PDA

View Full Version : Stamkos??????????????????

nyr1994
07-03-2011, 11:27 PM
I understand that this is a reach but lets just have this conversation for the sake of having it!!!!

Supposedly now Tampa is listening to offers for Stamkos...In my opinion the nyr are one of the few teams that could realistically put a package together for this young star. He is no doubt a superstar and would be perfect to take the torch as Richards in 5-7 yrs begins his decline....honestly would a package of:

Dubinsky
Stephan
Zucarello
and two firsts get this done???

Stamkos is so you while we are trading some of our youth we would be keep Kreider and Stamkos could be lethal for years to come.

Thought???:speechless:

rocowear21
07-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Take out Stephan and Throw in AA and a defensive prospect and u have a deal. I really dont want to give up on Stephan at all.

lvlheaded
07-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Take out Stephan and Throw in AA and a defensive prospect and u have a deal. I really dont want to give up on Stephan at all.

x2

Getting Stamkos would be unreal though

jetsfan89
07-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Fitting him AND richards in our payroll is gonna be extremely difficult.

Isca92
07-04-2011, 12:15 AM
I think it takes more then that guys. Were talking about a game changing center at the age of 21, the first round picks that we through in would be considered to atleast be 16th at the very lowest so its not like were offering potential top 5 picks. If I remember correctly at the time when the deal that never came through comprised of 1 of Dubi or Cally 1 of Staal or MDZ with picks involved. 2 things have changed since that time Stamkos stock has risen while MDZ has fallen. So I would expect that to be Staal or Mcdonagh.

IF he is available and it were my call, I would say to Yzerman what is it gonna take, because he is the real deal. Its gonna cost more then most people would like but it would be worth it. While I agree Kreider and Thomas will be good, there would be no reason to think that if Stamkos was traded for that one of them would not be included in the trade. The players that we want to keep are the players that would be needed to make a deal for a player at this age and stage of his career.

Isca92
07-04-2011, 12:21 AM
If he were available most of the league would be pitching offers.

J4KOP99
07-04-2011, 12:43 AM
If he's out there, you have to at least try... Idk what the hell they would want though. If I had the first overall pick in a fantasy draft, I'd probably go with stamkos... He's so ****ing good and only 21

nyrfan06
07-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Not trying to get on people but why do a lot of people here spell Stepan's name with an H is it just a typo? Only asking because I always see it on this forum but not really anywhere else.

NYY09
07-04-2011, 06:36 AM

Probably so. However, it does depend a bit on who goes in the deal, lets say for example Dubi and his projected 4mill, Girardi and his 3+ and you buy out Wolski and his 3.8, all of a sudden you're much closer than most might think... We have Krieder, Thomas, Stepan, McDonaugh, Hagelin, Bourque, MZA, McIrath, Erixon so there is some great talent to go in a deal, not to mention replace the talent lost. Not easy, but well worth it.

Thing is, Stamkos is maybe top 3-5 player in the league at 21, so it will take A LOT to get him but when a player of this caliber becomes available there is no question you try and get him. We could truly have a SUPERSTAR to build around for MANY years to come. Does anyone even want to make hypothetical line? :laugh2:

Desert Plains
07-04-2011, 07:02 AM
I understand that this is a reach but lets just have this conversation for the sake of having it!!!!

Supposedly now Tampa is listening to offers for Stamkos...In my opinion the nyr are one of the few teams that could realistically put a package together for this young star. He is no doubt a superstar and would be perfect to take the torch as Richards in 5-7 yrs begins his decline....honestly would a package of:

Dubinsky
Stephan
Zucarello
and two firsts get this done???

Stamkos is so you while we are trading some of our youth we would be keep Kreider and Stamkos could be lethal for years to come.

Thought???:speechless:

That wouldn't get it done for a 50 goal scorer. I think Tampa would want at least one proven stud, especially when you consider the draft picks would be bottom half, most likely - they wouldn't be lottery picks.

This package just isn't good enough. While Dubinsky and Stepan are good players, their 2nd line at best. And, I don't think MZA has much value at this point.

I don't see us getting Stamkos, Tampa isn't trading him. But, if it were to happen, I don't know that Tampa would start the discussions without a package that included Staal, with maybe Krieder, Dubinsky/Callahan, plus picks.

Desert Plains
07-04-2011, 07:06 AM

Again, this isn't happening anyway. But, I don't think the Cap would be an issue - Tampa is going to want some NHL proven players - guys like Staal, Dubinsky, Callahan, etc. So, there would be salary going back.

bsi
07-04-2011, 08:58 AM
I really have a hard time believing that Tampa would kill their franchise by trading the face of it. But if we're just discussing it, I don't think there's anyone on our roster with the exception of Lundqvist that would be safe in that trade and I'm not even sure if he is given the fact that there's still some goalie options out there. My opinon for the trade to work it would look like this, Dubinsky, Staal, Kreider and a first and as much as I love all those guys I'd do it in a heartbeat. An opportunity to get a 21 yr old 50 goal scorer doesn't come very often. In fact I'd be happy with any deal that got us Stamkos I think he's just gonna be that good and as I said Tampa would have to be insane to do it.

dashripdot
07-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Yzerman has already said he will match any offer sheets, so I think it is unlikely he would trade him, either. But if he did, Tampa's defense is abysmal, so I would imagine any package has to include at least an NHL or NHL-ready top-pairing defensemen and another top-four defenseman, as well as a couple of top-6 forwards and picks. Rangers couldn't complete such a deal without including say, Girardi + McDonagh (or Erixon) + Dubinsky + Stepan (or Kreider) + picks. It would be much cheaper to offer-sheet him because you only lose the 4 1st-round picks. While Stamkos is tempting, do you gut your team and part of your prospect pool to get him?

Remember, his set-up man, St. Louis, doesn't come with him in the deal. Also, in a mutiple-player-for-one-player deal, although the chances that the guy gets injured stay the same, the effect of an injury becomes exponentially worse. An injury to that guy can really disable your team because it becomes so much harder to replace his production when you can't spread around the workload because you don't have the assets you gave up to get him.

Redfish
07-04-2011, 09:31 AM
I just don't believe the Rangers would make a trade for Stamkos.

It would certainly require a near entire gutting of our youth investments (Dubinsky, Anisimov, McDonagh and a 1st round pick, for example), and it would leave the roster with gaping holes. After all, guys like Stamkos still need other skilled players around them. One could suggest that a trade would include Gaborik, Dubinsky, Sauer and a 1st, for example, but it still presents problems for the roster. The time to trade for Stamkos was when Sather did make an offer, at a point when Stamkos was struggling his rookie season (buy low). Yzerman is smart, in that if he cannot sign him to a reasonable contract, now is the time to trade him (sell high).

Overall, I just don't think the Rangers gut their roster of young players that have come through the organization in order to acquire Stamkos. Call me silly.

ernie.tarducci
07-04-2011, 11:10 AM
agreed Stamkos would require way to much

kmo429
07-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Only way you guys get Stammer is if it starts with Dubinsky, Stepan, Staal, and 2 1sts, and is that even enough? really dont know.

TFleury14
07-04-2011, 12:57 PM
It's a dream, but I just don't think the Rangers would gut their roster to make this deal. I mean I would put something like Anisimov/Stepan/Boyle/McDonagh/Valentenko/2 1st Rounders. I would do that but I doubt the Rangers would, nor would the Lightning, but it would be lovely.

Sandman
07-04-2011, 01:09 PM

Really? Y'all don't even know the guy's name.

Isca92
07-04-2011, 01:49 PM
IMO while Stamkos would take alot he is worth it. The holes that would be created are much easier to fill these holes then to find another 21 year old 50 goal scorer. However I do think there are teams that can and will offer more then the Rangers will.

I still think they should take a run at acquiring Keith Yandle or Zack Bogosian (could be spelled wrong). They wouldnt be nearly as expensive as Stammer or Doughty but could still help out with some offense from the backend.

Swift n Sil3nt
07-04-2011, 03:29 PM
In order to be a legitimate title contender, the Rangers really need a player of Stamkos caliber. You can gut much of the roster to acquire him because he is someone you can build around. In terms of depth, we have great defensive prospects so it would be easier to part with guys like Staal and McDonagh than people may think. When you have Erixon and McIlrath in the minors who are not too far away, you can afford to trade an average defenseman.

Players like Dubinski, Anisimov, Stepan, while valuable players, are replaceable. I would love to hold onto Stepan for the same reasons as everyone else, but those are the same reasons why it would almost be necessary that he is included in any trade.

I can see a trade consisting of:
1. Brandon Dubinski
2. Artem Anisimov
3. Chris Kreider
4. Mark Staal/Ryan McDonagh
5. 1st Round Draft Pick

And in my opinion there is no way you say no to that trade. Anisimov, Dubinski are average players. They will contribute but they are not difference makers in my opinion, not on a team that is already full of similar type players. Kreider, while very promising, is still a few years away and he is by no means a sure thing, although he is definitely someone I would like to keep. Between Staal and McDonagh, these are players I would not want to trade, but they would be needed to bring back elite talent. And the first round pick, although key for continuing the growth could be relatively low with the team that we would be able to put forth. And as it stands, we are currently the 7th ranked minors organization, so we have the luxury of being able to send some talent elsewhere.

This proposed trade would leave us with a lineup of:
Fedotenko/Richards/Gaborik
Wolski/Stamkos/Callahan
Avery/Stepan/Zucarrello
Rupp/Boyle/Prust

And defensive pairings of:
McDonagh/Girardi
Sauer/Erixon
Girardi/FA

The defense may be a little shaky with the loss of Staal, but that offense is dynamite. We need to give Lundqvist some more breathing room and those top two lines form a great top 6. Both lines can score at any point in the game, something we have been missing for too long.

Foge7
07-04-2011, 03:48 PM
My buddy brought up the same thing. I'd love Stamkos, he's one of my favorite players in the league, and the guy i'd choose to build my team around. As we were talking he brought up trading for him, sending anisimov and boyle, maybe a few others there way for him, then having him play first line center and move richards to the wing.

Richards-Stamkos-Gabby

Thats a sick 1st line! Highly unlikely though.

Redfish
07-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I understand the logic of Stamkos being the type of player you build a club around. I get it. The reason why I would not do this, though, is because the Rangers organization is already several years into a major organizational plan of developing from within and establishing these players as our "core" in order to win the Stanley Cup. Signing Richards to enhance the skillset of the core makes sense.

To now trade some of those players and gut the roster, so that we can build around Stamkos, is switching this broad strategy that is already in place, and starting a completely new strategy. I just don't think you switch gears as an organization in mid-stream; it pushes the Stanley Cup further out than where I believe the organization already is.

In other words, on our present path, I think we are within 2-3 years of the Stanley Cup finals. Trading 3 key starters for Stamkos pushes this payback period out to 3-5 years, in my view.

Building a club around Stamkos is the right strategy for some organizations at a different point in their development. I think our present strategy is developing nicely and we should aggressively execute the last remaining components that may be needed, rather than make a wholesale change in that broad strategy.

Should Yzerman be open to a trade consisting of term sheet compensation (i.e., 4 1st round picks) plus a prospect, then sure, let's go for it! But not Staal, Dubinksy, Stepan and a 1st.

dashripdot
07-04-2011, 04:36 PM
IMO while Stamkos would take alot he is worth it. The holes that would be created are much easier to fill these holes then to find another 21 year old 50 goal scorer. However I do think there are teams that can and will offer more then the Rangers will.

I still think they should take a run at acquiring Keith Yandle or Zack Bogosian (could be spelled wrong). They wouldnt be nearly as expensive as Stammer or Doughty but could still help out with some offense from the backend.

Talent-wise, maybe, cap-wise, no. With $6.6, $7.5, $6.75 and $8 mil dedicated to only four roster spots (Richards, Gaborik, Lundqvist and an estimated cap hit for Stamkos, respectively), that doesn't leave enough cap-room to fill out the roster unless you keep getting rid of players after their entry-level deals or first RFA contracts expire.

TFleury14
07-04-2011, 05:35 PM
In order to be a legitimate title contender, the Rangers really need a player of Stamkos caliber. You can gut much of the roster to acquire him because he is someone you can build around. In terms of depth, we have great defensive prospects so it would be easier to part with guys like Staal and McDonagh than people may think. When you have Erixon and McIlrath in the minors who are not too far away, you can afford to trade an average defenseman.

Players like Dubinski, Anisimov, Stepan, while valuable players, are replaceable. I would love to hold onto Stepan for the same reasons as everyone else, but those are the same reasons why it would almost be necessary that he is included in any trade.

I can see a trade consisting of:
1. Brandon Dubinski
2. Artem Anisimov
3. Chris Kreider
4. Mark Staal/Ryan McDonagh
5. 1st Round Draft Pick

And in my opinion there is no way you say no to that trade. Anisimov, Dubinski are average players. They will contribute but they are not difference makers in my opinion, not on a team that is already full of similar type players. Kreider, while very promising, is still a few years away and he is by no means a sure thing, although he is definitely someone I would like to keep. Between Staal and McDonagh, these are players I would not want to trade, but they would be needed to bring back elite talent. And the first round pick, although key for continuing the growth could be relatively low with the team that we would be able to put forth. And as it stands, we are currently the 7th ranked minors organization, so we have the luxury of being able to send some talent elsewhere.

This proposed trade would leave us with a lineup of:
Fedotenko/Richards/Gaborik
Wolski/Stamkos/Callahan
Avery/Stepan/Zucarrello
Rupp/Boyle/Prust

And defensive pairings of:
McDonagh/Girardi
Sauer/Erixon
Girardi/FA

The defense may be a little shaky with the loss of Staal, but that offense is dynamite. We need to give Lundqvist some more breathing room and those top two lines form a great top 6. Both lines can score at any point in the game, something we have been missing for too long.

One problem, Stammer in the 2nd line, I think not. Either him or Richards would move over to LW, plus FEd on the 1st line? More like 3rd Line, something like this...

Stamkos/Richards/Gaborik
Wolski/Stepan/Callahan
Avery/Fedotenko/Zuccarello
Rupp/Boyle/Prust

Fed would have to learn C, but there is no way Stammer or Richards would be on the 2nd line

MentalHockey
07-04-2011, 05:54 PM
One problem, Stammer in the 2nd line, I think not. Either him or Richards would move over to LW, plus FEd on the 1st line? More like 3rd Line, something like this...

Stamkos/Richards/Gaborik
Wolski/Stepan/Callahan
Rupp/Boyle/Prust

Fed would have to learn C, but there is no way Stammer or Richards would be on the 2nd line

Isn't Avery a LW/C? Feds wouldn't have to learn a new position because Avery can already play it.

TFleury14
07-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Isn't Avery a LW/C? Feds wouldn't have to learn a new position because Avery can already play it.

Very true, my mistake lol, so Fed/Avery/Zuccs

Either way STammer and Richards 1st line lol

NYY09
07-04-2011, 06:30 PM
I understand the logic of Stamkos being the type of player you build a club around. I get it. The reason why I would not do this, though, is because the Rangers organization is already several years into a major organizational plan of developing from within and establishing these players as our "core" in order to win the Stanley Cup. Signing Richards to enhance the skillset of the core makes sense.

To now trade some of those players and gut the roster, so that we can build around Stamkos, is switching this broad strategy that is already in place, and starting a completely new strategy. I just don't think you switch gears as an organization in mid-stream; it pushes the Stanley Cup further out than where I believe the organization already is.

In other words, on our present path, I think we are within 2-3 years of the Stanley Cup finals. Trading 3 key starters for Stamkos pushes this payback period out to 3-5 years, in my view.

Building a club around Stamkos is the right strategy for some organizations at a different point in their development. I think our present strategy is developing nicely and we should aggressively execute the last remaining components that may be needed, rather than make a wholesale change in that broad strategy.

Should Yzerman be open to a trade consisting of term sheet compensation (i.e., 4 1st round picks) plus a prospect, then sure, let's go for it! But not Staal, Dubinksy, Stepan and a 1st.

Yes but, you are tremendously under-estimating the value of Stamkos IMO... A 21 year old center who is already top 5 player in the league, available? Someone tell me when was the last time that happened?

Thing is, a Dubi, AA, even Step and Staal (while I feel Staal would not have to go but) aren't elite and anything below elite can be replaced much easier. Lets also not forget about guys like McIlrath, Bourque, Thomas, Hagelin, Krieder, etc, that we will be left with after the trade. Clearly they are not all going, this just speaks volumes about our prospect depth.

All that means is whoever remains from our prospects gets their chance. A young, fast, extremely talented team that I can watch grow for a few years before they are serious contenders? Ones with a flux of home grown talent, which we will have plenty of even after the trade, yeah, sign me up for that right there....

Does anyone realize how electric MSG could be with Stamkos...? Glenn here's your chance to redeem all your sins... :pray:

Swift n Sil3nt
07-04-2011, 06:52 PM

Stamkos/Richards/Gaborik
Wolski/Stepan/Callahan
Rupp/Boyle/Prust

That first line is phenomenal, but I think you run into more problems with Stamkos Richards and Gaborik on the same line. I think you have much more balance in the rotation with Richards/Stamkos moving to the second line, that way you have a legit scoring threat out on the ice at all times.

TFleury14
07-04-2011, 08:25 PM
That first line is phenomenal, but I think you run into more problems with Stamkos Richards and Gaborik on the same line. I think you have much more balance in the rotation with Richards/Stamkos moving to the second line, that way you have a legit scoring threat out on the ice at all times.

Maybe but I doubt Richards or Stamkos would move to the second line, which may be why this won't happen, maybe wee should go for an lw instead like Rick Nash or Parise

Swift n Sil3nt
07-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Maybe but I doubt Richards or Stamkos would move to the second line, which may be why this won't happen, maybe wee should go for an lw instead like Rick Nash or Parise

It would be tough to reason putting one of the elite centerman in the league on the second line, but at the same time, they would constantly be facing different defense pairings, and I think that would be good for continued success. I look at the situation similar to Crosby and Malkin, and I like the possibilities. How you stop the line you proposed is beyond me, but I think you have a legitimate shot at two 35+ goal scorers if they are on separate lines.

When was the last time two 35+ goal scorers were on the same line (I actually have no idea; it could be last year or 10 years ago)?

bsi
07-04-2011, 10:21 PM
No need to even debate this...he's not coming here for two reasons....1 he'd need about 9 million dollars which would give us Richards making 6.7, Gaborik at 7.5 and Hank at 6.8 plus not to mention the 3.7 we have to pay Drury and that totals about 34 million over half our cap without anyone else playing. 2) If Tampa is trading him, believe me he'll be going West.

NYRFan76
07-05-2011, 01:24 PM
I think the Rangers should go for Stamkos. He'll help the power play tremendously. I think he'd play awesome with our front runners Richards, Gaborik and Dubinksy would be awesome on the PP. I read that we have somewhere around the $15 Million in cap space left. We'll either end up saving it to get a veteran defenseman signed or go after someone like Stamkos to fill our much needed PP help. Depending on what he's asking for, it isn't impossible to sign him. Besides he'd look great in a Rangers uniform! If we don't trade or sign anyone, look for us to utilize our farm system.

Sandman
07-05-2011, 01:52 PM
I think the Rangers should go for Stamkos. He'll help the power play tremendously. I think he'd play awesome with our front runners Richards, Gaborik and Dubinksy would be awesome on the PP. I read that we have somewhere around the $15 Million in cap space left. We'll either end up saving it to get a veteran defenseman signed or go after someone like Stamkos to fill our much needed PP help. Depending on what he's asking for, it isn't impossible to sign him. Besides he'd look great in a Rangers uniform! If we don't trade or sign anyone, look for us to utilize our farm system.

Most of that 15 will go to Cally, Dubi, Anisimov and the other RFAs we have.

NYRFan76
07-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Wow, we're giving up too much if that happens. I wouldn't throw in both Dubi and Staal? One or the other not both. That would be dumb on Sather's part but then again, has he done anything smart? That's just me though.

Got a link to that report?

jetsfan89
07-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Why do you guys always fall for this?

gabby10
07-05-2011, 10:31 PM
i would NOT give up kreider for stammer.. kreider is filthy.. just wait until he gets to the NHL.. he'll have a first year like step and a second year and beyond like stammer has done so far

nyr1980
07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Is there any actual site or news outlet anywhere that has legitimized the speculation that Stamkos is available or on the market?

Bellz
07-06-2011, 06:44 PM
i would NOT give up kreider for stammer.. kreider is filthy.. just wait until he gets to the NHL.. he'll have a first year like step and a second year and beyond like stammer has done so far

So you think he is going to turn into a top 3 player in the NHL....

NYR_NYJ
07-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Kill this thread already it's a pipe dream.

freddy686
07-06-2011, 10:29 PM
I AGREE A BIG PIPE DREAM !! theres not in any slim chance that tampa would trade him to the rangers... We will be one of the top 10 teams in the nhl next year .. and our first rounder wouldnt even make the top 5 which stamkos is worth .. If anywhere hes going.. it will be a low market team just to piss him off and get 3 first rounders back .. come on guys think rational here ... edmonton or ny islanders with their new arena or i can even see toronto and their idiot gm tradeing everything for him ...:speechless:

gabby10
07-06-2011, 11:21 PM
So you think he is going to turn into a top 3 player in the NHL....

i dont see why he can't.. he has thrived at every level he's played at.. i think he needs a year to get settled, and then he'll take over.. this is just my opinion, i could be horribly off

mmmrevolver93
07-07-2011, 12:55 AM
i dont see why he can't.. he has thrived at every level he's played at.. i think he needs a year to get settled, and then he'll take over.. this is just my opinion, i could be horribly off

Actually if you watch the kid closely he has by no means dominated at the college level, which is why if you read some of his quotes, the reason he is returning to college for one final year. He is a great talent and someone who is gonna make an impact on this team and in the league, comparing him to stamkos before he has even stepped on nhl ice is a bit of a stretch though.

Isca92
07-07-2011, 02:29 AM
How can you say Kreider is gonna be better then Stamkos? Stamkos is 14 months older and has been playing in the NHL for the past 3 years, while Kreider is going back to college for another year. The last 2 years Kreider has not been a point game player in college, while Stamkos has been a point a game player in the NHL. While Kreider has done well in World Juniors, you have to take in consideration the amount of that weren't there because they already made the jump to the NHL, not just on team Canada but the USA players that would be getting more ice time if it were a tournament of all the best players under the age of 21. I THINK Kreider is gonna be good but I know Stammer is a player you build your organization around.

NYRFan76
07-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Honestly, I think he's going to re-sign with Tampa Bay. They can match any offer he gets from other teams. Not only that, they have been contenders in recent seasons. There is no reason for him to leave unless its a money issue for him or the team.

nyr1980
07-08-2011, 06:41 PM
I hope that if he doesn't re-sign, he gets dealt to the Western Conference so we don't have to deal with him.

QUBobcats550
07-09-2011, 01:53 PM
I would love for him to come here, but it is most definitely a pipe dream. We would have to give up a ton to get this guy which would probably hurt the overall team rather than help it.

nyr1980
07-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Forgive me for saying this, but why the **** is this thread still open? Stamkos is not moving anywhere.

Isca92
07-10-2011, 12:00 AM
I wouldnt be suprised if he gets traded but don't see him getting traded here. Most people under rate what you would have to give up to get him because they over value their teams players and prospects.