PDA

View Full Version : Utah or Denver: Who traded for the better future?

jimbobjarree
07-05-2011, 12:30 AM
They both made blockbuster trades in February, but who set themselves up for more future success?

Denver's roster (bold means player acquired via Melo):
Jordan Hamilton (20)
Kenneth Faried (21)
Danillo Gallinari (22)
Kosta Koufos (22)
Ty Lawson (23)
Wilson Chandler (24) - Restricted free agent
Timofey Mosgov (24)
Arron Afflalo (25) - Restricted free agent
Al Harrington (31)
Chris Anderson (32)
Andre Miller (35)

Unrestricted free agents: Kenyon Martin (33), Nene (28), JR Smith (25)

They are also due a further 2014 Knicks 1st from the Melo deal.

or

Utah Jazz roster (bold means acquired via Deron):
Enes Kanter (19)
Derrick Favors (19)
Alec Burks (19)
Gordon Hayward (21)
Jeremy Evans (23)
CJ Miles (24)
Paul Millsap (26)
Al Jefferson (26)
Devin Harris (28)
Mehmet Okur (32)
Raja Bell (34)

Unrestricted free agents: Andrei Kirilenko (30), Earl Watson (32)

Jazz are also owed Golden States 1st in 2012 from the Deron deal (top 7 protected)

clutchski
07-05-2011, 12:39 AM
As of right now I'd say the Nuggets. For me it depends largely on how well Kanter performs in the NBA. The guy could be a beast. It also depends on whether Harris ends up being the #1 option at the point that you Jazz fans are looking for.

In the end, assuming 2/3 players reach their potential..I'd pick the Jazz for the future.

John Walls Era
07-05-2011, 12:42 AM
I like Utah better tbh:
Paul Millsap (26)
Al Jefferson (26)
Devin Harris (28)
Enes Kanter (19)
Derrick Favors (19)
Gordon Hayward (21)

If Kanter and Favors lives up to their potential then they're scary. Denver is nice too.

DR_1
07-05-2011, 12:42 AM
I would say the Jazz; they'll stay together, the Nuggets won't.

kozelkid
07-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Hard to say.
The key pieces for me are Callinari, Chandler, Favors, Kanter and that GSW pick.

I don't like Favors much, but Kanter has potential and that GSW pick can end up being a lottery pick in a deep draft.

At first, before I opened the thread, I thought Denver had a clear edge. Now I think Utah has that edge.

With all that said, they need to clean up that frontcourt. Al Jefferson needs to be rid of for sure imo.

EDIT: I said this in regards to the trade. Poor reading on my part.

If you include the rest of each team's roster I'm giving the edge to Denver. I like Lawson, Nene and Afflalo a lot more than anything Utah has.

clutchski
07-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Hard to say.
The key pieces for me are Callinari, Chandler, Favors, Kanter and that GSW pick.

I love squid :)

D-Will4Prez
07-05-2011, 12:46 AM
None of the players acquired via Melo will ever be anything more than role players...I like Utah's chances with Favors and Kanter.

jimbobjarree
07-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Its more than likely the Jazz will have 2 lottery picks in next years loaded draft. If thats the case, IMO they are clear winners.

Too many question marks around Denver right now. Does Nene and JR return? How much will Afflalo and Chandler cost to bring back? To me, the only two future studs they have locked up right now are Lawson and Gallo.

I can see Denver being in limbo for a while with their roster though, a string of low playoff seedings and 1st round exits. Whereas the Jazz as I said will go down the OKC route, get 2 more lottery picks and patiently reap the benefits. I agree with whoever said it though, I think Big Al needs to be moved (hopefully for a starting wing).

With the super young Wolves in the NW too, the division has a pretty bright future to go along with the already successful and young Thunder.

Bulls_fan90
07-05-2011, 01:39 AM
I like Utah better tbh:
Paul Millsap (26)
Al Jefferson (26)Devin Harris (28)
Enes Kanter (19)
Derrick Favors (19)
Gordon Hayward (21)

If Kanter and Favors lives up to their potential then they're scary. Denver is nice too.

Those player had nothing to do with the D-Will trade. As for me I really like Kanter and Favors. Both really good young prospects. So i voted for Utah.

koreancabbage
07-05-2011, 01:40 AM
denver for sure. they were a lot better as a team after the Melo trade.

THE MTL
07-05-2011, 02:02 AM
denver for sure. they were a lot better as a team after the Melo trade.

Yea, but how many of those players will they actually keep? Mosglov doesnt play at all. I hear that they are letting Wilson Chander walk. And they traded Felton for old Andre Miller. They own a 2014 pick but Knicks should be a very good team around that time.

Saad
07-05-2011, 02:09 AM
I love squid :)

Calamari* :D

LTBaByyy
07-05-2011, 02:18 AM
This is Utah. Denver will always be a 5th - 8th seed forever....

But if Utah:

Get a young passing point guard
Burks
Hayward
Favors
Kanter

..... all reach their potential, that team would be SCARY!!!! :speechless:

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
07-05-2011, 02:25 AM
im not sure about the teams' draft pick and cap situation but lookin at the rosters, id say that favors>all other players mentioned . also i dont think that denver is gonna re/sign a big (both contract and/or position).. plus, can one hate on millsap and kanter? no sir, i dont like it

THE GIPPER
07-05-2011, 02:40 AM
meh its impossible to know so who cares lets just wait and see

allSUAVE
07-05-2011, 03:02 AM
Mile high city

South Park

VCaintdead17
07-05-2011, 03:05 AM
Devin was average at best this year IMO and Favors didn't see a whole lot of action while Denver had a better winning % after the melo trade than before. Gallo, Wilson and Felton proved to be their three most valueble players as well, getting them a playoff birth, so until Kanter and Favors get consistent playing time, it's gotta be Denver.

Kyben36
07-05-2011, 03:09 AM
nuggets, but not by much, I dont think either team will get anywhere with the peices they have, both need #1 options, and dont have them, I dont see Kanter being one, Dont see Galinari, dont see Favors, dont see Harris, Ty lawson is the closest thing to a number one,

AsfanSince99
07-05-2011, 03:32 AM
Nuggets. Gallanari is going to be a superstar!

broncosfan4eva
07-05-2011, 05:00 AM
Nuggets looking better by just a bit

PHX2daDEATH
07-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Utah, Denver has too many questions, Jazz can afford to trade Milsap or Jefferson along with Harris to get even deeper

HouRealCoach
07-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Utah... But with AJ and Milsap there I just dont see how Kanter and Favors can grow how they want them too

PennyMy#1
07-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Utah easily. Denver plays good now. And I only mean good. Not great. They've Lawson as talented future, that's it. Gallinari, Chandler ? They'll always be what they are now. Good roleplayers. Andre Miller is old. So, the Jazz IMO made the best moves:

19years old: Kanter and Favors plus 2012 first (top 7protected)

When those three live up to there high picks ... my god that is scary. Also Bell, Miles and Okur (if healthy) are a serious bench. But, if you then add Millsap, Al-Jeff and Devin Harris to that all that above ... holy **** !

gilly
07-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Utah. They have two bigs with HUGE potential, which is always the right base to build from.

Imagine this;
Inexperience means they will be in lottery next year. If they win the lottery and get Harrison Barnes, and the GSW pick is #8 (top 7 protected) and they can get Marquis Teague or Myck Kabongo... Teague/Burks/Barnes/Favors/Kanter :cool:

nyKnicks126
07-05-2011, 08:34 AM
That's a great question.. It's about even right now with the talent.. but as far as potential goes then I would have to side with Utah..

Sports Illustrator
07-05-2011, 09:24 AM
There are a lot of variables missing here in order to be able to answer the question.

For Denver, it really depends on whether or not they will be keeping certain players such as Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari and Timofey Mozgov. It depends on how Jordan Hamilton pans out also. Nuggets also get a 2014 first round pick from NY.

As for Utah, it depends on how well Devin Harris can adjust to the system. As others also mentioned, we will also have to see how guys like Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors will pan out in the NBA. We also shouldn't factor out the Warrior's pick next season if it does not fall under the top 7 picks.

alencp3
07-05-2011, 09:48 AM
I would go with the team that acquired the next Duncan and mini Dwight

stuckyfreshhh
07-05-2011, 09:49 AM
I agree far too many variables.

I think Denver is better right now, and I think they got better value for their trade. That being said, I love the potential of the Jazz. They could be really special. OR they could just never develop: Favors could end up as a poor man's Tyson Chandler and Kanter is a huge unknown.

Hugbees
07-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Thinking over that Denver trade.. they really aren't keeping much of the pieces they got from the Knicks besides Gallo. Watta waste..

Denver-boy
07-05-2011, 10:24 AM
nuggets,simply cuz deron Williams would of stayed.... Melo was out so Nugz got best value!! Gallo/Faried/MozGov will show u that

Slimsim
07-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Denver easily they have proven young talent in gallo chandler lawson mossy. Utah have a bunch of ???

Bryrob58
07-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I love Kanter and Favors, so this is an easy pick for me. However, Utah needs to move either or both Millsap and Jefferson for a wing, because I don't think Burks and Heyward, Burks especially, will be very good. Jefferson for Iggy? Millsap for Dorrell Wright? I have no idea who they could get but just throwing out some names.

jimbobjarree
07-05-2011, 10:49 AM
wow, votings really close. Interesting.

NYsFinest
07-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Utah Jazz got way more for their superstar for their future and its not even remotely close....

If I'm a GM I take without hesitation...

Favors over Gallo
Kanter over Chandler who will be probably receive a contract worth 8-9 mill
Harris over Andre Miller
2012 top 8 protected GS pick over a 2014 knicks pick

Keep in mind that the Nuggets also gave up Billups, Sheldon Williams (who played a solid role for them) and anthony carter and received Timofey Mozgov as well.

Jazz have potential the best young big man duo on a rookie scale contract while the Nuggets have to decide if they want to pay an average SF a 50 million dollar contract... if they don't all they will have from this trade is Gallinari.

Heediot
07-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Denver because they got more PROVEN players. Whereas Utah got Devin Harris and a bunch of potential. Denver right now, but we will have to see 4-5 years down the road when Kanter and Favors are established. Also Gallo and Timofey have room for growth, and Jordan Hamilton may turn out to be another Wilson chandler type.

nycericanguy
07-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Right now DEN, but as others have mentioned there are too many question marks. Chandler most likely will be gone, he's having a 3rd surgery on his left ankle at only 23 and appears to have been damaged goods.

They used Felton to trade for Hamilton which tells me they are not planning on offering Chandler a new deal.

Gallo also is a RFA next year but I imagine they will pay to keep him.

Utah has a lottery pick via NJ in the 2012 draft, which should be a great draft, so they'll add another piece.

DEN got alot of quantity, but at the end of the day the key pieces are Gallo & Mosgov, and maybe Hamilton if he turns into a good player.

BallIsAll
07-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Right now DEN, but as others have mentioned there are too many question marks. Chandler most likely will be gone, he's having a 3rd surgery on his left ankle at only 23 and appears to have been damaged goods.

They used Felton to trade for Hamilton which tells me they are not planning on offering Chandler a new deal.

Gallo also is a RFA next year but I imagine they will pay to keep him.

Utah has a lottery pick via NJ in the 2012 draft, which should be a great draft, so they'll add another piece.

DEN got alot of quantity, but at the end of the day the key pieces are Gallo & Mosgov, and maybe Hamilton if he turns into a good player.

chandler already got a qualifying offer from us. hamilton will most likely back AAA up if smith leaves or play the left over minutes till he proved himself at the 2 and 3.

nycericanguy
07-05-2011, 01:12 PM
chandler already got a qualifying offer from us. hamilton will most likely back AAA up if smith leaves or play the left over minutes till he proved himself at the 2 and 3.

i know, i think this thread is more longterm. i think chandler will def be there for 2011. but you have to wonder if DEN will really pay to keep him long term, especially with Gallo, Hamilton, & AA there.

I love chandler, he's a very good all around player, but 3 surgeries on his left ankle at the age of 23 is a HUGE red flag. I certainly would not want to invest big money on a player like that if they don't have a huge need for him.

Hamilton is def better suited as a SF.

BallIsAll
07-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Utah Jazz got way more for their superstar for their future and its not even remotely close....

If I'm a GM I take without hesitation...

Favors over Gallo
Kanter over Chandler who will be probably receive a contract worth 8-9 mill
Harris over Andre Miller
2012 top 8 protected GS pick over a 2014 knicks pick

Keep in mind that the Nuggets also gave up Billups, Sheldon Williams (who played a solid role for them) and anthony carter and received Timofey Mozgov as well.

Jazz have potential the best young big man duo on a rookie scale contract while the Nuggets have to decide if they want to pay an average SF a 50 million dollar contract... if they don't all they will have from this trade is Gallinari.

i hope you aren't serious?

Favors an unproven player over a player with gallos talent? :speechless:
Kanter a player who never played in the nba over a player with wilsons talent? :facepalm:
Devin (frail) harris a player whos hardly on the court over a player who played like 8 straight 82 game seasons? :speechless:

and you forget we got mozgof - koufus - hamilton; which are all you and could develop into good players.

koufus had a few near double double games including one against the jazz where he had like 15 pts and 9 rbs

BallIsAll
07-05-2011, 01:17 PM
i know, i think this thread is more longterm. i think chandler will def be there for 2011. but you have to wonder if DEN will really pay to keep him long term, especially with Gallo, Hamilton, & AA there.

I love chandler, he's a very good all around player, but 3 surgeries on his left ankle at the age of 23 is a HUGE red flag. I certainly would not want to invest big money on a player like that if they don't have a huge need for him.

Hamilton is def better suited as a SF.

your right on that point.. if hamilton comes in with good defense and his ability to score translates over to the nba id rather have him for cheap.. but for this season we cant just put him on the floor and expect him to produce

KnicksR4Real
07-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Gallo is something special. He has the desire to win. I'll give the Nuggs the edge.

todu82
07-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Going with Utah

Lil Half Dead
07-05-2011, 01:27 PM
I love the deal Denver got. But I think Utah got guys with much higher ceilings. Give me the Jazz.

85BearsDefense
07-05-2011, 01:35 PM
meh its impossible to know so who cares lets just wait and see

definitely the nuggets... they have the essential role players needed to win it all, they are a superstar away from being great.

Bucsfan
07-05-2011, 01:38 PM
its hard to say, the Nuggets got seasoned players, but the Jazz got a boatload of potential, but im a Jazz fan so of course im going to say the Jazz, I think if I look at that we got Favors/Kanter plus 2 lottery picks is a winner, although Gallo is good, but we already know how good he is, Favors and Kanter are only 19! we will have to come back to this trade farther down the line

KB24PG16
07-05-2011, 01:47 PM
wow never realized miller was already 35, trading felton for him was probably a wrong decision couldve gotten more for him

Slimsim
07-05-2011, 01:58 PM
i hope you aren't serious?

Favors an unproven player over a player with gallos talent? :speechless:
Kanter a player who never played in the nba over a player with wilsons talent? :facepalm:
Devin (frail) harris a player whos hardly on the court over a player who played like 8 straight 82 game seasons? :speechless:

and you forget we got mozgof - koufus - hamilton; which are all you and could develop into good players.

koufus had a few near double double games including one against the jazz where he had like 15 pts and 9 rbs

This

Favors look like Jordan hill 2.0

Kanter is a big ???

Devin harris is injury prone

ttam68
07-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Denver got more upfront talent, but Utah is taking the better approach with a full rebuild.

tyfreaks brotha
07-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Nuggets got the better package, but the Jazz are looking better right now...

Bucsfan
07-05-2011, 02:15 PM
This

Kanter is a big ???

in no way does Favors look anything like Jordan Hill

jrm2054
07-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Jazz have the better roster imo but the nuggets got more for melo

MGB
07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
I went Nuggets. Basically, I view their team as having a better overall balance. The Jazz are just straight up loaded up front with Kanter, Favors, Al Jeff, and Milsap but outside of those 4, their PG/SG/SF spots are a bit more hazy. I do also like Burks and Miles, along with the Warriors pick, which should be in the lotto.

Really both teams are really well set up for the future, it'll be an interesting rival to watch over the next few years as those young, high-potential players.

nycericanguy
07-05-2011, 02:45 PM
definitely the nuggets... they have the essential role players needed to win it all, they are a superstar away from being great.

the superstars are the hardest thing to get though, especially if you have good role players that will keep you out of the lottery.

jimbobjarree
07-05-2011, 03:07 PM
This

Kanter is a big ???

I think you need to actually watch Favors play mate. Guys gunna be special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SKYpEVkiSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp8QHduh9SY&feature=related

:drool:

Slimsim
07-05-2011, 03:22 PM

Youtube videos make everyone look good even Jared Jeffires.

And i did see Favors play until he was traded to utah

THE GIPPER
07-05-2011, 03:31 PM

Thats a very good point but its tough to find those superstars lying around haha

BallIsAll
07-05-2011, 03:33 PM

ohhh yess jeremy evans will be a beast as well :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzh0iLBsWus&NR=1

BallIsAll
07-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Thats a very good point but its tough to find those superstars lying around haha

its better to be a super star away with cap room and a bunch of young players in which some have potential to become stars than have 1, 2 or even 3 superstars playing by themselves with no cap room or young talent to develop :clap:

NYsFinest
07-05-2011, 03:41 PM
its better to be a super star away with cap room and a bunch of young players in which some have potential to become stars than have 1, 2 or even 3 superstars playing by themselves with no cap room or young talent to develop :clap:

It's a superstar driven league... the way the Nuggets are currently constructed they will never make it out of the 1st round :clap:

arkanian215
07-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Youtube videos make everyone look good even Jared Jeffires.

And i did see Favors play until he was traded to utah

Favors has become a lot better since he was traded to Utah. Favors is clearly working on his left hand as well as some up and under moves on the right hand block. But yes, they have youtube videos for Yi so I don't put too much stock into highlight reels.

nycericanguy
07-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Thats a double edged sword though, those young players don't stay young and cheap forever.

Chandler will need to be paid this year or next.

Gallo will need to be paid next year, and I imagine it will be close to $10m per.

Nene will get a huge deal.

Lawson is going to command a hefty deal soon.

Affalo will need to be paid this year.

DEN needs to be careful not to lock themselves into mediocrity.

THE GIPPER
07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
It's a superstar driven league... the way the Nuggets are currently constructed they will never make it out of the 1st round :clap:

haha :clap: but dallas with one superstar just beat miami who has two and a half superstars :clap:

NYsFinest
07-05-2011, 03:57 PM
haha :clap: but dallas with one superstar just beat miami who has two and a half superstars :clap:

Still needed a superstar right? Like someone just mentioned all these "young guys" are due for a payday... I'd rather my team pay 20 mill for Melo than 20 mill for Gallo and Chandler.

THE GIPPER
07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Still needed a superstar right? Like someone just mentioned all these "young guys" are due for a payday... I'd rather my team pay 20 mill for Melo than 20 mill for Gallo and Chandler.

I agree but i dont see them keeping gallo and chandler

jimbobjarree
07-05-2011, 04:04 PM
ohhh yess jeremy evans will be a beast as well :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzh0iLBsWus&NR=1

I'm actually pretty excited by Evans. Kid can jump, and is pretty efficient, but if you notice the majority of his highlights are in garbage time. And notice how thats the only mix you can find of him, and its only 2 minutes, whereas Favors has freakin loads of em. So sexy that your all jealous about him.

THE GIPPER
07-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm actually pretty excited by Evans. Kid can jump, and is pretty efficient, but if you notice the majority of his highlights are in garbage time. And notice how thats the only mix you can find of him, and its only 2 minutes, whereas Favors has freakin loads of em. So sexy that your all jealous about him.

:confused: you find it sexy that we may or may not be jealous of derrick favors?

NYsFinest
07-05-2011, 04:12 PM
I agree but i dont see them keeping gallo and chandler

Which is exactly why Utah got a MUCH better deal. They get two bigs on their rookie contracts and a solid PG on a very cheap contract. If Favors or Kanter pan out to be elite big men then they can pay them... meanwhile the Nuggs got two solid (but not exceptional) SFs that they either need to pay big money now or let them walk and be left with nothing.

KnicksorBust
07-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Utah swung for a home run and Denver wanted a guaranteed double. Give me the Jazz.

JordansBulls
07-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Denver got more young players for the future.

JordansBulls
07-08-2011, 12:24 PM
as knicks fan chandler is a decent starter, so is gallo.

both are 15ppg guys, fairly good all around.

mozgov has great backup potential.

that 1st will be crappy....

and they did what felton for miller plus a 1st? or something or w/e's....

so yea, easily utah.

lols, they get 2 #3 picks plus devin harris? yea this is easy.....

Are you really a Knicks fan?

IBleedPurple
07-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Depends how these draft picks turn out to be honest. And some of the players Denver received may still be traded for picks or other players like Felton was.

So it's still to early to say

JordansBulls
07-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Depends how these draft picks turn out to be honest. And some of the players Denver received may still be traded for picks or other players like Felton was.

So it's still to early to say

Well right now it is Denver pretty clearly. So it could be a short run or long run thing.

xabial
07-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Its too close..to call.

Long Run Jazz, Since they recieve 2010 #3 Pick Derrick Favors, and 2011 #3 Pick Kantar, and a nice PG Concellation Prize in Deron Harris. Golden State's top 7 protected pick is a pretty nice piece to own as well. Two #3 picked player's will have more potential than any other player they couldve received. Utah grabbed arguably the best international player in the '11 draft.

But Denver, recieved Proven NBA Talents in Andre Miller, Wilson Chandler, And Danillo Gallinari. Keep in Mind However, CHandler was drafted in 2007, and Gallinari in 2008, they will require a pay day soon. a 2014 1st round Knick Pick should be worthless, as Knicks should be a much better team with Amare/Melo and their core in two years. Last but not least is the 7-1 Center from Russia in Mosgov who was actually the holding piece to the Melo deal, which shows NY's Faith in him.

Id have to go with the Jazz, Short run they may have lost but in the long run potential, the Jazz Win. I like to make deals for both the short term and long term, and i dont want to be cuffed to sign Gallinari/Chandler to Long Contracts in the next year or two. Would rather own Kanter/Favors for 4 Years, and have Devin Harris for a fairly cheap price of $9.3M, and $8.5M the next two years.

Tony_Starks
07-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Utah by far. A very solid pg and two potentially solid bigs to solidify their frontcourt. If the bigs pan out their frontcourt is set for the next 5,6 years at least.

Meanwhile Denver got good players but realisticly they won't keep Wil and Gallo so thats really one player plus Felton for trade bait and a project Center.

Im rollin with Utah....

JordansBulls
07-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Utah by far. A very solid pg and two potentially solid bigs to solidify their frontcourt. If the bigs pan out their frontcourt is set for the next 5,6 years at least.

Meanwhile Denver got good players but realisticly they won't keep Wil and Gallo so thats really one player plus Felton for trade bait and a project Center.

Im rollin with Utah....

By no means is it by far.

cmellofan15
07-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Us, duh. Devin Harris is a cancer.

dhopisthename
07-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Us, duh. Devin Harris is a cancer.

how is devin harris a cancer?

Mudvayne91
07-10-2011, 03:03 AM
Nugs cause they're my team, but it's pretty close.

JEDean89
07-10-2011, 03:31 AM
I really like what utah has done, getting 4 lottery pick players in 2 years, their entire bench will consist of either rookie or sophomore lottery picks. However not one of the 4 young players have proven yet to be anything in the nba. Favors, Haywood, Burks and Kanter not yet proven to be even consistent role players let alone superstars. Give them 2-3 years of sticking together and having at least 2 of them pan out however and they have a filthy team, but as of right now the edge definetly goes to denver. They got proven young role players that put up numbers and are ready to win games now. The nuggets got better after the melo trade, the jazz got much worse and fell out of the playoffs entirely. Chandler and Gallo are each capable of scoring 20 a game. Gallo has the potential to be an allstar at the sf and is definetly much more proven than Haywood. Mozgov is a guy that will hopefully be able to play the 5 so nene can play the 4. He is 7' 1" and weights 260 pounds which would give denver a monster front court. The problem i see with the Jazz is that their are too many logjams that will prevent youth development. Paul Millsap Mehmet Okur and Al Jefferson will keep getting minutes, the Jazz need to keep their trade value up. Burks is a potentially great pick or a potential bust but without seeing him play in the nba yet his chances of getting minutes are up in the air. Haywood is the guy i expect to have a coming out season. Toward the end he started playing great and with kirelenko gone he will see more minutes. All in all i think the nuggets got the better deal since they got team needs, depth at each position and youth at each position. Andre miller will be a great fit for helping the young guys develop and Jordan Hamilton could become a great scorer off the bench.

GoPacers33
07-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Nuggets

LeonFSU
07-11-2011, 02:12 AM
I think both teams at least have the chance to make out well from the trades.

Utah really needs to trade one or more of their PFs/Cs. What they really need is Jameer Nelson. Yup, they should trade Millsap or Jefferson to the Magic for him. That sure would make them great...:(

Even better, what they really need is a veteran point forward to get everyone the ball and display an excellent shot selection. Someone like Hedo Turkoglu! Utah should be itching to call P. O.tis S.mith as soon as the lockout ends!

futureman
09-08-2011, 10:22 PM
The thing to remember is that the Jazz have never drafted a bust when picking in the Top 3 ever. Dominique Wilkins, ( Even though he never played for the Jazz.) Darrell Griffith, (Rookie of the Year.) and Deron Williams. The Jazz don't make any mistakes when they are drafting that high.

strahan92osi72
09-08-2011, 10:28 PM
I find it funny that the Nugget fans are voting they do. Because all us Knick fans had to hear during the whole Melo fiasco was how much better the Net package was. How Favors was gonna be a star, the next KG bla bla bla. They spit on our players and said how much the Knicks package was an insult. Now after the trade they praise them? The same fans whore raving about the Nets package and dissing the Knicks package? LOL gotta love it. That being said, if the Nuggets can keep BOTH Wil and Gallo, I'll say the Nuggets. Favors to me has been all hype, mostly by Net and Nugs fans.

llemon
09-08-2011, 10:34 PM
The thing to remember is that the Jazz have never drafted a bust when picking in the Top 3 ever. Dominique Wilkins, ( Even though he never played for the Jazz.) Darrell Griffith, (Rookie of the Year.) and Deron Williams. The Jazz don't make any mistakes when they are drafting that high.

Damn, drafting a player that states ABSOLUTELY he won't play for your team isn't a mistake?

Seems you and I have different interpretations of the word 'mistake'.

NYsFinest
09-08-2011, 10:40 PM
I find it funny that the Nugget fans are voting they do. Because all us Knick fans had to hear during the whole Melo fiasco was how much better the Net package was. How Favors was gonna be a star, the next KG bla bla bla. They spit on our players and said how much the Knicks package was an insult. Now after the trade they praise them? The same fans whore raving about the Nets package and dissing the Knicks package? LOL gotta love it. That being said, if the Nuggets can keep BOTH Wil and Gallo, I'll say the Nuggets. Favors to me has been all hype, mostly by Net and Nugs fans.

Haha how quickly all of PSD forgot the "Knicks have nothing to trade for Melo because all their players are a product of their system, while the Nets have so many lottery picks and young talent" argument. It was pretty much unanimous on this site that the Knicks had no talent to offer Denver, and the day of the trade they suddenly gave up too much....

Pretty sure Utah wins by a landslide:

Favors, Kanter, a lottery pick from GS in next years amazing draft and Harris

vs.

Gallo, Wilson (RFA and in China), Mozgov and Andre Miller (worst starting PG in the NBA).

On top of that they also gave up hometown hero Billups and will probably only keep Danilo Gallinari... the same guy people on PSD said was just a jump shooter with back problems.

jimbobjarree
09-08-2011, 10:41 PM
the fact of the matter is that I would violate Favors given the chance

strahan92osi72
09-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Haha how quickly all of PSD forgot the "Knicks have nothing to trade for Melo because all their players are a product of their system, while the Nets have so many lottery picks and young talent" argument. It was pretty much unanimous on this site that the Knicks had no talent to offer Denver, and the day of the trade they suddenly gave up too much....

Pretty sure Utah wins by a landslide:

Favors, Kanter, a lottery pick from GS in next years amazing draft and Harris

vs.

Gallo, Wilson (RFA and in China), Mozgov and Andre Miller (worst starting PG in the NBA).

On top of that they also gave up hometown hero Billups and will probably only keep Danilo Gallinari... the same guy people on PSD said was just a jump shooter with back problems.

I agree. Another thing I notice is how players who leave the Knicks all of a sudden turn into gold while new players on the Knicks, even someone of Melo's caliber (all you have to do is read the boards since February), become overrated. It's kinda comical though. I can't wait until if, or should I say when Chris Paul comes how overrated he all of a sudden is.

NYsFinest
09-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Let me make it simple, both teams recieved 4 noteworthy pieces for their stars.... Say you are the gm and you have to pick one out of each category:

Favors vs Gallo

Kanter vs Chandler (in china will command 8-10 mill in free agency when he returns)

Harris vs Andre Miller and jordan hamilton

GS top 6 (?) protected pick next year vs Mozgov

Anybody pick from the right column once???! Didnt think so

NYsFinest
09-08-2011, 10:59 PM
And then consider the nuggs also threw in billups, sheldon and AC

DenButsu
09-09-2011, 04:47 AM
Too soon to tell. The unmentioned asset that Denver got is much greater flexibility moving forward, and that, along with all the free agency question marks, makes it much more difficult to know what they'll look like in 2012-13 than Utah, which almost certainly will have a more stable roster over the next two seasons.

PurpleJesus
09-09-2011, 05:48 AM
i voted denver, and my initial thought was denver, but when I looked at it closer, I think Utah got the closest thing out of everyone to a future all star in Favors, which makes it a toss up...but I still think Denver gets the nod slightly

DenButsu
09-09-2011, 12:58 PM
And then consider the nuggs also threw in billups, sheldon and AC

Whoa. You actually think that's a win for New York?

NYsFinest
09-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Whoa. You actually think that's a win for New York?

Haha not really... Denver may be the better team currently but give me 2 of the highest rated young bigs in the NBA and another lottery pick in a great draft over 2 slightly above average SFs with one of them being a RFA.

uprightciti
09-09-2011, 02:13 PM
utah

ShakeN'Bake
09-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Well I think Denver got the better deal for the past season and maybe next, but I think Utah got a better overall deal. It seems like Denver just got a bunch of role players whereas Utah got a fringe all-star in Harris and to players with great potential in Kanter and Favors.

JordansBulls
10-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Just kinda strange two franchises who were in the playoffs constantly traded there stars within two weeks of one another.

SaimuKala
10-02-2011, 04:00 AM
I went with Nuggets

Sportfan
10-02-2011, 08:06 AM
denver, if they keep the team intact

netsgiantsyanks
10-02-2011, 08:34 AM
utah because of derrick favors, i wish we could of found some magical way to get d-will and keep favors :(

likemystylez
10-02-2011, 10:29 AM
utah because of derrick favors, i wish we could of found some magical way to get d-will and keep favors :(

Utah also got themselves the 3rd pick in the draft. I have reservations on how good kanter will be though

daleja424
10-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Utah by FAR... There are two young guys who could turn out to be difference makers in the NBA...

Denver got ZERO difference makers... they loaded up on rotation guys.

likemystylez
10-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Utah by FAR... There are two young guys who could turn out to be difference makers in the NBA...

Deron Williams wasnt nearly as vocal as Melo about his desire to leave. Or atleast utah dealt with the deron williams situation a lot more swiftly.

Slimsim
10-02-2011, 10:59 AM

How Gallo and Chandler are proven talent that show flashes of allstar potential. Favors look no better than Jordan hill and a rookie who has yet to play a single Minute in the NBA. Devin harris always hurt So he will spend most of his time watching than playing

Hawkeye15
10-02-2011, 11:15 AM
None of the players acquired via Melo will ever be anything more than role players...I like Utah's chances with Favors and Kanter.

this is the correct answer. While it may appear that Denver is the answer, due to the number of contributing players they got, Favors alone is the reason the Jazz won, because I think he clearly has the potential to be the best player.

Hawkeye15
10-02-2011, 11:20 AM
How Gallo and Chandler are proven talent that show flashes of allstar potential. Favors look no better than Jordan hill and a rookie who has yet to play a single Minute in the NBA. Devin harris always hurt So he will spend most of his time watching than playing

When have Gallo and Chandler ever shown they could be all stars down the road? Favors for sure has the potential to be a star. Kanter, who knows, I am with you on that one. But the Nuggets essentially got a ton of rotation players. They didn't get any players that will be future all stars.

daleja424
10-02-2011, 12:14 PM
When have Gallo and Chandler ever shown they could be all stars down the road? Favors for sure has the potential to be a star. Kanter, who knows, I am with you on that one. But the Nuggets essentially got a ton of rotation players. They didn't get any players that will be future all stars.

We are exactly on the same page...

Utah got two potential stars and a solid guard...

Denver got a bunch of solid players.

And whoever said that Gallo and Chandler have shown slashes of being all-stars down the road needs to get their head checked. They played in a system that inflates numbers and on a team without a dominant scorer...and they still didn't even sniff the all-star game.

Slimsim
10-02-2011, 12:20 PM

Favors have shown little to nothing that he has allstar potential.

Punk
10-02-2011, 02:04 PM
^ Agreed.

At this point, Utah wins. The D-Williams trade got them Favors, Kanter. The Nuggets got Gallo and now have almost nobody left from the Knicks trade besides draft picks.

BranWingss
10-02-2011, 03:24 PM
^ Agreed.

At this point, Utah wins. The D-Williams trade got them Favors, Kanter. The Nuggets got Gallo and now have almost nobody left from the Knicks trade besides draft picks.

I believe they still have property of Wilson Chandler.

Corey
10-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I believe they still have property of Wilson Chandler.

They do, but not this season.

Corey
10-02-2011, 03:40 PM
We are exactly on the same page...

Utah got two potential stars and a solid guard...

Denver got a bunch of solid players.

And whoever said that Gallo and Chandler have shown slashes of being all-stars down the road needs to get their head checked. They played in a system that inflates numbers and on a team without a dominant scorer...and they still didn't even sniff the all-star game.

I guess I need to get my head checked, then.

Gallo and Chandler have proven a LOT more than Favors has so far.

RevisIsland
10-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I'd say Utah by a fairly significant margin, especially since Denver won't be able to keep all those guys.

THE MTL
10-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Well, considering that DEN traded Felton for Miller (old). And then lost Wilson Chandler. And no playing time in sight for Mozglov.

Utah wins by a large margin.

smith&wesson
10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
They both made blockbuster trades in February, but who set themselves up for more future success?

Denver's roster (bold means player acquired via Melo):
Jordan Hamilton (20)
Kenneth Faried (21)
Danillo Gallinari (22)
Kosta Koufos (22)
Ty Lawson (23)
Timofey Mosgov (24)
Arron Afflalo (25) - Restricted free agent
Al Harrington (31)
Chris Anderson (32)
Andre Miller (35)

Unrestricted free agents: Kenyon Martin (33), Nene (28), JR Smith (25)

They are also due a further 2014 Knicks 1st from the Melo deal.

or

Utah Jazz roster (bold means acquired via Deron):
Enes Kanter (19)
Derrick Favors (19)
Alec Burks (19)
Gordon Hayward (21)
Jeremy Evans (23)
CJ Miles (24)
Paul Millsap (26)
Al Jefferson (26)
Devin Harris (28)
Mehmet Okur (32)
Raja Bell (34)

Unrestricted free agents: Andrei Kirilenko (30), Earl Watson (32)

Jazz are also owed Golden States 1st in 2012 from the Deron deal (top 7 protected)

raymond felton is who was part of the trade not andre miller. felton was traded much later for miller..

imo if your going to compare who got the better deal you have to compare the players that were actually in the deal. if ray felton was used as an asset in another trade it doesnt take away from the value they got in trading melo for the packag including him.

Jordan Hamilton (20)
Danillo Gallinari (22)
Kosta Koufos (22)
Timofey Mosgov (24)
felton (27)

over

Devin Harris (28)
Derrick favors (19)
enes kanter (19)

i dont really think its comparable. felton, gallinari, chandler, mozgov can all start and they did for new york while giving the knicks a better record they finished with after the trade with billups and melo.

Denvers team looks better to me over all. who knows maybe the young players utah got will be nice for them in the future. but as of right now i think denver got the more proven young players.

daleja424
10-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I guess I need to get my head checked, then.

Gallo and Chandler have proven a LOT more than Favors has so far.

Gallo and Chandler have proven that they are never going to be stars...

Favors and Kantar still offer that possibility...

smith&wesson
10-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Gallo and Chandler have proven that they are never going to be stars...

Favors and Kantar still offer that possibility...

i dont really get why utah even made this trade. sure they get two young promicing bigmen. but having al jeff and paul milsap isnt too shabby at all and they have glaring needs in other positions.

NYsFinest
10-02-2011, 06:11 PM
People don't realize that Nuggets wont be able to keep everyone they got from NY. They got a boatload of rotation players.... who are due for a payday soon. Chandler is already an RFA and they would be dumb to pay him his market value with Gallo set for a payday next year. Essentially they need to pick one of the 2 to make their futuren "SF" because both will want starter money.

Also people forget Utah got GS's first round pick in an incredible draft next season. They get 3 lottery (2 top 3 picks) at the begining of their rookie contract. Not even close that Utah got by far a better deal. Denver won for a year, but unless they want to be stuck winning 40 games every year they will let half the players they got go.

smith&wesson
10-02-2011, 06:18 PM
People don't realize that Nuggets wont be able to keep everyone they got from NY. They got a boatload of rotation players.... who are due for a payday soon. Chandler is already an RFA and they would be dumb to pay him his market value with Gallo set for a payday next year. Essentially they need to pick one of the 2 to make their futuren "SF" because both will want starter money.

Also people forget Utah got GS's first round pick in an incredible draft next season. They get 3 lottery (2 top 3 picks) at the begining of their rookie contract. Not even close that Utah got by far a better deal. Denver won for a year, but unless they want to be stuck winning 40 games every year they will let half the players they got go.

yes i agree, while denver may have won in the short term. utah may very well have got the better deal for the future.

well said.

Underrated Wade
10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
i would say nuggets. carmelo imo just wasnt a good enough player.
utah however could get a strong center position and deron would play like a team player cuz hes a pg

jimbobjarree
10-02-2011, 07:11 PM
raymond felton is who was part of the trade not andre miller. felton was traded much later for miller..

imo if your going to compare who got the better deal you have to compare the players that were actually in the deal. if ray felton was used as an asset in another trade it doesnt take away from the value they got in trading melo for the packag including him.

Jordan Hamilton (20)
Danillo Gallinari (22)
Kosta Koufos (22)
Timofey Mosgov (24)
felton (27)

over

Devin Harris (28)
Derrick favors (19)
enes kanter (19)

i dont really think its comparable. felton, gallinari, chandler, mozgov can all start and they did for new york while giving the knicks a better record they finished with after the trade with billups and melo.

Denvers team looks better to me over all. who knows maybe the young players utah got will be nice for them in the future. but as of right now i think denver got the more proven young players.

its not about who got the better deal, its who traded for the better future. Felton isn't on the Nuggets anymore or in their future so why include him?

DwayneMVPwade
10-02-2011, 07:20 PM
I like Utah's deal. They got to very promising young bigs in Kanter and Favors. This means that they have 4 bigs with value where they could deal for PG and wing positions.

3mikee_
10-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Yea Kanter and Favors are younger and have a much higher ceiling than some of the Denver guys, but I feel like Denver has the proven guys while Utah doesn't. We don't know if the guys in Utah can get to their ceilings and I doubt that they can with that packed front court. I like what Denver got much better.

arkanian215
10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Too early to tell but I love Favors' upside.

topdog
10-02-2011, 07:51 PM
All things considered, I like Utah's deal. Favors has a huge ceiling, Kanter by most accounts is fairly well-polished and Harris has pretty decent trade value.

Denver got some pretty good players but no one who has superstar potential (Favors, according to many scouts, does). They already traded Felton and the results of the Melo trade have meant that their free agents likely will seek greener pastures. I feel like they'll be just good enough to miss out on good lottery picks.

LA_Raiders
10-03-2011, 01:23 AM
close, but i think jazz did