PDA

View Full Version : Could kevin garnett have won a championship with the wolves if he had a better gm?

knicks4life33
07-20-2011, 09:34 PM
I 110% feel the timberwolves could have won a championship if it wasnt for bad managment and if they were willing to spend. Kevin garnett was a beast when he was on the t wolves and how do you not surround a player like him with talent and im not talking about a aging cassell and sprewell. He def could have wont at least not 1 but maybe even 2 if surrounded with other players. At least the cavaliers were trading for people to get lebron players . Seemed like the twolves werent looking to make any moves to adjust .

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-20-2011, 09:55 PM
In 04 if they had another good/great player to go along with him, they could/would have been the champs.

dnl123
07-20-2011, 10:08 PM
I remember as a wolves fan every single year around the trade deadline really hoping that the wolves would make a move for a T-Mac, Vince Carter, or Allen Iverson. IMO all the wolves needed was a scorer, KG wasn't a first option. He did everything well and is an amazing #2 option.

Slug3
07-20-2011, 10:11 PM
He did have Sprewell and Sam Cassell for a bit and they both were pretty much around their primes. Not to mention that team got something decent out of Szczerbiak as well, and thats saying a lot. They had their chances.

Hawkeye15
07-20-2011, 10:23 PM
If Cassell's hip didn't go out, they had a great chance anyways.

But yes, with a GM who didn't trade draft picks like candy, or give KG a trillion dollar deal in his mid 20's, they would have contended.

Oh well

210Don
07-20-2011, 10:26 PM
if he had a better post up and actually played like a big man maybe.

theheatles
07-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Shaq and Tim Duncan say no as well

NBAfan4life
07-20-2011, 10:51 PM
They almost beat the Lakers. If they would of made a better move or two it is quite possible. I really think a better GM would of brought a championship to MN

topdog
07-20-2011, 11:05 PM
If Cassell's hip didn't go out, they had a great chance anyways.

But yes, with a GM who didn't trade draft picks like candy, or give KG a trillion dollar deal in his mid 20's, they would have contended.

Oh well

What was that he dropped on the Lakers? Something like 40 for the win?

mynameismo
07-20-2011, 11:11 PM
1) Drafted Ray Allen -> Traded for Stephon Marbury
2) Joe Smith Deal -> Void Contract + Loss 3 1st rd Picks
3) Wally Szczerbiak 10M+ a year contract
4) Signing a 21/22 years old KG to a 126M contract
5) Contract extension issues with Sprewell, Cassell and Hudson
6) Firing of Coach Flip Saunders mid season
7) Drafted Brandon Roy -> Traded for Randy Foye

Those are just from the top of my head.
Yes, KG would've gotten at least 1.

Hawkeye15
07-20-2011, 11:13 PM
What was that he dropped on the Lakers? Something like 40 for the win?

Sam? That was the Kings

knicks4life33
07-20-2011, 11:16 PM
if he had a better post up and actually played like a big man maybe.

i hope your joking with this post

SpeeMN
07-20-2011, 11:37 PM
1) Drafted Ray Allen -> Traded for Stephon Marbury
2) Joe Smith Deal -> Void Contract + Loss 3 1st rd Picks
3) Wally Szczerbiak 10M+ a year contract
4) Signing a 21/22 years old KG to a 126M contract
5) Contract extension issues with Sprewell, Cassell and Hudson
6) Firing of Coach Flip Saunders mid season
7) Drafted Brandon Roy -> Traded for Randy Foye

Those are just from the top of my head.
Yes, KG would've gotten at least 1.

This is it. We lost more than 3 picks with the Joe Smith crap. Mchale should have been fired for it. And we picked Szczerbiak in the draft over rip hamilton.

iggypop123
07-21-2011, 01:11 AM
shaq and duncan would still beast. nobody there could guard kobe. the same way samaki walker couldnt guard kg. kg was ultimately his own worst enemy. he took all the money in the world. nothing left even for a good gm to work with. plus its minessotta.

MTar786
07-21-2011, 01:20 AM
if kg took less money and ray wasnt traded he would have won his ring in either 05 or 06. but there was no way he was beating the 3peat lakers or the 03 spurs anyway.

KingPosey
07-21-2011, 01:27 AM
You cant say he WOULD have, but you can easily say he COULD have. Any team can win a chaqmpionship if the perfect storm of players are put around a HOFer.

LakersIn5
07-21-2011, 03:24 AM
still lakers and spurs > wolves

Lake_Show2416
07-21-2011, 04:21 AM
I remember as a wolves fan every single year around the trade deadline really hoping that the wolves would make a move for a T-Mac, Vince Carter, or Allen Iverson. IMO all the wolves needed was a scorer, KG wasn't a first option. He did everything well and is an amazing #2 option.

:facepalm: the best defensive player & a full array of skills on the offensive end, do not remember how good he was? KG was a monster who didnt have anyone, not even a question that a prime KG is a #1 option

todu82
07-21-2011, 11:49 AM
I think so, what Garnett did with those Minnesota teams, by himself mostly, was amazing.

JordansBulls
07-21-2011, 03:19 PM
He just needed Cassell to be healthy in the Lakers series.

Shmontaine
07-21-2011, 03:34 PM
i think it's obvious he would've.. he did it in Boston... sooooo, yeah.. with a better team he would've won ... he did...

Chronz
07-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Come on guys, get over this ridiculous notion that any 1 player can or cant win a title. ANYONE CAN WIN A TITLE

Chronz
07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
He just needed Cassell to be healthy in the Lakers series.

Doubtful, Malone was still healthy that series

jezzyman05
07-21-2011, 03:55 PM
He did have Sprewell and Sam Cassell for a bit and they both were pretty much around their primes. Not to mention that team got something decent out of Szczerbiak as well, and thats saying a lot. They had their chances.

Don't forget Terrel Brandon too

LeonFSU
07-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Come on guys, get over this ridiculous notion that any 1 player can or cant win a title. ANYONE CAN WIN A TITLE

Not T-Mac he couldn't even get out of the first round!!! (Even though he was arguably the best player in the NBA at one point and had starting teammates such as Andrew Declerq, Jacque Vaughn, Drew Gooden, Gordan Giricek, Monty Williams, Bo Outlaw, old Horace Grant, old Juwan Howard, Bob Sura, Scott freaking Padgett, Ryan ****ing Bowen, Rafer Alston, Chuck Hayes, David Wesley, etc.)

Tony_Starks
07-21-2011, 06:26 PM
He actually had a nice squad but they weren't messing with Lakers, Portland, Sacramento, or the Spurs. The West was just too loaded back then and Shaq,Timmy, Rasheed, and C Webb were all in their primes.....

blastmasta26
07-21-2011, 09:43 PM
This question doesn't make sense to me. Can't any player win a title with a better front office?

JasonJohnHorn
07-22-2011, 12:45 AM
I always felt bad for Minny fans. They had a horrible GM whilst Garnett was the: KEVIN MCHALE I AM TALKING TO YOU! There is not a team that drafted worse than them throughout Garnett's tenure. The lost draft picks because of an illegal contract with Joe Smith, when they had picks, they drafted poorly, and they never made good trades or free agent signings. ONE year. ONE year he had a little talent around him (Spreewell and Cassell), and neither of them were among the league's best at their position, and Garnett still got to the conference finals with that roster and only lost out to the Lakers who had four HOFers on their team.

The T-Wolves could have had a dynasty if they drafted well, or signed the right players, but instead they let players like Ray Allen go (we all know what Garnett did with Ray Allen on his team), to pick up Marbury (score-first point guards never do as well as pure shooting guards, the T-Wolves made a bad trade there) missed out of the 2000, 2001 and 2002 drafts with an illegal contract, throwing away three potential starters to sign Joe Smith (Joe Smith, seriously?). Took Wally over Rip Hamilton and Shawn Marion, Jason Terry, Ron Artest, Andre Miller and Corey Maggette. Passed up on Kendrick Perkins, Barbosa and Josh Howard to draft...Ndudi Edi? I mean seriously, the dude has the word "dud" in his name! That should have told them something! And 86 minute, NBA career? Passed up on Danny Granger. Then they trade Roy for Foye? They finally make a good pick (like Ray Allen) and then trade it! I know in hindsight Roy's knees are in bad shape, but at the time! A decade of god-awful drafting prevented this team from building anything close to a contender. I realize it is easy to pick out players in hindsight, but some of these drafts were deep and the T-wolves picked the only player between 10-20 to NOT have a long NBA career.

They had Chauncey: let him go. Marbury? At least the Nets managed to pick up Jason Kidd when they dump Marbury! Could you imagine what Garnett and Kidd would have done together! And with their free agent money they signed the Candy Man? Seriously?

Lets face it, when Cassell and Spree got there, they were both on the wrong side of 30. Garnett was never paired with a double-digit rebounder during his entire tenure there (ask Dwight how if feels being the only guy that can grab 10+ rebounds on his team), and they had a revolving door of point guards coming through there. Garnett showed what he could do with a LITTLE bit of talent (make a run at the Lakers with Shaq, Kobe, Malone and Payton, along with the officials) even when that talent was two 32+ guards and a SF that was a cardboard cutout on defence. Imagine if they had kept Allen! Hung on to Chauncey and not bothered wasting what little cap space they had on busts like Candy!

And when it comes to the second round, I realize not ever GM is as talented as the Spurs scouting group, but lets face, you should be able to pull a roll player or a starter out of the second round at least once a decade! No?

Minny should have had a title and Garnett should have retired having worn only on uniform. But this is what happens when you give a guy a GM position based on his performance ON the court and not off it!

JordansBulls
07-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Doubtful, Malone was still healthy that series

He was healthy the next one as well until LA lost HCA in it.