PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Dubinsky Re-Signed

gabby10
07-21-2011, 11:14 AM
no information given on length or money... posted on @thenyrangers twitter account this morning

commonsense12
07-21-2011, 11:16 AM
heard it was 4 yrs at 4.2 per year

commonsense12
07-21-2011, 11:17 AM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=569808&navid=mod-rr-headlines

yup 4 yrs 4.2 per year

commonsense12
07-21-2011, 11:19 AM
In all honesty i knew with the increased cap situation he was going to get a lot more and especially with the crazy contracts that were being handed. With that being said i guess this is not that terrible looking at those other deals.

Bellz
07-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Now lock up Cally for 4/5 years

gabby10
07-21-2011, 11:25 AM
ughhh.. way too much money.. all star players 7 years ago were barely making $5 million.. now just about everyone is making 2-4..

Rangers331
07-21-2011, 11:25 AM
4.2 isn't great but they really wanted to get it done before arbitration and I', happy Dubinsky is staying a Ranger for at least another 4 years. I only see him getting better each year.

beast023
07-21-2011, 11:39 AM
love that they signed him for another 4 years, however if they sign cally for the same thing, and eminger as a 6/7 d-man for say 800k and assuming mdz and erixon are 5 and 6 we are over the cap (just for the sake of filling out the roster), we are over the cap... i feel the trade/buyout winds blowing

gabby10
07-21-2011, 11:40 AM
i guess you're right, but he's gonna cap off his abilities in a matter of years.. who knows, this may have been the best year of his career

bsi
07-21-2011, 11:56 AM
In all honesty i knew with the increased cap situation he was going to get a lot more and especially with the crazy contracts that were being handed. With that being said i guess this is not that terrible looking at those other deals.

Are you backtracking a lil bit? lol. Great to see him resigned atleast, now to get Cally done. Excited for the coming year. Go Rangers.

Isca92
07-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Are we really saying 4.2 is to high? Really he led the team in points last year and is second behind Gabs for the last 2 seasons. Yet we dont want to buyout Wolski cause he has potential.

dashripdot
07-21-2011, 12:04 PM
ughhh.. way too much money.. all star players 7 years ago were barely making $5 million.. now just about everyone is making 2-4..

Yeah, but the cap was under $40 mil then.

bsi
07-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah, but the cap was under $40 mil then.

Something has to be done with the floor of the cap system and they have to stop changing the cap every year, lock it in for 5 years or something and then change it.

dashripdot
07-21-2011, 12:14 PM
love that they signed him for another 4 years, however if they sign cally for the same thing, and eminger as a 6/7 d-man for say 800k and assuming mdz and erixon are 5 and 6 we are over the cap (just for the sake of filling out the roster), we are over the cap... i feel the trade/buyout winds blowing

Capgeek has Rangers at $10.6 in available cap space. Subtracting Dubinsky's $4.2 and Callahan ($4.2 for sake of argument), leaves them with $2.2. Capgeek already lists MDZ, but not Erixon's $1.85, so that leaves only $35,000, but they also list 12 forwards (excluding Dubinsky and Callahan). I doubt they carry 14 forwards. Yeah, add Eminger at about $900,000 and subtract whichever forward(s) from that group who doesn't make the team out of camp. They could still do a buy out on August 1 if they need more flexibility.

dashripdot
07-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Something has to be done with the floor of the cap system and they have to stop changing the cap every year, lock it in for 5 years or something and then change it.

Then the league will have to stop making money. The cap and floor are tied to annual revenues through escalator clauses negotiated and agreed to by both sides. Those teams who have to make silly signings this year to get to the floor were underspending to begin with, and it showed (Avs, Isles, Panthers). It likely will change in the next CBA, but not as drastically as many people think. For instance, in the NFL's current negotiations, reports are that their floor will be close to 100% (96% - 98%) of the cap to force the cheap owners to use their revenues for team-related purposes.

bsi
07-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Then the league will have to stop making money. The cap and floor are tied to annual revenues through escalator clauses negotiated and agreed to by both sides. Those teams who have to make silly signings this year to get to the floor were underspending to begin with, and it showed (Avs, Isles, Panthers). It likely will change in the next CBA, but not as drastically as many people think.

Oh ya I realize how it's done but maybe instead of just spending it all every year they bank it for bad times, donate to minor hockey or use it for grants for upgrade to arena's etc etc so the ticket prices don't continue to chase the salaries and team expenses. At some point this model is going to fail, I guess it is in certain markets and we're gonna have what we have in Toronto where it's only the rich that can afford to watch the games and families have to take out a mortgage to go. The hockey atmosphere is slowly dying in Toronto as suited big wigs buy up the seats and either rarely use them or have 0 interest in the game itself. Just my two cents.

NYR_NYJ
07-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Good signing.
Good contract for a guy who is a leader and solid on both ends,plus he's only 25.

commonsense12
07-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Are you backtracking a lil bit? lol. Great to see him resigned atleast, now to get Cally done. Excited for the coming year. Go Rangers.

No not at all. When we originally discussed his contract it was before the cap increased 5 mill. As we saw soon after the cap increased players got a ton more money. Its just common sense that more cap room for more teams allows players to get more money.

That extra 5 mill the rangers had allowed dubi to get an extra mill imo

J4KOP99
07-21-2011, 01:41 PM
If he got this without arbitration, what the hell WOULD they have rewarded him with? It is a little high compared to certain contracts over the last few years but I still feel like this is a decent deal.

I'm looking forward to this upcoming season... just gotta get Cally on board now.

ElementCo27
07-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I think it's a fair contract considering his place on this team. Like someone else said in this thread, he was our top scorer with leads in assists and goals and is also a vocal player who does provide his skill. I feel that next season there is only one direction for Dubinsky to go and that is up. Especially the raise he just got and the fact that Sather didn't let it go to arbitration shows that the organization wants him there, so hopefully he'll see that as a way to put his money where his mouth is and have an even better season.

RangersMets
07-21-2011, 03:38 PM
The way the contract is staggered is appropriate because it accounts for cap inflation as well as expected production.

3.75 the first 2 years and 4.65 the last 2 years.

Also, the last 2 years of this contract are UFA years for Dubinsky, it costs money to buy UFA years.

Let's hope that Callahan doesn't get a 4 year contract because then we would have Dubinsky, Staal and Callahan as UFA's all in the same year.

Rangers in 7
07-21-2011, 07:09 PM
4.2 is a bit too much personally....but all in all a good signing

runnermjr1296
07-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Good news,lets sing Cally and fast forward to October!

freddy686
07-21-2011, 10:54 PM
I agree 4 mill is a little steep .. i like him though he skates hard and has true grit.. makes some nice moves and can move away from defenders fast .. like to see his goal total to go up .. to earn that 4 mill .. was the leading scorer on our team cuz we had noone else ... gabby was cold all year , cally hurt and prospal.. unfortunately wolski making like 4 mil also .. sucks to see him go , but he would leave us with no cap flexability and every team needs it in case of injurys ... so looks like wolski is on his way out ...