PDA

View Full Version : USA Basketball roster

Kjthunder
07-15-2011, 03:07 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news;_ylt=Ag3HyyJKYcCqIxbTVjKIbdy8vLYF?slug=ap-bko-usplans

I know there has been alot of talk on here about who they think will be on the roster. I found this and thought it'd help with the debate. Mainly this part of the article.

The current U.S. roster is about 30 players, but Colangelo said there are truly closer to 18 candidates for London. Referring to the roster from Beijing, he said “three or four of those spots are vulnerable,” but then named seven players from 2010 who would immediately be leading contenders for spots: Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Tyson Chandler, Lamar Odom and Chauncey Billups.He also hinted that Rookie of the Year Blake Griffin could be added to the roster, so realistically the Olympic roster will be a mixture of the past two U.S. teams.

pd1dish
07-15-2011, 03:20 PM
im excited for the Olympics. i dont see how anyone can stop us from winning the gold again.

Slug3
07-15-2011, 03:21 PM
I just cant see Odom and Billups being on the team. CP3, Dwill, Wade, Kobe, Melo and Lebron would all probably make the team if they wanted to play. I just dont know wht PG would be left out. Rose would be a shoe in and same with CP3. I think Dwill and westbrook might have to battle for a spot.

Slug3
07-15-2011, 03:22 PM
im excited for the Olympics. i dont see how anyone can stop us from winning the gold again.

the same way as before, if we dont bring out best 15 players.

njnets
07-15-2011, 03:24 PM
doesnt surprise me.

prince, redd, boozer will not be back.

is the ageless kidd still being considered? im also assuming that kobe will be back too.

i think kidd will be left off, giving way for rose to be on the team. durant will definitely be on the team. odom would fit in well too because he can play multiple front court positions. another big body could be added, like klove or chandler.

Dade County
07-15-2011, 03:33 PM
As long as are started pg can hit 3's consistently

pg cp3
sg Wade
sf Lbj
Pf ?
C Howard

Kobe 6 man

Everybody else, fall in line!

Slug3
07-15-2011, 03:44 PM
As long as I started pg can hit 3's consistently

pg cp3
sg Wade
sf Lbj
Pf ?
C Howard

Kobe 6 man

With the way others play ball, you could almost just put Lebron at PF and Durant at SF and we would probably still be fine.

Ray_R
07-15-2011, 03:49 PM
I would go with the FIBA championship Roster.

MrfadeawayJB
07-15-2011, 03:55 PM
i cant wait for the olympics

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-15-2011, 04:19 PM
This process should be fun to watch seeing that there will be no other basketball related things to watch.

Dade County
07-15-2011, 05:07 PM
With the way others play ball, you could almost just put Lebron at PF and Durant at SF and we would probably still be fine.

Nice... You are absolutely right.

koreancabbage
07-15-2011, 06:28 PM
I would go with the FIBA championship Roster.

they haven't earned their spots on the Olympic team just yet. The vets still want to win a Gold medal at the Olympics cuz its the FREAKIN Olympics. hard enough to win one of those medals to begin with.

koreancabbage
07-15-2011, 06:31 PM
As long as are started pg can hit 3's consistently

pg cp3
sg Wade
sf Lbj
Pf ?
C Howard

Kobe 6 man

Bosh would be starting PF probably. He was instrumental in the last Olympics run and the most useful big man on that team.

blahblahyoutoo
07-15-2011, 06:47 PM
the same way as before, if we dont bring out best 15 players.

chemistry (team ball) is infinitely better than throwing the best 15 guys together.

Avenged
07-15-2011, 07:03 PM
I like the 7 players mentioned. Good depth all around and they all provide different skill.

D-Leethal
07-15-2011, 07:04 PM
I expect Spain to give us a major run for our money with an older more mature Rubio and Ibaka now on the team

Kjthunder
07-17-2011, 09:41 AM
first of all thanks to the couple of people who read the article and saw that he said those 7 were top candidates for spots, meaning most of them will be there. Combine that with the fact that Coach K saying that if he is asked to coach the olympics again he would want to keep atleast half of the 2010 Fiba championship team. Also the olympic roster is only 12 spots. So lets say 6 of those 7 make the team. That leaves 6 spots for the other NBA elite. For arguments sake i'll say billups doesnt make the cut(barring injury to another player) because lamar odom is better suited since he can play the 3,4,and 5 in international play.

So with that information i'd say:

PG: Paul, Rose, Westbrook
SG: Kobe, Wade
SF: Durant, Melo
PF: LBJ, Odom, Love
C : Howard, Chandler

I say thats a team that can win the gold for sure! however i would be open to substituting bosh in for melo, but for no one else

Kjthunder
07-17-2011, 09:42 AM
I expect Spain to give us a major run for our money with an older more mature Rubio and Ibaka now on the team

i'd almost for sure say to bring bosh in for melo because of spain's size. they will be good.

Rubio
Fernandez
*fill in
P Gasol, Ibaka
M Gasol, Ibaka

SteBO
07-17-2011, 09:47 AM
first of all thanks to the couple of people who read the article and saw that he said those 7 were top candidates for spots, meaning most of them will be there. Combine that with the fact that Coach K saying that if he is asked to coach the olympics again he would want to keep atleast half of the 2010 Fiba championship team. Also the olympic roster is only 12 spots. So lets say 6 of those 7 make the team. That leaves 6 spots for the other NBA elite. For arguments sake i'll say billups doesnt make the cut(barring injury to another player) because lamar odom is better suited since he can play the 3,4,and 5 in international play.

I say thats a team that can win the gold for sure! however i would be open to substituting bosh in for melo, but for no one else
I don't know if Kobe is really a shoe in to start over Wade, but Wade played great in the 6th man role and them two on the floor at the end of games was a beauty to see in the last olympics so I guess that starting lineup you have there is what they'd go with. I also agree on the Bosh substituting in for Melo aspect.

marj987
07-17-2011, 12:25 PM
doesnt surprise me.

prince, redd, boozer Roy will not be back.

is the ageless kidd still being considered? im also assuming that kobe will be back too.

i think kidd will be left off, giving way for rose to be on the team. durant will definitely be on the team. odom would fit in well too because he can play multiple front court positions. another big body could be added, like klove or chandler.\

Fixed.

Dade County
07-17-2011, 12:39 PM

I guess you forgot how Bosh was guarding wing players in the last Olympics; he's one of the most important pieces (pick and role game), if you didn't know.. smh

ManRam
07-17-2011, 12:45 PM
You need some non-super-mega-stars starting/playing. There's only one ball. No reason to have so many guys who all need the ball playing. Need to mix in passers, shooters and rebounders in there. There's no shooting at all really in a Paul/Rose/Westy Kobe/Wade backcourt. Need to bring in some of those specialty guys.

Gotta make it a team, not just a conglomerate of super stars.

carruthers32
07-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Chris Paul/ Derrick Rose
Kobe Bryant/ Dwyane Wade
Kevin Durant/ Joe Johnson
Lebron James/ Carmelo Anthony
Dwight Howard/ Amare Stoudemire

GREATNESS ONE
07-17-2011, 01:33 PM

I think you nailed this but wouldn't be surprised to see Griffin or Bosh somewhere on the roster.

Kjthunder
07-17-2011, 03:18 PM
i do agree about bosh or griffin being there, mainly instead of melo, i dont think NY will want him or Amare to play in the olympics,i kno they cant make them stay home but i think that will have an impact and so we will see bosh or griffin there

alencp3
07-17-2011, 04:10 PM
how about james harden, unselfish, plays great D, and can shoot the ball pretty good

Storch
07-17-2011, 04:34 PM
I just cant see Odom and Billups being on the team. CP3, Dwill, Wade, Kobe, Melo and Lebron would all probably make the team if they wanted to play. I just dont know wht PG would be left out. Rose would be a shoe in and same with CP3. I think Dwill and westbrook might have to battle for a spot.

Lamar?! Did you not see him ball it up last time? He was insane at the C position. :facepalm:

Storch
07-17-2011, 04:36 PM
You need some non-super-mega-stars starting/playing. There's only one ball. No reason to have so many guys who all need the ball playing. Need to mix in passers, shooters and rebounders in there. There's no shooting at all really in a Paul/Rose/Westy Kobe/Wade backcourt. Need to bring in some of those specialty guys.

Gotta make it a team, not just a conglomerate of super stars.

x2

To add to it I will have to say that some superstars accept lesser roles like how Kobe was the doberman on defense last time.

AndyfromNeptune
07-17-2011, 06:47 PM
1. Chris Paul/Derrick Rose/Westbrook
2. Bryant/Wade/Billups
3. Durant
4. Lebron/Melo/Bosh
5. Howard/Love

With possibles including Blake Griffin, Rajon Rondo, Stephon Curry, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Iggy, Tyson Chandler, Jeff Green, Lamar Odom, Rudy Gay, Javale Mcgee, Eric Gordon, Danny Granger, Boozer, Deron Williams, Lamarcus Aldridge, and Brook Lopez

In my mind, I say we go with the best compialation of shooters, athleticism, selflessness, and DEFENSE.

Lake_Show2416
07-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I don't know if Kobe is really a shoe in to start over Wade, but Wade played great in the 6th man role and them two on the floor at the end of games was a beauty to see in the last olympics so I guess that starting lineup you have there is what they'd go with. I also agree on the Bosh substituting in for Melo aspect.

i do think Kobe is better then Wade & also think thats still the sense throughout the NBA cuz of the major respect factor, Kobe a better shooter which is more useful in FIBA play but thats not the reason y i think that wont happen. Its just Kobe will never come off the bench, Wade is more modest & would be willing to accept that role. i do agree tho, those 2 when its closing time is magical :drool:

maybe throw Wade at the 2 & Kobe at the 3 since u can play a bit smaller but who knows Kobe might not even want to go to the games

LA_Raiders
07-17-2011, 08:30 PM

Dead on, I can see LeBroom not going since his ego is > America.

Tom Stone
07-18-2011, 08:50 AM
i'd almost for sure say to bring bosh in for melo because of spain's size. they will be good.

Rubio
Fernandez
*fill in
P Gasol, Ibaka
M Gasol, Ibaka

I would take Blake over Bosh easy.

For spain they will have Gargo, Juan Carlos and Jose as well.....they will be the one team that might have a chance.......I'll be cheering for spain :cool:

Th£~Gam€
07-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Paul
Rose
Durant
Griffin
Howard

If the big 3 and NY big 2 don't wanna go
And also Westbrook backup sg for rose

Hawkeye15
07-19-2011, 01:37 PM
without hurting anyones feelings......

Paul/Deron/Rose
Kobe/Iggy
Durant/Melo
Love/Griffin/Bosh
D12/Chandler

I think that team has the right mix of star power and players who will make sacrifices. I hate Kobe, but watching him become the designated stopper in the previous games makes me want him on the team if he is 100%, because he showed me more than any other star that he is willing to sacrifice a big part of his game for the betterment of the team. Durant and Melo are great in FIBA, and the frontcourt has inside and outside threats, and the top 2 rebounders in the game to go along with paint protection.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2011, 01:39 PM
all that being said, I assume we will send James, Wade, Kobe, Durant, and D12 over. Not that I am opposed to it, but there are some egos that need to be set aside if we send all our 1st team NBA players for instance (US ones)

daboywonder2002
07-19-2011, 01:51 PM
im writing my list now. struggling with these point guards though. i mean yes, paul, d-will and rose are the top 3. but i really wanna put steph curry and rondo on this list. but who do i take out?? cp3,dwill, d-rose, steph curry and rondo. decisions decisions???

Hawkeye15
07-19-2011, 01:58 PM
im writing my list now. struggling with these point guards though. i mean yes, paul, d-will and rose are the top 3. but i really wanna put steph curry and rondo on this list. but who do i take out?? cp3,dwill, d-rose, steph curry and rondo. decisions decisions???

I just can't see Rondo as a great option for us with his shooting/free throw shooting liabilities, when we have so many other PG's who can fit the bill defensively and distribution wise, but will also make a 19 footer if we need him to

daboywonder2002
07-19-2011, 02:20 PM
ok heres the list. im going with a more youthful movement. 30 and under club. sorry kobe.

pg- cp3, steph curry and derrick rose

sg- wade, james harden

sf- durant, melo

pf- kevin love, blake griffin, lamarcus aldridge

c- howard, amare,

Hawkeye15
07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
ok heres the list. im going with a more youthful movement. 30 and under club. sorry kobe.

pg- cp3, steph curry and derrick rose

sg- wade, james harden

sf- durant, melo

pf- kevin love, blake griffin, lamarcus aldridge

c- howard, amare,

I actually love this team as well.

daboywonder2002
07-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I actually love this team as well.

but i forgot lebron?? but who is actually worth taking off??

Hawkeye15
07-19-2011, 02:52 PM
but i forgot lebron?? but who is actually worth taking off??

take off Amare, and move LaMarcus to center would be my choice. Or remove Amare and use Love in small ball scenarios

alencp3
07-19-2011, 03:10 PM
without hurting anyones feelings......

Paul/Deron/Rose
Kobe/Iggy
Durant/Melo
Love/Griffin/Bosh
D12/Chandler

rose is the black sheep here

Hawkeye15
07-19-2011, 03:33 PM
rose is the black sheep here