PDA

View Full Version : All Mighty Don Nelson wants to coach Timberwolves!

asandhu23
07-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Portland Trail Blazers assistant coach Bernie Bickerstaff, for the moment, is the only known contender for the Minnesota Timberwolves' coaching vacancy.

But a potential Wolves candidate with even more experience unexpectedly surfaced Tuesday when NBA coaching sources said that Don Nelson -- the winningest coach in league history -- is open to a return to the bench and intrigued by the talent on Minnesota's roster.

Wolves president of basketball operations David Kahn said at a Tuesday press conference to formally announce Kurt Rambis' dismissal that he wants an up-tempo coach to take over, particularly with Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio -- drafted with the fifth overall pick in 2009 -- scheduled to finally join the team when the lockout ends. Nelson is certainly well-acquainted with up-tempo basketball.

Yet whether Wolves owner Glen Taylor is ready to spend on a coach with Nelson's resume, especially after firing Rambis with two years left on his contract, remains to be seen.

It's likewise true that Nelson is not the only elite veteran coach for the Wolves to pursue if they wish: Jerry Sloan, Rick Adelman and Larry Brown are also available. There would also undoubtedly be questions about whether Nelson, who turned 71 in May, is the best fit with one of the league's youngest rosters.

But sources told ESPN.com in the aftermath of Rambis' dismissal that Nelson is undaunted by the widespread criticism Minnesota is receiving around the league for dragging out Rambis' dismissal for three months. Sources said Nelson is also known to be a long-time admirer of both Rubio and Wolves forward Kevin Love, with Wolves forward Anthony Tolliver ranking as another Nelson favorite dating to their time together in Golden State.

The next coach hired by Minnesota will be the sixth since Flip Saunders' dismissal during the 2004-05 season. Kevin McHale, Dwane Casey and Randy Wittman all had turns before Rambis, whose 164 games in charge are tied with Bill Musselman for the second-most in franchise history, behind Saunders' 737.

Nelson did not work last season after new Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob decided to make a coaching change just days before the start of training camp. But Nelson managed to pass Lenny Wilkens for first place on the NBA's all-time wins list late in the 2009-10 season and has an overall record of 1,335-1,063 (.557) in coaching stops in Milwaukee, New York, Dallas and two stints with Golden State.

The Oregonian newspaper reported Monday that the Blazers have granted Minnesota permission to interview Bickerstaff, but the previously reported possibility of the Wolves hiring Bickerstaff as head coach to groom his son for the position no longer appears to be an option, with J.B. Bickerstaff poised to join another potential successor to Rambis -- Milwaukee Bucks assistant coach Kelvin Sampson -- in Houston on new Rockets coach McHale's bench.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6763620/sources-don-nelson-interested-coaching-minnesota-timberwolves

Hawkeye15 just committed suicide

Hellcrooner
07-12-2011, 09:45 PM
makes sense, i mean he doesnt know what to do with real centers and preffers to use a pf in the position.

perfect fit with love and randolph in the roster.

John Walls Era
07-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Why would Hawkeye commit suicide? Hes better than who they had last year and might even be a good coach for Rubio.

asandhu23
07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Why would Hawkeye commit suicide? Hes better than who they had last year and might even be a good coach for Rubio.

Don Nelson and rookies = terrible idea. just ask Chris Webber.

TO Rapz
07-12-2011, 09:57 PM

:laugh2:

HouRealCoach
07-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Jerry Sloan could do good with John Stockton couldnt he?

and Adelman could do good with Love right?

Agar81
07-12-2011, 11:40 PM
:worthy:

fadedmario
07-12-2011, 11:59 PM
I LOVE the Wolves lineup. That could be a great ****ing team. So much talent on that roster. When the Pistons aren't playing - the Wolves have officially become my 2nd favorite team (I'm a big Kevin Love fan). I don't blame Nelson for wanting to coach that team - who wouldn't? That team is on the rise - Anyone who says different is blinded by hate. I'd take the Wolves team over the Lakers going forward.

LA_Raiders
07-13-2011, 12:18 AM
too many rooks or donny...

Public Enemy #1
07-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Nelson and Randolph reunion! lol

valade16
07-13-2011, 12:26 AM
I LOVE the Wolves lineup. That could be a great ****ing team. So much talent on that roster. When the Pistons aren't playing - the Wolves have officially become my 2nd favorite team (I'm a big Kevin Love fan). I don't blame Nelson for wanting to coach that team - who wouldn't? That team is on the rise - Anyone who says different is blinded by hate. I'd take the Wolves team over the Lakers going forward.

Yeah, but they're blinded by hate:rolleyes:

GSRaider
07-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Bad idea... He'll drive you mad TWolve fans...

iggypop123
07-13-2011, 12:33 AM
this team is built for don nelson. wesley mathews, derek williams, weed beasley. thats basically his front line already. they must really love rubio to put him in a run and gun system

asandhu23
07-13-2011, 12:34 AM
where is hawkeye? did he....?

Sadds The Gr8
07-13-2011, 12:39 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6763620/sources-don-nelson-interested-coaching-minnesota-timberwolves

Hawkeye15 just committed suicide

lmao.

topdog
07-13-2011, 12:42 AM
A coach who isn't particularly fond of young players and who thinks defense is spelled "O-F-F-E-N-S-E" is not someone I feel is a great choice for our team.

Good to know at least one high profile coach is interested though.

Hawkeye15
07-13-2011, 12:43 AM
ugh. I am a MONSTER Don Nelson fan. He was a Hawkeye!

now, I would be fine with the hire but the Wolves would not be able to move 3 years down the line with Don.

Catfish1314
07-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Rick Adelman is really perfect for the Wolves. He'd have multiple orgasms working with a big as skilled as Love.

Lakerfan8032
07-13-2011, 01:10 AM
I can't understand why any one accomplished would be interested in working for the T-Wolves. They are a horribly run organization and Kahn is a complete embarrassment. Is the owner completely asleep at the helm or does he just not give a ****? This team will be a mess until they take care of the joke running this team. I would assume that the only people they could hire would be a person desperate for a head coaching job, which I guess would qualify Nelson.

Kahn's tenure will be remembered along the lines of the Matt Millen era in Detroit.

LTBaByyy
07-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Playing with this team in NBA 2k12 Franchise mode!!!!!

This is going to be soooo much fun

Rubio
Johnson
Beasley
Love
Darko

Ridnour
Webster
Williams (6th man)
Randolph
Miller

Telfair
Ellington
Hayward
Tolliver
Pekovic

Lets go!!!!!!! :)

fadedmario
07-13-2011, 01:17 AM
I like this lineup better

Rubio
Wes
Beasley
D. Williams
Love

LOADED

LongWayFromHome
07-13-2011, 01:18 AM
This is great if you want to win a bunch of regular season games and then never do anything in the playoffs.

And I'm not necessarily being sarcastic... it would be a huge improvement for the franchise. But don't EVER expect a championship.

fadedmario
07-13-2011, 01:24 AM
Wolves, Thunder, and Clippers are the Western Conference's future.

goldenstater
07-13-2011, 01:35 AM

or Anthony randolph:facepalm:

kntresistheheat
07-13-2011, 01:41 AM
Don Nelson would ruin that team.

BillyHoyle35
07-13-2011, 02:00 AM
this team is built for don nelson. wesley mathews, derek williams, weed beasley. thats basically his front line already. they must really love rubio to put him in a run and gun system

wesley johnson, mathews is at Portland :)

this would not be a good thing for minny,
nelson will just have a random rotation, and eventually start wanting various d-leaguers. his coaching day has passed.

Hellcrooner
07-13-2011, 02:53 AM
You sure are..

pssss in the old times we could laugh at it knowing we would make some more magic trade or fa signign and be back to championships in 3 or 4 years....

but remember jim "freddo corleone" buss is running the show now, and his show is saying bynum is the boss and i wont trade bynum for dwight, and pau and kobe have to eat after drew and have no say on the team because bynum is our future.....

we are preparing for a disaster unless daddy jerry sees the light and sends jimmy to take a ride in a boat in the lake ASAP

John Walls Era
07-13-2011, 03:28 AM
Timberwolves are interested? If Rick Adelman still wants to coach they should sign him instead.

tbone2171
07-13-2011, 09:54 AM

My new favorite poster! :clap:

ttam68
07-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Don Nelson, David Kahn, Michael Beasley and Darko Milicic combined with the legacies left behind by Kurt Rambis and Kevin Mchale could lead to the greatest dynasty the world has ever known.

DerekRE_3
07-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Derrick Williams will probably be Nellie's center.

Sly Guy
07-13-2011, 10:36 AM
lol, just like donnie to pick on the weakest of front office types to promote his winless style of basketball.

GeekInThePink
07-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Teams has ridiculous amounts of potential, I'd say in 2-3 years they COULD be great!

mttwlsn16
07-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Wolves, Thunder, and Clippers are the Western Conference's future.

agreed

SpeeMN
07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Don Nelson? I thought the biggest knock on him was player development. IDK, maybe if we can use him to get Adelman or Sloan in for an interview.

cwilson21
07-13-2011, 11:19 AM
It's cool to hear a high profile coach such as Nelson being interested in the job but hopefully we pass. Adelman would be my first choice.

llemon
07-13-2011, 11:29 AM
TWolves hiring Don Nelson would be an insanely bad idea, and therefore a typical move by David Kahn.

Tony_Starks
07-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Don Nelson is horrible with young players. Keeps them on a extremely short leesh and his minutes are inconsistent with no rhyme or reason. A guy can start one game and then literally not play the next 3.

But on the other hand Nelson and Kahn together would make for hilarious comedy so I say do it!

todu82
07-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Nelson would bring more credibility to the Minnesota team, be interesting to see what happens here. Oh and I agree they're a team on the rise.

smith&wesson
07-13-2011, 12:47 PM
don nelson in huddle " shoot the friggen ball"

don nelson time out " shoot the friggen ball"

don nelson in post game interview " i felt we didnt shoot the ball enough"

don nelson game plan for next game " shoot the ball guys cmon SHOOT"

I was starting to have good and high hopes for a that t-wolves team but if kahn hires this guy he is really setting him self and the team back a year or two. don nelson is not the answer. he has bad relationships with players and preaches no Defence at all. how is that good for a group of younge guys that need to learn to play the game properly ?

llemon
07-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Nelson would bring more credibility to the Minnesota team, be interesting to see what happens here. Oh and I agree they're a team on the rise.

Nelson can't bring credibility to himself.

KnicksR4Real
07-13-2011, 01:14 PM
wow

Wisdom Listens
07-13-2011, 01:20 PM
TWolves hiring Don Nelson would be an insanely bad idea, and therefore a typical move by David Kahn.

A typical move by Kahn? You mean like trading a 2nd round pick for Beasley, essentially trading Randy Foye and Mike Miller for Ricky Rubio, essentially trading Corey Brewer for Anthony Randolph, picking Love over Jefferson, hiring Ronzone, etc etc? Sure he's had a few questionable decisions in his tenure, but what GM hasn't? You people seriously need to get off the guys nuts already, he's taken a mediocre team with a horrible cap situation and given them cap flexibility and loads of potential going forward.

HumanVictoCigar
07-13-2011, 01:51 PM
I love how laker fans seems to conveniently forget that the have 11 championships not 16 (5 championships in Minneapolis).

Anyways, I'm a lot more interested in Sloan or Adelman or even Sam Mitchell for that matter. Wouldn't be completely opposed to The Don, but I don’t think he is the best long term fit.

Tony_Starks
07-13-2011, 02:02 PM
I love how laker fans seems to conveniently forget that the have 11 championships not 16 (5 championships in Minneapolis).

Anyways, I'm a lot more interested in Sloan or Adelman or even Sam Mitchell for that matter. Wouldn't be completely opposed to The Don, but I donít think he is the best long term fit.

The great franchise that is called The Lakers has 16 titles thanks for asking but anyway what does that have to do with Don Nelson being a bad fit to coach the Wolves (subpar) team?

WolvesJagsOs
07-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Rick Adelman is really perfect for the Wolves. He'd have multiple orgasms working with a big as skilled as Love.

Agreed. He's a huge Klove guy, i really do wonder if he would want to...we need a vet coach, thats why hearing Don Nelson doesnt make me feel to bad.

Hawkeye15
07-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I would jizz my pants if they get Adelman. I know he has Love connections (Adelmans kid was Love's highschool teammate), and he is a huge fan of Love, and vise versa, so I am hoping if they throw 4 years, $20 million at Adelman, he bites

mdm692
07-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Nelson is a bad coach for rookies hire him maybe williams, beasly, love will be mistreated and all will ask for trades maybe go to teams where they can actually win

goldenstater
07-13-2011, 04:12 PM
this would be exciting for a year, but this will be a horrible move i the longrun. you will score, thats it. this would completely ****** the growth of this team. he has nothing new to offer a team( old dog, old tricks). he absolutely has no more energy and would hijack your franchise, he is just as much as a premadonna as a lot of the players he coaches. take it from a warriors fan, its exciting at first but gets old really fast. no go.

smith&wesson
07-13-2011, 04:26 PM
ugh. I am a MONSTER Don Nelson fan. He was a Hawkeye!

now, I would be fine with the hire but the Wolves would not be able to move 3 years down the line with Don.

seriously you would be fine with the t-wolves hiring don nelson ? im shocked.

smith&wesson
07-13-2011, 04:28 PM
I would jizz my pants if they get Adelman. I know he has Love connections (Adelmans kid was Love's highschool teammate), and he is a huge fan of Love, and vise versa, so I am hoping if they throw 4 years, $20 million at Adelman, he bites

Much much better.

Lloyd Christmas
07-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Nellie is one crazy SOB. Lets see... Spend your winters in Hawaii playing poker with Willie Nelson (which is true) or coaching in cold *** MN?

Bausman
07-13-2011, 04:43 PM
I'll take a team full of young studs over a team with an antique starting 5. Lakers window is officially closed. Deal with it.

Really? How much did you lose betting on MIA in the finals? The older/smarter team pretty much always wins.

Wisdom Listens
07-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Nellie is one crazy SOB. Lets see... Spend your winters in Hawaii playing poker with Willie Nelson (which is true) or coaching in cold *** MN?

I think it's hilarious how people think Minnesota is some kind of barren ice covered wasteland with igloos and year round ice fishing. You wouldn't think the same thing about Indiana, Chicago or Cleveland but it's just a cold there in the winter. Ignorant *** mother ****ers.

nickdymez
07-13-2011, 04:47 PM

Anyways, I'm a lot more interested in Sloan or Adelman or even Sam Mitchell for that matter. Wouldn't be completely opposed to The Don, but I donít think he is the best long term fit.

lmfao... Yea it sucks to only have 11 tittles... hahahahahahahahhahahhahahah

Wisdom Listens
07-13-2011, 04:50 PM

It's great, but it ain't 16. 5 of those belong to Minneapolis, it's just a fact.

asandhu23
07-13-2011, 04:54 PM

I hate people like you. the ones who shove their team's championships down people's throats.

we fans of losing teams have bad enough of a time already. Leave us the **** alone.

sf-fanatic
07-13-2011, 04:57 PM

When did he get traded to Minnesota ? I thought he was on Portland.

Wisdom Listens
07-13-2011, 05:00 PM
I hate people like you. the ones who shove their team's championships down people's throats.

we fans of losing teams have bad enough of a time already. Leave us the **** alone.

I'm not saying nickdymez fits that profile, but I hate those kind of people as well. They act as if they actually had something to do with it, getting a sense of pride from other peoples accomplishments. It's kinda pathetic. Go ahead and be happy your favorite team won it all, but don't use it as a means to brag or gloat. Also, if someone were to ask me how many championships the Twins won I don't include the championships won by the the Washington Senators, because that would be ridiculous.

llemon
07-13-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm not saying nickdymez fits that profile, but I hate those kind of people as well. They act as if they actually had something to do with it, getting a sense of pride from other peoples accomplishments. It's kinda pathetic. Go ahead and be happy your favorite team won it all, but don't use it as a means to brag or gloat. Also, if someone were to ask me how many championships the Twins won I don't include the championships won by the the Washington Senators, because that would be ridiculous.

I'm a SF Giants fan, and I certainly count the Championships won by the NY Giants. Unfortunately, I also count their Championship failures.

RLundi
07-13-2011, 05:18 PM
I think it'd be interesting and entertaining for a few seasons before he did something absolutely crazy, like start Rubio at PF or something. Then he'd be shown the door.

Lloyd Christmas
07-13-2011, 05:28 PM
I think it's hilarious how people think Minnesota is some kind of barren ice covered wasteland with igloos and year round ice fishing. You wouldn't think the same thing about Indiana, Chicago or Cleveland but it's just a cold there in the winter. Ignorant *** mother ****ers.

Haha. Sensitive much? I would have said the same thing about any city that gets snow in the winter. Let me ask you this. Have you ever had a cold day in Minnesota where you said, "Man I would love to be in Hawaii"? I'm sure not many people in Hawaii have said, "It's January. I wish I was in Minnesota right now."

Hawkeye15
07-13-2011, 05:36 PM
seriously you would be fine with the t-wolves hiring don nelson ? im shocked.

its not that I would be fine with it. I don't think it really helps in the longrun at all. It would bring exciting basketball to the Target Center, but I am worried about creating habits on the defensive end that can't be unlearned.

I would much rather offer Adelman a big deal, or get an assistant that is dying to coach a team

Hawkeye15
07-13-2011, 05:39 PM

I can't stand fans that live vicariously through others failures either. And yep, you hit it on the head. Acting like you were part of your teams success is a joke. Just because your team won something doesn't mean you did squat. If you want to shove success down someones throat, it had better be your own accomplishments, or stfu.

Hawkeye15
07-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Haha. Sensitive much? I would have said the same thing about any city that gets snow in the winter. Let me ask you this. Have you ever had a cold day in Minnesota where you said, "Man I would love to be in Hawaii"? I'm sure not many people in Hawaii have said, "It's January. I wish I was in Minnesota right now."

Minneapolis is built for the winter. Hell, in Houston, if it drops to 28, they shut the city down. In downtown Minneapolis, you never even need to go outside.

For 6 months a year, the weather in Minnesota is amazing. The winters stink, but as I said, the city is built for it.

Wisdom Listens
07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Haha. Sensitive much?

I hear it all the time. Fed up is more like it.

I would have said the same thing about any city that gets snow in the winter. Let me ask you this. Have you ever had a cold day in Minnesota where you said, "Man I would love to be in Hawaii"? I'm sure not many people in Hawaii have said, "It's January. I wish I was in Minnesota right now."

Some people actually prefer winter activities over summer activities. Me personally, I can't stand hot weather.

Hawkeye15
07-13-2011, 05:46 PM

Some people actually prefer winter activities over summer activities. Me personally, I can't stand hot weather.

been in Houston for 16 years now (formerly in Minneapolis). In the winter I lmao at the people here acting like its cold. I have gotten used to the heat, but its so annoying that you sweat at 3 am if you go outside. Its so freakin hot here. Been high 90's for over a month now, with ridic humidity. I go for a run, and I can't go for more than 5 miles before I start getting dizzy from dehydration. Screw that

Denver-boy
07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
being the winiest coach ever, they should be blessed, should be a honor IMO people saying he bad with Rookies? :eyebrow: I question people...theyre out of hand

WolvesJagsOs
07-13-2011, 06:17 PM

This. IDK why people hate the cold so much, i like it. And i agree, i hate hot weather.

Tony_Starks
07-13-2011, 06:18 PM

He wasn't boasting just to boast, the other guy provoked it with the whole lame "Lakers have 11 not 16" argument in a thread that has nothing to do with the Lakers. Which is a incredibly lame way to try to discredit a great team by the way. Laker fans know the history, we get that they started in minny. But its the franchise not the city that gets the credit so why even go there?

Anyway Im a hardcore Laker fan but that doesn't mean I look down on the bad teams. My team winning doesn't make me superior, Im just a fortunate fan to be here. I love the Clippers, Memphis, and Golden State. I actually think the Wolves are intriguing, I just kinda kick them while they are down now because Im still of the opinion David Kahn is incompetent and probably should never make another public statement ever...ever ever!

Lloyd Christmas
07-13-2011, 06:20 PM

I can't stand hot weather either. I went to Arizona State and as soon as I was done it was more of a relief then anything. Hawaii on the other hand is not what I would consider hot weather.

WolvesJagsOs
07-13-2011, 06:22 PM
I have honestly seen many people in the nba forum say crap about the Wolves while saying how great there team is, as well as seeing some people brag about how many championships they won as well though. I think he was talking about that as well, not that one individual poster...

Lloyd Christmas
07-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Minneapolis is built for the winter. Hell, in Houston, if it drops to 28, they shut the city down. In downtown Minneapolis, you never even need to go outside.

For 6 months a year, the weather in Minnesota is amazing. The winters stink, but as I said, the city is built for it.

This is all I'm saying. Nellie lives in Hawaii. Why would he want to coach a winter sport in MN (or any other city that gets snow, Wisdom Listens) when he already has millions in the bank? I know it isn't for his love of coaching.

Everything about coaching annoyed him while with the Warriors (especially at the end). He basically had Kieth Smart completing all coaching duties from game planning, to running practices, to even talking to the media. All Nellie did was sit on the bench on game days and collect his paychecks.

sep11ie
07-13-2011, 06:47 PM
been in Houston for 16 years now (formerly in Minneapolis). In the winter I lmao at the people here acting like its cold. I have gotten used to the heat, but its so annoying that you sweat at 3 am if you go outside. Its so freakin hot here. Been high 90's for over a month now, with ridic humidity. I go for a run, and I can't go for more than 5 miles before I start getting dizzy from dehydration. Screw that

Same here. I'm from Pittsburgh, been here for 13 years now. Daaayyyym it's hot.

fadedmario
07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Really? How much did you lose betting on MIA in the finals? The older/smarter team pretty much always wins.

You clearly didn't read through my posts in this thread. I said I'd take Minnesota going foward. The Lakers won't win it next year and neither will the Wolves, but the Wolves future is MUCH brighter.

D-Leethal
07-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Style wise its a great fit.......personality/age/ability to connect with such a young team wise its an awful fit

Hawkeye15
07-13-2011, 07:11 PM
This is all I'm saying. Nellie lives in Hawaii. Why would he want to coach a winter sport in MN (or any other city that gets snow, Wisdom Listens) when he already has millions in the bank? I know it isn't for his love of coaching.

Everything about coaching annoyed him while with the Warriors (especially at the end). He basically had Kieth Smart completing all coaching duties from game planning, to running practices, to even talking to the media. All Nellie did was sit on the bench on game days and collect his paychecks.

because its not always about weather man. If you are raised in it, it just doesn't bother you all that much. And being in Hawaii is cool, but someone who has been around bball for 60 years misses it if they live somewhere totally isolated from that sport. Nelson was born in snowytown Michigan, went to school at Iowa (hence why I love him), and then was drafted by Chicago. Winters don't bother him

AddiX
07-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Why the hell are we talking about weather?

Hawkeye15
07-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Why the hell are we talking about weather?

because anytime there is a thread concerning someone going to Minnesota, the winters get brought up. Especially by those that don't have winter, which is over half the league.

Tanakid777
07-13-2011, 07:30 PM

:clap:

Wisdom Listens
07-13-2011, 07:47 PM
You clearly didn't read through my posts in this thread. I said I'd take Minnesota going foward. The Lakers won't win it next year and neither will the Wolves, but the Wolves future is MUCH brighter.

I agree, that's what happens when you suck donkey balls for half a decade.

AddiX
07-13-2011, 08:03 PM
At this point minny just needs to make sure they get an NBA proven coach, or this entire thing will crash quickly once the season starts.

Minny has a lot going on with roster changes, youth, no floor leadership, a lot of talent that needs development. The wrong coach and they'll lose an entire season like nothing and be right where they've been the last few years.

Lloyd Christmas
07-13-2011, 08:38 PM
because its not always about weather man. If you are raised in it, it just doesn't bother you all that much. And being in Hawaii is cool, but someone who has been around bball for 60 years misses it if they live somewhere totally isolated from that sport. Nelson was born in snowytown Michigan, went to school at Iowa (hence why I love him), and then was drafted by Chicago. Winters don't bother him

Fair enough. Maybe because I'm from Hawaii/California I just see this as being another crazy Nellie type of move. I just always hear about how old people can't stand the cold weather for various reasons and retire in Florida or whatever. Nellie is going unconventional once again.

gaughan333
07-13-2011, 08:53 PM
I really don't like him in this situation. Hasn't he had a lot of issues with players? This is a young team. Having issues like that with the coach could seriously hinder the development of many of these players. I am actually excited to see the twolves play for the next couple of years, but I'd go with addleman over Nelson.

MTar786
07-13-2011, 09:09 PM
good news for rubio if nelson lets the rookie part slide.

but rubio will never get to display his defense.. if he even has any.

Wisdom Listens
07-13-2011, 09:46 PM
good news for rubio if nelson lets the rookie part slide.

but rubio will never get to display his defense.. if he even has any.

He does.

asandhu23
07-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Rubio's steal defense is going to go way up. He will become a better assists person and a scorer. He might even become a better rebounder ( Nelson taught Ellis and Curry to rebound and they do that pretty well for undersized PG and SG )

llemon
07-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Rubio's steal defense is going to go way up. He will become a better assists person and a scorer. He might even become a better rebounder ( Nelson taught Ellis and Curry to rebound and they do that pretty well for undersized PG and SG )

He could actually become the next Pope.

bringinwood
07-13-2011, 10:59 PM
If i'm willing to spend the money to get a Don Nelson in town, i'd throw that money at Jerry Sloan first...

asandhu23
07-13-2011, 11:07 PM
He could actually become the next Pope.

nah. Popes don't drink. Don Nelson is an alcohol addict. he drank like half the wine at every Warriors' Sponsored Wine Tasting Event.

Bishnoff
07-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Kahn and crazy old Nelson: a match made in heaven.

Poor T-Wolves fans.

llemon
07-13-2011, 11:18 PM
nah. Popes don't drink. Don Nelson is an alcohol addict. he drank like half the wine at every Warriors' Sponsored Wine Tasting Event.

Excuse me, but did you just say that Popes don't drink?

Wisdom Listens
07-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Kahn and crazy old Nelson: a match made in heaven.

Poor T-Wolves fans.

Don't feel bad for us. We're fine.

iFYouSeekAmy
07-13-2011, 11:58 PM
This would be excellent news for the assistant coaches in the Wolves. Why? Because during his stint with the Warriors, all Nellie did was ride the bench and let Smart/Silas do the coaching duties. Hell, they even ran practice, drills and covered the media for Nellie. Don Nelson has made millions just sitting on the bench doing nothing.

Wolves2002
07-14-2011, 12:17 AM
I am amazed at how little respect the winningest coach in NBA history gets around here. I understand the "bad fit" argument, but seriously the guy won like 100000 games

nickdymez
07-14-2011, 02:00 AM

Shouldn't begin sentences like that, makes you sound weak.

VikesTwinsWolve
07-14-2011, 02:07 PM
He wasn't boasting just to boast, the other guy provoked it with the whole lame "Lakers have 11 not 16" argument in a thread that has nothing to do with the Lakers. Which is a incredibly lame way to try to discredit a great team by the way. Laker fans know the history, we get that they started in minny. But its the franchise not the city that gets the credit so why even go there?

Anyway Im a hardcore Laker fan but that doesn't mean I look down on the bad teams. My team winning doesn't make me superior, Im just a fortunate fan to be here. I love the Clippers, Memphis, and Golden State. I actually think the Wolves are intriguing, I just kinda kick them while they are down now because Im still of the opinion David Kahn is incompetent and probably should never make another public statement ever...ever ever!

LMFAO every post I've ever read of yours has been, your team rocks so lets go pick on the last place team in the league. Get over yourself dude your really not as cool as you think you are!! And quit with your bs about the wolves cause your gonna eat it in a year or two!

Missing56&33
07-14-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't think it would be a good fit......Don Nelson likes to run and gun.......Rubio can't shoot and Love is not a running center. Poor Anthony Randolph is either going to get traded or spend a great deal of time on the bench. :pity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZWreUpISqc

Hawkeye15
07-14-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't think it would be a good fit......Don Nelson likes to run and gun.......Rubio can't shoot and Love is not a running center. Poor Anthony Randolph is either going to get traded or spend a great deal of time on the bench. :pity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZWreUpISqc

well, Love is the best fast break initiator in the game probably, and I can't think of another big man that I would want as my trailer to hit 3's.

But the Randolph thing does worry me. Though he did play him in year 2 before Randolph went down.

By the way, if you type in Anthony Randolph into youtube, you can see many of his dunks as well...

valade16
07-14-2011, 03:56 PM
well, Love is the best fast break initiator in the game probably, and I can't think of another big man that I would want as my trailer to hit 3's.

But the Randolph thing does worry me. Though he did play him in year 2 before Randolph went down.

By the way, if you type in Anthony Randolph into youtube, you can see many of his dunks as well...

Really? For the purposes of having a big take 3's you'd rather have Love than Dirk?

Hawkeye15
07-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Really? For the purposes of having a big take 3's you'd rather have Love than Dirk?

I would rather have Love's rebounding/shooting, sure. Please don't think I wouldn't take Dirk over Love as a player, but Love does some things much better than Dirk, and initiating a break is for sure one of them. And Love is deadly as a trailer

Wisdom Listens
07-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Both would be great choices, but neither is obviously better than the other in that area. Love shot 42% from three last season at almost 3 attempts per game.

Hawkeye15
07-14-2011, 04:37 PM
by the way, Love hit more threes, and shot a better percentage than Dirk this year. The only guy better than Love as a big was Bonner, and he was a sniper who did nothing else.

WolvesJagsOs
07-14-2011, 06:27 PM
according to tweets from Marc Stein of ESPN.

Sources say Wolves plan to talk to both Nelson and Adelman to gauge their interest in replacing Rambis. Kahn, remember, wants up-tempo coach.

:pray: adelman

TrueFan420
07-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I am amazed at how little respect the winningest coach in NBA history gets around here. I understand the "bad fit" argument, but seriously the guy won like 100000 games

he gets no respect because he lets his ego get in the way and he quits on his teams.

sventhedog
07-14-2011, 09:04 PM
don nelson is great.

llemon
07-14-2011, 09:26 PM
don nelson is great.

At what?

TrueFan420
07-14-2011, 09:28 PM
At what?

nelson can drink you under the table

llemon
07-14-2011, 09:45 PM
nelson can drink you under the table

Possibly. But maybe not.

But I'm certainly a better value to a team as an NBA coach than Nelson.

TrueFan420
07-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Possibly. But maybe not.

But I'm certainly a better value to a team as an NBA coach than Nelson.

i dont know you but id put money on nelson to drink most people under the table.

and no your not better value to a team as a head coach but nelson has zero value right now. he has too big of an ego and he quits on his teams. i wouldnt let nelson close to the wolves if i were in charge of them cause love wont resign after he is forced to play every minute at center.

nickdymez
07-14-2011, 10:24 PM
LMFAO every post I've ever read of yours has been, your team rocks so lets go pick on the last place team in the league. Get over yourself dude your really not as cool as you think you are!! And quit with your bs about the wolves cause your gonna eat it in a year or two!

Something a fan of a ****** team would say.

Hawkeye15
07-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Something a fan of a ****** team would say.

remember when it was pointed out that fans of successful teams that act like they had some importance in their teams success, and how they annoy others?

Come up with another response.

nickdymez
07-15-2011, 12:59 AM
remember when it was pointed out that fans of successful teams that act like they had some importance in their teams success, and how they annoy others?

Come up with another response.

Im a raider and dodger fan.. But i dont cry when yankee and patriot fans talk **** to me... Good thing dont take sports to serious huh?

Wisdom Listens
07-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Im a raider and dodger fan.. But i dont cry when yankee and patriot fans talk **** to me... Good thing dont take sports to serious huh?

Is that what he was doing? Crying?

Hawkeye15
07-15-2011, 01:19 AM

I am a Yankee fan. I wouldn't use the team that I follow's success to actually respond to a poster, as if I am a functional part of the team however.

Making statements, or posting on some site you belong to, with assumed arrogance because the team you follow is successful, is, and will continue to be, a pathetic response

nickdymez
07-15-2011, 01:35 AM
I am a Yankee fan. I wouldn't use the team that I follow's success to actually respond to a poster, as if I am a functional part of the team however.

Making statements, or posting on some site you belong to, with assumed arrogance because the team you follow is successful, is, and will continue to be, a pathetic response

Im happy for you buddy...

nickdymez
07-15-2011, 01:35 AM
Is that what he was doing? Crying?

I didnt say what he was doing, i said what i dont do...

willsayanything
07-15-2011, 01:55 AM
Sources say Don Nelson is on the TWould'ves coaching list. Sources close to Don Nelson say he is on the TWould'ves coaching list. Sources, ehghmm, Don Nelson says Don Nelson is on the TWould'ves coaching list.