PDA

View Full Version : How Old Is Yao Ming?

JasonJohnHorn
07-23-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm not what you would call a conspiracy theorist or anything, but China has been caught faking birth certificants for the olympics in the past, notably with gymnists who were too young. When Yao first got drafted, and since, there rumours swirled about what Yao's actual age was, most suggesting that he was far older than he claimed to be. I've looked this up online, and I haven't seen any evidence to support it, but I'm curious if any other fans have come across anything to refute or cast doubts on the age currently given. Other talented players (Ralph Sampsom and Bill Walton as an example) have suffered injuries that sent them to the pine early in their careers, and given Yao's size, it seems fair to assume that he might be more inclined to get injured that most people, given his size, so while his early retirement and injuries may suggest he's older than the 30 years he is thoguht to be, this is certainly not concrete.

Anybody out there ever come across anything or remember hearing anything about this?

Hellcrooner
07-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Nope.
Anyway these kind of suspicions are always around when talking bout African born players.

Many people suspected mutombo was 5 or 6 years older than declared.

Wich would mean.....he retired at age 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrfadeawayJB
07-23-2011, 01:40 AM
I havent actually heard this. I would venture to say Yao is his exact age. Big men have a history of foot/ankle problems, so this is not a suprise. If your hauling around 7'6 300+ pounds every night, it will wear on you. Only a select few that big make long careers for themselves like Shaq.

lakers4sho
07-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Boy we are really running out of topics to talk about...

sportscrazy34
07-23-2011, 03:39 AM
There's no real reason to fake his age like they do with the gymnasts. I mean if he was 22 or say 26 with his height and ability he would have gone number 1. I would guess the only sport that has a age faking issue is baseball with the latin players trying to appear younger.

AWC713
07-23-2011, 03:42 AM
he did look really young when he was drafting i dont think his age was faked

tredigs
07-23-2011, 03:51 AM
Yao Ming SO old when he was in school there was no history class.

Yao Ming SO old he knew the Burger King when he was a prince.

millerandco
07-23-2011, 05:08 AM
wow the lockout has forced us to discuss this

TMAC94
07-23-2011, 05:34 AM
i remember this was talked about a couple years before im pretty sure, i dont think he is older than his birth certificate says, i think being 7'6 and 300 even without playing basketball he would have had probelms with his physical health.

TrueFan420
07-23-2011, 06:06 AM
i think yao is the age he says but is just too big hence the injuries. however, i would not put it past the Chinese government i believe they lied about yi jianlian age.

sventhedog
07-23-2011, 08:08 AM
old enough to party.

rhymeratic
07-23-2011, 08:46 AM
I think anytime they question that it's almost borderline racist and definitely insensitive. These countries can now question whether or not our President was actually born in the US. I say leave these players alone when it comes to their age.

GoPacers33
07-23-2011, 09:02 AM
He's 60 haha

PHX2daDEATH
07-23-2011, 09:28 AM
born in 1980 that would make him close to turning 31..his stats say he was about the right age..i was suprised that he avg over 25 points per game one year..

Hellcrooner
07-23-2011, 10:17 AM
the real question tough is how old is greg oden???? :p

schilling
07-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I think anytime they question that it's almost borderline racist and definitely insensitive. These countries can now question whether or not our President was actually born in the US. I say leave these players alone when it comes to their age.

Why is that borderline racist? I'm not sure if I follow your comment. Just because it's involving a race other than white / caucasian, doesn't quite mean its a racial issue. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking too far into it.

I think everyone has the right to ask about backgrounds. This stuff happens happens all the time in sports, people lie about their age, either to get in the league sooner, or in this particular case, to be valued at a higher price. Who would you want, a young giant sensation at age 20 or 25? You may say that 5 years isn't a difference, but the Rockets wouldn't have wanted to mess with this guy if he was beyond 30. They believed he can over come the injuries, and obviously could not. It could just be because he's big, but 30 is still very young.

aussie
07-23-2011, 12:08 PM
wiki

blahblahyoutoo
07-23-2011, 12:41 PM
forget yao ming. how old is oden?

Sadds The Gr8
07-23-2011, 12:42 PM
how in the **** are we supposed to know Yao Ming's "real" age?

IndiansFan337
07-23-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm not what you would call a conspiracy theorist or anything, but China has been caught faking birth certificants for the olympics in the past, notably with gymnists who were too young. When Yao first got drafted, and since, there rumours swirled about what Yao's actual age was, most suggesting that he was far older than he claimed to be. I've looked this up online, and I haven't seen any evidence to support it, but I'm curious if any other fans have come across anything to refute or cast doubts on the age currently given. Other talented players (Ralph Sampsom and Bill Walton as an example) have suffered injuries that sent them to the pine early in their careers, and given Yao's size, it seems fair to assume that he might be more inclined to get injured that most people, given his size, so while his early retirement and injuries may suggest he's older than the 30 years he is thoguht to be, this is certainly not concrete.

Anybody out there ever come across anything or remember hearing anything about this?
He was still playing very well when healthy, so I don't have any reason to think he's older than reported.

Not to mention, he would have been playing for their national team as soon as he was eligible (I don't know what their age requirements are), so I don't think that he could have lied about his age.