PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Silly Season Thread

gatkins11
07-22-2011, 04:08 AM
With "silly season" approaching, where do you all think the marquee free agents will end up?

Carl Edwards [contract ends 2011]
Clint Bowyer [contract ends 2011]
Mark Martin [Kahne takes over #5 in 2012]
Ryan Newman [contract ends 2011]
Juan Pablo Montoya [contract ends 2011]
Danica Patrick [contract ends 2011]
Elliott Sadler [to Nationwide KHI in 2011]
Scott Speed [no ride in 2011]
Brian Vickers [contract ends 2011]

Source: jayski.com

Bucsfan
07-23-2011, 09:18 PM
im not super informed on all the stuff going on, but ill give my thoughts just from watching races

Carl Edwards [contract ends 2011]---I think he stays with roush, dont think he will go to joe gibbs racing
Mark Martin [Kahne takes over #5 in 2012]---no idea, im sure will drive, but not with hendrick
Ryan Newman [contract ends 2011]-stays with stewart haas
Juan Pablo Montoya [contract ends 2011] stays with the same team
Danica Patrick [contract ends 2011]---Will go fulltime nationwide, only a few races in sprint cup, wouldnt mind her on hendrick, but kahne already has that spot
Elliott Sadler [to Nationwide KHI in 2011]---same, mixes cwts and nationwide
Scott Speed [no ride in 2011]-nationwide part time
Brian Vickers [contract ends 2011]-nationwide full time

NC_RaiderFan5
07-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Mark is most likely going to be with whatever version of the current Red Bull team exists next year. Brian Vickers will most likely remain with that team as well. I believe Jack Roush is going to have to break the bank to keep Carl. If he doesn't Carl will bolt. Paying drivers well is not something Roush is known for, so I will go ahead and say Carl to Gibbs. I can't see Ryan Newman going anywhere, especially after that win. Newman stays with Stewart-Haas. I say the same for Juan Pablo Motoya. Montoya is the face of Ganassi, no way he leaves in my opinion. I think Elliott Sadler will remain in the Nationwide Series next year with KHI, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see KHI go to Cup in 2013 with Elliott. As for Danica, she has made some improvements this year, so I think the time is right for her to make the jump to full-time NNS. As for Speed, if a mid-level NNS or CWTS ride opens up, he might be the man for the job.

ripjhb18
07-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Carl Edwards [contract ends 2011]- Just to make it a bit more interesting, I am going to say to the #20 with Joey to a 4th car. Home Depot has to love the idea of Carl as Jimmie has been cashing it in for Lowes.

Mark Martin [Kahne takes over #5 in 2012]- Phoenix racing maybe? Im not sure with the questions around Red Bull. Sure wish he would end up back with Roush though.

Ryan Newman [contract ends 2011]- Not leaving Stewart-Hass.

Juan Pablo Montoya [contract ends 2011]- Same, not leaving.

Danica Patrick [contract ends 2011]-JR Motorsport full time, maybe a 5th Hendrick car for a few races, I have seen you can have a 5th car for young/developmental drivers. Not sure if she qualifies for that.

Elliott Sadler [to Nationwide KHI in 2011]- Staying down, especially if he doesn't win the title.

Scott Speed [no ride in 2011]-No idea, don't really care.

Brian Vickers [contract ends 2011]-Possibly RCR I would say. If Red Bull stays around in some form, he is an obvious choice.

You left out Clint Bowyer though, who would leave the whole at RCR for Roush if Carl leaves and they keep Ricky and Trevor down.

Pretty much it is all on Carl leaving or not. If he doesn't there won't be much movement.

gatkins11
07-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Carl Edwards [contract ends 2011]- Just to make it a bit more interesting, I am going to say to the #20 with Joey to a 4th car. Home Depot has to love the idea of Carl as Jimmie has been cashing it in for Lowes.

Mark Martin [Kahne takes over #5 in 2012]- Phoenix racing maybe? Im not sure with the questions around Red Bull. Sure wish he would end up back with Roush though.

Ryan Newman [contract ends 2011]- Not leaving Stewart-Hass.

Juan Pablo Montoya [contract ends 2011]- Same, not leaving.

Danica Patrick [contract ends 2011]-JR Motorsport full time, maybe a 5th Hendrick car for a few races, I have seen you can have a 5th car for young/developmental drivers. Not sure if she qualifies for that.

Elliott Sadler [to Nationwide KHI in 2011]- Staying down, especially if he doesn't win the title.

Scott Speed [no ride in 2011]-No idea, don't really care.

Brian Vickers [contract ends 2011]-Possibly RCR I would say. If Red Bull stays around in some form, he is an obvious choice.

You left out Clint Bowyer though, who would leave the whole at RCR for Roush if Carl leaves and they keep Ricky and Trevor down.

Pretty much it is all on Carl leaving or not. If he doesn't there won't be much movement.

Just noticed that, thanks. I actually copied this list from Jayski.

Interesting about Martin to Phoenix Racing. That could be a possibility, maybe James Finch will allow him to have an ownership stake in the team?

ripjhb18
07-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Just noticed that, thanks. I actually copied this list from Jayski.

Interesting about Martin to Phoenix Racing. That could be a possibility, maybe James Finch will allow him to have an ownership stake in the team?

Jayski may have not mentioned it because today he reported Clint is close to signing back there.

If Mark was interested I think that could be a possibility. Same could be said for Red Bull if someone comes in to try to keep that together.