PDA

View Full Version : How many hundreds of millions has AA saved Rogers the past year and a half?

North Yorker
07-23-2011, 11:24 AM
I was reading Dave Cameron's Top 50 Players with Trade Value (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2011-trade-value-10-1/) and one of the comments had me thinking:

Mad Dan says:
July 18, 2011 at 12:42 pm

$100 million in value on the Bautista extension.
At least $50 million saved in the Wells jettisoning.

Although he didn’t make the list, picking up Escobar and getting him under a ridiculous deal that will likely save the Jays 30 million

Millions in value added via the Morrow trade.

We still don’t know how the scouting and international FA signings will play out, but AA has probably netted Rogers about $200 million in added value over his first year and a half as GM.

Not to mention the Lind extension and his knack for getting club options.

AA's gets a lot of notoriety for his trades and draft pick fetish but I think his best quality as a GM is his $$$ management. Instead of being like Baltimore and spending over $15M on 2 FAs (Lee and Vlady), he takes that and gives out 4 of the top 10 signing bonuses to IFAs and drafts multiple tough signs.

He knows how to handle $$$, and when we apparently have a lot of it, it gets me excited to see what he has up his sleeve next.

BTW in the Top 50 the Jays have 2 players:

#2 – Jose Bautista, OF, Toronto: +15.7

I debated putting Bautista at #1 for quite a while. No player in baseball has more present value than the Blue Jays slugger, who is currently in the midst of one of the best seasons we’ve ever seen. At just $14 million per year for each of the next four years, he’s producing at a best-player-in-baseball level while getting paid a little less than Jason Bay or Adam Dunn. The Blue Jays saved themselves at least $100 million with the extension they gave Bautista last winter, which now looks like one of the best decisions any GM has ever made. But, in the end, as good as Bautista is he just couldn’t quite reach the top spot on this list. He’s fantastic, but he’s also 30-years-old, and there’s still some lingering question about how long he can keep this up. The package is good enough to be the second most valuable asset in baseball, but he’s not quite at the level where he could pass…

and

#37 – Ricky Romero, SP, Toronto: +8.4 WAR

While Romero’s career-best ERA might suggest he’s making the leap to ace-level starter, his peripherals suggest that he’s the same good-but-not-great starter he’s been the past two years. He’s not a standout guy at any one thing, but he gets enough ground balls and strikeouts while keeping his walks somewhat in check, so the overall package works. But the best thing about Romero is his contract – he’s due just $5 million next season and $7.5 million in each of the three following seasons, and then the Blue Jays have an option on him for 2016 at $13 million. Like Shields, Romero might not excite everyone as a guy who pitches off an excellent changeup, but he’s a good pitcher with an excellent contract, and those are few and far between.

Yunel was snubbed, Bautista was 2nd to Longoria.

nithanyo
07-23-2011, 12:25 PM
The Wells contract was the only thing he took off the books. You can't really consider the bautista or escobar extension or trading for morrow as him 'saving' money.

Either way like most jays fans I'm thrilled by the way this guy runs the team.

Bombtista
07-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Interesting read! do you think the Jays would ever consider trading Bautista now that he is under contract? i really doubt it but he could net a whole team of prospects

GNick
07-23-2011, 12:32 PM
AA has to be very financial minded, Jays can't take the financial gambles of some teams.

ThunderZubb
07-23-2011, 01:10 PM
I am so happy that AA saved Rogers so much money lol being sarcastic wow the money AA saves Roger communication Inc from this point and further more better go towards this team going forward. Like getting better players and not going into these executives pockets by them buying there 10th home, buying there 2nd yacht and buying there 20th fancy car. Only thing I care about is Rogers putting where there mouth is and forking up the payroll to 150 millions they promised the fans and media by putting the best product of baseball that we have not seen since the glory days wow I miss those days. The money AA is saving this company is not really going into my pockets so I I dont give a **** how much money AA saves this company as long as the money he saves them goes back into this team and improving the stadium etc. There are baseball team that a GM saves the owner millions and millions of dollars by pocketing the money. Nothing go towards the baseball team and hopefully Rogers communications does not do that to this team

nithanyo
07-23-2011, 01:23 PM
I am so happy that AA saved Rogers so much money lol being sarcastic wow the money AA saves Roger communication Inc from this point and further more better go towards this team going forward. Like getting better players and not going into these executives pockets by them buying there 10th home, buying there 2nd yacht and buying there 20th fancy car. Only thing I care about is Rogers putting where there mouth is and forking up the payroll to 150 millions they promised the fans and media by putting the best product of baseball that we have not seen since the glory days wow I miss those days. The money AA is saving this company is not really going into my pockets so I I dont give a **** how much money AA saves this company as long as the money he saves them goes back into this team and improving the stadium etc. There are baseball team that a GM saves the owner millions and millions of dollars by pocketing the money. Nothing go towards the baseball team and hopefully Rogers communications does not do that to this team

This.

AA can save Rogers all the money he wants. At the end of the day Rogers is probably just going to pocket the money claiming 'the team isn't ready yet'. The die hard fans will be gullible, nod there head and watch another year of 3rd-4th place baseball. The average fans will stop watching baseball and start doing something with their summers.

Until this money is put into bringing big name talent, most fans are not gonna give ****. The attendance isn't going back up until a winner is put out there. Its not like AA is helping me out by saving me some money on my cable or phone bill either, so why should i care?

ThunderZubb
07-23-2011, 01:40 PM
This.

AA can save Rogers all the money he wants. At the end of the day Rogers is probably just going to pocket the money claiming 'the team isn't ready yet'. The die hard fans will be gullible, nod there head and watch another year of 3rd-4th place baseball. The average fans will stop watching baseball and start doing something with their summers.

Until this money is put into bringing big name talent, most fans are not gonna give ****. The attendance isn't going back up until a winner is put out there. Its not like AA is helping me out by saving me some money on my cable or phone bill either, so why should i care?

Exactly amen we are both thinking the exact same way. Is Rogers going to pay my rent and bills. Right now money is tight for me and I have not been to a baseball game this year. In the past I have gone to at least 3 games a year by spending an average of 150 dollars including food and parking each game. Until rogers puts a quality team on the field than the fans like me we will excited going to baseball games other than that why would watch a 4th place team by going to the stadium. I rather watch the blue jay game on TV because right now it makes sense finically for me like i said before
Rogers bumps the payroll 150 million dollars like the company promised and put the best product on the field so we would be able to keep up with this damn hard AL East dividion.

Twitchy
07-23-2011, 06:35 PM
The Wells contract was the only thing he took off the books. You can't really consider the bautista or escobar extension or trading for morrow as him 'saving' money.

It's pretty simple on Bautista. If the extension wasn't signed Bautista would be looking at 160-180 M in the offseason. So yeah, either he saved the team 100M, or he ensured that the best player wasn't lost to FA. Either way you look at it, he saved the Jays a lot on the Bautista deal.

North Yorker
07-23-2011, 07:24 PM

This.

Wow. You guys make it sound like they don't care about improving because they didnt dish out $142M for Crawford(.280 OBP and has missed like 30 games) or $56M for Dunn(batting .163 and leads the league in Ks).

I guess some people are forgetting that this is a rebuilding year where we have just traded our back to back opening day starters. We spent the 3rd highest amount ever in the draft last year. Thrown out plenty of $$$ in the IFA market, along with drafting multiple tough signs. These arent the signs of ownership not willing to spend.

I understand that you dont give a **** about saving Rogers money but the more young controllable talent we bring in the more financial flexibility and trading assets we'll have when we are ready to contend. There's no point in spending money just for the sake of it. AA knows what he wants and I think ownership trusts him to spend it wisely, which he has so far. AA has said that when it came to money he never got the answer from ownership "we can't do this". Hopefully when AA asks for the cash to get that one player to put us over the hump that that answer stays the same.

ThunderZubb
07-23-2011, 10:00 PM
I know what you are saying north yorker but all I am saying is that if AA saves the company 100 million dollars than all care is at least 50 million out of the 100 million he saves the company should go towards the teams payroll that is all I am trying to say. I am very optimistic about this 150 million dollar payroll until I see that payroll than I will believe that they are willing to compete.

nithanyo
07-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Wow. You guys make it sound like they don't care about improving because they didnt dish out $142M for Crawford(.280 OBP and has missed like 30 games) or $56M for Dunn(batting .163 and leads the league in Ks).

I guess some people are forgetting that this is a rebuilding year where we have just traded our back to back opening day starters. We spent the 3rd highest amount ever in the draft last year. Thrown out plenty of $$$ in the IFA market, along with drafting multiple tough signs. These arent the signs of ownership not willing to spend.

I understand that you dont give a **** about saving Rogers money but the more young controllable talent we bring in the more financial flexibility and trading assets we'll have when we are ready to contend. There's no point in spending money just for the sake of it. AA knows what he wants and I think ownership trusts him to spend it wisely, which he has so far. AA has said that when it came to money he never got the answer from ownership "we can't do this". Hopefully when AA asks for the cash to get that one player to put us over the hump that that answer stays the same.

Fans are not frustrated with AA. Fans love this guy.

We are frustrated with Rogers' inability to commit to this team. We've heard the rumours that we will spend money (as much as 150 mill) "when the time is right". It sounds like an excuse to bring fans into games.

Well please tell me when that time is. IMO we were closest in 2008 when we had the best pitching in baseball. Or from 2002-2009 when we had the best pitcher in baseball at his prime. Or from 2006-08 when we had arguably the best 1-2 punch pitching wise, while we had a core of Rios, Wells, Glaus/Rolen, Hill. Rogers didn't have the initiative to make that extra push. Why should we believe them now?

In the AL east you have 2 options. Have 10 last place seasons like the Rays and stockpile talent and make a run at it with no guarantee. OR spend like the Yankees or Red Sox.

Did i mention its been 17 years since we last played some meaningful october baseball

Im a die hard fan. Im going to stick with this team through thick and a lot of thin. Most of toronto isn't like that. A lot of them jumped off in 1994.

I understand this is a rebuilding team. I love AA's rebuilding plan. I think it can work but when is Rogers going to spend? The jays saved a **** load of money.

We have arguably the best hitter in baseball now. Isn't the time to spend now?
Rebuilding is all good but do we have elite talent coming through the system aside from Lawrie? The Red Sox and Yanks are an elite team and to beat them you need elite talent. By elite talent i mean a longoria or a lincecum. These guys came up with hype and translated that into success. Even our best pitching prospect in Drabek isn't all that great.

wamco
07-24-2011, 08:42 AM
incorrect, noone has prospects except for the jays and even if the pros that are cited as raving of our prospect rave of other teams prospects, they are incorrect/overrated.