PDA

View Full Version : How overrated was the '07 draft?

HouRealCoach
07-04-2011, 12:48 PM
This draft was projected to be as deep as the 2003 draft but the only similarity was picking a bust over a superstar(s). But if it werent for Kevin Durant I think that this wouldve been the worst draft ever.

The lottery includes Yi, Corey Brewer, Brandon Wright, Julian Wright, Acie Law(:facepalm:)... There was only one superstar and they said that this would be one of the greatest drafts

Was this the most overrated ever?

Heediot
07-04-2011, 12:51 PM
It was still a solid draft, very deep. Yeah half the lottery picks were busts but overall I give the draft a solid B. Overrated sure, but not too bad overall.

LTBaByyy
07-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Obviously they all had talent to be drafted in the lottery

They just went to the wrong situations/playing styles, which can ruin a career

They cant help which team drafts them

kozelkid
07-04-2011, 12:55 PM
It was a very top heavy draft. That was the main reason for the hype. Essentially, you had two players that were expected to be future HOFs and a few all star caliber players following. Unfortunately, Oden hasn't been able to stay healthy, though he has been very good in the short time he has played. If Oden was able to stay healthy, then this draft would be considered one of the better ones of all time.

Baller1
07-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Kevin Durant is a superstar.
Al Horford is a star/all-star.
Noah and Green will be all stars at some point.
Thaddeus and Nick Young are both great players with nice potential.

Marc Gasol and Big Baby Davis were both drafted in the second round, which shows the depth of the draft. Afflalo went late first, as did Aaron Brooks and Tiago Splitter (I'm pretty sure, could be wrong).

And all that considered, Greg Oden still has the ability to become the player he was expected to be.

It's only been four years; that may seem like enough time for players to cement themselves into the league, but sometimes it takes longer than that.

THE MTL
07-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Kevin Durant is a superstar.
Al Horford is a star/all-star.
Noah and Green will be all stars at some point.
Thaddeus and Nick Young are both great players with nice potential.

Marc Gasol and Big Baby Davis were both drafted in the second round, which shows the depth of the draft. Afflalo went late first, as did Aaron Brooks and Tiago Splitter (I'm pretty sure, could be wrong).

And all that considered, Greg Oden still has the ability to become the player he was expected to be.

It's only been four years; that may seem like enough time for players to cement themselves into the league, but sometimes it takes longer than that.

Dont forget about Wilson Chandler :D. Who was a top 25 fantasy basketball player this season

Hawkeye15
07-04-2011, 01:31 PM
It wasn't a draft with star power outside Durant, but it had a ton of good players. Horford is an all star caliber player, and then you have major contributors either starting or playing big minutes in Noah, T. Young, Conley, Stuckey, Thorton, Brooks, Young, and even more role players who will have productive careers in Fernandez, Green, Wilson Chandler, Landry, Big Baby, Sessions, and Affalo for example. And don't forget, Marc Gasol technically came from that draft

Greet
07-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Yi that asian son of a *****

smith&wesson
07-04-2011, 01:46 PM
i dont really ever remember it being compared to the 03 draft.

HouRealCoach
07-04-2011, 02:07 PM
^^^ESPN was all over it for the entire year saying that it was going to be the next great draft(85, 96, 03)

jrm2054
07-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Yi lol

John Walls Era
07-04-2011, 02:23 PM
At least Yi gets your team endorsements and TV deals. :shrug:

It was still a overall decent draft though.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Well I can say that my Warriors over-rated a few players in that draft.

They traded J-Rich for the draft-rights of Brandon Wrights sorryass.

They drafted Marco Belinelli's *** who never became **** in a Warriors uni but is starting for the Hornets.

MrfadeawayJB
07-04-2011, 03:49 PM
It was really deep....but i just dont see how that would even compare to the '03 draft just by name recoginition....whoever said that was not a very bright person

central2003
07-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Its funny how 2007 draft was so hyped and the 2009 draft was looked as weak or not as hyped. I believe in time that the 2009 draft will be one of the most underrated drafts we had in this decade. The talent in that draft class is very deep from Blake Griffin, Tyreke Evans, Steph curry, James Harden, Brandon Jennings, Omri Casspi, to even the un proven Ricky Rubio and many more. That just tells you how deep the 2009 draft was.

SA5195
07-04-2011, 04:15 PM
It was overrated, but there was still solid talent

marlinsfan24
07-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Overrated if people are comparing it to 2003. But it was still a pretty solid draft IMO.

3mikee_
07-05-2011, 12:09 AM
I could've sworn that when Yi got decent playing time, like during a period of time with the Nets I believe, he plays fairly well. Why doesn't anybody just give him a chance. I remember when the Raptors played him, this dude turned into like Bill Russell or something basically shutdown Chris Bosh and the rest of the Raps like they were high school kids. I could be wrong, just saying.

MagicBucsSox
07-05-2011, 12:12 AM
The 2012 draft will be epic

fadedmario
07-05-2011, 12:47 AM
I think the 2011 draft is the most underrated of all-time and I think it's going to surprise some people.

KingPosey
07-05-2011, 12:53 AM
KD
Al Horford
Conley Jr (played well this year)
Jeff Green
T Young(nice year this year also)
Stuckey
Nick Young
Wilson Chandler
Carl Landry
Marc Gasol

Those are all pretty good ball players. And then there is Oden still. The worst draft EVER?!

I think you dont know the game very well...

Arch Stanton
07-05-2011, 12:55 AM
The 2012 draft will be epic

The next Dwight Howard is coming out in the 2013 class. Andre Drummond...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYlnK-kQuHA

HouRealCoach
07-05-2011, 08:03 AM
KD
Al Horford
Conley Jr (played well this year)
Jeff Green
T Young(nice year this year also)
Stuckey
Nick Young
Wilson Chandler
Carl Landry
Marc Gasol

Those are all pretty good ball players. And then there is Oden still. The worst draft EVER?!

I think you dont know the game very well...

I didn't call it the worst draft ever...

JJ_JKidd
07-05-2011, 11:07 AM
This draft was projected to be as deep as the 2003 draft but the only similarity was picking a bust over a superstar(s). But if it werent for Kevin Durant I think that this wouldve been the worst draft ever.

The lottery includes Yi, Corey Brewer, Brandon Wright, Julian Wright, Acie Law(:facepalm:)... There was only one superstar and they said that this would be one of the greatest drafts

Was this the most overrated ever?

Yi was sooooooooooooooooooooooo f'in overrated back then// Better than Yao, KG play-alike. Dang

arkanian215
07-05-2011, 11:17 AM
lol Yi. Ryan Anderson over him anyday, except management kept Yi cuz he got the team sponsorship deals.

KingPosey
07-05-2011, 11:21 AM
I didn't call it the worst draft ever...

Sorry MOST OVERRATED draft ever. Mixed my words. Either way its far from the case.

sixer04fan
07-05-2011, 11:21 AM
I was so hyped for Yi. I remember his NBA comparison was like a mix of Yao Ming, Dirk Nowitzki, and Allen Iverson. Damn it.

Bwii
07-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Every NBA draft u have a hand full of lottery picks who end up being busts. Wether it be that they are overhyped or just thrust into a bad situation the NBA draft is a major crapshoot

arkanian215
07-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I was so hyped for Yi. I remember his NBA comparison was like a mix of Yao Ming, Dirk Nowitzki, and Allen Iverson. Damn it.

Wow talk about hype. He shot even worse than AI.

HouRealCoach
07-06-2011, 03:00 AM
Sorry MOST OVERRATED draft ever. Mixed my words. Either way its far from the case.

It wasnt that good... Oden, Brewer, Yi, Wright, Law, and Wright have all amounted to NOTHING

Two all stars is a good draft? Conley, Stuckey, Green MIGHT hit that level, but they had so many hyped players that are amounting to nothing at the moment(Oden, Yi, Wright, Brewer, Thornton, Law). Even had players that were suppose to be good role players(Tucker, Crittenton, Almond, MArcus Williams, Pruitt, Fazekas)... They just got a bunch nobodies that SUCK. and people saying Oden played good the games he did play that doesnt matter cause he's barely played.. Alot of people went as far as saying he would be the next dominant defensive center and some even compared him to Bill Russell, I guess cause he looked old... But those players were just nothing

Also what was so good about their second round? They had 4 solid players.. Landry, Davis, Sessions, and Gasol(He was only drafted that late cause he he was going to take a while to come)

Every NBA draft u have a hand full of lottery picks who end up being busts. Wether it be that they are overhyped or just thrust into a bad situation the NBA draft is a major crapshoot

2008?

HouRealCoach
07-06-2011, 03:03 AM

Dont forget how Oden was supposed to be a mixture of BEn Wallace and Bill Russell

or how Acie Law was suppose to be Chauncey Billups

Brandon Wright was suppose to be Chris Bosh lol

Ebbs
07-06-2011, 03:31 AM
I agree with the guy who said the 09 class will be seen as one of the underrated ones of all time.

Also potentially the deepest PG class I can think of.

Curry, Tyreke, Jennings, Lawson, Rubio, Collison, Holiday, Beaubois, Teague all have potential be starters in this league.

Moving away from points you have 2nd rounders in Thornton, Budinger, Blair, Jerebko, meeks, Cunningham, Young, Green who all still could be role player or more.

Than in the first aside from point you have Taj Gibson, Blake Griffin, Toney Douglas, Wayne Ellington, Omri Cassipi, psycho T, Austin Daye, Gerald Henderson, DeRozan, Hill, Harden. All of whom have various degrees of talent and potential deep class IMO.

Kyben36
07-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Besides Yi, I dont know how many of those players where realy suposed to be allstars, more was expected of Brewer, I think starter, but not much of one.

Jewelz0376
07-06-2011, 05:32 AM
Yea I do remember they were hyping that draft up a ton... Like many have said only Durant is the superstar, but their have def been plenty of solid players out of that draft..

sixer04fan
07-06-2011, 09:35 AM
I was probably never more wrong about a player than I was about Oden. I really thought he was going to be one of the all time great centers - David Robinson-esque...

Heediot
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I was probably never more wrong about a player than I was about Oden. I really thought he was going to be one of the all time great centers - David Robinson-esque...

Yeah injuries screwed him over. Big Men take longer to develop, so initially I expected Durant to better. He still has a shot, hopefully things work out for the best.

HouRealCoach
07-06-2011, 03:33 PM
I agree with the guy who said the 09 class will be seen as one of the underrated ones of all time.

Also potentially the deepest PG class I can think of.

Curry, Tyreke, Jennings, Lawson, Rubio, Collison, Holiday, Beaubois, Teague all have potential be starters in this league.

Moving away from points you have 2nd rounders in Thornton, Budinger, Blair, Jerebko, meeks, Cunningham, Young, Green who all still could be role player or more.

Than in the first aside from point you have Taj Gibson, Blake Griffin, Toney Douglas, Wayne Ellington, Omri Cassipi, psycho T, Austin Daye, Gerald Henderson, DeRozan, Hill, Harden. All of whom have various degrees of talent and potential deep class IMO.

That draft was the most underrated... So much talent

KingPosey
07-06-2011, 06:42 PM
It wasnt that good... Oden, Brewer, Yi, Wright, Law, and Wright have all amounted to NOTHING

Two all stars is a good draft? Conley, Stuckey, Green MIGHT hit that level, but they had so many hyped players that are amounting to nothing at the moment(Oden, Yi, Wright, Brewer, Thornton, Law). Even had players that were suppose to be good role players(Tucker, Crittenton, Almond, MArcus Williams, Pruitt, Fazekas)... They just got a bunch nobodies that SUCK. and people saying Oden played good the games he did play that doesnt matter cause he's barely played.. Alot of people went as far as saying he would be the next dominant defensive center and some even compared him to Bill Russell, I guess cause he looked old... But those players were just nothing

Also what was so good about their second round? They had 4 solid players.. Landry, Davis, Sessions, and Gasol(He was only drafted that late cause he he was going to take a while to come)

2008?
The depth of the draft makes it valuable. And 4 legit players from the 2nd round is outstanding, I dont know what youre talkin about.

HouRealCoach
07-06-2011, 08:00 PM
The depth of the draft makes it valuable. And 4 legit players from the 2nd round is outstanding, I dont know what youre talkin about.

Do some research..

Damn near every draft has atleast 4 solid second rounders... Its hard to think of one that doesnt so does that make every second round outstanding?