PDA

View Full Version : David Stern fires 114 NBA employees

asandhu23
07-14-2011, 09:50 PM
NEW YORK (AP)—The NBA laid off about 114 people over the last two days, planned cost-cutting moves that a league spokesman said Thursday are “not a direct result of the lockout.”

The laid off employees represent about 11 percent of the league office workforce in New York, New Jersey and internationally.

Spokesman Mike Bass told The Associated Press the layoffs are “not a direct result of the lockout but rather a response to the same underlying issue; that is, the league’s expenses far outpace our revenues.”

“The roughly 11 percent reduction in headcount from the league office is part of larger cost-cutting measures to reduce our costs by $50 million across all areas of our business,” Bass said.

The league said it lost $300 million this season after losing hundreds of millions in each previous year of the collective bargaining agreement that expired at the end of the day June 30.

Owners locked out the players after the sides remained far apart in their final proposals. Commissioner David Stern said at the time it was too early to think about how it could affect staff, but acknowledged that the league would “have to go back and look at everything now with our operations.”

But the reductions had already begun. The NBA and teams had trimmed staff by about 275 since October 2008, either through layoffs or by leaving positions vacant when employees departed.

The league has also cut administrative costs, travel and new technology. It consolidated offices in Europe and Asia, closing offices in Paris and Tokyo, and is shutting down the studio in Secaucus, N.J. where it annually holds the draft lottery. The NBA Store on 5th Ave. in New York has been closed, though the league has said it will reopen in another location.

Already at least two teams, Detroit and Charlotte, have cut staff since the work stoppage was announced exactly two weeks ago. Stern said that day a lockout “has a very large impact on a lot of people, many of whom or most of whom are not associated with either side.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqtTJl43geDXGLZYbSpSRFVzK7J_?slug=ap-nbalayoffs

boom

albertc86
07-14-2011, 09:52 PM
He needs to fire himself. The man is so arrogant and he oozes that "I dont answer to anyone" attitude. It's starting to get really old.

Hawkeye Nation
07-14-2011, 09:59 PM
i feel like bud selig is the only good commissioner of pro sports

NBA_Starter
07-14-2011, 10:01 PM
This is going to be awhile

sventhedog
07-14-2011, 10:08 PM
add 1% more to the unemployment rate.

NBAfan4life
07-14-2011, 10:12 PM
He should cut his 15+ million salary

avrpatsfan
07-14-2011, 10:13 PM
This is going to easily balance their budget... not.

llemon
07-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Stern and the owners are some greedy and heartless muhfuzz.

But anyone with a sense of reality has surely realized that by now.

Hellcrooner
07-14-2011, 10:39 PM
how bout cuting your salary in half and not firing anyone david?

Sadds The Gr8
07-14-2011, 10:53 PM
He needs to fire himself. The man is so arrogant and he oozes that "I dont answer to anyone" attitude. It's starting to get really old.

this.

Master Mind
07-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Where is the James Harrison of the NBA?

CityofTreez
07-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Breaking News: David Stern just re-hired those 114 NBA employees because he is David Stern!

Ray_R
07-14-2011, 10:55 PM
( ==== http://tinyurl.com/6yflzx4 ==== )
Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
Jeans price is $34 Bikini (Ed hardy, Polo,Gucci,LV,Christan Audigier,Affliction) $15
Sunglasses (Dior, Oakey, coach, Gucci, Armaini)$16
Bikini (Ed hardy, Polo,Gucci,LV,Christan Audigier,Affliction) $15
Jersey price is $29New era cap price is$16
Accept Credit card payment ,Paypal payment, Western Union and electronic bank transfer
Free shipping.Door to Door services!
5 days arrive your home or you
ur friends’ adress by EMS,DHL,UPs
click my link under here!
( ==== http://tinyurl.com/6yflzx4 ==== )

This.

LakersMaster24
07-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Those guys probably trash talked the Heat...

pd1dish
07-14-2011, 10:59 PM
add 1% more to the unemployment rate.

so theres only 11,400 people in our labor force?

airronijordan
07-14-2011, 11:07 PM
he's such an awful commissioner, I wish he stepped down

Melo4Mvp
07-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Those guys probably trash talked the Heat...

:laugh:

Melo4Mvp
07-14-2011, 11:08 PM

And this.

LakersMaster24
07-14-2011, 11:08 PM
he's such an awful commissioner, I wish he stepped down

He is already 68...so I say he will be commissioner for at least 5 more years :facepalm:

DerekRE_3
07-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Stern deserves a raise after that. Firing people is hard work. At the very least he could have done what Goodell did and make his salary $1 during the lockout. That probably goes against Stern's "religious" beliefs though, taking a pay cut like that.

LakersMaster24
07-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Stern deserves a raise after that. Firing people is hard work. At the very least he could have done what Goodell did and make his salary $1 during the lockout. That probably goes against Stern's "religious" beliefs though, taking a pay cut like that.

Great sig :clap:

DerekRE_3
07-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Great sig :clap:

The best part is it's not even photoshopped...true story.

LakersMaster24
07-14-2011, 11:19 PM
The best part is it's not even photoshopped...true story.

No way :laugh: I wonder who elects commissioners...

Hellcrooner
07-14-2011, 11:33 PM

you are walking over thin ice with that statement

DerekRE_3
07-14-2011, 11:52 PM
you are walking over thin ice with that statement

Trust me I know. I also don't care.

KobeOwnSU
07-15-2011, 12:10 AM
The NBA is gonna fold.

John Walls Era
07-15-2011, 12:11 AM

O boy... Was this harmless, careless or intentional :laugh2:

DerekRE_3
07-15-2011, 12:17 AM

100% intentional. But to be clear, I meant he's a greedy jew.

YourTeamSucks
07-15-2011, 12:18 AM

all of the above? :confused:

DerekRE_3
07-15-2011, 12:20 AM
all of the above? :confused:

Don't worry, I have jewish friends. They agree with me about Stern.

marj987
07-15-2011, 01:31 AM
We love you David Stern.....We love that fact that you're acting like an arrogant prick cause you suffer from the pain of a torn vagina....We love the fact that we all know YOUR the real reason why their is no NBA (:facepalm: sadly). We love that fact you just really probably locked out the NBA cause you didn't get the money you wanted trying to force a game seven cause you wasted money placing bets on the Heat to win. Your just a one of a kind leader. We love you.

kidfury
07-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Stern = Douchebag with a power trip

LakersMaster24
07-15-2011, 02:10 AM
I wonder if the fans can force a commissioner to resign. What if we boycott NBA and demand Stern to step down?

Trace
07-15-2011, 02:19 AM

Still pretty racist...

Most of you are forgetting that the NBA is a business and not a charity drive for the world's problems. Stern globalized basketball and the NBA wouldn't be where it is today without Stern. He was one of the first entrepreneurs to embrace social marketing and international demographics and yet, he's not being paid as much as the whiny degenerates making millions of dollars for putting a ball in a basket.

hard_candy
07-15-2011, 02:21 AM
Time to support college basketball...

BillyHoyle35
07-15-2011, 02:35 AM
I love the fact everyone believes Stern fired them,
he more than likely didnt, since the teams fired members from their staff, so its really the teams/owners cutting costs when there is no point paying people to do next to nothing. Its all business.

bmd1101
07-15-2011, 02:55 AM
Where is the James Harrison of the NBA?

Closest thing to that in the NBA is Stan Van Gundy but Stern already had him fitted for a noose.

NBAfan4life
07-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Still pretty racist...

Most of you are forgetting that the NBA is a business and not a charity drive for the world's problems. Stern globalized basketball and the NBA wouldn't be where it is today without Stern. He was one of the first entrepreneurs to embrace social marketing and international demographics and yet, he's not being paid as much as the whiny degenerates making millions of dollars for putting a ball in a basket.

Then don't watch. This is not the players problem that teams are spending to much on ****** players. I bet you would not even consider taking a third pay cut at your job. The worst part is even if the owners got everything they wanted the savings would not be passed down to us fans in the slightest. I have no sympathy for the owners. I also don't feel bad for the players, but I hope they win.

Bryrob58
07-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I dont get why people don't compare this to what happened in the auto industry... Employees (players) got paid too much, company (team) loses some money, makes cuts, fires some folks, become profitable again.

You really think the owners are gonna be cool with not making profits like they have in the past and take it out of their own pockets? The NBA is a business, and it is acting like every other business would. It's a shame some people lost their jobs, but it happens all the time.

What's the big deal here?

Rentzias
07-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Oh, ok, whew! I was getting worried there for a second, and that's the last thing I need: worry.

NYKalltheway
07-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Stern globalized basketball

:laugh:

NBA: 1950 (1947 was BAA...)

Euroleague(or whatever name, top tier continental club competition): started in 1958... a tournament consisting of teams from various European countries as well as Asian/African countries that lied on the Mediterranean Sea. So there was already domestic basketball

EuroBasket(nations' competition): First tournament, 1935
FIBA World Championship (international nations' competition): Started in 1950 where USA lost to Argentina in the final

Basketball was big around the world before Stern even turned to puberty... What exactly did he do to "globalize" the already global game? Be lucky to have teams like Celtics, Lakers, Sixers, Hawks, Pistons, Bulls, SuperSonics, Jazz, TrailBlazers, Knicks, Pacers, Rockets and then Spurs/Lakers?? You know what that did? It made the NBA global... Basketball is a global sport, NBA became famous because of Kareem, Magic, Bird and Jordan, not Stern. Stern just improved relations with FIBA in order to get international players more easily

llemon
07-15-2011, 05:48 PM

Or true?