PDA

View Full Version : NBA players signing Euro contracts, good or bad for the NBA?

OBredskin
07-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Simple question:

Do you think the recent players signing contracts with overseas teams mostly due to the lockout good or bad for the NBA...or does it not affect?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-21-2011, 06:46 PM
I think it's bad for the NBA seeing it's players go to Europle while they can't do anything about it because of the lockout.

NYKalltheway
07-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Kobe will sign tomorrow to follow Deron ;)

Bruno
07-21-2011, 07:35 PM
I think it's good. It just gives the players a bit more sway in the discussion, and it might help the lockout end sooner than later.

And if it doesn't, at least we still will get to watch some of the best players in the world play ball.

OBredskin
07-22-2011, 06:10 AM
I think it's good. It just gives the players a bit more sway in the discussion, and it might help the lockout end sooner than later.

And if it doesn't, at least we still will get to watch some of the best players in the world play ball.

I disagree, I think it's bad. The Euro is worth more than the dollar and if players start basing their income on the value of the Euro...I can only imagine the backlash of the NBA trying to reduce salaries.

Also, if the Euro league starts giving 'guaranteed' contracts, it may definitely spell trouble for the NBA, and advertisements, endorsements (maybe not so much)...overall success of the NBA and it's affiliates. I mean who's going to buy a Kobe Turkish jersey?

Luke0842
07-22-2011, 07:04 AM
If I liked Kobe as a player, I would buy a Kobe Turkish jersey in a heart beat.

gwrighter
07-22-2011, 07:28 AM
How many players have actually signed contracts overseas at this point? Not very many, none of the superstars have. Their using Europe more as a bargaining chip than anything else. Goddamn these NBA players don't even like to play in Toronto, you think they will enjoy playing in Europe? Besides only some players will actually get a reasonable contract overseas. The best European teams play in stadiums half the size of current NBA stadiums. But to answer your question it is of course bad for the NBA, although i believe that in the end nothing major will really happen.