PDA

View Full Version : Stoudamire to join the emigration list?

Hellcrooner
07-09-2011, 12:17 PM
http://www.shalomlife.com/news/15540/is-amare-considering-maccabi-during-nba-lockout/

So thats Deron, wade, kobe, Pau, Marc, Dirk, Kirilenko...........Owners better bow down and reach an agreement next week

Cano4prez
07-09-2011, 12:55 PM
He would dominate,i'm pretty sure Carlos Arroyo won MVP of the Israeli league

kozelkid
07-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Not really. Stars will obviously be able to find other places to play; it's the average role players that the owners I have to convince to get what they want. Role players will find it much harder to find a league to join where they get a nice pay. And since the majority of the union consists of such players, all it takes is for them to get desperate to get paid and the owners get what they want.

jiggin
07-09-2011, 01:00 PM
why would the owners do anything in response to this? the owners are saving money by not having the season under the past CBA where they lost BILLIONS.

If these players get hurt with any significant injury, which happens all the time, then they will SCREW themselves and their current contracts with the NBA team they are with.

This is a real BONEHEAD move by the players that only can cause even more drama and issues during this lockout. It doesn't force the owners to do ANYTHING different than if the players stay at home and do nothing.

All this does is subject the players to screwing up their contracts in the NBA...that's it. Sure, they get paid to play in Europe but ONLY the superstars. The rest of the league continues to not get paid...so that solves a lot doesn't it!

LOL

players and fans are so one dimensional on this topic. ITS A BUSINESS. It won't continue to survive under its current CBA business model. Pretty easy to figure out.

NYKalltheway
07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Haha Amare and big Sofo... worst defensive bigs in Euroleague :p

jiggin
07-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Not really. Stars will obviously be able to find other places to play; it's the average role players that the owners I have to convince to get what they want. Role players will find it much harder to find a league to join where they get a nice pay. And since the majority of the union consists of such players, all it takes is for them to get desperate to get paid and the owners get what they want.

exactly...and the all-star players vote has the same value as the role player who is not getting paid. So, when that CBA is on the table and requiring players votes...are the guys at home not getting paid and not making star wages going to side with the superstars who are not only getting paid A LOT but continue to get paid alot...or are they going to compromise with ownership so they can get back to being paid and playing?

Ownership is getting back into their rightful position, OWNERS. They control it all...as they should since they own it all. Over the last 6 years and the old CBA that was not the case...and the owners learned from that mistake. But it won't happen again...obviously they are making sure of it.

smith&wesson
07-09-2011, 01:08 PM

It wasnt too hard for scalabrine. and he isnt even a role player.

Tony_Starks
07-09-2011, 01:23 PM

Sonny Weems signed. Darius Songala as well. Nenad Kristic. Von Wafer is talking about it. Not to mention some of the rookies. Those are "average role players." And they are signing without any intention of coming back for at least a season. The Euro leagues don't care they just want NBA players. They'd prefer superstars of course but it looks like they are taking whatever they can get. From their perspective the buzz and boost in ticket sales is worth it, even if only temporary.....

J-Relo
07-09-2011, 01:27 PM

he's a superstar

Tony_Starks
07-09-2011, 01:31 PM
why would the owners do anything in response to this? the owners are saving money by not having the season under the past CBA where they lost BILLIONS.

If these players get hurt with any significant injury, which happens all the time, then they will SCREW themselves and their current contracts with the NBA team they are with.

This is a real BONEHEAD move by the players that only can cause even more drama and issues during this lockout. It doesn't force the owners to do ANYTHING different than if the players stay at home and do nothing.

All this does is subject the players to screwing up their contracts in the NBA...that's it. Sure, they get paid to play in Europe but ONLY the superstars. The rest of the league continues to not get paid...so that solves a lot doesn't it!

LOL

players and fans are so one dimensional on this topic. ITS A BUSINESS. It won't continue to survive under its current CBA business model. Pretty easy to figure out.

No offense man but you seem to be really delusional on this whole thing. Simply put me and you have a dispute and the only leverage you have on me is "well I won't pay you then" and I say ok and go elsewhere and get paid while you lose money. Meanwhile you're losing business partners (sponsorship), I still have business partners (endorsements) and the public in general feels you're at fault because its YOU that won't let me work.....

that simple.

FNM BOY
07-09-2011, 01:36 PM
no offense man but you seem to be really delusional on this whole thing. Simply put me and you have a dispute and the only leverage you have on me is "well i won't pay you then" and i say ok and go elsewhere and get paid while you lose money. Meanwhile you're losing business partners (sponsorship), i still have business partners (endorsements) and the public in general feels you're at fault because its you that won't let me work.....

That simple.

P r e a c h ! ! !

Strumpy
07-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Why not play overseas? Visit countries most people can only dream about, build up your image/brand overseas, heck, even learn a few moves from European/Asian players. Sure it's a reduced paycheck, but it's better then no paycheck at all. Seems logical to me. :shrug:

jiggin
07-09-2011, 01:45 PM
No offense man but you seem to be really delusional on this whole thing. Simply put me and you have a dispute and the only leverage you have on me is "well I won't pay you then" and I say ok and go elsewhere and get paid while you lose money. Meanwhile you're losing business partners (sponsorship), I still have business partners (endorsements) and the public in general feels you're at fault because its YOU that won't let me work.....

that simple.

how are the owners losing money now when they don't have to pay the players which is the bulk of their expenses?

they still make money off of events at their arenas...right?

There is not enough room for all the NBA players to go play somewhere else and make the money they make in the NBA, even with a pay cut. Its pretty simple math.

The owners are making money in other business ventures...which is how most of them became wealthy enough to purchase an NBA team.

The players don't have a lot of leverage other than, we won't play then. Then again, the owners were losing so much (billions over the 6 years on that CBA according to Forbes) when the players WERE playing that its hard to use that as a bargaining chip...I mean, they owners aren't losing more money now than they were during the season...they are scrubbing off MILLIONS in salaries, their biggest expense by far.

The owners will be JUST FINE with these guys going elsewhere...it doesn't hurt the owners AT ALL. Its actually a non-factor in their negotiations, IMO. It just makes the players look desperate to get even more money than the millions these stars already have...

...otherwise, wouldn't they just meet up together and play some highly competitive basketball without all the hassle?

owners don't care about this AT ALL...as they shouldn't

hell, if a major star ends up getting hurt with something dramatic...it could really screw the player, especially if the owner is able to then void their NBA contract because they got hurt playing for another team, not specified in their current contract.

Seems like a stupid risk by the player to me.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2011, 01:47 PM

exactly right. There are a ton more guys making $1-3 million than there are making $10+ million. Most of the players are the mid level guys (the middle class), and many have families, kids, in school, and don't want to uproot families to move to Europe and get paid $100 thousand euros a year if they can avoid it.

The owners won't let this effect them at the moment. No need to. the only thing that would worry me as an owner is if my star player left, and the risk of injury playing overseas

Tony_Starks
07-09-2011, 02:00 PM
how are the owners losing money now when they don't have to pay the players which is the bulk of their expenses?

they still make money off of events at their arenas...right?

There is not enough room for all the NBA players to go play somewhere else and make the money they make in the NBA, even with a pay cut. Its pretty simple math.

The owners are making money in other business ventures...which is how most of them became wealthy enough to purchase an NBA team.

The players don't have a lot of leverage other than, we won't play then. Then again, the owners were losing so much (billions over the 6 years on that CBA according to Forbes) when the players WERE playing that its hard to use that as a bargaining chip...I mean, they owners aren't losing more money now than they were during the season...they are scrubbing off MILLIONS in salaries, their biggest expense by far.

The owners will be JUST FINE with these guys going elsewhere...it doesn't hurt the owners AT ALL. Its actually a non-factor in their negotiations, IMO. It just makes the players look desperate to get even more money than the millions these stars already have...

...otherwise, wouldn't they just meet up together and play some highly competitive basketball without all the hassle?

owners don't care about this AT ALL...as they shouldn't

First off the NBA makes HUGE money off of sponsorships. Sponsors are not going to attach their wagon to you if they think you're not going to have a season. Loss. Second off the general public perception is its the owners fault and a lot of fans won't be coming back to the arenas if they scrap a season. Loss. Some of these teams fan base largely hinges on their superstar (NJ for example) if he gets hurt, they lose a lot of fans. Loss. NBA makes HUGE money off jerseys, cards, etc... if just one of the superstars stays for any significant amount of time fans will be purchasing his Euro apparel instead. Loss. Not to mention they make insane amounts of money from TV and cable. No NBA games, no TV money. Big time loss.

I can go on and on forever but anyway you slice it the owners are losing money now and in the future the longer they sit this out. Even David Stern acknowledged as much in his last address. Not saying the players aren't losing too don't get me wrong but to say the owners aren't losing and don't care about the players going overseas is a little naive...

kozelkid
07-09-2011, 02:02 PM

Sonny Weems signed. Darius Songala as well. Nenad Kristic. Von Wafer is talking about it. Not to mention some of the rookies. Those are "average role players." And they are signing without any intention of coming back for at least a season. The Euro leagues don't care they just want NBA players. They'd prefer superstars of course but it looks like they are taking whatever they can get. From their perspective the buzz and boost in ticket sales is worth it, even if only temporary.....

All minor examples. Vast majority will still find it hard. I don't think you guys realize how hard it is to assimilate some 300 players into a league without substantially increasing payment, getting rid of the deadweight and getting everyone used to one another. This would take years not weeks or months, something most players can't afford.

NYKalltheway
07-09-2011, 02:17 PM
What league? There are over 45 leagues in Europe and over 15 in Asia as well... Add 4-5 in South America...

kozelkid
07-09-2011, 02:19 PM
What league? There are over 45 leagues in Europe and over 15 in Asia as well... Add 4-5 in South America...

Maybe, but obviously there are only a handful that NBA players would want to join where they'd also be sufficiently paid.

NYKalltheway
07-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Maybe, but obviously there are only a handful that NBA players would want to join where they'd also be sufficiently paid.

They can find money (assuming you're talking NBA role players) in:

Spain
Italy
Turkey
China
Germany
Greece
Russia
Lithuania
Ukraine
Belgium
France
Cyprus
Bulgaria
Holland
Poland
Israel
Serbia
Croatia
Slovenia
Finland
Estonia
Latvia
Montenegro
Romania

And I assume people in England would like to start a serious basketball league (they got some very very bad teams there and zero interest from the public)

You pretty much estimate there's not many options, but the options are huge. It's easier for an NBA role player to find a job overseas than an NBA superstar ;)

JordansBulls
07-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Owners don't need to boggle down for anything, they clearly would rather a cancelled season and get things the way they want then just rush to sign a contract.
What incentive would the owners of the T-wolves, Kings, Bucks, etc have if they have no chance to win the title next season?

kozelkid
07-09-2011, 02:49 PM
They can find money (assuming you're talking NBA role players) in:

Spain
Italy
Turkey
China
Germany
Greece
Russia
Lithuania
Ukraine
Belgium
France
Cyprus
Bulgaria
Holland
Poland
Israel
Serbia
Croatia
Slovenia
Finland
Estonia
Latvia
Montenegro
Romania

And I assume people in England would like to start a serious basketball league (they got some very very bad teams there and zero interest from the public)

You pretty much estimate there's not many options, but the options are huge. It's easier for an NBA role player to find a job overseas than an NBA superstar ;)

False.

Because most of those leagues will not provide near the payment opportunities that NBA has and that's even with what the owners are offering.

Nor does this include the fact that most Euro teams have realized that it wasn't worth overpaying average NBA role players as it didn't add that much more success to them (Examples include Childress, Pargo, and a few others I can't recall atm).

theheatles
07-09-2011, 02:55 PM
1st of all injuries are more likely to happen in the nba than in most overseas leagues, it's a less physical game...2nd of all, guys wouldn't have to uproot their families if they have kids, they can go overseas for a couple months at a time because this would be only temporarily for a yr max, no way the lockout lasts 2 yrs because owners don't want to lose over a billion dollars, that just ain't happening

LOOTERX9
07-09-2011, 03:03 PM
AMARE needs to join the Disabled list before joining any immigration list of any kind. He needs to rest his injured knees, eyes, and back before trying to play in europe somewhere. Knicks are screwed if he goes out there and adds further damage

NYKalltheway
07-09-2011, 03:14 PM
1st of all injuries are more likely to happen in the nba than in most overseas leagues, it's a less physical game...2nd of all, guys wouldn't have to uproot their families if they have kids, they can go overseas for a couple months at a time because this would be only temporarily for a yr max, no way the lockout lasts 2 yrs because owners don't want to lose over a billion dollars, that just ain't happening

wait what??? NBA is MOOOOOORE PHYSICAL than the international game? :laugh2:

2nd, if it's a 1 year deal, you don't need to take your family with you. There's players in Greece who've been with the team for 7-8 years and their family is in California. There's too many breaks into the season so a player can be with his family for like at least 2 months DURING the NBA season