PDA

View Full Version : Kobe, CP3 banner NBA selection vs Gilas, PBA

AsiandudePH
07-15-2011, 03:48 AM
On behalf of the Filipino basketball nation, thank you David Stern for the lockout. lol I kid. But hey, an opportunity like this wouldn't arise if not for the lockout.

...Early this week, Los Angeles superstar Kobe Bryant described the Philippines as his "home away from home." It didn't take long before he decided to come back.

Bryant, along with New Orleans Hornets' Chris Paul, Sacramento Kings' Tyreke Evans, Oklahoma Thunder's James Harden, and Minnesota Timberwolves rookie Derrick Williams will be coming to Manila this July 23-24 to play against a selection of players from the Pilipinas-Smart Gilas and the PBA....

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/226372/sports/kobe-cp3-banner-nba-selection-vs-gilas-pba

YourTeamSucks
07-15-2011, 04:05 AM
did derrick rose and kevin durant already play there?

AsiandudePH
07-15-2011, 04:27 AM
did derrick rose and kevin durant already play there?

No, they haven't yet.

But they were mentioned in preliminary discussions of these exhibition games, that both of them are included, but it's all rumors I guess. Only the names mentioned in the articles are those who already committed.

There's a "plus 2 more" players to be included in the final line up, but they haven't announced who those players are yet. They will hold a conference later at 5:00pm (Manila time) to give out further details.

sventhedog
07-15-2011, 07:10 AM
wow. that's good news.

although i'm getting a little tired of these types of games where players just throw the ball all over the place with no competition.

nice to see them travel to see fans.

RaiderLakersA's
07-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Let the Chris Paul to the Lakers orientation start now!

C-Style
07-15-2011, 09:36 PM
oh yeah! hopefully King Kobe can convince CP3 to play for the Lakeshow

AsiandudePH
07-15-2011, 10:03 PM
It was just reported here (in the Philippines) that Derek Fisher would also play. One more will be announced. :-)

NBA_Starter
07-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Let the Chris Paul to the Lakers orientation start now!

lakers4sho
07-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Chris Paul
Tyreke Evans
Kobe Bryant
Derrick Williams
DeAndre Jordan

Not bad, not bad.

3ballbomber
07-16-2011, 06:49 AM
wasn't Rose suppose to be part of this exhibition?

FilNugsFan
07-16-2011, 07:16 AM
wasn't Rose suppose to be part of this exhibition?

Yeah, too bad it's only gonna be D-Fish instead of D-Rose. :(

KnicksR4Real
07-16-2011, 10:48 AM
cool. i would laugh if one of them got hurt

FOBolous
07-16-2011, 01:55 PM
why the Philippines? Off all the East Asian countries (China, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, Japan, Vietnam, the Philippines), the Philippines is the poorest and least developed country. heck, there's part of the country the government themselves can't control. and, no offense, the Philippines is pretty much the Mexico of Asia. It is where all the other East Asian countries go to find cheap labor. A lot of construction workers and house maids in Taiwan are Filipino. The Philippines will offer these players little marketing and exposure....so yea, i'm not understanding why these star players are choosing to play an exhibition game there. It's like megastar visiting North America, and instead of stopping in the US or Canada, they choose to stop in Mexico :confused:

LA_Raiders
07-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Kobe doing some recruiting work. Nice...

Good for the world, **** Stern

LA_Raiders
07-16-2011, 03:14 PM
why the Philippines? Off all the East Asian countries (China, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, Japan, Vietnam, the Philippines), the Philippines is the poorest and least developed country. heck, there's part of the country the government themselves can't control. and, no offense, the Philippines is pretty much the Mexico of Asia. It is where all the other East Asian countries go to find cheap labor. A lot of construction workers and house maids in Taiwan are Filipino. The Philippines will offer these players little marketing and exposure....so yea, i'm not understanding why these star players are choosing to play an exhibition game there. It's like megastar visiting North America, and instead of stopping in the US or Canada, they choose to stop in Mexico :confused:

It is not about the $ sometimes. Kobe likes to be all over the world, exept countries not recomended to travel by the US like; Mexico, Central America, Middle East, etc...

AsiandudePH
07-16-2011, 08:01 PM

Probably because Kobe how passionate Filipinos are about basketball. It's crazy how basketball is beloved throughout the whole country.

Also, what comes out in the news often are the bad stuffs about the Philippines. Unless you come here you wouldn't fully understand what the country it all about.

Anyway, from a basketball point of view, I'm sure Kobe (and other players who have visited the country) knows that the love for basketball here is uncanny, hence why a lot of NBA players go here. I'd say if only Filipinos are gifted with height then we prolly would have a Filipino player playing on US soil (or Europe). Sadly we're not, but still this nation has a basketball heart.

MR.TRIPDUB
07-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Wow you really s**tted on us filipinos right here. Pound for pound the philippines is the most hardcore basketball nation of them all. We are the best in southeast asia. Those construction workers and maids you talk down to are heroes for us. We are a nation of faith and heart so stfu.

Note: a filipino rich guy is bringing these players because its his birthday.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-17-2011, 02:27 AM
Filipinos are the blacks of Asia.

3ballbomber
07-17-2011, 02:43 AM
lol, Funny because in the early 90's NBA players were wearing uniforms made by filipino's in the philippines.

You cannot blame the whole country for having corrupt leaders messing up the whole country for centuries. Outside of the U.S. you'll probably find philippines one of the nations who's national favourite sport is Basketball. If you've been there you'll notice 1 of every 10 people walking around in NBA or other basketball jerseys. There's courts everywhere too............hell there's even courts in remote parts of the country with net and all it's crazy. They really love the game.

Besides i'm pretty sure Bryant in particular visits there almost every year in the off-season.

anjolomotan
07-17-2011, 09:49 AM

Actually, besides China I'm almost positive that the Philippines is the second biggest market for basketball in Asia. Virtually everyone in our country is a basketball fan. Also, most of the countries outsource work to China, not the Philippines. Even the Philippines outsources a great deal of work to China.

And as someone mentioned earlier, those migrant workers you speak about in such a demeaning manner are actually a great testament to our nation. They sacrifice their lives to work abroad only to remit back their wages to family members here.

JDMVP
07-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Because the Philippines is BASKETBALL CRAZY country, I mean if you haven't been listening to KOBE. This country is so passionate about the game, I mean that's why Kobe keeps coming back there. It's about time the NBA or these all stars I should say play an Exhibition game there.

pd1dish
07-17-2011, 10:44 AM
cool. i would laugh if one of them got hurt

thats cus you're a douchebag New York fan

AsiandudePH
07-17-2011, 07:39 PM
And there you go, Derrick Rose completes the NBA selection team.

http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=707331&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword

MR.TRIPDUB
07-17-2011, 08:01 PM
This would be incredible, lAtely its just nba legends that play here now its legitimate allstars against our teams. They probably beat us up by 50. Or they could let us be in the game just to make the boss happy, yey.

DodgerBulls
07-17-2011, 08:19 PM

One of the smallest and 12th populous country in the world sums this up. I am Filipino and born and raised there, and it pisses me off that most of this is true. As for the marketing, I think Philippines is one of the largest market in Asia. You have no idea what basketball means over there. Filipinos has been playing basketball for quite sometime now. They have one of the oldest leagues in the world and from what I know, the oldest in Asia.

As for overseas workers, I think you underestimate Filipinos. You only hear about construction workers and maids, but do you know how many doctors, nurses, engineers, architects, businessmen, and high ranked jobs are also Filipinos that came from the Philippines? You don't because they don't release much data about that. Most cashiers or even vendors in the street finished college. If you ask cashiers in the Philippines, you will probably be shocked that they finished Medicine, Business Admin, Engineering, etc. It just sucks that they have to settle with a lot less because there are hardly jobs there. High school diploma there is nothing but a piece of paper. You won't find any job close to decent with that, or if anything at all.

junion
07-17-2011, 08:25 PM

While most of the world has soccer as their sport, the Philippines has basketball as their sport. They are very crazy about basketball over there. When they say that on every street there's a basketball court, they're not lying. when i went there, there literally is some form of "basketball court". yes, it is a poor country, but it doesn't prevent some make-shift courts. when i went there, i saw some guys put a crate on a cardboard box, and nail it to the side of a tree just so they could play basketball. that's hardcore.

also, these players are not going to the philippines for the money or united states populatiry, they're going because filipinos in general are so passionate about basketball... they'll be treated like kings. and they'll be surrounded by people who love the game and really appreciate them and their game.

this is the reason why people come back. it's uncomfortable to be there when you're used to the united states (weather, and unfamiliar territory), but there's a reason why kobe keeps coming back (and other people from other fields like Brian McKnight). the players love the passion.

:facepalm:

TheRunKiller
07-17-2011, 10:10 PM

so that's good or bad?

MR.TRIPDUB
07-17-2011, 11:54 PM
so that's good or bad?

I meant to ask this too but decided not to touch it, all hell might break loose.

Rentzias
07-18-2011, 09:32 AM
You sound upset that they aren't coming to Taiwan.
1) I don't see how this conversation went from "why are NBA players playing in the Philippines" to "A lot of construction workers and house maids in Taiwan are Filipino."
2) The part of the country the government can't control is in the southernmost part, and has been that way for decades. It's not a part of the country that wants to take over the rest, it's a part of the country that wants the rest of the country to stay out, so it's by no means like the Mexican drug cartel situation.
3) It's ONE game. They're not moving there to play. Why so serious?

AsiandudePH
07-18-2011, 10:14 AM
DeAndre Jordan has passports issues and couldn't come. The replacement? Kevin Durant.

“Kevin Durant is coming to replace Deandre Jordan in the Smart Ultimate All Star Weekend,” Reyes said in a text message to InterAksyon.com/InterAKTV.

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/kevin-durant-to-join-kobe-cp3-d-rose-in-manila

synister281
07-18-2011, 10:22 AM

Elaborate, i'm dying to know what you mean by this...

MR.TRIPDUB
07-18-2011, 10:53 AM
DeAndre Jordan has passports issues and couldn't come. The replacement? Kevin Durant.

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/kevin-durant-to-join-kobe-cp3-d-rose-in-manila

Durant for deandre? Hell yeah, its like being in the all star weekend. I just wish they would be like half the team are filipino and half nba to make it more competetive.

ragee
07-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Is it possible for the Gilas to keep the lead to less than 50?

AsiandudePH
07-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Durant for deandre? Hell yeah, its like being in the all star weekend. I just wish they would be like half the team are filipino and half nba to make it more competetive.

I'm thinking that the NBA selection would keep it close until the second half. lol Well, I hope our teams would make it competitive the best way they can. No one expects them to win anyway.

MR.TRIPDUB
07-18-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm thinking that the NBA selection would keep it close until the second half. lol Well, I hope our teams would make it competitive the best way they can. No one expects them to win anyway.

Maybe they'll even make it a lot closer since this is a present for boss MVP. Close but not competetive.

LakersIn5
07-18-2011, 11:08 AM
C Durant
PF Harden
SF Kobe
SG Rose
PG CP3

that team would still be taller than the philippine and pba team. lol

pero tangina sana mapanis ni jv casio si rose. hahaha

lakers4sho
07-18-2011, 12:35 PM

Good, DeAndre Jordan would've eat Team Philippines' centers alive.

BklynKnicks3
07-18-2011, 12:54 PM
how can we watch this event?

DodgerBulls
07-18-2011, 06:10 PM
how can we watch this event?

Maybe i'll start a thread with all the links I can gather for this event.

MODS: PM me if I may or may not do this.

MR.TRIPDUB
07-19-2011, 01:41 AM
Good, DeAndre Jordan would've eat Team Philippines' centers alive.

Jordan would've been the leAst of their problems.

This is so excting for us. I bet there would 3pt contests, skills and dunk ... Probably not contest but dunk showcase. We have some pretty decent dunkers here to. When kobe and carter came here they had like dunk faceoffs with our locals just for fun.

lakers4sho
07-19-2011, 01:54 AM
I think we have a shot in the 3 pt contest, if anything. Haha. Pathetic but we have to save face somewhere, right? :laugh2:

Raps18-19 Champ
07-19-2011, 02:43 AM
so that's good or bad?

I meant to ask this too but decided not to touch it, all hell might break loose.

Elaborate, i'm dying to know what you mean by this...

Filipinos are the goonest of the Asian countries.

They have the best swag.

JJ_JKidd
07-19-2011, 02:57 AM

One of the smallest countries I think which is so passionate abt basketball. That explains.

NBA-GMaster
07-19-2011, 09:34 PM
The ideal lineup against Smart gilas:
C: Durant
PF:Bryant
SF:Evans
SG:Rose
PG:Paul
Reserve Bigman: McGee
Reserve Foward: Harden
Reserve Guard: Fisher
Coach: ??

AsiandudePH
07-19-2011, 11:14 PM
The ideal lineup against Smart gilas:
C: Durant
PF:Bryant
SF:Evans
SG:Rose
PG:Paul
Reserve Bigman: McGee
Reserve Foward: Harden
Reserve Guard: Fisher
Coach: ??

It ain't confirmed, but rumor has it that Kobe would be playing-coach.

lakers4sho
07-19-2011, 11:35 PM
lol Kobe as a player coach...what a dream come true for him

showtime24
07-20-2011, 12:00 AM
cant wait!

showtime24
07-20-2011, 12:03 AM
C Durant
PF Harden
SF Kobe
SG Rose
PG CP3

that team would still be taller than the philippine and pba team. lol

pero tangina sana mapanis ni jv casio si rose. hahaha

johnny A in his prime > drose LOL

lakers4sho
07-20-2011, 12:21 AM
lol did you know that Johnny A was invited to play in the NBA by some NBA team? I don't remember which team. But boy he was a midget. I remember watching him when I was in the Philippines back then.

AsiandudePH
07-20-2011, 12:33 AM
lol did you know that Johnny A was invited to play in the NBA by some NBA team? I don't remember which team. But boy he was a midget. I remember watching him when I was in the Philippines back then.

I remember he was invited by the Charlotte Hornets (which then I thought was funny given that they already had/they used to have Mugsy).

Anyway, it got cancelled because a Charlotte player got traded for a PG which ended their hunt for a PG.

AsiandudePH
07-20-2011, 12:35 AM
lol Kobe as a player coach...what a dream come true for him

Exactly what I thought! But that was before Fisher was part of the team, so now I don't know. But if I hear anything I'll post it here! haha

FilNugsFan
07-20-2011, 04:06 AM
I remember he was invited by the Charlotte Hornets (which then I thought was funny given that they already had/they used to have Mugsy).

Anyway, it got cancelled because a Charlotte player got traded for a PG which ended their hunt for a PG.

Charlotte didn't gamble and opted for veteran B.J. Armstrong instead.

DodgerBulls
07-20-2011, 05:53 AM
johnny A in his prime > drose LOL

Charlotte didn't gamble and opted for veteran B.J. Armstrong instead.

From what I heard, Johnny A will only consider if he is guaranteed a position in the roster. The Hornets didn't want to gamble then so any Johnny A's talks was thrown into the trash. They would have tried him out at the least, but Johnny A didn't want to gamble either. Remember, he was still in contract with the Alaska (not the state) and was dominating the league that time, named MVP the season prior regarding about this. Atleast I get to see many PBA greats that era due to my family's close relations to the players as my sisters are bestfriends to the daughters of the players because they go to the same school :D. I have the same mid. initial as Johnny A :cool:. I always wonder if he's my long lost tito. Wuhaha. If you're in LA and want to play with some of them, I still do sometimes, just drive by Van Nuys and look for Filipino leagues, you'll see them there.

Oh, the Flying A is as tall as Spud Webb. Unfortunately he can't dunk, but he can score inside and has a great vision. I think the thing that would have killed him in the NBA was that he wasn't a great 3pt shooter, decent at mid, but not behind the line.

LakersIn5
07-20-2011, 07:46 AM
McGee and Durant have just been added

McGee
Durant
Kobe
Rose
CP3

Tyreke
Harden
Derrick Williams
Fisher

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

synister281
07-20-2011, 09:26 AM
McGee and Durant have just been added

McGee
Durant
Kobe
Rose
CP3

Tyreke
Harden
Derrick Williams
Fisher

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

We have to find a way to watch this game...