PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Recruit In Medically Induced Coma Following Plane Crash

fadedmario
07-05-2011, 12:52 AM
A plane crash critically injured Austin Hatch, a University of Michigan basketball recruit. Hatch's father, who piloted the plane, died in the crash along with the father's wife.

Hatch remained hospitalized Saturday in Traverse City, Mich. Surviving family members posted a note online Friday saying his condition is improving and doctors have begun bringing him out of his coma.

The Canterbury High School junior and his father also survived a 2003 plane crash near Fort Wayne that killed the boy's mother, a sister and a brother.

I know this is a NCAA basketball story but I knew no one would read it in the College B-Ball forum. Crazy story.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-07-02/sports/chi-plane-on-instrument-approach-before-crash-with-basketball-recruit-20110702_1_ntsb-report-plane-crash-second-approach

FriedTofuz
07-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Wow, Why was his father Piloting the plane? This is extremly sad, I want to say condalances, but everyone is dead. I hope he gets well, And its really sad to hear such news. Where were they flying to, and why was it just them?

LionsFan..LOL
07-05-2011, 01:03 AM
Damn. I don't even know what to say. Such a tragic incident. I hope he gets better, its just horrible that he has to find out about this after he gets out of the coma. May Mr. Hatch and his wife r.i.p and may god watch over and guide Austin Hatch through this horrible time in his life.

fadedmario
07-05-2011, 01:09 AM
His dad has killed him mom, sister, brother, stepmom, and himself in 2 separate plane crashes.

fadedmario
07-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Austin Hatch suffered a serious head injury, a punctured lung and fractures to his ribs and collarbone. A journal entry dated Friday, written by "Hatch Family" and posted on the website CaringBridge.org said it was encouraged by his progress.

"He has remained stable, and notable improvements include movement to withdraw from pain and improved breathing function. Doctors have begun the gradual process of reducing his medications. As he slowly begins the 'waking up' process, we ask for your continued prayers," the entry said.

Dash
07-05-2011, 01:10 AM
OMG that has to be the sadest thing ever. The plane crash from before killed his mom sister and brother and he survivied and lived through that, now his dad dies and he's in a coma wow sad stuff

saucy1
07-05-2011, 01:18 AM
not to be a dk but i think killing my wife would have made me give up flying

fadedmario
07-05-2011, 01:24 AM

I agree

fadedmario
07-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Austin Hatch was a standout high school basketball player in Indiana – on his way to college on a full scholarship – when the unthinkable happened.

Hatch, 16, was critically injured in a plane crash on Friday that killed his father, Dr. Stephen Hatch, and his stepmother, Kim. Even more unfathomable?

It's happened to him before.

In 2003, Hatch and his father survived a plane crash that took the lives of his mother and two siblings. He is now the sole survivor of his immediate family.

"They're all gone," Dan Kline, Hatch's basketball coach at Canterbury High School told the Associated Press. "He's the only one left. What's the chance of that happening? A million to one, if that. It's just unbelievable."

Dr. David Bojrab, Stephen Hatch’s medical partner, told the Associated Press that Austin, who remains in critical condition at a northern Michigan hospital, is in a medically induced coma, suffering bruising on his brain among other injuries. Close friends of the teen have been keeping a vigil at the hospital.

"He never talked about [the previous crash]," Kline said. "I'm sure he carried it inside."

Anticipating his life as a collegiate athlete at the University of Michigan (where his mother and father went to school), Hatch recently told the Journal Gazette of Fort Wayne, Ind., that accepting his scholarship, "was a very special moment for me. There was no reason to wait. … I couldn’t turn it down."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20506198,00.html

Saad
07-05-2011, 02:04 AM
That is just insane. This kid must be on the way to cure cancer aids or something because God wants him to live! I feel so sad for his whole family. May they RIP. This is just truly sad and puts you into perspective.

NBA_Starter
07-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Prayers for Austin

NetsPaint
07-05-2011, 02:43 AM
Very sad. I hope the best for Austin.

Gambeezy
07-05-2011, 02:58 AM

I was thinking the same thing. After killing my daughter, son, and wife, I'd call it quits. The irony is the crash killed his second wife as well. Extremely sad. Hoping this kid can recover and have an amazing college career.

Silent
07-05-2011, 03:30 AM
That kid lost his father mother brother sister step mother in a 8 year span from a plane crash, that has to be the saddest thing ever. The father killed the whole family holy **** Why in the world would anyone fly with him and why in the hell is he aloud two fly in the first place?

NYKnicksAllDay
07-05-2011, 04:13 AM
Wow.. this is really sad. I probably wouldn't even want to live after losing so many people close to me.

Venomous88
07-05-2011, 04:18 AM
Sad story, but at least he survived

broncosfan4eva
07-05-2011, 05:07 AM
You guys that are saying "the dad killed the family" and **** like that need to get the damn facts straight before u post something like that it may not have been his fault, it may have been a faulty part in the aircraft just with extremely badluck

White_Mike
07-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't even care that my dad died if he almost killed me twice, why was he still flying after the first accident?

203 Uconn LaL
07-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Hope he recovers 100% and prosper in whatever he does he deserves it.

HesterTrain
07-05-2011, 07:23 PM
You guys that are saying "the dad killed the family" and **** like that need to get the damn facts straight before u post something like that it may not have been his fault, it may have been a faulty part in the aircraft just with extremely badluck

It's the fathers job to make sure the plane is 100% safe before each take-off. They have rules and regulations about this. That's if it was an engine malfunction. The first incident was horrific. Having it happen again is just stupidity. Until all the facts are presented I'll stay neutral, but I do feel as though since it was the fathers plane and him behind the throttle, it's gotta be somewhat his fault.

Or you could just be right and they just had extremely bad luck. I just don't buy that though when it comes to the standards today to operate a flying aircraft. Especially when it's your family in the back seats.

JWO35
07-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Pretty Sick stuff...hope for the best for him, hopefully he goes on and have a great College & NBA career.

Bryrob58
07-05-2011, 07:48 PM
---I wouldn't even care that my dad died if he almost killed me twice---, why was he still flying after the first accident?

---I found this pretty ridiculous---

metsfaninSTL
07-07-2011, 01:07 PM
i heard about this. very sad. apparently austin played on the same AAU team as my cousin. so my couisn was very sad about this.

BoinnyRot
07-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Crazy Town
(http://boityn.if.ua)

BoinnyRot
07-08-2011, 06:06 PM
автобус феодосия судак
(http://boityn.if.ua)

metsfaninSTL
08-03-2011, 01:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/6813566/austin-hatch-michigan-basketball-recruit-makes-progress-surviving-family-second-fatal-plane-crash-lines