PDA

View Full Version : Mavs to Let Free Agents Leave?

tyfreaks brotha
07-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Do the Dallas Mavericks really have to sign any of their free agents, save for starting center Tyson Chandler? Do they even have to re-sign Chandler, considering that Brendan Haywood is on the roster?

This contention is based on a hypothetical that probably won't even have a chance to come true until (at best) later this summer, but more than likely sometime this fall or even winter. To hear some people tell it, the hypothetical hasn't a chance because the entire 2011-12 NBA season will be lost due to a lockout, and with it will go the expiring contracts of all the characters in question.But the question is sound. Do the defending champion Dallas Mavericks really need to re-sign any of their free agents? Save for, of course, the mighty Tyson Chandler?

No, this is about a level of flexibility that often runs away when you devote too many resources to players you've fallen in love with. Mainly because they were around for last year's party, regardless of their role. And with Jose Juan Barea, DeShawn Stevenson and Caron Butler, it is worth wondering just how needed their presence might be on this team moving forward.

The Mavericks already have younger, cheaper players on the roster to replace Barea, Stevenson and Butler. Those players are Rodrigue Beaubois, Corey Brewer and the recently-acquired Rudy Fernandez.

None of the three had great seasons last year, but there were mitigating circumstances for each. Beaubois began the year with a broken foot, and never got on track from there. Broken feet are no joke: it's so hard to recover from that injury, especially when you rely so much on your speed.

Brewer never got a chance to play in the playoffs, as Carlisle didn't give him burn even though lots of advanced stats suggested he was a better defender than anyone else on the roster. This, again, can be explained by Carlisle's system being more complex than most coaches.

As for Fernandez, he goes from a system that stifled him to one where he should thrive. The Blazers never ran plays for Fernandez, using him mostly as a spot-up shooter. Carlisle will figure out ways to deploy him to play to his strengths, running him off curls and other off-ball screens to get him in motion. Once that happens, Fernandez can give the Mavericks what Stevenson provided and then some.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Should-the-Mavericks-let-all-their-free-agents-w;_ylt=AicdW6e8G1c7mO4Wasjigui8vLYF?urn=nba-wp6077

LongWayFromHome
07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Mavs forum?

Spurred1
07-07-2011, 03:33 PM
From what I've seen, Rudy is not a very good defender. Stevenson is a better defender than him. Roddy also had yet another surgery on his foot just recently, so he's probably never going to live up to whatever potential this writer thinks he may or may not have. He's going to be a question mark for a long time.
Brewer needs more time actually playing in Carlisle's system. I'd like the Mavs to keep him.
JJB has flashes where he's really good and then droughts where he just can't do anything. He's a streaky player,imo.
Butler and JJB can go-JJB is probably going to want to cash in and Cuban might not want to pay him what he wants. Butler's injury concerns me.
Chandler HAS to be resigned.

smith&wesson
07-07-2011, 03:33 PM
the mavricks had the best record in the league when butler was healthy and starting. they were the team to beat.

barea had a huge role in winning a ship this year. they would be wise to resign him specially since jason kidds gonna be 39 next year.

tyfreaks brotha
07-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Mavs forum?
I think this is the accurate place to put the topic. If not feel free to move it.

From what I've seen, Rudy is not a very good defender. Stevenson is a better defender than him. Roddy also had yet another surgery on his foot just recently, so he's probably never going to live up to whatever potential this writer thinks he may or may not have. He's going to be a question mark for a long time.
Brewer needs more time actually playing in Carlisle's system. I'd like the Mavs to keep him.
JJB has flashes where he's really good and then droughts where he just can't do anything. He's a streaky player,imo.
Butler and JJB can go-JJB is probably going to want to cash in and Cuban might not want to pay him what he wants. Butler's injury concerns me.
Chandler HAS to be resigned.

Not resigining JJ would be absoulutly ********. As you stated there other backup had a foot injury and thats his game... Stevenson's three point ability and Defense was awesome this past season.

210Don
07-07-2011, 03:49 PM
hope so! :)

Hellcrooner
07-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Rudys defense is like the moon cycle.
When its on, he is a nightamare for the opposing player, and gets a lot of steals.
When he is not on he is horrible.

LTBaByyy
07-07-2011, 03:52 PM
It would actually give us a lot of flexibility!!!!!

For Deron Williams

tyfreaks brotha
07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Problem is he's always playing like crap or being a whinny *****. The Mavericks won't cheap out unless the new CBA forces them to. Chandler is essentially a must keep, the rest can go if needed though. Although it wouldn't be a safe betg imho

LTBaByyy
07-07-2011, 04:02 PM
We need to shred pay roll

Chandler is like 12 mil
Butler is like 10 mil
JJ is like 2 mil
Stevenson is like 4 mil
Peja and Cardinal werent that much IDK

But thats like 30 mil off the payroll and we need to get younger

and puts us in the running for D Will

Sly Guy
07-07-2011, 04:03 PM
sign chandler, sign barea, trade haywood for another big better suited to fewer minutes and a smaller contract.

LTBaByyy
07-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Roddy can replace JJ
Brewer can replace Stevenson
Rudy can replace Butler in a WAY faster Dallas offense which is suited for him!
Haywood can replace Chandler bc Haywood is a good STARTING center, check his stats in the starts for Dallas

No one is going to trade for Haywood and we cant have 2 centers making 11 mil a year

Mahinmi can be a decent back up and it gives us a lot of room for D Will and makes us younger

LTBaByyy
07-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I love all those guys!!!!! But we need to shred payroll for flexibility

And winning a championship does give us the chance to let these people go

I mean JJ, Butler, Chandler, Stevenson are going to ask for money!!

And we are already the 2nd highest payroll I think

LETS SHRED this 30 million dollars off the payroll!!

Sly Guy
07-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Roddy can replace JJ
Brewer can replace Stevenson
Rudy can replace Butler in a WAY faster Dallas offense which is suited for him!
Haywood can replace Chandler bc Haywood is a good STARTING center, check his stats in the starts for Dallas

No one is going to trade for Haywood and we cant have 2 centers making 11 mil a year

Mahinmi can be a decent back up and it gives us a lot of room for D Will and makes us younger

there's always a market for a pure center. I'm sure there are plenty of teams out there that would love to add him.

tyfreaks brotha
07-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Roddy juts had a foot injury. His game his running! He may not be able to be the same player pre-injury. Haywood cannot replace Chandler! A huge step down. I really would like to Dallas retain there stuff cuz Deron may not even go there.. If he doesn't your left with

Kidd
Rudy
Brewer
Dirk
Haywood

HUGE step down.

tyfreaks brotha
07-07-2011, 04:14 PM
the new CBA will dictate what they do.

LTBaByyy
07-07-2011, 04:18 PM
I do love those guys but if we sign all of them or even 3 of them

We would be stuck for atleast 4 years with no money at all and VERYYYYYY old if you think we are old now lol

And all the good free agents are within these 4 years

Foye
07-07-2011, 04:20 PM
LOL about people saying they shouldn't resign Chandler. Chandler is like the 1st really good defensive minded C Nowitzki has played with. And that is why they've won a ring.

drobe86
07-07-2011, 09:43 PM
We've got to bring back Chandler, Butler, Barea, and Stevenson. If we can get those guys on 1 or 2 years deals if it gives us flexibility, and it allows us a chance to repeat...