PDA

View Full Version : A player jumps from behind the three-point line and dunks the ball; is it a 2 or a 3?

F*(&"Next Year"
07-22-2011, 08:31 PM
well?

coryd238
07-22-2011, 08:32 PM
3, I think. It would be the same as doing a running floater from the 3 point line. It's where you leave the ground, not where you let go of the ball.

PocketKings
07-22-2011, 08:35 PM
5 pointer.
You add 2+3=5.

That's my solution to this... because if you can take off from behind the 3 point line and still yam it, umm... 5 points for you in my book. :shrug:

Jamiecballer
07-22-2011, 08:39 PM
obviously 2. it's where you are when the ball leaves your hand.

Iodine
07-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Its actually a game Breaker that unlocks big head mode

Sadds The Gr8
07-22-2011, 08:41 PM

this

VCaintdead17
07-22-2011, 08:42 PM

Lol

Master Mind
The game would end due to awesomeness...

PocketKings

#Winning

Cal827
07-22-2011, 08:43 PM
The game would end due to awesomeness...

This. The other team would just walk off the court cause there ain't no defending that.

netsgiantsyanks
07-22-2011, 08:44 PM
lolwut?

blastmasta26
07-22-2011, 08:48 PM
3, I think. It would be the same as doing a running floater from the 3 point line. It's where you leave the ground, not where you let go of the ball.

I'm not sure which is true, so I'm just gonna go ahead and say it's an automatic win.

Swashcuff
07-22-2011, 08:50 PM
I say 3.

smith&wesson
07-22-2011, 08:51 PM
if you dunk the ball and jump from before the foul line it should autmatically be a 3. and your foot cant be on the line has to be before it. that would be cool .

pd1dish
07-22-2011, 08:52 PM
its a 3. its where your feet leave the ground. like another poster said, if you take a leaner from the 3 point line, you are technically past it, but its still counts as a three as long as you were behind it when you jumped.

"A player is allowed to jump from outside the line and land inside the line to make a three-point attempt, as long as the ball is released in mid-air." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_field_goal

its from wikipedia (was too lazy to look past the first link i got), but thats a reliable source, right?

Robbw241
07-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Someone needs to rent Space Jam and see how much they scored it!!!

TO Rapz
07-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Lol. I think it d be a 3, I could be wrong though.

jon32
07-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Someone needs to rent Space Jam and see how much they scored it!!!

on it

gilly
07-22-2011, 09:00 PM
If anyone ever dunked from behind the three-point line, the ref should just stop the game and award the win.

CHANGO
07-22-2011, 09:07 PM

:speechless::laugh:

Iodine
07-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Also Ante Up would start playing and everyone would go into a blind rage due to the awesomeness that is usially reserved for getting raped by a dingo

MickeyMgl
07-22-2011, 09:17 PM

Nope. It's where you are when you leave the floor.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-22-2011, 09:27 PM
I've always wondered this after seeing MJ take off from over half court in Space Jam.

They counted it as 2 though.

Jamiecballer
07-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Nope. It's where you are when you leave the floor.

agree to disagree my friend. agree to disagree.

justOmazing
07-22-2011, 09:34 PM

no it's not... it's where your feet were when you left the ground.

IN instant replay in the NBA, THAT is the whole reason they show where the guys feet were ON THE GROUND. If a toe was on the line, it is a 2... If it is behind the line when he jumps, it is a three.

notoriouzzzz
07-22-2011, 09:36 PM
No point!! Technical! Illegal Jump, Illegal Shot. Three free throws for the other team

Jamiecballer
07-22-2011, 09:38 PM
no it's not... it's where your feet were when you left the ground.

IN instant replay in the NBA, THAT is the whole reason they show where the guys feet were ON THE GROUND. If a toe was on the line, it is a 2... If it is behind the line when he jumps, it is a three.

i understand that. i think the situation would be different in this case. on a jump shot, it's easy to tell that your intention was to shoot. how do you determine when the player has committed to the act of shooting in this case? in my opinion it's only when he is close enough to realistically reach out and dunk it. until then he's just flying.

RaiderLakersA's
07-22-2011, 09:42 PM
It's a 3...

...but it's also a good excuse to go back to the more physical gameplay of the 70s, 80s and early 90s. A player that was able to jump from the 3pt line would get clotheslined regularly. Charles Oakley and Laimbeer and a bunch of other roughneck defenders wouldn't tolerate that sort of thing. The only head swelling would be from knot they just put upside said player's head.

b0nk
07-22-2011, 09:45 PM
0 points.
because this will never happen.
unless you talkin' video games

BOOMSHAKALAKA

Sportfan
07-22-2011, 09:45 PM
It's a 2, street rules that is

WadeKobe
07-22-2011, 09:55 PM

You can't really "agree to disagree" when it comes to facts, lol.

That's like on another forum a guy kept trying to tell me "it's okay that we disagree" about what I said. That is, he kept arguing that I'd said soemthing I hadn't. But, for him, he had the right to think I'd said something I hadn't, and I had no authority to correct him... about what I'd said. lol.

Anyways, basketball is a game where possession is always a matter of where your feet last touched.

You touch out of bounds but catch the ball mid-air in bounds... you're out of bounds.

Backcourt? Same thing.

Three point shot, where you jump first and shoot mid-air? 3 pointer.

2 point shot where you fade away and your hands are past the 3-point line mid-air? 2 pointer.

It's how the game of basketball works. This would be no different.

justOmazing
07-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Section I-Scoring

a. A legal goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through the net.

b. A successful field goal attempt from the area on or inside the three-point field goal line shall count two points.

c. A successful field goal attempt from the area outside the three-point field goal line shall count three points.

(1) The shooter must have at least one foot on the floor outside the three-point field goal line prior to the attempt.

(2) The shooter may not be touching the floor on or be inside the three-point field goal line.

(3) The shooter may contact the three-point field goal line, or land in the two-point field goal area, after the ball is released.

http://www.basketball.com/nba/rules/rule5.shtml

END OF DISCUSSION!

justOmazing
07-22-2011, 09:56 PM
i understand that. i think the situation would be different in this case. on a jump shot, it's easy to tell that your intention was to shoot. how do you determine when the player has committed to the act of shooting in this case? in my opinion it's only when he is close enough to realistically reach out and dunk it. until then he's just flying.

you are wrong... see the rules in my post above this one

juno10
07-22-2011, 10:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfh2sgpuDBw

i think this is a good example, wade>kobe is right it matters where your feet touch last.

TheRomanGod
07-22-2011, 10:05 PM
your an idiot

i feel bad for you.

justOmazing
07-22-2011, 10:10 PM

wrong. see the rules:
http://www.basketball.com/nba/rules/rule5.shtml

DodgerBulls
07-22-2011, 10:13 PM
If it happens, then I'll stop watching and playing basketball all together. If someone makes it, he should be the GOAT all time, irreplaceable.

MrfadeawayJB
07-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Its a 3.

thread/

notoriouzzzz
07-22-2011, 10:28 PM
If anyone ever dunked from behind the three-point line, the ref should just stop the game and award the win.
Nope.. flying violation/air travel. Turnover

avrpatsfan
07-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Tres

ChiTownPacerFan
07-22-2011, 11:09 PM

Oh ****, I guess Travis Best never actually hit a three in his entire career.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-22-2011, 11:19 PM
I think it's a three. And you know it's going to be a long lockout when threads like these are going to be made lol.

BrokenAnkles
07-22-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure. I think this happens in Space Jam so I'll go re-watch it and find out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY5AoBBH7cA

BlitzBlud4
07-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Interesting question but I don't think it's possible for a player to jump from behind the 3PT line (without any props) and successfully able to dunk the ball without first landing (being in air the whole time then dunking)

IndyRealist
07-22-2011, 11:36 PM

It's where your feet were when you left the ground, not where you released the ball. If you jump forward from behind the 3pt line and release the ball at 20ft, it's still a 3.

RevisIsland
07-22-2011, 11:36 PM
I went 2 but I really wasn't sure. I went with where he was when he released the ball (right in front of the basket) but I'm really not sure. I don't think I need to mention how unrealistic this is though.

tredigs
07-22-2011, 11:43 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. Well that explains Shelden http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_n4ogPR3s2g4/SETM3sImBII/AAAAAAAAAcE/XhXz15xIVnA/s200/shelden-williams-hd.jpg

MTar786
07-22-2011, 11:55 PM
this should count as an automatic gamewinner and also blows up the other teams coaches head.. but only if their coach is older than the age of 50. Although.. if the opposing teams coach has brown hair then this rule shall be null and void and does not count for anything

MTar786
07-22-2011, 11:57 PM
It's where your feet were when you left the ground, not where you released the ball. If you jump forward from behind the 3pt line and release the ball at 20ft, it's still a 3.

you are correct sir.. it is where you leave the ground. not where you release. Whoever told you that only plays nba live. They would know better if they were playing nba 2k.. a true game

PurpleJesus
07-23-2011, 12:06 AM
good question, which i have wondered myself before. Not that it will happen in the next 100+ years, but Im thinking 3 points

Kashmir13579
07-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Instant death for the other team. 5 players literally drop dead.

stawka
07-23-2011, 12:23 AM

Not sure if serious? It's a 3. It's where you take off from, just like if someone throws up a running floater from 3 at the buzzer.

D Roses Bulls
07-23-2011, 12:23 AM
come on guys, it's a 2 I'm pretty sure. the ball has to be released from your hands with your body behind the line. I know it sounds like it should be a 3, but the ball has to be released behind the line to make it a 3 and its not a dunk if you have to release the ball.

A player's feet must be completely behind the three-point line at the time of the shot or jump in order to make a three-point attempt; if the player's feet are on or in front of the line, it is a two point attempt. A player is allowed to jump from outside the line and land inside the line to make a three-point attempt, as long as the ball is released in mid-air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_field_goal

D Roses Bulls
07-23-2011, 12:25 AM
but there is no current rule for it in the NBA for a 3 point dunk. so I'm guessing they would handle it like a 3 point shot.

Mcnabb_vision
07-23-2011, 12:27 AM
it would be a 3....but im tryna figure out how someone would be able to do that...

maybe something like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvtmAotTqfU

Giraffes Rule
07-23-2011, 12:29 AM

Uh... no. You're wrong. You can't disagree when the rules of the NBA clearly state it.

tredigs
07-23-2011, 12:30 AM
come on guys, it's a 2 I'm pretty sure. the ball has to be released from your hands with your body behind the line. I know it sounds like it should be a 3, but the ball has to be released behind the line to make it a 3 and its not a dunk if you have to release the ball.

Nah, I don't think the ball has nothing to do with it, and your own link shows that. As long as you jump from behind the line and let it go before you land (regardless of where the ball is), it's a three. People release the ball ahead of the line more often than not, I'd say.

But to answer this question seriously, I'm not sure... because once your hand hits the rim before you land, that could be considered touching ahead of the line before the ball is fully through the hoop. If you just THROW it in Blake Griffin on the Knicks style, then it'd be a trey.

D Roses Bulls
07-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Nah, I don't think the ball has nothing to do with it, and your own link shows that. As long as you jump from behind the line and let it go before you land (regardless of where the ball is), it's a three. People release the ball ahead of the line more often than not, I'd say.

But to answer this question seriously, I'm not sure... because once your hand hits the rim before you land, that could be considered touching ahead of the line before the ball is fully through the hoop. If you just THROW it in Blake Griffin on the Knicks style, then it'd be a trey.

but the bolded part, says, as long as the ball is released before you cross that line. you can still jump and land past the 3 point line, but the ball has to be released before you cross the line as the bolded part states.

Iodine
07-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Tre the fact your trying to take this seriously saddens me

D Roses Bulls
07-23-2011, 12:37 AM

actually, it's not a stupid question. the NBA has no rule for it and if you look on youtube, people have come close to doing it before such as mcgrady and I think Pippen. with evolution and the advanced work outs we have today and will eventually get and people becoming bigger and stronger each year, it might be only a matter of time before someone does it.

Gambeezy
07-23-2011, 12:37 AM
If someone did this, the guy standing in front of the restricted area ready to draw the charge would be killed on contact.

tredigs
07-23-2011, 12:39 AM

Only God can judge me nowww.

Now I'm arguing with my roommate about it, debating if Powell took 5 feet off his record long jump of 29 feet for more airtime if he could pull it off.

I'm devoting the next year of my life to make this youtube video happen. Basketball sabbatical.

Iodine
07-23-2011, 12:42 AM
It would require a hyper athlete who has redonkulous arms, lots of training in the long jump, perfect timing, and peanut butter

tredigs
07-23-2011, 12:47 AM
Or a lotta cocaine.

Iodine
07-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Thats a given though

Skins4Life
07-23-2011, 12:55 AM
I think the laws of physics prohibits anyone jumping from the ground to be in the air for more than a second, so jumping from the three pt line and actually dunking the ball is defn impossible w/o help... with that said, ill play along- it would be a 3 ptr :D

tredigs
07-23-2011, 12:58 AM
I think the laws of physics prohibits anyone jumping from the ground to be in the air for more than a second, so jumping from the three pt line and actually dunking the ball is defn impossible w/o help... with that said, ill play along- it would be a 3 ptr :D

Crazy. Never heard that before. But I just stop-watched the long jump world record - sho' nuff, slightly under a second. Don't see why they couldn't get their in under a second though?

MansekCL
07-23-2011, 01:04 AM

it's the last place where you step on. If you jump from behind the 3, it's a 3, but if you touch the basket it'll be a 2 pointer.

believeinNYK
07-23-2011, 01:06 AM
I guess it would be a three going by the rule of where the player took off from the floor but it would complicate things cause then technically a player taking a hop frm behind the 3pt line to abt 15-18 ft range could shoot it in mid air and it would be a 3 if it goes in, unless they make a rule against it

Spiderman 1nner
07-23-2011, 01:08 AM
why dont we cross that bridge when it happens, but i'd have to say if someone dunked from the 3 point line, instant gamebreaker lmao

kovah
07-23-2011, 01:21 AM
I think it's funny when people post 'your an idiot' when it is actually suppose to be 'you're an idiot'. Making the person who said 'your an idiot' the real idiot....

albertc86
07-23-2011, 01:26 AM
It would be worth two points because a dunk isn't a shot per se. The hand comes in contact with the rim.

naps
07-23-2011, 02:03 AM
I think if the player can dunk or let the ball go without touching the rim it's an automatic 3.
However, if he touches the rim it might be counted as a 2 since the rim/stand is connected to ground.

Just trying to think something different. But not sure with either one.

knicks4life33
07-23-2011, 02:05 AM
should be a 10 pointer just for the fact he was able to do it but in all seriousness it would be a 3

sventhedog
07-23-2011, 08:09 AM
wait. i'll play nba jam and tell you later.

Jamiecballer
07-23-2011, 09:45 AM
It would be worth two points because a dunk isn't a shot per se. The hand comes in contact with the rim.

I think if the player can dunk or let the ball go without touching the rim it's an automatic 3.
However, if he touches the rim it might be counted as a 2 since the rim/stand is connected to ground.

Just trying to think something different. But not sure with either one.

agreed. agreed. and agreed. also i think the question arises when does said flying person actually commit to the act of shooting. there are no rules for this but i am totally convinced it would have to be treated as a 2.

GoPacers33
07-23-2011, 10:03 AM

JayAllDay
07-23-2011, 10:19 AM
It's a 3.

If the rim is considered the ground then all dunks would be a walk.
It's where your feet is not where your hands are when the ball is released. That will be first of all impossible to govern, and everybody who leans on their shots will not get a 3.

End this madness. People are posting links that they are reading wrong. Wiki page specifically states: A player's feet must be completely behind the three-point line at the time of the shot or jump in order to make a three-point attempt; if the player's feet are on or in front of the line, it is a two point attempt. A player is allowed to jump from outside the line and land inside the line to make a three-point attempt, as long as the ball is released in mid-air.

I guess the last part is confusing. Let me clarify that for you.
If you don't release the ball in mid air, it's a walk so it's 0 points and you turn the ball over.

/thread

Green_Monster
07-23-2011, 11:14 AM
I think 3, it's where you feet left off. BTW, is this even possible for a human?

IndyRealist
07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
but the bolded part, says, as long as the ball is released before you cross that line. you can still jump and land past the 3 point line, but the ball has to be released before you cross the line as the bolded part states.

Your quote actually says that the ball has to be release in mid-air, not before the line. If you don't release the ball mid-air, it's travelling.

IndyRealist
07-23-2011, 11:44 AM
agreed. agreed. and agreed. also i think the question arises when does said flying person actually commit to the act of shooting. there are no rules for this but i am totally convinced it would have to be treated as a 2.

Touching the rim had nothing to do with it, it's where your feet left the ground. And dunks are considered field goal shots, or they wouldn't be included in FG% and Shaq would shoot like 12% from the field.

IndyRealist
07-23-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm actually surprised that so many basketball fans have such a poor understanding of a fundamental basketball rule.

aussie
07-23-2011, 11:59 AM

assisi805
07-23-2011, 12:09 PM
I actually have a video of the crowd/refs reactions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVToi7Z_6YU

blahblahyoutoo
07-23-2011, 12:37 PM

you are correct, but we're not sure what the rules say about the player hand making contact with the rim.

if he makes a layup taking off from 3 pt line, then that's positively a 3.

sep11ie
07-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Only Chuck Norris can do this.

sep11ie
07-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm actually surprised that so many basketball fans have such a poor understanding of a fundamental basketball rule.

I wouldn't call dunking from the 3 point lin fundamentals...

Duddy
07-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Good, I'm not the only idiot who ever wondered that. But it's probably a 3 though

Jamiecballer
07-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Touching the rim had nothing to do with it, it's where your feet left the ground. And dunks are considered field goal shots, or they wouldn't be included in FG% and Shaq would shoot like 12% from the field.

i'm not questioning whether dunks are considered field goal attempts, just questioning whether they could be considered to have started their actual "field goal attempt" that far from the basket or not. i think there is a lot more to consider in this than you are acknowledging.

IndyRealist
07-23-2011, 05:37 PM
i'm not questioning whether dunks are considered field goal attempts, just questioning whether they could be considered to have started their actual "field goal attempt" that far from the basket or not. i think there is a lot more to consider in this than you are acknowledging.

I thought someone said something about a dunk not being a shot attempt.

I see the position your taking, which is "when does the actual shot attempt start?" If a player leaves the floor and goes into a "shooting motion" it's a shot attempt. If he gets fouled trying to dunk it's "in the act of shooting" regardless of whether the ball leaves his hands or not.

Take this example. If a player is on the baseline and jumps out of bounds, shooting the ball over the backboard. It's a perfectly legal shot if his feet do not touch out of bounds, even though he does not release the ball while in bounds. The location of his feet when he last touched the ground is the determining factor on where a shot was taken from, not when he releases the ball.

PrettyBoyJ
07-23-2011, 05:58 PM
That should be automatic win like I wouldnt even wanna play if I was the opposing team

NYKNYGNYY
07-23-2011, 06:18 PM
lol ive always wondered this

championships
07-23-2011, 06:22 PM
No need to answer cause never going to happen.

Jamiecballer
07-23-2011, 08:36 PM
I thought someone said something about a dunk not being a shot attempt.

I see the position your taking, which is "when does the actual shot attempt start?" If a player leaves the floor and goes into a "shooting motion" it's a shot attempt. If he gets fouled trying to dunk it's "in the act of shooting" regardless of whether the ball leaves his hands or not.

Take this example. If a player is on the baseline and jumps out of bounds, shooting the ball over the backboard. It's a perfectly legal shot if his feet do not touch out of bounds, even though he does not release the ball while in bounds. The location of his feet when he last touched the ground is the determining factor on where a shot was taken from, not when he releases the ball.

so you don't think it matters that for the first 15 feet or so of his "journey" he isn't actually in the act of shooting at all. interesting. i just don't see it that way.

dnewguy
07-23-2011, 09:07 PM
This thread should be in the fantasy forum.

Pornstar86
07-23-2011, 10:05 PM

you can think whatever you want, but your wrong

if you shoot a 3, but land inside the line, its still a 3...i dont think touching the rim would matter, because by then the ball is out of your hands, especially since this would most likely be a one-handed dunk

NBA_Starter
07-23-2011, 10:19 PM

5ass
07-23-2011, 10:43 PM
If you watched space jam and saw when MJ dunked it from half court you would know its a 3points.
Its 3 points because its from where you jump. Lets say you shoot a 3 pointer but jump forard while doing so and release after the 3 point line its still a 3. So its not where ur hand leaves the ball, but where u jump.

IndyRealist
07-23-2011, 11:37 PM
so you don't think it matters that for the first 15 feet or so of his "journey" he isn't actually in the act of shooting at all. interesting. i just don't see it that way.

Does it matter if the player jumps inside the 3pt line that he didn't raise the ball up until he was inside? I'm not sure why you think being in the act of shooting matters to whether it's a 2 or 3.

D Roses Bulls
07-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Your quote actually says that the ball has to be release in mid-air, not before the line. If you don't release the ball mid-air, it's travelling.

I know but it has to be released in mid air behind the 3 point line.

Jamiecballer
07-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Does it matter if the player jumps inside the 3pt line that he didn't raise the ball up until he was inside? I'm not sure why you think being in the act of shooting matters to whether it's a 2 or 3.

i don't see the correlation between this and shooting a 3 but landing inside the 3 point line.

it's 2 points plain and simple. you get 3 points for shooting behind the line, 2 points for shooting inside. a dunk is a "shot" that occurs at the rim. since the player in this case is never actually "shooting" it wouldn't matter if he jumped from outside the stadium.

i'm not sure why people see this as that much different than a half-court alley-oop. in both cases the ball never touches the ground and is "dunked" at the rim.

dodie53
07-24-2011, 01:51 AM
you are bored sir

claffyT
07-24-2011, 02:09 AM
hmmm i think it would be a 2 because the player touches the rim, unless he does a dunk like dwights in the allstar game where he threw the ball in the rim (the superman dunk)

gattaca
07-24-2011, 02:28 AM
If you watched space jam and saw when MJ dunked it from half court you would know its a 3points.
Its 3 points because its from where you jump. Lets say you shoot a 3 pointer but jump forard while doing so and release after the 3 point line its still a 3. So its not where ur hand leaves the ball, but where u jump.

correct.

There was a guy who used to jump from behind the 3 line and do a floater and the refs always counted it as a 3. This was highschool though. Dam, he practised that move all the time

gattaca
07-24-2011, 02:31 AM
i don't see the correlation between this and shooting a 3 but landing inside the 3 point line.

it's 2 points plain and simple. you get 3 points for shooting behind the line, 2 points for shooting inside. a dunk is a "shot" that occurs at the rim. since the player in this case is never actually "shooting" it wouldn't matter if he jumped from outside the stadium.

i'm not sure why people see this as that much different than a half-court alley-oop. in both cases the ball never touches the ground and is "dunked" at the rim.

In this scenario, the player who last tounched the ball jumped from inside the 3, making it 2 points for an alleyoop.

Anyway. A dunk from the 3 is impossible.

but it would still be a 3.

LosDoyers1
07-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Whoever does this should be awarded more than three points.

b_russ
07-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Just a 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY5AoBBH7cA

jon32
07-24-2011, 12:14 PM

/thread

GunFactor187
07-24-2011, 12:24 PM

:clap:

F*(&"Next Year"
07-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks for answering my question guys.

Im just gunna go by the poll:
20% of the time its a 2
88% of the time its a 3
and the remaining 43% of the time its a game breaker/lolwut.

Doogolas
07-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Three points. All that matters is where you leave the ground.

Ill21
07-24-2011, 02:06 PM

lmao

Shareeb_omac2
07-24-2011, 02:10 PM
There has to be someone out there that can hit layups after jumping from the 3 point line...

Anyone think we will see that in our lifetime?

Storch
07-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Its obviously an instant win. There is no other fair way to rate how much points a guy can get from dunking from the 3 point line.

jiggin
07-24-2011, 02:58 PM
I assume its been answered on here, but I am too lazy to dig though the pages.

The answer is, it would be a 3 pointer as it is where the players foot is when they leave the court, not where they are when the ball is released.

Not going to happen...free throw line and the back of that arc is amazing enough...if someone could slam from the 3 line, I think an investigation into their humanity would be in order.

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-24-2011, 04:29 PM
For a second I thought there was a video of someone doing that.

IndyRealist
07-24-2011, 05:57 PM
I know but it has to be released in mid air behind the 3 point line.

From someone who watched all of Reggie Miller's career, it does not have to be released mid-air behind the 3pt line to be considered a 3.

IndyRealist
07-24-2011, 06:01 PM

Because on an alley-oop the player who actually shoots the shot took off from inside the 3pt line.

By what your saying, if a player went to dunk and was fouled out of the air, it'd a non-shooting foul because he was never in the act of shooting.

MickeyMgl
07-25-2011, 05:51 AM
If Superman ever tried to dunk it from the 3-point line, the Hulk and The Thing would bodycheck him through the earth. No foul would be called, because this game would be played under superhero rules, which would include calling your own fouls, and Superman is too proud for that. So Spider-Man would pick up the loose ball and start a 3-on-1 break with Thor on one wing and Daredevil on the other. Batman is back to defend. Spidey passes it to Thor, who rides it up for a Mailman-esque dunk.... but Batman slides over, spreads his cape, and draws the charge.

So you see, the 3-point dunk could never happen.

THE WALL
07-25-2011, 06:05 AM

no! check this video. it was a 3 pointer ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AfJGwMQiXI&feature=related

Cool007
07-25-2011, 12:14 PM
I will answer it when it actually happens.

Which will NEVER happen.

AntiG
07-25-2011, 12:39 PM
if they can pull that off, just end the game. He wins. Not his team wins. He wins the MVP of all time.

Cowboys4Life619
07-25-2011, 01:23 PM
It's a 3...matter where you start the shot...doesn't matter where you end up..

DLeeicious
07-25-2011, 01:47 PM
I did this in a game a few weeks ago and the scorer's table gave me 3 points if that helps