PDA

View Full Version : Could a relegation system work in the NBA?

Avenged
07-10-2011, 05:50 PM
This is just for discussion purposes.. Lets say the NBA adopted a relegation system in which the last seeded team is relegated to lets say.. the D-League, and the champion of the D-League replaces them.

Would this work? I would assume the draft would be affected by this, but I think the whole point of putting a relegation system would be to avoid teams from "tanking" their season away for the lottery.

Perhaps you guys can provide your ideas on how a relegation system would work in the NBA? Or if it wouldn't.

mzgrizz
07-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I would think a 2 strikes rule should apply. That should make that team extremely competetive the next year!

Robbw241
07-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Aren't most D League teams operated by NBA teams though?

Rosh
07-10-2011, 06:03 PM
I think the talent disparity is just too great.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-10-2011, 06:10 PM
no

PhillyFaninLA
07-10-2011, 06:18 PM
This is just for discussion purposes.. Lets say the NBA adopted a relegation system in which the last seeded team is relegated to lets say.. the D-League, and the champion of the D-League replaces them.

Would this work? I would assume the draft would be affected by this, but I think the whole point of putting a relegation system would be to avoid teams from "tanking" their season away for the lottery.

Perhaps you guys can provide your ideas on how a relegation system would work in the NBA? Or if it wouldn't.

I don't like this idea at all.

But if you want to avoid tanking then do 2 things.

- get rid of the lottery
- any team that tanks forfeits there right to draft in the first round for the net 5 years (meaning they couldn't even trade for a first rounder) and fine the owner heavily

NYKalltheway
07-10-2011, 06:19 PM
No... on its own it does nothing... And Avenged24, there's already an older topic with like 400 posts on this, that's bad moderating :D

To explain myself further, a relegation system is more fair as it punishes the bad teams, but the NBA seems to love losers and give them draft picks. Guess what, no more draft... If you introduce a relegation system, you need to enhance the transfer market, you need to change many core rules etc

Imagine the Cavs or the Timberwolves accepting to trade Hickson (happened) or Love(won't happen imo but just saying) for a younger player... It would never happen under a relegation system. What team would accept to fall down into 2nd tier? This would make bad teams terrible to deal with and good teams will not be improving either, while middle of the pack teams will just trade with each other, do lateral moves.

You need a legit transfer system (buy-sell), no more draft and no more intentional tanking... if you want to relegate teams ;)

NYKalltheway
07-10-2011, 06:25 PM
I don't like this idea at all.

But if you want to avoid tanking then do 2 things.

- get rid of the lottery
- any team that tanks forfeits there right to draft in the first round for the net 5 years (meaning they couldn't even trade for a first rounder) and fine the owner heavily

How do you know the team intentionally tanks its season? What if they really suck?

TopsyTurvy
07-10-2011, 07:16 PM
No way.

Not enough talent/development of players, not enough market support, revenue sharing would be even MORE broken, typical investor/owner base would shift markedly, etc.

The only sport where relegation MAY work is the NFL and no team there (since they are all very lucrative) would support any drastic change.

Hellcrooner
07-10-2011, 08:54 PM
no..

they way you use it theres too much difference in level.

relegation only works in an euro system, with free market and where EVERY SINGLE town/city has a team and owners spend in the realm of theyr posibilites and GROW their city and state talents inside the team in youth schemes.

this type of thing would collide with the ncaa then draft system so is not a viable option for nba, nhl, nfl or mlb.

they only league it would work is Mls since theres not strong tradition in mens ncaa soccer tourneys so you could remove it and do as advised and create teams everywhere.

TrueFan420
07-10-2011, 09:41 PM
the short answer is that it simply wouldnt work in the nba

kjoke
07-10-2011, 09:53 PM
what they need to do is set up a lottery where the worst teams would get two 1st rounders instead of one. And this isnt like soccer, talent much more concentrated.

PhillyFaninLA
07-10-2011, 10:02 PM
How do you know the team intentionally tanks its season? What if they really suck?

Great question

One thing would be something like David Robinson missing 2 months with a hang nail.

My point is there are situations where is can be obvious.

edit:

But I do agree my idea is seriously flawed.

JPHX
07-10-2011, 10:03 PM
i dont think tanking is such a glaring issue that this rule needs to be employed. if that were the case your talking about sending Minny and Kevin Love, an all star, to the dleague. doesnt make any sense. then if the D-League team replaces, how does the draft work now???

naps
07-10-2011, 10:31 PM
It won't work because the best D-League players apparently can't buy more than 10 mins a game in the NBA rental. So the worst team in the NBA will destroy the D-league and the best D-league team won't win more than 10 games (if lucky) in a NBA season.

Becks2307
07-11-2011, 12:41 AM
How about this
we keep relegation and give the top drafts picks to the top d league teams, meaning that they are rewarded for being promoted to the nba, that would be pretty cool

LA_Raiders
07-11-2011, 01:19 AM
Wont work because of the NBAs BS, but It would be great for the "sport"...

ne3xchamps
07-11-2011, 09:35 AM
I think the talent disparity is just too great.

agreed. exactly why it wouldn't work. It would just be too crazy with talent levels so far apart and what not.

Becks2307
07-11-2011, 01:11 PM
agreed. exactly why it wouldn't work. It would just be too crazy with talent levels so far apart and what not.

it might be at first for a while, but eventually everything will even out with d league players getting better from playing better competition etc..