PDA

View Full Version : Did LeBron Regress this year

D_Rose1118
07-17-2011, 01:29 AM
first off I will admit in the first sentence, i do not like lebron james but i hate baiting even more. This is a legitimate question from me, did lebron regress this year as opposed to last year.
I was going through all the star players stats and noticed all of the major categories went down from last year.
so the question is Did Lebron hit his statistical peak his last 2 years in cleveland like how jordan hit his in the '88 and '89 season or are lebrons best days statistically still ahead of him

kozelkid
07-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Lebron will never quite hit the PER or dominant raw stats that he had in his Cleveland days. However, that's mainly because he never had anyone near his talent like he now does with Wade and even Bosh. Sharing between them will obviously hurt him in that regard especially because PER is a stat that is dependent a lot on points and shots attempted, which he obviously won't get nearly as many in Miami.

However, to answer the question, he still did get better. He became a better mid range shooter and took his defense to a whole new level where he essentially became the anchor of the Miami defense.

D_Rose1118
07-17-2011, 01:36 AM
Lebron will never quite hit the PER or dominant raw stats that he had in his Cleveland days. However, that's mainly because he never had anyone near his talent like he now does with Wade and even Bosh. Sharing between them will obviously hurt him in that regard especially because PER is a stat that is dependent a lot on points and shots attempted, which he obviously won't get nearly as many in Miami.

However, to answer the question, he still did get better. He became a better mid range shooter and took his defense to a whole new level where he essentially became the anchor of the Miami defense.

shouldnt his rebounding or assists go up, i understand points and such but the other two should go up, also note blocks went down and turnovers went up

Raps18-19 Champ
07-17-2011, 01:37 AM
He's not going to have better stats and PER with Wade and Bosh on the team.

He is a better defensive player and a better shooter. So he improved his game.

Cano4prez
07-17-2011, 01:39 AM

/thread

Raps18-19 Champ
07-17-2011, 01:40 AM
shouldnt his rebounding or assists go up, i understand points and such but the other two should go up, also note blocks went down and turnovers went up

He doesn't have the ball in his hand as much. Wade also played more isolation plays than the whole Cleveland team-Lebron last year. So less assist for LBJ.

Rebounding, I have no clue. But it's not like he had to rely on Varejao and Ilgauskas to rebound seeing as he had Bosh. So he got a little lazy.

His blocks went down because he didn't have as much chase-down blocks opportunity.

I don't know about turnovers but there might be an explanation for it.

Catfish1314
07-17-2011, 01:41 AM

Not necessarily. LeBron had the ball in his hands a lot more in Cleveland than he did/will in Miami as long as Wade is there. And he needs the ball to post higher APG numbers.

To answer the point of the thread, he didn't regress. I was very surprised at how passive he became in the Finals but for the rest of the season he had another superb year. Like Paul Pierce when Allen and Garnett came along, LeBron's defense greatly improved.

Sixerlover
07-17-2011, 01:49 AM
No, he didn't regress. He got better

AntiG
07-17-2011, 01:56 AM

This. People need to realize that not everything is about statistics.

3ballbomber
07-17-2011, 02:00 AM
That's the thing Lebron's stats wasn't really that much different to when he was a Cavs. You're probably thinking that's a good thing right? Yes, if he was leading his own team but to have almost the same stats on a team with Wade & Bosh is not necessarily good. Why? because it indicates he did not really sacrifice his game to fit into a new team, a new system and new team mates.

Sacrifice was crucial in order for Miami's chemistry to exist and improve. Wade & bosh certainly sacrificed their games and it shows in their stats.

Remember when all of them including Lebron were preaching sacrifice. Did we all really believe Lebron? and then early into the season he was reported saying "he could not defer".

Throughout the season i often called Heat "Miami Cavaliers".

MJ-BULLS
07-17-2011, 02:01 AM

What kozel said.

TO Rapz
07-17-2011, 02:03 AM

This and this.

3ballbomber
07-17-2011, 02:06 AM
Sharing between them will obviously hurt him in that regard especially because PER is a stat that is dependent a lot on points and shots attempted, which he obviously won't get nearly as many in Miami.

He still averaged the most shot attempts in Miami just a few more than Wade if i'm not mistaken. During the 1st half of the season he was leading in shot attempts significantly and that was with him playing a majority of the 1 spot............can anybody say 'Ball Dominant'.......hog..........which ever.

Cano4prez
07-17-2011, 02:19 AM
That's the thing Lebron's stats wasn't really that much different to when he was a Cavs. You're probably thinking that's a good thing right? Yes, if he was leading his own team but to have almost the same stats on a team with Wade & Bosh is not necessarily good. Why? because it indicates he did not really sacrifice his game to fit into a new team, a new system and new team mates.

Sacrifice was crucial in order for Miami's chemistry to exist and improve. Wade & bosh certainly sacrificed their games and it shows in their stats.

Remember when all of them including Lebron were preaching sacrifice. Did we all really believe Lebron? and then early into the season he was reported saying "he could not defer".

He still averaged the most shot attempts in Miami just a few more than Wade if i'm not mistaken. During the 1st half of the season he was leading in shot attempts significantly and that was with him playing a majority of the 1 spot............can anybody say 'Ball Dominant'.......hog..........which ever.

:laugh2: Not sure if serious

3ballbomber
07-17-2011, 02:36 AM
^i followed this closely throughout the season until nearing the playoffs. I'm not sure what your point is exactly or what exactly you are against in my statements.

kingbrentg
07-17-2011, 02:37 AM
His hairline certainly did...

3ballbomber
07-17-2011, 02:50 AM
His hairline certainly did...:rimshot:

KingPosey
07-17-2011, 03:13 AM
In his game? I dont think so.

He went to a new team, with 1 of the other top players in the world, that has a very similar skill set, and still made things happen. His stats will never be higher than they were, and shouldnt be.

LBJ has always not been a great shooter, and his ability to score at the end of games in any other way other than plowing to the basket has also been an issue. I say no, he didnt regress in his game.

Now in his maturity, in the way he handles criticism and negativity, yes. He took a bigger backlash than he expected, and never said the right thing when the media and fans got on him about things. He has been spoiled, and handed a lot, but he was a "darling" within the game.

He needs to wise up quick, get rid of the yapping mouths and yes men that follow him around and breed negativity, and get new handlers.

tredigs
07-17-2011, 03:30 AM
Became the 2nd best volume mid-range shooter in the game behind only Dirk. Better than Wade, Kobe, Durant, etc (check the stats on HoopData if you don't believe it). His defense was incredible night in/night out - arguably the most impactful non-big on the defensive end in the league. Did his counting stats go down, including assists (and in turn PER), yes, of course. He joined a player in Wade who led the league in USG% the prior two seasons, and still slightly edged out Lebron in USG% this year as well.

Yet, he still led the league in PER, Win Shares (WS/48) and put together a season that individually stands up to the primes of the greatest who have ever played the game.

Hate him or not, those are facts.

If that's "regression"? YIKES.

sventhedog
07-17-2011, 03:37 AM
his shooting certainly didn't regress. stayed as consistent as ever.

consistently horrible. lol.

LakersMaster24
07-17-2011, 04:06 AM

Go tell that to all those Advanced Statistics nerds.

3ballbomber
07-17-2011, 04:21 AM
the only real stats people should care about is shooting %, Assists & boards. people tend to go overboard with all the advanced geek stats.

Ebbs
07-17-2011, 04:51 AM
I would say he improved a little bit.

Kashmir13579
07-17-2011, 05:41 AM

He's playing distributer now. This shouldn't be held against him. He was the best PG on the Heat this season.

But deep down i know that he would never be as good if he got called for all the times he's traveled.

KingPosey
07-17-2011, 06:01 AM
^
His distribution wasnt really any different from Cleveland. He went from having the ball in his hands every time in Cleveland, to having the ball almost every time in Miami and maybe passing a little more.

PrettyBoyJ
07-17-2011, 06:19 AM
There could be a number of reason why his stats seem like they dropped, one of the main are he's playing with a top 5 player in D-Wade.. But regardless he still managed to maintain numbers near his career avg. Everyone know LBJ isnt a selfish player I dont think he needs to stuff the stat sheet every night to prove he's arguably the best player in the league

naps
07-17-2011, 09:24 AM
became the 2nd best volume mid-range shooter in the game behind only dirk. Better than wade, kobe, durant, etc (check the stats on hoopdata if you don't believe it). His defense was incredible night in/night out - arguably the most impactful non-big on the defensive end in the league. Did his counting stats go down, including assists (and in turn per), yes, of course. He joined a player in wade who led the league in usg% the prior two seasons, and still slightly edged out lebron in usg% this year as well.

Yet, he still led the league in per, win shares (ws/48) and put together a season that individually stands up to the primes of the greatest who have ever played the game.

If that's "regression"? Yikes.

THIS^^.

The most striking part that improved was his defense. He's the best perimeter defender in the league right now imo. That while his offense also got better.

SteBO
07-17-2011, 09:34 AM
No. LeBron has had to play alot of PG this year, because as you all know our other PG's aren't that good. In CLE, LeBron had a scoring PG in Mo Williams that allowed LeBron to play off the ball more, hence why he averaged more points the previous year as opposed to this past year. But as naps, tredigs, and Kashmir pointed out, his efficiency skyrocketed, and his defense rose to another level. This past year, if you followed the Heat as closely as I did, you actually saw him setting more screens for Wade, since Dwyane is such a good P&R perimeter player. I wish they would've ran that play more in the Finals, but oh well. Bottom line is, LeBron got a better as an all around player adjusting to two other stars in Wade and Bosh. That's the impressive part.

Ethix11
07-17-2011, 09:49 AM
It was the experimental year. They should still develop further but i felt like LeBron played like he was under pressure to defer too much. I think now he will be more assertive and become more of the LeBron from Cleveland.

mttwlsn16
07-17-2011, 10:08 AM
he was tremendously clutch vs the mavs in the finals

JordansBulls
07-17-2011, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't say he regressed. The fact is is that he played with more stars on his teams and more top tier players so his PER and WS and WS/PER 48 minutes went down a bit this year, but he got better on defense.

effen5
07-17-2011, 11:00 AM
His hairline certainly did...

this.

WadeKobe
07-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Became the 2nd best volume mid-range shooter in the game behind only Dirk. Better than Wade, Kobe, Durant, etc (check the stats on HoopData if you don't believe it). His defense was incredible night in/night out - arguably the most impactful non-big on the defensive end in the league. Did his counting stats go down, including assists (and in turn PER), yes, of course. He joined a player in Wade who led the league in USG% the prior two seasons, and still slightly edged out Lebron in USG% this year as well.

Yet, he still led the league in PER, Win Shares (WS/48) and put together a season that individually stands up to the primes of the greatest who have ever played the game.

:clap: ^^ THIS x2

As for the rebounding, it is a static figure. He would have needed to drastically improve his game in order to improve his rebounding. Plus, Wade took it upon himself to do more rebounding since it seemed needed, and we did not need LeBron to rebound more than he usually does.

His assists also wouldn't go up when he has the ball a lot less, but in reality his AST% only went down a small number. Wade's went down drastically due to a change in role, but he still had a large number of assists, something James didn't have to compete with in Cleveland.

As per turnovers, that's just the fact that they had to learn so much on the fly, and it's growing pains. I would be shocked to see those things continue into the future seasons.

ManRam
07-17-2011, 11:11 AM
No chance in hell he regressed.

JustBringIt
07-17-2011, 11:16 AM
His defense is so overrated it's not even funny

JustBringIt
07-17-2011, 11:18 AM

Stats hahaha all Lebron fans always bring up stats lmfao

JustBringIt
07-17-2011, 11:20 AM
He's playing distributer now. This shouldn't be held against him. He was the best PG on the Heat this season.

But deep down i know that he would never be as good if he got called for all the times he's traveled.

Wasn't he the disributor in Cleveland 99% of the time? Just saying

WadeKobe
07-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Please don't talk ever again. :facepalm:

He had his lowest FGA per game in his entire career, averaged his lowest shots per 36 minutes since his rookie season, had his 3rd lowest USG% in his entire career, the lowest in 4 years, and was 2nd in USG percentage on his team, behind DWade, for the first time in his entire career.

Please stop talking.

WadeKobe
07-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Yea, you're right. I think Derrick Rose said that, right? Because he dominated LeBron in the 4th quarter if I remember correctly...

JustBringIt
07-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Lebron is on the decline lol well atleast in the finals he was

JustBringIt
07-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Yea, you're right. I think Derrick Rose said that, right? Because he dominated LeBron in the 4th quarter if I remember correctly...

To bad rose was fatigued from playing all those games and getting little to no help from his SG, oh but if I remember correctly he couldn't even stay in from of Jason Terry at all, he was getting lit up left and right lol.

Jamiecballer
07-17-2011, 11:36 AM
you'd have to watch Lebron just about every game this year to know...

the stats were guaranteed to drop. just as someone like Kobe would see his numbers balloon if he were traded to a team like the Raptors where he wasn't surrounded by as much talent... does that mean that he has regressed? well that's a different debate for another day...

WadeKobe
07-17-2011, 11:44 AM
To bad rose was fatigued from playing all those games and getting little to no help from his SG, oh but if I remember correctly he couldn't even stay in from of Jason Terry at all, he was getting lit up left and right lol.

Way to contradict yourself. :facepalm:

Rose was fatigued after 11-16 games at 40.6 minutes per game, but LeBron can't use that excuse after 16-21 games at 43.9 minutes per game...

You, my friend, fail. Just go away. :facepalm:

naps
07-17-2011, 12:29 PM

Lebron is on the decline lol well atleast in the finals he was

^^^

Way to contradict yourself. :facepalm:

Rose was fatigued after 11-16 games at 40.6 minutes per game, but LeBron can't use that excuse after 16-21 games at 43.9 minutes per game...

You, my friend, fail. Just go away. :facepalm:

It's already a year JustBringIt. Let it go. LeBron James drives people crazy but it has to have limits.

Dade County
07-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Lbj did not regress, it was just business ( Big Business)!

And of-course his numbers will not be the same, he plays with Wade.

Gambeezy
07-17-2011, 12:46 PM
first off I will admit in the first sentence, i do not like lebron james but i hate baiting even more. This is a legitimate question from me, did lebron regress this year as opposed to last year.
I was going through all the star players stats and noticed all of the major categories went down from last year.
so the question is Did Lebron hit his statistical peak his last 2 years in cleveland like how jordan hit his in the '88 and '89 season or are lebrons best days statistically still ahead of him

The OP is curious to know if this is the beginning of Lebron's statistical decline. Why are you clownishly laughing uncontrollably? Read the question next time.

CHANGO
07-17-2011, 01:05 PM
The OP is curious to know if this is the beginning of Lebron's statistical decline. Why are you clownishly laughing uncontrollably? Read the question next time.

Because he is a troll who has nothing good to contribute.

It is obvious that Lebron is better now, as many have said, has a better jumpshot, better defense, and what isn't mentioned by many, more experience and wisdom, thanks to Riley. :D

wjmoffatt
07-17-2011, 01:27 PM
I personally feel like if your not getting better than your getting worse. With that said Lebron James did then last season regress. He didn't add anything to his game. He still has no post game, no clutchness, and a jumper that's streaky. He does things great but fans need to admit with that talent he should have a ring by now and dominate the game at ALL times. If anyone that has won multiple rings in the past such as Bird, Kobe, MJ, and Bill had Lebrons talent of size, speed, and jumping abilities watch out world.

justinnum1
07-17-2011, 01:48 PM
I personally feel like if your not getting better than your getting worse. With that said Lebron James did then last season regress. He didn't add anything to his game. He still has no post game, no clutchness, and a jumper that's streaky. He does things great but fans need to admit with that talent he should have a ring by now and dominate the game at ALL times. If anyone that has won multiple rings in the past such as Bird, Kobe, MJ, and Bill had Lebrons talent of size, speed, and jumping abilities watch out world.

Ask bulls and celtics fans if lebron has clutchness.

Lake_Show2416
07-17-2011, 01:55 PM
I don't like Lebron & normally would have problem bashing him but stats r overrated, it doesn't give u a real analysis on how a player effects the team. a lot of things r not able to be statically recorded. plus he has Wade & Bosh, so his stats will b deflated. he may have not progressed too much but for certain there was definitely no regression

ghettosean
07-17-2011, 03:04 PM

No offense but I don't care what hoopdata says... How about my data!!! Bosh was killing it in the Dallas series and HE HAD THE BEST FG% and he wasn't getting the ball as nearly as much as Lebron was. Also if you want to talk NBA playoff stats in general in the playoffs Wade had the best FG% then Bosh, then James. I'm shocked at how you put him right behind Dirk as the best volume mid range shooter when he clearly gets a lot of plays off of dunks from lobs from Wade and company. If he's taking most of the shots and he's shooting the worst out of the big 3 then in my mind that's a problem.

Also I added in an extra link... before the last game of the finals on Dirk vs Lebron full 4th quarter stats (check for the big picture part way down the link)... Stop putting this guy on such a high pedistal and open your eyes people. 2nd best mid range shooter someone shoot me now... LOL.

How do you like those facts ;)

http://mavsmag.com/dirk-vs-lebron-stats-in-4th-quarter-through-game-5/

drobe86
07-17-2011, 05:42 PM
He didn't regress statistically speaking. Because his numbers were pretty much par the course for him. However, he regressed in the heart category. Lebron James just doesn't have what it takes on the Inside to be great... He was manufactured as the next great superstar. I don't dislike Lebron James and I think he's the most physically gifted Basketball player of All Time. But that doesn't equate to having what it takes to be the best....

drobe86
07-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Ask bulls and celtics fans if lebron has clutchness.

He's clutch if nothing is on the line. It's not hard to be clutch in 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals with a 3-1 lead. It's not hard to beat Boston when he was in his comfort zone with a 3-0 Lead. How clutch was he in the FINALS? How clutch was he when the series was 2-2? How about 3-2 Dallas' way? How about in game 6? I define clutch being when someone makes a play, or series of plays that directly outcome the game. This is when you're facing ADVERSITY. Anybody can make plays when defenses are lax and they are playing in their comfort zones. But only the greats can find a way to win when their team is down and out. When things are looking Bleak GREAT players will their teams to win. Can you say Lebron has ever done that?

DR_1
07-17-2011, 05:54 PM
He played well, but he kept trying to be Jordan, which led to him having a worse season. To me, LeBron is more in the mold of Magic, which there's nothing wrong with. He just has to embrace the role.

Catfish1314
07-17-2011, 06:06 PM

It's silly to give LeBron all of the credit for making Derrick Rose look awful against the Heat. If LeBron gets all of the credit for slowing down Rose, then he gets all of the blame for Jason Terry lighting it up in the second half of the series.

LeBron is taking too much credit and the entire Heat's defense, which was fantastic, is not getting enough.

Il Mago50
07-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Let's leave the guy alone, he flopped on his face now we can all move on.

The NBA is much more then just Lebron James, he's one player in the entire league and even though he's the best in it, he's gotten enough hate it's time for everyone to move on.

Chronz
07-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Check his stats after the adjustment period but to answer the question yes he is regressing athletically. Anyone against this is in denial, he needs to lose weight or gain a post game to make use of all that bulk.

knicks4life33
07-17-2011, 06:35 PM
he sure didnt progress

Cano4prez
07-17-2011, 06:45 PM

No one will take that as fact and just make up excuses against it, no matter how true it may be

Check his stats after the adjustment period but to answer the question yes he is regressing athletically. Anyone against this is in denial, he needs to lose weight or gain a post game to make use of all that bulk.

Also this, it's clear hes gained weight since he left Cleveland, he does not look as smooth and fluid as he did slashing in Cleveland

nastynice
07-17-2011, 06:48 PM
if anyone thinks lebron regressed, they obviously didn't watch rounds 2 and 3 of the playoffs. He KILLED it.

stats-wise tho, he probably peaked, obviously with that garbage team in cleveland he had to do everything himself, where as now he can let other people run the show at times too.

Not saying he's not a douche, cuz he obviously is, but he had a hell of a year, and is a hell of a baller

CHANGO
07-17-2011, 08:09 PM
He's clutch if nothing is on the line. It's not hard to be clutch in 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals with a 3-1 lead. It's not hard to beat Boston when he was in his comfort zone with a 3-0 Lead. How clutch was he in the FINALS? How clutch was he when the series was 2-2? How about 3-2 Dallas' way? How about in game 6? I define clutch being when someone makes a play, or series of plays that directly outcome the game. This is when you're facing ADVERSITY. Anybody can make plays when defenses are lax and they are playing in their comfort zones. But only the greats can find a way to win when their team is down and out. When things are looking Bleak GREAT players will their teams to win. Can you say Lebron has ever done that?

The ECF were on the line vs Boston. The NBA finals were on the line vs Chicago.
3-0 lead? vs Boston? When was that? LOL...

How about game 2 vs Boston, series was 1-0.
How about game 4 in Boston in one of the loudest courts, series was 2-1.
How about game 5 vs Boston, game 2 vs Chicago IN Chicago series 0-1, game 4 vs Chicago remember? Overtime... Lebron stopping the MVP in the 4th quarter and overtime. And game 5 vs Chicago again IN Chicago...

TheRunKiller
07-17-2011, 08:14 PM
3-0 lead? vs Boston? When was that? LOL...

How about game 2 vs Boston, series was 1-0.
How about game 4 in Boston in one of the loudest courts, series was 2-1.
How about game 5 vs Boston, game 2 vs Chicago IN Chicago series 0-1, game 4 vs Chicago remember? Overtime... Lebron stopping the MVP in the 4th quarter and overtime. And game 5 vs Chicago again IN Chicago...

why couldn't he do that in the finals?

CHANGO
07-17-2011, 08:21 PM
why couldn't he do that in the finals?

That's not the question.

My answer is addressed to this.

He's clutch if nothing is on the line. It's not hard to be clutch in 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals with a 3-1 lead. It's not hard to beat Boston when he was in his comfort zone with a 3-0 Lead.

But to answer the question. He didn't do it, period. But he did against Boston and Chicago, two of the best defenses and when most needed. There were others who could do neither when it mattered most... Right?

LA_Raiders
07-17-2011, 08:51 PM
if anyone thinks lebron regressed, they obviously didn't watch rounds 2 and 3 of the playoffs. He KILLED it.

stats-wise tho, he probably peaked, obviously with that garbage team in cleveland he had to do everything himself, where as now he can let other people run the show at times too.

Not saying he's not a douche, cuz he obviously is, but he had a hell of a year, and is a hell of a baller

Specially in the 4th Quarter. He is Mr.Clutch 2011