn't have to pace themselves on both ends of the floor.

Havlicek and Kobe come after Kidd, in that order, and Jerry West and Reggie Lewis we both great rebounders for their position, though there may be a couple guys ahead of them who I'm forgetting. Sprewell was a decend rebounded to, but his average was a little lower than some. Anybody who puts Drexler, Jordan and Kidd in a three way tie for second, is okay in my book, but nobody in their right minds should have anybody but O and Magic in the number one and number two spots resepctively.

Stack_NJNets
07-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Kidd

Trace
07-24-2011, 01:42 PM

he's also 6'7.

ewmania
07-24-2011, 01:44 PM
oscar robertson, dude averaged a triple double

then kidd

JasonJohnHorn
07-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Wade's a great rebounder, but lets keep in mind that Mike Miller out-rebounded Wade in the per36 lines. And Haslem had the best per36 average on the team. Haslem is, in my eyes, the best rebounder on Miami (and yes, his position does generally get more rebounds that guards obviously, but the dude is a work horseon the glass). SF and SG generally have relatively comprable rebounding averages with SFs getting a slight edge, but James on his career has been a better rebounder than Wade. This year the rebounding duties on Miami were spread around with James and Wade and Haslem (when he was playing) and Bosh (who IS a GOOD rebounder, just not a great one). Plus they had Big Z and bench warmers like Pittman and Magloire who were rebounding well in the minutes they got. Though Miami lacked a true rebounding center, once Spo realizes that he should be playing Haslem at C for 36 minutes a game, that should be adjusted.

Wade, given his size, understanably has a lower rebouding average than James, but I think over their careers, James has proven to be a better rebounder, though Wade is still an amazing rebounder for his position and was on a par with James this past season.

barreleffact
07-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Wade's a great rebounder, but lets keep in mind that Mike Miller out-rebounded Wade in the per36 lines. And Haslem had the best per36 average on the team. Haslem is, in my eyes, the best rebounder on Miami (and yes, his position does generally get more rebounds that guards obviously, but the dude is a work horseon the glass). SF and SG generally have relatively comprable rebounding averages with SFs getting a slight edge, but James on his career has been a better rebounder than Wade. This year the rebounding duties on Miami were spread around with James and Wade and Haslem (when he was playing) and Bosh (who IS a GOOD rebounder, just not a great one). Plus they had Big Z and bench warmers like Pittman and Magloire who were rebounding well in the minutes they got. Though Miami lacked a true rebounding center, once Spo realizes that he should be playing Haslem at C for 36 minutes a game, that should be adjusted.

Wade, given his size, understanably has a lower rebouding average than James, but I think over their careers, James has proven to be a better rebounder, though Wade is still an amazing rebounder for his position and was on a par with James this past season.

I definitely agree Haslem is their best rebounder. Admittedly, I overlooked him due to his lengthy injury this season. As for Miller I'd have to see the players he played with and the amount of minutes he played. If he played 20 min per game, I doubt he would keep that up for 36 minutes. If he didn't play with any other decent rebounders, he would get les than if he was a starter. But right now, I can't say who is better between the two.

I can't call Bosh a good rebounder. I remember for a while his average was like 6-7 per game. I can say he is a decent or average rebounder, but I cannot say good.

Lebron can very well be argued as a better rebounder. I think it's a toss up, but I am a harsh Lebron critic. Wade had some stellar rebounding games this year that should have been Lebron's and that is why I say he is better, but that is a moot point since Lebron had more rebs overall by about 100.

In short...I stand corrected. lol

Chronz
07-24-2011, 03:02 PM
I can't believe I see alot of big o but no fat lever? Wtf is wrong with you guys

dodie53
07-24-2011, 05:58 PM
oscar robertson

Luca68
07-24-2011, 05:59 PM
the upp and comerr would have to be rondooo

FaM0us Skins
07-24-2011, 06:03 PM
J. Kidd

PHXfanCRO
07-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Magic,Kidd,Robertson

Nick O
07-24-2011, 07:01 PM
id say.. J kidd

JasonJohnHorn
07-24-2011, 08:41 PM
I can't believe I see alot of big o but no fat lever? Wtf is wrong with you guys

Great call! I think the reason people forget is because he had a strong peak for about 4 years, and then faded fast. Great player though! His rookie card was among my favorite cards when I was a kid, though it wasnt worth much.

His career average is also not nearly as impressive as his peak years where he was grabbing practically 9 a game.

Alvin Robertson was also a decent rebounder for a guy who was 6'3. No Kidd, but worth a mention as well. That guy was a stat stuffer!

JasonJohnHorn
07-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Lebron can very well be argued as a better rebounder. I think it's a toss up, but I am a harsh Lebron critic. Wade had some stellar rebounding games this year that should have been Lebron's and that is why I say he is better, but that is a moot point since Lebron had more rebs overall by about 100.

In short...I stand corrected. lol

I think you were right. THIS season, Wade was a better rebounder than James. I was honestly expecting 8 a game at least from James, and while nearly 7 boards a game is impressive, inch for inch and pound for pound, Wade was a better rebounder this season. Its fair to expect that James should get 1 or 2 more boards a game than his team's shooting guard, but the rebounding race between Wade and James was a nearly a dead heat with 0.7 headed in James's favor. Being as how he plays forward and is about 6 or 6 inches taller than Wade (I've seen Wade listed as 6'3 and James at 6'8, but it looks like half a foot AT LEAST when I see them together on the floor), James SHOULD be out reboudning the guy by 300 a season, not 100. You have a solid case for putting Wade over James this year, I just think over their respective careers James has been a better rebounder. This year goes to Wade.

Lil Half Dead
07-24-2011, 08:49 PM
How did I know the OP was going to mention Landry Fields...

I'm going to roll with J. Kidd over the Big O. Why? Because Kidd was a bit smaller in a bigger era and used his body strategically rather than benefiting from athleticism and length. That and Kidd just actually was the better rebounder of the 2 :laugh2:

LakersA's49ers
07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
oscar and magic