PDA

View Full Version : Why does the WNBA even exist?

metfan22
07-21-2011, 07:50 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkw/7596654.html

The Conn Sun last year became the first WNBA team to actually make money. Why does such a league exist?

gwrighter
07-21-2011, 07:52 AM
must be by preference of the owners. there has to be a couple of rich dude's daughter's who are good enough to play in the WNBA. & thus their fathers buy & sustain the teams.:shrug:

Kinkotheclown
07-21-2011, 08:16 AM
They complained about TV time a couple of years ago. They wanted better time slots and wanted to know why they didn't get them. Am ESPN head stood in front of the room and told them that now one watched them so they were in the slots they had available.
Its also a huge a way of marketing athletic gear and like products to women and girls.
I think women are great athletes and accomplished at their sports. I just think the WNBA is boring and have no desire to watch.
Someone is watching them. Just not me.

synister281
07-21-2011, 09:14 AM
I think women are great athletes and accomplished at their sports. I just think the WNBA is boring and have no desire to watch.
Someone is watching them. Just not me.

Well stated.

nycsports2
07-21-2011, 09:27 AM
bc womans rights are in effect and if they took it away it would be a huge pain

Sly Guy
07-21-2011, 09:29 AM
I've tried to watch a few games. Being a guy who's also a fan of tennis, and a guy who likes to watch fundamental basketball, I'm probably someone who's more likely to watch the WNBA than most. Considering women should be equally good playing against each other when it comes to defense, floor spacing, moving the ball etc, I try to watch, but then I see the players do some half brained things on the court I'd be screaming at NBA players for and get frustrated, and then stop.

Slug3
07-21-2011, 10:14 AM
It really depends I think. I know not many people watch it, I know I have a hard time watching it but my daughter who is 6 has recently gotten in to watching Basketball with me and now likes to watch WNBA games. I guess just another thing a father has to do for their kids. Watch WNBA games. Beers usually make things a little easier.

Mile High Champ
07-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Simple answer.

Affirmative Action

3ballbomber
07-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I think if marketed right or prioritized better marketing & publicity it would do alright. If people are willing to watch people do nothing in these reality shows surely their are even more that would want to watch women compete in sports at it's highest level.

tredigs
07-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure the NBA keeps the WNBA on life support by supplementing their financial losses. How much this costs (or how much of the actual leagues revenue it accounts for - remember, different than owners revenue) I am not sure. But realistically, they should get off the NBA's teet at some point if they still are sustaining their league primarily because of that.

Personally, there's certain womens tennis and beach volleyball games (especially big opens, or Olympic volleyball) that I like to watch (and no reason to bs, half the appeal is that some are hot and in little to nothing), but outside of that it's tough.

Overtime of the Brazil/US match was awesome soccer, but the stage has to be pretty huge for me to get into a US women's match.

MrfadeawayJB
07-21-2011, 12:12 PM
title 9

NYKalltheway
07-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Women sports are fine...

You guys need to get over the "league loses money" bubble. Who ****ing cares if they lose money or not? Why on earth are there sports around the world you think??? Nobody in the world besides a few exceptions has a team to make him money. And no league is collective in terms of splitting earnings. Each team on its own. And they can get by. Earning money is the last thing that people should care about sports. Just watch if you like, if not, let those who like it watch and don't judge...

blahblahyoutoo
07-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I've tried to watch a few games. Being a guy who's also a fan of tennis, and a guy who likes to watch fundamental basketball, I'm probably someone who's more likely to watch the WNBA than most. Considering women should be equally good playing against each other when it comes to defense, floor spacing, moving the ball etc, I try to watch, but then I see the players do some half brained things on the court I'd be screaming at NBA players for and get frustrated, and then stop.

at least some of the women in tennis are attractive and wear skirts when playing.

the wnba women are just butch.

NetsPaint
07-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Women sports are fine...

You guys need to get over the "league loses money" bubble. Who ****ing cares if they lose money or not? Why on earth are there sports around the world you think??? Nobody in the world besides a few exceptions has a team to make him money. And no league is collective in terms of splitting earnings. Each team on its own. And they can get by. Earning money is the last thing that people should care about sports. Just watch if you like, if not, let those who like it watch and don't judge...
haha Yeah. These rich businesses losing money doesn't mean they're not extremely wealthy.

I rarely watch the WNBA. A lot of the players chuck worse than the worst chuckers in the WNBA it seems. However, the best of the best women players deserve to have a league of their own. Besides, it helps them develop and gives women inspiration to become better. Athletically and toughness wise their capable. There's WNBA players who are better than NBA players.

DeyAce
07-21-2011, 12:54 PM
too boring to watch

sep11ie
07-21-2011, 01:06 PM
So Lebron has somewhere to play during lock outs...

PurpleJesus
07-21-2011, 01:25 PM
to show young women athletes that they really can be whatever they want to be.

metfan22
07-21-2011, 01:34 PM
So Lebron has somewhere to play during lock outs...

I like that.

JWO35
07-21-2011, 01:48 PM
The better question is why the hell is it on National Television? I'd rather watch Women's Soccer, it's more exciting and the women are hotter..

Women's sports in general is pretty good(tennis, softball, soccer)

PZeef
07-21-2011, 01:48 PM
The WNBA is not the reason for the NBA lockout. Is the NBA losing money from the WNBA? yeah, but they are losing far more money from the majority of the NBA teams, 22 out of 30 to be exact. I suggest we get rid of all of those NBA teams and have a 8 team league!

Stop being so insecure with your sexuality that you have to constantly joke about a womenzz league to show how "manly" you are.

smith&wesson
07-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I dunno, i love watching candace

iliketurtles24
07-21-2011, 02:52 PM
What's the argument here? NBA, WNBA. One is a sport. One is a joke. I love sports. I love jokes. Room for all. dwight

Shmontaine
07-21-2011, 03:31 PM
it's a glorified extra-curricular activity sport... the nba supports the wnba and nbadl... get rid of both of these useless leagues and we could be closer to ending the lockout... trim the fat, people... drop the dead weight...

chicago lulz
07-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Why do people care so much to question its existence?

Shmontaine
07-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Why do people care so much to question its existence?

when the major reason for it's operation is based upon support of the nba, i think it's fair to question why the nba is locked out because the teams can't afford to operate, yet this league is still active and games are being played. i don't care that much, but i think it's a fair question to ask..

ClayMatthews
07-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Ive been wondering the same question for many years. Cant name any teams, very few players come to mind, dont even know when the season is, nor do i know who has won any of finals. The only time i ever hear about the WNBA is when its used as a joke. Which it is.

Tony_Starks
07-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Because lesbians enjoy their sports too! But hey Im not complaining, as long as they have Candace Parker then the WNBA is all good with me!!

TopsyTurvy
07-21-2011, 05:04 PM
The WNBA exists for the same reason any professional sport exists - there's a niche market demand for it. It's no different than the Arena Football league, minor league baseball (non MLB affiliated) or club/regional sport leagues.

GoPacers33
07-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Idk hahaha

PZeef
07-21-2011, 05:43 PM
it's a glorified extra-curricular activity sport... the nba supports the wnba and nbadl... get rid of both of these useless leagues and we could be closer to ending the lockout... trim the fat, people... drop the dead weight...

The WNBA has little to no affect on the NBA and its lockout. In fact read this article

http://www.slamonline.com/online/other-ballers/womens/2011/07/stop-blaming-the-wnba-for-the-nba-lockout/

Can you show me an article that has solid proof that the WNBA is partly to blame for the NBA lockout?

You want to know the real cause of the NBA lockout?
Bobcats
Grizzlies
Jazz
Raptors
Timberwolves
Warriors
and
The rest of the small market teams
and
Eddy Curry ;)

If the WNBA drained that much money from the NBA, they would of shut it down already.

Or maybe the NBA should just add the Connecticut Sun to the NBA and drop the rest of the WNBA and 22 NBA teams that are actual cause of the NBA loss in Revenue and lockout.

chicago lulz
07-21-2011, 05:58 PM
when the major reason for it's operation is based upon support of the nba, i think it's fair to question why the nba is locked out because the teams can't afford to operate, yet this league is still active and games are being played. i don't care that much, but i think it's a fair question to ask..
I thought it was pretty clear why the nba is locked out. Because the owners and players can't seem to come to an agreement. They may be losing money, supporting the WNBA, but it's not like the NBA has been doing well these past years. I believe there was some article mentioning something along the lines of losing a large sum of money this past season or pasts seasons.

Because lesbians enjoy their sports too! But hey Im not complaining, as long as they have Candace Parker then the WNBA is all good with me!!
Does that make NBA players homosexuals?

BlitzBlud4
07-23-2011, 03:58 PM
I dont understand the hate for the WNBA. It isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, it isn't as exciting as the NBA but the females do have skill.

BlitzBlud4
07-23-2011, 03:59 PM
And not to be a homer but anyone watching the WNBA allstar game? It's on right now on ABC

Tony_Starks
07-23-2011, 05:28 PM
I thought it was pretty clear why the nba is locked out. Because the owners and players can't seem to come to an agreement. They may be losing money, supporting the WNBA, but it's not like the NBA has been doing well these past years. I believe there was some article mentioning something along the lines of losing a large sum of money this past season or pasts seasons.

Does that make NBA players homosexuals?

Outside of Chris Bosh and Kevin Garnett that would be a negative.

edit*

btw your question made no sense. Lots of players in the WNBA are openly homosexual and I don't know if you've ever attended a game but it's pretty much a dikefest.......