PDA

View Full Version : If there's no 2012 season, how would the 2012 draft work?

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't know if this has been asked or if someone started a thread about it but I wanted to know if there's no 2012 season how would the 2012 draft work? Will they keep it the same order? Will they even have a draft?

albertc86
07-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Yes, they'd have the draft. And they'd probably keep the same teams in the lottery which wouldn't be such a bad idea because it would bring some parity.

Gators123
07-08-2011, 09:37 PM
The NBA hasn't decided yet.

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Yes, they'd have the draft. And they'd probably keep the same teams in the lottery which wouldn't be such a bad idea because it would bring some parity.

So that would mean the Cavs would have another chance at getting the number 1 overall pick again?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-08-2011, 09:46 PM
No offense but this thread has been made so much since the lockout started. But the NBA doesn't know what they're going to do this season let alone the Draft.

Yanks All Day
07-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Reverse order this time. Mavs, Heat, Bulls, and Thunder are top 4.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-08-2011, 09:51 PM

That would be horrible for the NBA b/c no one would watch anymore after a lockout season and there would be too many super teams with no competition.

blastmasta26
07-08-2011, 10:48 PM
haha, a 30 team lottery with every team having equal chances at the first pick would be even better.

Tony_Starks
07-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Teams with players who smashed Kardashians get priority. Denver gets 1st pick, Lakers 2nd, New Jersey 3rd.......

fadedmario
07-08-2011, 11:22 PM
They will keep the Lottery the same

JOhnnyTHaJet
07-08-2011, 11:38 PM
I believe they would keep the draft positions the same and or create a lottery but with the original teams prior to trade, for example the Clippers would have the 1st pick or they would be in the lottery with there original chances. I think that's what could happen.

Arch Stanton
07-08-2011, 11:44 PM
So that would mean the Cavs would have another chance at getting the number 1 overall pick again?

I think the Cavs would have a 20 percent chance of getting the first pick (second best). But they wouldn't have the Clippers pick (who was projected to go 8 and went 1 overall).

BranWingss
07-09-2011, 12:49 AM
The NHL welcomed the draft when the lockout came. Their draft was very interesting, as they did a lottery with balls in a cage. Certain teams had less, because of constant losing, but even the best team at the time had a chance to get the first overall pick.

imagesrdecievin
07-09-2011, 01:03 AM
The NHL welcomed the draft when the lockout came. Their draft was very interesting, as they did a lottery with balls in a cage. Certain teams had less, because of constant losing, but even the best team at the time had a chance to get the first overall pick.

Do top NHL draft prospects make an immediate impact like basketball? Or is it closer to MLB where draftee's spend some time in the minors getting seasoned?

If it's the latter than I can moreso understand every team having a shot.

Also wasn't there big time shakeups in the NHL due to teams needing to immediately get under the new salary cap? That would be another reason to give every team a shot at the top pick.

The way things work in the NBA I can't see giving the Lakers, Mavs, Thunder, Heat, Bulls etc. a shot at a lottery pick.

Jsoul101
07-09-2011, 01:31 AM
The NBA will reset all teams
Put every player back into draft mode
Arrange smaller market team at higher picks
goes in serpent mode
with next year's rookies mixed among superstars
Players with contracts will carry that contract to their new team
Players unpicked but with contracts will be bought out
Owners will pay for all the bought out for a new era of basketball

Event Date
Sell tickets to fans who wants to go watch this draft that will last 3days
12rounds in total
2rounds on first day day
4 rounds on second day
6rounds on last day
each ticket will cost fans 1000$+/day from backrow forward

they will host this event in a small market city thus bring visitors to come and watch
televise in over 100countries

ChongInc.
07-09-2011, 04:34 AM
The NBA will reset all teams
Put every player back into draft mode
Arrange smaller market team at higher picks
goes in serpent mode
with next year's rookies mixed among superstars
Players with contracts will carry that contract to their new team
Players unpicked but with contracts will be bought out
Owners will pay for all the bought out for a new era of basketball

Event Date
Sell tickets to fans who wants to go watch this draft that will last 3days
12rounds in total
2rounds on first day day
4 rounds on second day
6rounds on last day
each ticket will cost fans 1000$+/day from backrow forward

they will host this event in a small market city thus bring visitors to come and watch
televise in over 100countries

That would be epic. Won't happen though.

Jsoul101
07-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Too bad, cuz if this happened it'll resolve the lockdown issue
bring small market some heavy attention
people will actually watch the full year of nba to see the new roster and such
brings lots of money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

king4day
07-09-2011, 11:15 AM
haha, a 30 team lottery with every team having equal chances at the first pick would be even better.

I'd love for them to redo the lottery teams with every team having a real shot at the #1 but realistically, they should break up the teams in maybe 5-7 lots. Those teams have a chance at any number. So the 7th worst team last year has a real chance at the 1 pick. And the 14th seed has a real chance at the 8th pick and so forth.

I don't think Miami or Dallas should be given the privledge of having a chance at the #1 pick. If the lottery is rigged then we'd know how it would end.

king4day
07-09-2011, 11:18 AM

Agreed. But then you tell the teams late in that draft that the best player they can pick is a jason richardson or ray Allen and you'll have very angry fans.