PDA

View Full Version : NBA Mock Off-Season Playoffs - 1) LA Lakers vs. 8) LA Clippers

Mile High Champ
07-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the NBA Mock Off-season Playoff voting. Every summer, between 50-65 PSD users participate in a game where each GM takes on the challenge of running the off-season for an NBA team. Those GM's are free to make trades, signings, pick up team option on players, conduct the draft etc as ways to help better improve their team. What we have here is the results of those GM's hard-work as we have now reached the playoffs.

Keep in mind when voting that teams have changed dramatically through the mock and many teams are operating with completely new starting line ups. So please take the time to look at the teams closely (depth chart and write up) before voting. Try to avoid being a homer and vote simply on who is the better team in the match up.

1) LA Lakers vs. 8) LA Clippers

Lakers Have Home Court Advantage

Lakers Depth Chart

PG: Ty Lawson / Jordan Farmar / Bill Walker
SG: Kobe Bryant / Quentin Richardson / Magnum Rolle
SF: Tayshaun Prince /Nicolas Batum / Adam Morrison
PF: Zach Randolph / Kenyon Martin / Juwan Howard
C: Andrew Bynum / Nenad Krstic / Chris Wilcox

Clippers Depth Chart

Depth Chart:
PG: Rajon Rondo/Carlos Arroyo/Will Bynum
SG: Thabo Sefolosha/Landry Fields
SF: Dorrell Wright/Kyle Korver/Marvin Williams/Tyler Honeycutt
PF: Blake Griffin/ Jordan Hill
C: Joel Anthony/ Jermaine O'Neal

Lakers Write up

PG: Lawson vs Rondo
I'm not gonna lie, Rondo has an advantage here.But the cap between those guys isn't huge like some of us might think.Don't forget Rondo has played almost all of his career with 3 Hall of Famers.Lawson in the other end, was lighting up the scoreboards when Billups was traded.All of you probably remember when he hit 10 threes in a row in one game.The Lakers have always had trouble against quicker PGs during the Kobe-era, and now they have one of the fastest PG in the league in Lawson.Bringing Ty into the Lakers should help Kobe too.Remember the days when Kobe had too guard Rondo beacuse Fisher couldn't keep up with him.Lawson has all the speed to keep up with Rajon.

Stats: PER WS/48
Lawson 17.9 .153
Rondo 17.1 .126

SG: Bryant vs Sefolosha
Well this matchup is easily in favour of me.Sefolosha in my opinion is overrated as a defender, he's nowhere near the level of Battier or T.Allen.
Here's a link which shows you Bryant's and Sefolosha's head to head statistics.You can see theres in no dropoff in Kobe's production.23ppg, 5rpg, 5 apg on .442% shooting.

Bryant 23.9 .179
Sefolosha 10.4 .097

SF: Prince vs Wright
Prince has been known as a hard nose defender all of his NBA career.Replacing Artest with Tayshaun upgrades our offense a lot, theres no doubt that Prince will hit his open shots.Wright in the other hand, a guy who was bench player in a 47-35 Miami team, all of a sudden has a career year in a fast paced GS offense on a losing team.Suspect, isn't it?

Prince 15.1 .062
Wright 15.0 .088

PF: Randolph vs Griffin
Zach could be the best offensive PF in the league.He can do everything around the rim, has even a decent 3-point shot.Z-Bo isn't known as a good defender, but he isn't a horrible one either.As you can see we have a defensive anchor in the middle to hide Zach's weaknesses.Of course Griffin has gained a lot of reputation by winning a dunk contest and doing his flashy dunks every game, but he is still an unproven rookie in a losing team.Z-Bo had a fantastic year, leading the 8th seeded Grizzlies to the win over the 1st seeded Spurs.What's more significant? He was the #1 option in his team.Blake has still a lot to learn, while Zach is matured and playing his best basketball of his career.

Randolph 22.6 .185
Griffin 21.9 .152

C: Bynum vs Anthony
From where do I start? The great Joel Anthony, a player who has the honour of being a guy who has had multiple Triple-Zero games in his career.In case if you didn't know what triple-zero is, here you go - This is achieved by playing at least 20 minutes in a game and finishing with exactly zero points, zero rebounds and zero assists.
Bynum in the other hand does everything on the court, scores and rebounds really well for his position.It is crystal clear that he is ready to be a major piece in a contending team.Why I'm saying that?Because he was the Lakers 2nd best player during the last playoffs.

Bynum 21.1 .210
Anthony 7.3 .107

Lakers bench vs Clippers bench
Our major concern was Bynum's health, so the goal was to bring in a lot of depth to the frontcourt which we did it as you can see.We have 5 guys who can back up bynum in case something happens with him.Clippers have no scoring on the bench and not in the starting lineup too.We have guys like Richardson and Batum who can take over the scoring load when our starting five is on the bench.Major concern for the clippers is zero depth at C which is really bad, because O'Neal is pretty much done.Are they really gonna play Joel Anthony 35+ mpg?He would probably foul out before the 30 minute mark.
So, in other words our bench is clearly better than theirs, especially the frontcourt.

Clippers Write Up

First and foremost, let me congratulate the Los Angeles Lakers GMs for turning a successful team like the Lakers and maintaining their position at the top of the Western Conference.

Now, on to the match-up:

I could do a position by position breakdown, but as we all know, basketball championships are won by teams and not just talented individuals thrown together. One of the greatest advantages in the NBA playoffs is the team that is ranked higher has home-court advantage. However, as you probably already figured out, both teams play in the same building so there is no traveling to different arenas, and essentially it is a max of 7 home games for either side. The Clippers are notoriously bad on the road, but actually above league average at home.

A second point I would like to point out is teammate chemistry. The Clippers have players to fill every role you need. We have a primary ball-handler, a go-to scorer, lock-down defenders, three-point shooters, and all in all they are unselfish players who can contribute to the greater good of the team. On the other hand, you have the Hollywood LA Lakers led by the man, the legend, known as Kobe Bean Bryant. He is declining as was evidenced by his play in the last playoffs, and beside him you have players that don't compliment his half-court style.

Their point guard is fast-break speedster, Ty Lawson. He likes to get out and run n' gun, however, none of his team will be down there to assist him. Kobe, Zach, and Bynum are all half-court type of players and Prince isn't what he used to be as he is getting up their in age. Another knock against their chemistry is the fact that there is only one ball to go around, and the majority of the players on their team want the ball or they either aren't effective and/or they shut down and don't play well. Lawson should be the primary ball-handler, but will Kobe allow it? Will Kobe sacrifice touches to feed inside to BOTH Randolph and Bynum. Will Prince fit in the rhythm of their offense when Kobe has to worry about getting his own and feeding both of the twin towers inside? These are just a few questions that arise when looking at the Lakers team.

Now on to the defensive side of the ball; we have players that can and will match-up with the Lakers firepower. Rondo/Thabo is probably one of the best defensive backcourts in the entire NBA with both of these players being top defenders at their respective positions. Joel Anthony, AKA “The Warden” displayed his defensive prowess throughout the NBA playoffs when he was the low post presnece that propelled Miami to the NBA Finals. Griffin, as we all know isn't the greatest defender, but he still can be considered league-average. Going against Randolph will be a great challenge, but Blake is one of the most athletic players in the league and we have faith that he will use his athletic superiority to keep Randolph at bay. Lastly, Dorrell Wright is an athletic, lanky defender who is similar in the mold of a young Tayshawn Prince. He can shoot well, and since he will be guarding Prince, who at this point of his career is nothing more than a spot-up shooter, he won't have a lot of trouble locking him down when the ball does get into his hands.
Onto our side of the ball, we have a top 4/5 PG in Rajon Rondo and a top 6/7 PF in Blake Griffin, and these two guys will be the propellers to our offense. Rondo is one of, if not the best, passing point guard in the NBA. He maximizes the talents of the players around him and can make anyone look better than they actually are by putting them in positions to succeed. A Rondo-Griffin P&R will be the most unstoppable thing in the league. Then you have Thabo/Korver rotating at SG and both of these players are good 3 point shooters, and in the case of Korver, a great 3 point shooter. Wright has superior slashing ability and he can finish at the rim with the best of them. Wright is also a 3 point shooter who will hit shots when the ball is in his hand and the defense has collapsed to stop Rondo. Joel Anthony can expect a few easy baskets on O-Rebounds and Rondo penetration. Now, you may think that the Lakers can shut down my players, but I would like to think otherwise. Rondo has the ability to drive on any PG in the league, and doing so against a shorter Ty Lawson shouldn't present that big of a problem. Kobe will probably be on Thabo and that would essentially take Kobe's defensive talents away as Thabo would only be cutting to the basket or spotting up for the 3. Wright will be guarded by Prince who while being lanky, is a bit slower and the explosive Wright should be able to get the step on him. Z-Bo is a notoriously lazy/bad defender and falling asleep while guarding BG is essentially giving the Clippers 2 points for free. Bynum will be guarding Joel Anthony, and while he isn't the best offensive player, he will make Bynum expend energy by working him on the glass and down in the paint.

To go into the second unit, I think I can safely say we have one of the deepest benches in the league, while the Lakers are only 6-7 players deep. Our second-unit consists of a good-ball handler, and good 3 point shooter in Arroyo, two good SG's who can come in and score if they get hot in both Fields and Korver, a SF in Marvin Williams who was just starting for the Hawks team that took down the Magic in the most recent play-offs, young and upcoming PF in Hill, and a wily veteran who knows his way down in the post in Jermaine O'Neal. The Lakers second unit has one big name, just one, and his name is Nicholas Batum who is an excellent SF and IMO should be starting over Prince. The rest of the second unit leaves something to be desired. Kenyon Martin is a glass figure and is a shell of his former self. Nenad Kristic who only registered 22 minutes a game last year and is also an injury risk. Their back-court is made up of Jordan Farmar who is a good player and can work in their rotation, and Q-Rich who only played 16 minutes a game last year. As you can see, their level of play would take an enormous drop-off when any of their starters sans Prince needs a rest.

Thanks for reading the write-up, and good luck to the Lakers.

MiamiWadeCounty
07-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Very good write-ups by both teams, however I am still going to have to pick the Lakers. The Clippers in my opinion are relying on Griffin to dominate every game while the Lakers have the luxury of having Z-bo and Kobe who can get 20+ as well as Lawson and Bynum who can get 10-15 each.

sep11ie
07-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Lakers here. Clips are still about 2 or 3 players(Center, SHOOTER, backup center) away from compteing in that series.

LakersIn5
07-22-2011, 11:29 AM
lakers in 4 games. plus batum as 6th man for the lakers makes it lakers in 3

Mile High Champ
07-22-2011, 11:32 AM
I love this Lakers team and I have said it from the start. I love the additons of Lawson & Prince to the starting line up. Two gigantic upgrades to their line up. I really think the Clippers made some good points in their write up but in the end there is just way too much talent for the Clippers to handle.

jimbobjarree
07-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Lakers. I still see them as favorites for the whole thing.

mttwlsn16
07-22-2011, 12:01 PM
clippers sweep

tyfreaks brotha
07-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Wow this is actually a pretty good matchup... I go with the Clippers. Rondo can easily cause Ty Lawson some problems and his main game is running up the court. Kobe or Randolph won't want to either lol. Thabo can cause problems for Kobe. He's pretty good playing man to man defense. Wright and Prince is a wash. Griffin is up against Randolph.... Yikes. Randolph isn't the best defender and Griffin is athletic, strong, and has a decent shot. Bynum wins the center advantage obviously

Sly Guy
07-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Lakers. Key being Rondo, I just don't see him being enough of a scorer to be able to do it all himself. I'm a big Grif fan, but Grif/Sef as a combination to pass the ball to is a lot worse than Allen/KG/Pierce, and I think that would make Rondo suffer. Worse, is that I don't see another player on that roster able to distribute, or enough one on one players to generate their own shots. The level of play on that clipper's team won't reflect the talent on their roster.

I'm not a fan of the Laker's lineup, Bynum is oft injured, Prince is on the downside, as is Kobe [not all the way there yet but starting to show it], and I think their bench is a little thin.

rapjuicer06
07-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Rondo has a poor mans Celtics team around him if you look at it. I love it, didn't see it before I voted. (Sorry JWE) But Rondo with Korver, Wright and Griffin are similar to Allen, Pierce and Garnett. And to have a guy who can bother Kobe in Thabo...I could honestly see this going to 7 games for the pure fact that I hate Kobe and ZBO being with a speedy PG. I'm going with the Clippers

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-22-2011, 12:53 PM
I'd say the Lakers but the Clippers could make it an interesting series.

Sportfan
07-22-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm still dreading the Kobe+Randolph combo

Clips can make it interesting but Lakers have too much talent

Mile High Champ
07-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Clippers have managed to get some votes in this, kind of surprised but good for them.

John Walls Era
07-22-2011, 02:13 PM
6 Votes Baby :cool:

LosDoyers1
07-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Lakers take this series easily and I don't think it's close. Their starting lineup is better and their bench is much deeper.

John Walls Era
07-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Lakers take this series easily and I don't think it's close. Their starting lineup is better and their bench is much deeper.

No ****. Thats why they're the 1 seed.

ABOMB_56
07-22-2011, 02:56 PM
6 votes, whadddupp!

ABOMB_56
07-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Kind of surprising the only two posters saying this would be a blowout are the obvious Laker fans :rolleyes:

And while the Lakers had a good write-up, saying our bench has no offense when it consists of Fields/Korver/Williams is laughable

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Kind of surprising the only two posters saying this would be a blowout are the obvious Laker fans :rolleyes:

And while the Lakers had a good write-up, saying our bench has no offense when it consists of Fields/Korver/Williams is laughable

Are u kidding me?

Sixerlover
07-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Lakers win. Post advantage, perimeter advantage, better bench. At least every game would be in the same city, so the media wouldn't have to travel :p

ABOMB_56
07-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Are u kidding me?

He shot 50% from the field 40% from 3, and his per 36 is around 13 points, so no I am not kidding you.

Chacarron
07-22-2011, 03:21 PM
I just want to point out that the addition of Zach Randolph is very beneficial. There is no denying that Kobe gets his every game, but what happens when the buckets aren't going in? He has to defer to his teammates and this newly improved Lakers squad gives Kobe better offensive options. Z-Bo is a monster on the low block and his ability to score in the paint will relieve some of the pressure from Kobe to score. We saw Pau Gasol struggle in the post this past playoffs because he is a finesse player. Randolph is a banger with the ability to step out for the 18 foot jumper.

greg_ory_2005
07-22-2011, 04:12 PM
I would love to see Kobe and Zbo on the same team in real life. :laugh2:

John Walls Era
07-22-2011, 04:14 PM
I just want to point out that the addition of Zach Randolph is very beneficial. There is no denying that Kobe gets his every game, but what happens when the buckets aren't going in? He has to defer to his teammates and this newly improved Lakers squad gives Kobe better offensive options. Z-Bo is a monster on the low block and his ability to score in the paint will relieve some of the pressure from Kobe to score. We saw Pau Gasol struggle in the post this past playoffs because he is a finesse player. Randolph is a banger with the ability to step out for the 18 foot jumper.

I'll like to say that Lakers should win, but realistically Kobe would keep shooting even if hes missing. Shoots until he makes and makes until he misses.

rapjuicer06
07-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Could maybe the reason why Gasol struggled was because Kobe was a ball hog? Just asking :D

mightybosstone
07-22-2011, 04:23 PM
This is a much better series than people are giving it credit for and a very intriguing 1v8 matchup. However, I think the Lakers' frontcourt is way too much for the Clippers to handle. I'm also extremely impressed with the Lakers depth (although Morrison probably shouldn't be on any NBA roster).

I think the LA atmosphere will make this series a little closer than it possibly should be and Griffin and Rondo are talented enough to steal a single game, but overall the Lakers win in five and win at least one or two blowouts.

Chacarron
07-22-2011, 04:24 PM
I'll like to say that Lakers should win, but realistically Kobe would keep shooting even if hes missing. Shoots until he makes and makes until he misses.

I'm glad somebody said this. The reason he keeps shooting is because his teammates can't get anything done. They run down the clock without creating any chances and throw the ball to Kobe to bail them out. Fisher and Artest always looked for Kobe when they got the ball off the post unless they had the open shot. Now, the Lakers have Ty Lawson who can make plays off the dribble and Zach Randolph who will not be getting pushed around in the post.

Chacarron
07-22-2011, 04:25 PM
This is a much better series than people are giving it credit for and a very intriguing 1v8 matchup. However, I think the Lakers' frontcourt is way too much for the Clippers to handle. I'm also extremely impressed with the Lakers depth (although Morrison probably shouldn't be on any NBA roster).

I think the LA atmosphere will make this series a little closer than it possibly should be and Griffin and Rondo are talented enough to steal a single game, but overall the Lakers win in five and win at least one or two blowouts.

Morrison won't get playing time, he's just there for high-fiving purposes.

PocketKings
07-22-2011, 04:51 PM
As much as I really like the Clippers team, I think a Rondo + Griffin duo would be phenomenal with the shooters they have... the Lakers might be just too big and too deep for them.

KnicksorBust
07-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Clippers have a bright future but they need to upgrade significantly at the center position before they can get anywhere.

Tree Rollins
07-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Lakers in 4 or 5.

Who gets it done in crunch time for the Clippers? Rondo can't shoot jumpers or free throws, he's a non-factor in crunch time. Wright isn't as good as his numbers from last season b/c he was playing in GS, so he is probably a bit overrated. Basically, you have to give it to Griffin when you have to have a bucket. And the length of LA (Bynum, Randolph, Batum, Prince) will bother him in those situations. Randolph and Kobe will get it done in the 4th quarter if it ever comes down to it.

ABOMB_56
07-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Clippers have a bright future but they need to upgrade significantly at the center position before they can get anywhere.

I wanted LBJ and that threw a curveball in our plans :sigh:

KnicksorBust
07-22-2011, 05:47 PM
I wanted LBJ and that threw a curveball in our plans :sigh:

I know. If you recall I addressed this in my PRs. Having your Plan B as a best future team who gets bumped by the Lakers is still not a bad Mock in my mind.