PDA

View Full Version : Golden State Warriors: Hardaway, Webber and the '90s Super Team That Never Was

NetsPaint
07-10-2011, 06:03 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/757838-golden-state-warriors-hardaway-webber-and-the-90s-super-team-that-never-was

I know a lot you Warriors fans are familiar with this, but I wasn't. I was curious though if they did have a potential super team, or why they weren't, because I knew these players were on the team in the early-mid 90s, but didn't know if they were all on the team the same time or whatever. That team could have been sick. Eventually they probably couldn't afford that team, but with rookie contracts they could have had a great run.

likemystylez
07-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Unfortunately they didnt have "rookie contracts" as we know them today back then. They were all on the team together for one year, but tim hardaway tore his acl during that pre season. That team would have still been a pretty bad defensive team (especially upfront) because webber was an undersized center, owens was an undersized 4 and Mullin is Mullin.

Webber didnt get along with Nelson, sprewell owens and webber were best friends. Nelson got rid of webber for Googliota and 3 future first round picks from washington (which actually wasnt a horrible deal- if they gave it a chance for more then 2 months)

Then Billy Owens was traded for Rony Siekely. At the time of the trade, Siekley was coming off a season where he averaged 16 and 12. Unfortunately, Sprewell wasnt happy with either of those players being traded. As the season went on, Tim hardaway and Latrel Sprewell eventually hated one another. (I'm not really sure why? I guess they each just thought it was their team)

This all went ugly in the 94-95 season. With Webber whining about nelson and refusing to sign, and chris mullin injured early on. The warriors still started out the season 6-0. I think they scored like 160 points opening night against denver that year, then on the tail end of a back to back in san antonio I think they scored like 136 or something. LOL if your team is pouring in 160 points, then 136 whiling being tired against defensive powerhouse San Antonio... it really doesnt matter what kind of defense your playing.

After this truely bizar season, the warriors were 26-56 (following a 50 win season without their starting PG all year). The warriors did land the 1st pick in the draft. They selected Joe Smith... who had what I thought was a very strong rookie season 15 and 8.5. He got less aggressive in his second season and started settling for more and more jump shots. He and sprewell became very close..... and IMO joe smith stopped listening to coaching because of sprewells influence.

Man this is depressing, and almost unbelievable how so many things could go wrong in such a short period of time for one team.

Lloyd Christmas
07-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Wound- reopened

PolloLoco
07-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I remember that when the Owens for Seikaly trade went down - I and everyone around me thought that it would bring this team a championship. With Mullin (somewhat) filling in the void at small forward, Tim Hardaway an upgrade over Avery Johnson and Rony Seikaly a big upgrade over the centers we'd previously fielded. Though when all's said and done - I have to respect Big Vic Alexander.

In short, our starting 5 would have been:

1 - Tim Hardaway
2 - Latrell Sprewell
3 - Chris Mullin
4 - Chris Webber
5 - Rony Seikaly

That's at least 4 all stars - I can't remember if Seikaly ever made the all star team.

But what no one expected was that the trade for Seikaly would be the straw that broke the camel's back in Webber's eyes. Already feuding with Don Nelson - Owens was his best friend on the team and Webber was furious. So he refused to sign and the team slowly fell apart after that. I can only wonder what might have happened if Webber stayed.

allvalleychamp
07-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Actually before that Mitch Richmond was traded for Owens- he was an awesome defender and a team of Hardaway, Richmond, Mullins, Webber would have been special- Cohen arrives and amazingly breaks it up before it even gets started!

likemystylez
07-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Actually before that Mitch Richmond was traded for Owens- he was an awesome defender and a team of Hardaway, Richmond, Mullins, Webber would have been special- Cohen arrives and amazingly breaks it up before it even gets started!

if the warriors kept mitch richmond, its likely they wouldnt have been a bad enough team to get the 3rd pick in the draft (which they used to trade for webber). Also- if they kept richmond, I dont know if they would have used their previous pick on latrel sprewell (who had more potential than richmond on the defensive side of the ball)

TrueFan420
07-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Wound- reopened

this... plus id like to add that webber is a cry baby and someone should have slapped that kid in the face and said grow up.

likemystylez
07-10-2011, 11:35 PM
this... plus id like to add that webber is a cry baby and someone should have slapped that kid in the face and said grow up.

true, but don nelson was equally immature, the only difference is that webber was a 20 yr old kid, and don nelson was a 50 yr old man.

TrueFan420
07-10-2011, 11:35 PM
although to be fair someone should have done the same to nelson

TrueFan420
07-10-2011, 11:37 PM
true, but don nelson was equally immature, the only difference is that webber was a 20 yr old kid, and don nelson was a 50 yr old man.

thats funny i was in the middle of saying nelson needed the same treatment and you posted this. its true nelson was a child trapped in an adults body.

Clsmooth22
07-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Painful to read, but a great article. The billy owens trade managed to piss everyone off in both directions. Mullin & Hardaway lose the "M" in the Run TMC, for Owens... then Webber loses his backboard passing buddy in Owens. Sure we could wish or speculate on an injury free season, but don't you think we should have dumped Nelson in the Webber/Nelson standoff?