07-12-2011, 02:35 PM
:clap:

this is just like the lebda trade, jays style. :cool:

broncosfan_101
07-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!

StayOnBoard
07-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Doesn't matter if they traded him for nothing - see ya later and don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.

bartron_44
07-12-2011, 02:57 PM
If LA gives us anything for him AA did a great job again......Thames and Snider will give us much then he was...

nstojic
07-12-2011, 02:59 PM
about time (about time)

j-mart
07-12-2011, 03:06 PM
The Dodgers will throw in a bag of balls and a Mike Piazza bobblehead to complete the trade.

bomber0104
07-12-2011, 03:10 PM
that means we dont have to pay his salary right?

thats 2.5 mills that should go to get Norris and Beede signed

thats why i dont understand teams not paying to sign prospects.. you have no problem giving guys like Rivera 2.5 mills to play for another team (if he wasn't traded) but won't sign top draft picks when they ask for 500 Ks more or so

StayOnBoard
07-12-2011, 03:21 PM

thats why i dont understand teams not paying to sign prospects.. you have no problem giving guys like Rivera 2.5 mills to play for another team (if he wasn't traded) but won't sign top draft picks when they ask for 500 Ks more or so

Actually... cash went back to the Dodgers - so we're paying at least some portion of his salary. Not sure the details, don't think they've been released yet.

Doesn't matter - a C- prospect and a bit of cash is worth having him gone off the roster.

broncosfan_101
07-12-2011, 03:24 PM

Gotta look at the big picture. We didn't have a problem paying Rivera because his salary was better than paying Vernon $21M.

broncosfan_101
07-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Heyman from SI said AA is almost loaning money to McCourt. Giving cash up only to get cash back at the end of the season.

StayOnBoard
07-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Heyman from SI said AA is almost loaning money to McCourt. Giving cash up only to get cash back at the end of the season.

Interesting... I wonder which player will end up going Toronto's way? Not as if it REALLY matters - happy to just have that roster spot open for Thames on a full time basis.

PJ Awesome
07-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Good.

ChongInc.
07-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Pce

KingCanada
07-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Good lets play nice with the Dodgers and find away to steal Matt Kemp

bomber0104
07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Gotta look at the big picture. We didn't have a problem paying Rivera because his salary was better than paying Vernon $21M.

that wasn't what i'm complaining about

Dol-Fan
07-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Good lets play nice with the Dodgers and find away to steal Mark Kemp

While we're at it, we should get AA to reach out to Matt Gasol about coming to Toronto...

lexecutioner
07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
While we're at it, we should get AA to reach out to Matt Gasol about coming to Toronto...

Pau and Mark's sibling?

broncosfan_101
07-12-2011, 04:08 PM
that wasn't what i'm complaining about

I know, but when you say 'we're ok with paying Rivera to play for another team'...it's only because he represented an out from the Vernon contract that we took him on in the first place. It has nothing to do with us valuing a bench player like Rivera over our draft picks, they're completely different situations. All you can say about it is that we valued paying $5M for Rivera above paying $21M for Vernon.

KingCanada
07-12-2011, 04:11 PM
my bad,:facepalm: Mark Kemp is a guy at my work LOL Matt Kemp

lexecutioner
07-12-2011, 04:12 PM
my bad,:facepalm: Mark Kemp is a guy a my work LOL Matt Kemp

lol thinking about a guy at your work? ;)

broncosfan_101
07-12-2011, 04:14 PM
PS. Blair just noted on Prime Time, and I had no idea, that Rivera is killing lefties. He's been a .393 wOBA hitter (in just 65 PA's, .357 career number) against LHP.

This makes me like the deal even more, I think. He'd be a legit platoon guy with Thames or Snider, but we must want them to face lefties on a consistent basis. That should allow them to become more complete hitters.

TO Rapz
07-12-2011, 04:14 PM
lol thinking about a guy at your work? ;)

:laugh2:

Cali Vikesfan
07-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Does this create a spot for Brett Lawrie to be called up later this month? I'm thinking they would move Thames to LF, Bautista back to RF and Lawrie starting at 3B. With Snider, maybe even leave Bautista at 3B and start Lawrie at 2B.

Bob_at_york
07-12-2011, 04:39 PM
good luck to rivera. Too bad it didn't work out here.

kovah
07-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Pau and Mark's sibling?

When you are going to correct someone, the least you can do is not make a mistake yourself.... It is Marc Gasol, not Mark.... But nice try

Nofear
07-12-2011, 06:07 PM
PS. Blair just noted on Prime Time, and I had no idea, that Rivera is killing lefties. He's been a .393 wOBA hitter (in just 65 PA's, .357 career number) against LHP.

This makes me like the deal even more, I think. He'd be a legit platoon guy with Thames or Snider, but we must want them to face lefties on a consistent basis. That should allow them to become more complete hitters.

The lefty he was killing the most was Romero

es0terik
07-12-2011, 06:17 PM
When you are going to correct someone, the least you can do is not make a mistake yourself.... It is Marc Gasol, not Mark.... But nice try
He was correcting someone? I thought he was just curious if the guy in question was related to another player...

And @ everyone else in this post, the way you're talking about Rivera, don't start crying if he becomes the next Bautista.

lexecutioner
07-12-2011, 06:24 PM

yeah wasnt correcting him we are pertaining to someone who said mark kemp lol, if you are gonna correct somebody you assume corrected someone who didnt corrected someone make sure you are correct ;)

JaysFan87
07-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Does this create a spot for Brett Lawrie to be called up later this month? I'm thinking they would move Thames to LF, Bautista back to RF and Lawrie starting at 3B. With Snider, maybe even leave Bautista at 3B and start Lawrie at 2B.

Lawrie at 2B is not an option.

es0terik
07-12-2011, 06:27 PM
yeah wasnt correcting him we are pertaining to someone who said mark kemp lol, if you are gonna correct somebody you assume corrected someone who didnt corrected someone make sure you are correct ;)
*correct

JoeyBats
07-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Good Ridence!!

lexecutioner
07-12-2011, 06:30 PM
*correct

are you sure you are correct? if yes, thank you for correcting :)

DwayneMVPwade
07-12-2011, 07:17 PM
good luck rivera

bomber0104
07-12-2011, 07:41 PM
I know, but when you say 'we're ok with paying Rivera to play for another team'...it's only because he represented an out from the Vernon contract that we took him on in the first place. It has nothing to do with us valuing a bench player like Rivera over our draft picks, they're completely different situations. All you can say about it is that we valued paying $5M for Rivera above paying $21M for Vernon.

again you didn't get me.. maybe i should have been clearer but i wasn't talking about the Jays in particular but rather major laegue teams in general

Billyen
07-12-2011, 08:14 PM
The Dodgers will throw in a bag of balls and a Mike Piazza bobblehead to complete the trade.

Don't be knocking the power of the Mike Piazza bobblehead.

H-MYK
07-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Adios Juan. Good luck in Dodger Blue

Billyen
07-12-2011, 08:16 PM
And @ everyone else in this post, the way you're talking about Rivera, don't start crying if he becomes the next Bautista.

:facepalm:

Billyen
07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
*correct

So we have a grammar and spelling nazi in a sports forum. Great...you'll fit right in!

broncosfan_101
07-12-2011, 09:07 PM

Haha...dude, not sure if you're serious, but there has only been one Bautista in baseball history. Literally. No one has ever done what he's done, in the thousands and thousands of people who have played in the majors. Therefore, none of us should be worried about that.

BlueJayFanDan
07-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Ugh, we sent him to my hometown team :facepalm:. I have tickets to a Dodger game next month. I was hoping I would never have to see him again. At least we got rid of him. LOVE YOU AA!

jaysnraptors44
07-12-2011, 10:07 PM
lets go get thames i think he could be great off the bench

ThunderZubb
07-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Bye bye Juan u fat piece if **** and when he played for this team. It seemed that he did not care one bit.

BlueJayFanDan
07-12-2011, 10:09 PM
lets go get thames i think he could be great off the bench

Huh? Thames is already playing with us and has been starting...

broncosfan_101
07-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Huh? Thames is already playing with us and has been starting...

MARCUS Thames was DFA'd by LA to make room for Rivera.

wamco
07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Haha...dude, not sure if you're serious, but there has only been one Bautista in baseball history. Literally. No one has ever done what he's done, in the thousands and thousands of people who have played in the majors. Therefore, none of us should be worried about that.

ditto, comment made no sense

Bombtista
07-12-2011, 10:47 PM
So we have a grammar and spelling nazi in a sports forum. Great...you'll fit right in!

hahhahahha i like this post

nithanyo
07-12-2011, 11:28 PM
we got next to nothing for him. Oh well

nstojic
07-12-2011, 11:39 PM

:pity: people...people... We GOT RID OF THE VERNON WELLS CONTRACT!!!!!!! What more do some of you want?!?!

Jays Claw
07-13-2011, 12:50 AM
:pity: people...people... We GOT RID OF THE VERNON WELLS CONTRACT!!!!!!! What more do some of you want?!?!

That is all I thank Rivera for in his time here in Toronto. If it weren't for him, Wells would still be on our team and we would be in a bad financial situation right about now. But other than that, he pretty much hasn't done anything to warrant a respected goodbye from me. Good riddance!

bomber0104
07-13-2011, 12:53 AM
as for the people that hate my posts.. thats one less guy you guys have to worry about me *****ing about

tuck25
07-13-2011, 01:14 AM
as for the people that hate my posts.. thats one less guy you guys have to worry about me *****ing about

lol, good one...

GNick
07-13-2011, 03:06 AM
Rivera was a bad contract we took on as part of moving Vernon Wells, along with giving Angels 6.5 million. About time he moved on

BlueJayFanDan
07-13-2011, 03:49 AM
MARCUS Thames was DFA'd by LA to make room for Rivera.

Ohhhh. My bad, I did not know that.

Halladay
07-13-2011, 05:09 AM
Too bad really, I thought he was lighting it up this season.

StayOnBoard
07-13-2011, 08:07 AM

Man, you are NEVER happy are you? What did you expect to get for Rivera?

I guess because we didn't get Kershaw and Dee in the deal it was a loss for the Jays. :facepalm:

OH WAIT... we traded Vernon's impossible to move contract and now got all the money off the books (at least for next season - if nothing else).

Fantastic move by AA. Now get rid of half the bullpen and Ill be most pleased.

Shifty1 69
07-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Outside of the ability to be a sub standard CF, I wish it was Patterson that left and Rivera stayed.

They owed nothing to Rivera as far as playing time, he was killing LHP would have been a great bat off the bench late in games, especially with Snider and Thames being lefties. With Patterson being a LH hitter he is rather redundant when he will be fighting with Snider and Thames for AB's. Rivera also provided a good backup at 1b and somewhat passable (albeit barely) on the corner OF spots.

Good luck in LA Yawn Rivera.:cool:

North Yorker
07-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Outside of the ability to be a sub standard CF, I wish it was Patterson that left and Rivera stayed.

They owed nothing to Rivera as far as playing time, he was killing LHP would have been a great bat off the bench late in games, especially with Snider and Thames being lefties. With Patterson being a LH hitter he is rather redundant when he will be fighting with Snider and Thames for AB's. Rivera also provided a good backup at 1b and somewhat passable (albeit barely) on the corner OF spots.

It probably wasnt between Patt and Rivera, it was between EE and Rivera, and we should clearly have kept EE.

Rivera wasnt gonna see any more of the OF with Snider/Davis/Patt/Thames/Bautista already there. EE and Rivera were fighting for the DH/back-up 1B spot, and Rivera lost.

Kenny Powders
07-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Good riddance. Rivera is a putz

Shifty1 69
07-13-2011, 04:41 PM
It probably wasnt between Patt and Rivera, it was between EE and Rivera, and we should clearly have kept EE.

Rivera wasnt gonna see any more of the OF with Snider/Davis/Patt/Thames/Bautista already there. EE and Rivera were fighting for the DH/back-up 1B spot, and Rivera lost.

What does this have to do with my opinion that they should have traded/DFA'd Patterson instead of Rivera? It was strictly an opinion.

I didnt comment on EE, I realize he would likely lose some AB's to Rivera at DH, but who the hell really cares anyways, once Lawrie is up, EE's days at DH are numbered IMO.

fatkev78
07-13-2011, 04:55 PM

This year is all about developing the kids (not sure how many times I'm going to have to type that); therefore, I would not want to see Snider or Thames losing any AB's to Rivera. I especially want to see them in there vs lefties.

As for Rivera - he did his job. He was a placeholder until Snider was ready to come back up (giving him a chance to work on his swing) and was able to play 1st in a pinch (Lind hurt). Most importantly he made the Wells trade work.

North Yorker
07-13-2011, 05:10 PM
What does this have to do with my opinion that they should have traded/DFA'd Patterson instead of Rivera? It was strictly an opinion.

I didnt comment on EE, I realize he would likely lose some AB's to Rivera at DH, but who the hell really cares anyways, once Lawrie is up, EE's days at DH are numbered IMO.

I was just guessing that they were contemplating between DFA'ing EE and Rivera instead of Patt, since they both are RH hitters and play the same positions.