PDA

View Full Version : Arvydas Sabonis an NBA HOF

CB29
07-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Arvydas Sabonis will be inducted in the Hall of Fame on Aug. 12, via the International committee, amid little knowledge from this side of the world of the contradiction of a mountainous center who could give some point guards lessons on passing. And if there is a lasting sense eight years after the body gave out once and for all and his Trail Blazers career ended, it's not a good one: The best that never was. That's Sabonis, in greatness and disappointment.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/07/13/arvydas-sabonis/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

I still think to this day that he was one of the best centers to ever play and undoubtedly the best passing center ever. It really was unfortunate that he wasn't healthy in the NBA otherwise he could've done so much more. Still a deserving accomplishment for an outstanding talent. :clap:

Swashcuff
07-13-2011, 08:22 PM
He deserves it.

[expecting at least 3 posters to quote me and say no he does]

Geargo Wallace
07-13-2011, 08:28 PM
He deserves it.

[expecting at least 3 posters to quote me and say no he does]

Ferk Yeah he does!

Dash
07-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Who

Rego247
07-13-2011, 08:30 PM
He does deserve it. Congrats to him.

NYKalltheway
07-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Well deserved. Too bad he took so much time to enter the league. He'd be a Top 15-20 player for sure

YourTeamSucks
07-13-2011, 08:32 PM
not impressed

Cano4prez
07-13-2011, 08:43 PM
He and Bill Walton could of been all time greats

Hellcrooner
07-13-2011, 08:51 PM
pity he

1 destroyed his knees when he was young.

2 couldnt make the league until mid 90s.

even with the injurys if he had reported earlier and joined porter, drexler,cliff robinson they would have won at least 1 ring.

without the injury and reporting at the right time we would all be talking bout sabonis the top 10 player ever the top 3 center ever that lead the blazers to 3 to 6 rings.

John Walls Era
07-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Yaos fave player... Hmmm speaking of Yao..

Khalifa21
07-13-2011, 09:03 PM
pity he

1 destroyed his knees when he was young.

2 couldnt make the league until mid 90s.

even with the injurys if he had reported earlier and joined porter, drexler,cliff robinson they would have won at least 1 ring.

without the injury and reporting at the right time we would all be talking bout sabonis the top 10 player ever the top 3 center ever that lead the blazers to 3 to 6 rings.

In Jordan's era? Unlikely... Even the two years when Hakeem got his rings it would've been a massive challenge.

LakersMaster24
07-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Well deserved :clap: I lived in Lithuania for 11 years, and let me tell you this; He is a hero in Lithuania. People love him there, he is a bigger household name than Michael Jordan. He could of been a Top 10 Center of all-time EASILY if the Soviets did not over work him and let his knee recover...:(

cubfan23
07-13-2011, 09:10 PM
The Lithuanian sensation, so sad he never came over younger but still had a good career in the NBA. I wish he came over sooner but since I'm half Lithuanian glad to see this guy making the HOF.

BHF
07-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Who

you do know you are in a nba forum?

gaughan333
07-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Good for him, he was interesting to watch.

Hellcrooner
07-13-2011, 09:20 PM
In Jordan's era? Unlikely... Even the two years when Hakeem got his rings it would've been a massive challenge.

man i saw him play preinjury and he was like Hakeem with better passing and better shooting including 3 pointers, you simply could not guard him AT ALL.
half injured he DESTROYED the Admiral when cccp defeated Usa ( the game that forced usa to start sending nba players)

the only player that could have had given him some issues was shaq but sabas woudl have been a missmatch for shaq too since with his jumpshot and 3p shot he coudl have forced shaq to go to defend him in the perimeter leaving a HOLE for him to make one of his great PASSES .

Add that to DREXLER who is no ****** player precisely, robinson, Porter, Ainge and etc.

That blazers woudl have for SURE defeated the 90 pistons dfeated the bulls some times and of course the rockets.

a healthy sabonis woudl just pee on Dirk, Pau, Ming, Parker and Manus heads as best foreigners ever.

RaiderLakersA's
07-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Congratz.

jimm120
07-13-2011, 09:25 PM

Yeah, Jordan's Era.

If people like Ewing, Robinson, and Shaq couldn't win it during that time, I doubt that Sabonis would have. Sabonis was great...but it was more like he was unique.

LakersMaster24
07-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Yeah, Jordan's Era.

If people like Ewing, Robinson, and Shaq couldn't win it during that time, I doubt that Sabonis would have. Sabonis was great...but it was more like he was unique.

Unique. The word that EXACTLY describes Sabonis. He had a great post game + size + jumpshot + range + good rebounder. He was VERY, VERY good prior to his injuries. You should look up his games from the 80's and you will see.

tredigs
07-13-2011, 09:50 PM
man i saw him play preinjury and he was like Hakeem with better passing and better shooting including 3 pointers, you simply could not guard him AT ALL.
half injured he DESTROYED the Admiral when cccp defeated Usa ( the game that forced usa to start sending nba players)

the only player that could have had given him some issues was shaq but sabas woudl have been a missmatch for shaq too since with his jumpshot and 3p shot he coudl have forced shaq to go to defend him in the perimeter leaving a HOLE for him to make one of his great PASSES .

Add that to DREXLER who is no ****** player precisely, robinson, Porter, Ainge and etc.

That blazers woudl have for SURE defeated the 90 pistons dfeated the bulls some times and of course the rockets.

a healthy sabonis woudl just pee on Dirk, Pau, Ming, Parker and Manus heads as best foreigners ever.

I've seen that game, young David was dominated by Sabonis. From a pure skill set stand point, there may not have been a more complete/elite big than Sabonis. Damn shame he never came over in the late 80's/early 90's to square off against a prime Hakeem. Dream matchup.

Long list of NBA what-if's, but up there with Bill Walton on the disappointing injury list for me.

KnicksR4Real
07-13-2011, 10:00 PM
deserved

Rhino
07-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Sabonis was a great center not good but great. I agree with most if he would have come over earlier the Blazers would have won at least 2 rings during his tenure and it would have been something for the ages.

Rhino
07-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Imagine a 7 footer who could drain the 3 or put it on the floor and take you to the hole and pass it off better then most pg's ever dreamed...

Rhino
07-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Imagine living in that household you better be able to put a 2 liter of vodka or more away a night or ur embarrasing the name.

Crackadalic
07-13-2011, 10:29 PM
So people agree he should be in the hall of fame because of his basketball resume but yao can't get in because of his nba resume even though its called the "BASKETBALL" hall of fame. PSD man gotta love them

Hellcrooner
07-13-2011, 10:42 PM
So people agree he should be in the hall of fame because of his basketball resume but yao can't get in because of his nba resume even though its called the "BASKETBALL" hall of fame. PSD man gotta love them

well to be honest sabonis international resume is muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuch better than mings.

and his nba career i could even argue as better than yaos too specially regarding colective team success ( i refuse to aknowledge the 8 "my fellow countrimen voted me in" allstars)

that said , i think both make the hof.

Crackadalic
07-13-2011, 10:51 PM
well to be honest sabonis international resume is muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuch better than mings.

and his nba career i could even argue as better than yaos too specially regarding colective team success ( i refuse to aknowledge the 8 "my fellow countrimen voted me in" allstars)

that said , i think both make the hof.

I agree. I just hate when people say Yao doesnt deserve it because of his nba resume when his international resume should be look at as well. He also globalized the nba in china which is a big achievement in itself. Its more then just stats but some of the posters here doesnt understand that for some reason

With that said Sabonis should be in the Hall of Fame hands down

hard_candy
07-13-2011, 11:31 PM
It's interesting that Sabonis receives unanimous praise yet Yao is being slammed as unworthy of entry...

I guess 12 pts a game is hall of fame worthy these days.

By the way, there's no such thing as an NBA hall of fame.

marvILLous
07-14-2011, 01:59 AM
congrats to him

i'm hoping the raptors have the guy who can live out the potential that sabonis never got to

:D

Jewelz0376
07-14-2011, 02:30 AM
I always hear/heard about how great he was when he was younger...I've never really seen any footage of him from when he was younger besides maybe that occasional highlight they showed when he was on the blazers... I might need to try and see if I can find an old actual game to watch him play...

LOOTERX9
07-14-2011, 02:40 AM
It's interesting that Sabonis receives unanimous praise yet Yao is being slammed as unworthy of entry...I guess 12 pts a game is hall of fame worthy these days.

By the way, there's no such thing as an NBA hall of fame.

Yao has no international success on the court at all to be in any hall of fame. Plus yao was a flop in the NBA cause of injuries. Sabonis supposedly was great in his country so the basketball h.o.f wants to put him in. This is why NBA needs its own hall of fame and not be connected to the general basketball hall of fame. No one in the most important country knows sabonis was great cause we saw a soft center who was always hurt. He and Yao could not handle the vigours of real basketball talent in NBA.

ElFuturoDeESPN
07-14-2011, 02:41 AM
He's not my-vydas, he's not your-vydas, he's Arvydaaaaaaaaas Saboooooooooonissss.

Good for you, big man. Growing up with the Blazers in the early 90's he would have been their missing link to a MONSTER squad, him, Buck Williams and Kevin Duckworth would have destroyed other teams. Sabas is one of my all-time favorites; his first playoff series against the Jazz (23 and 10) was incredible.

kidinkkk
07-14-2011, 02:52 AM
very well deserved. If he's in, Vlade Divac should get in.

Hellcrooner
07-14-2011, 03:05 AM
not worth getting into trouble for this.

PurpleJesus
07-14-2011, 05:27 AM
Who

stfu

millerandco
07-14-2011, 06:09 AM
being a blazers fan he was one of my fav players ever

North Yorker
07-14-2011, 10:07 AM
must watch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06usV6451ik)

definitely deserving.

North Yorker
07-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Yao has no international success on the court at all to be in any hall of fame. Plus yao was a flop in the NBA cause of injuries. Sabonis supposedly was great in his country so the basketball h.o.f wants to put him in. This is why NBA needs its own hall of fame and not be connected to the general basketball hall of fame. No one in the most important country knows sabonis was great cause we saw a soft center who was always hurt. He and Yao could not handle the vigours of real basketball talent in NBA.

It's funny you say this when a famous Sabonis quote is

"If I knew playing in the NBA was so easy, I would have arrived much sooner..."

Crackadalic
07-14-2011, 11:11 AM

What kind of ignorant **** are you on? Yao did have international success. The fact you said supposedly sabonis is great in his country proves you know nothing of his great international resume.

You say a lot of people dont know who sabonis is but you can say a lot of people outside of the US might not know who Russell, Big-O, Wilt etc is yet there in the hall of fame.

Plus no country is more important then the other just to let you know. No wonder nobody can take you seriously. I don't mind peoples opinion but this post just spews ignorant's all over

Chronz
07-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Yeah, Jordan's Era.

Unlike Robinson and Ewing, Arvydas would have had a team that could make the Finals WITHOUT Him.

ILMindState
07-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Man I wish I saw him before he went to the NBA. He was pretty damn good even past his prime tho.

Minimal
07-14-2011, 11:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlB8tX75Mc
Unique center.
Well deserved.

Hellcrooner
07-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Unlike Robinson and Ewing, Arvydas would have had a team that did make the Finals twice WITHOUT Him.
fixed it for you.

who was going to cover a healthy sabonis? cartwright? then longley? what a joke.

Missing56&33
07-14-2011, 02:33 PM
He should be in there.

Brooklyn Mets
07-14-2011, 02:48 PM
good for him

mttwlsn16
07-14-2011, 02:50 PM
forgot about this dude lol

AIRMAR72
07-14-2011, 03:34 PM

he gets my vote but he WAS nothing like hakeem STOP misleading PSD viewers hakeem da dream is like JORDAN when it comes to centers the DREAM is one of a kind sabonis is more like mark gasol but a better shooter his(sabonis) shots were flat footed he never jumped sabonis IQ for the game was off da charts EXCELLANT passer and skilled on offense he had a nice soft touch in the paint slow footed but when it comes down to passing he reads defense like a NFL QB injuries did slow him down in his early career playing in europe

NYKalltheway
07-14-2011, 03:55 PM
he gets my vote but he WAS nothing like hakeem STOP misleading PSD viewers hakeem da dream is like JORDAN when it comes to centers the DREAM is one of a kind sabonis is more like mark gasol but a better shooter his(sabonis) shots were flat footed he never jumped sabonis IQ for the game was off da charts EXCELLANT passer and skilled on offense he had a nice soft touch in the paint slow footed but when it comes down to passing he reads defense like a NFL QB injuries did slow him down in his early career playing in europe

Really? I mean REALLY???? :facepalm:

Pre-injury Sabonis was the fastest center over 7ft EVER. He was like Magic Johnson with great shooting, plus he played at center and had one of the best post game, similar to Kareem.

Comparing him to Marc freaking Gasol???? :laugh:

Swashcuff
07-14-2011, 04:01 PM

He isn't misleading anyone. Sabonis was a PHENOM! I don't think as highly of him as Crooner (he overrates him IMO though) does but the man does have more expertise on the subject than possibly anyone on this site.

NYKalltheway
07-14-2011, 04:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyzUZWVLJy8

18 year old Sabonis vs U18 USA team ;)

buch88
07-14-2011, 08:41 PM
now its time to put vlade divac in

sventhedog
07-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Arvydas Sabonis is cool so he should be in the HOF.

TrueFan420
07-14-2011, 09:31 PM
good for him

Hellcrooner
07-14-2011, 09:31 PM
He isn't misleading anyone. Sabonis was a PHENOM! I don't think as highly of him as Crooner (he overrates him IMO though) does but the man does have more expertise on the subject than possibly anyone on this site.

i had to suffer him on real madrid kicking barcelonas *** for years on one leg.

and before that i had to bear him in valladolid beating breogan my hometown team *** for some time too.

believe me, ive seen him playin life more than 10 times and he was ashtounding, if not for the injurys and reporting late he would have made the top 20 ever.

even with the injury if he had reported earlier instead of playign here he woudl have gotten into some allstar games and probably his addition would have been enough to help bzlaers win the finals vs pistons or bulls.

hard_candy
07-15-2011, 02:20 AM
Sasha Vujacic first.

now its time to put vlade divac in