PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Brown opts out

MackShock
07-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Los Angeles Lakers guard Shannon Brown has opted out of his contract, becoming an unrestricted free agent.

Brown could still end up playing for the Lakers in the 2011-12 season.

He has averaged 7.9 points, 2.0 rebounds and 1.2 assists since being acquired by the Lakers from Charlotte in February 2009. He was part of two NBA title teams with them.

Brown averaged a career-high 8.9 points, 1.9 rebounds and 1.2 assists last season.

Yes? No? Maybe? Little bit?

djeller1139
07-03-2011, 06:39 PM
I think he'd be great, I just wouldn't spend too much on him (like how teams overpaid Trevor Ariza).

There are plenty of PG/SG's out there, and really it's not a need for us (unless we end up moving Monta or not resigning Reggie), so I'd make it a late priority. SF and of course C are bigger concerns.

I'd rather have Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, for example.

likemystylez
07-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I think he'd be great, I just wouldn't spend too much on him (like how teams overpaid Trevor Ariza).

There are plenty of PG/SG's out there, and really it's not a need for us (unless we end up moving Monta or not resigning Reggie), so I'd make it a late priority. SF and of course C are bigger concerns.

I'd rather have Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, for example.

yeah shannon brown is the type of player who is going to get a ridiculous contract. (my guess is that his agent is aware of this) The media in LA hypes him up, and people around the league get to see a few highlights of him and his athletic talent. If he gets a big contract, he might be expected to be a far bigger piece to a team, and he has yet to show that he can consistantly be one of the go to guys on a competitive team.

MackShock
07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Shannon Brown is a budding star waiting to explode..the next dorell wright so to speak. we may be able to get him on the cheap? although my guess is everyone will lowball him and hell re-sign with LA

TrueFan420
07-03-2011, 08:07 PM
we have other more pressing needs than a combo guard. center has to be first on the list followed by a defensive sf. plus id rather have a back up pg than can pass and set up teammates over a combo guard that looks to score first.

robbnen#31
07-03-2011, 09:53 PM
If he wants out of LA he probably wants to start somewhere

djeller1139
07-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Shannon Brown is a budding star waiting to explode..the next dorell wright so to speak. we may be able to get him on the cheap? although my guess is everyone will lowball him and hell re-sign with LA

I wouldn't say budding star...he's explosive, energy player who is semi-flashy and does will in his limited minutes. I don't know if he is going to be a stud starter like Dorell was this year. I guess we'll wait and see - either way, he's not really a need for us, and he's probably pricier than he's worth.

sfattahian
07-04-2011, 12:07 AM
I like his defense and athleticism off the bench... we need a guard who can defend 1's and 2's and he'd fit the bill. It would also give Thompson and Jenkins time to develop instead of expecting 2 rookies to come in and contribute greatly right away.

I think he's a good fit for us though because he as some qualities we are short of like I said, athleticism and defense. He's also another combo guard, which some people might not like but he has more size than CUrry and Ellis so he could play with either.

It's going to be hard to get a center in free agency like Nene, Gasol, Cahndler or Jordan. They have stronger links to other teams and it's a long shot that we;ll get one...

...that said, we'd have to trade for one. If we couldn't pull it off, we'd be able to get a starting 3, a backup center, and possibly have room for a player like Shannon Brown off the bench.

We can't expect the rookies to come in a play big bench minutes right away, we should consider that a bonus.

Offseason priorities:

1) starting 5
2) starting 3, or backup 3 who is a 6th man.
3) 3rd guard, who can play with both Monta and Curry
4) backup 5, assuming Biedrins get traded

Lloyd Christmas
07-04-2011, 01:37 AM
I don't really get the love for Brown. He's ok. There are plenty of other guys I'd rather go after.

GSW 2012 CHAMPS
07-04-2011, 09:36 AM
I don't see a reason to get him or why management would go after him especially after they just used a lotto pick on Thompson.

likemystylez
07-04-2011, 10:30 AM
I don't really get the love for Brown. He's ok. There are plenty of other guys I'd rather go after.

agreed, I have a hard time thinking the addition of brown makes this team any better. He is a decent defensive player, but doesnt get the tough assignments in L A. LOL kobe and artest take those guys.

COOLbeans
07-04-2011, 02:11 PM
he disappears. mystery..id still sign him for under 4 million per max though

TrueFan420
07-04-2011, 04:03 PM
he disappears. mystery..id still sign him for under 4 million per max though

yea but if we gave him that money then that would kill us cause we couldnt get a center. brown is not worth it we have bigger needs.

COOLbeans
07-04-2011, 07:58 PM
^ I wonder if Jeremy Tyler has any idea about how much pressure is on him to perform well and turn out okay..we need a starting center..

nipdon24
07-04-2011, 08:39 PM
If SBrown was on a Mil, Toronto, etc kinda team, its quite possible you wouldn't even know who he was. Dude shoots 42% from the field on a team whos best defenders are NOT guarding him. His assist to TO ratio is almost 1:1 as well. There are WAY more needs for the Dubs than a SG/SF at 6'4" who will want to get paid...ill pass

TrueFan420
07-05-2011, 04:31 AM
^ I wonder if Jeremy Tyler has any idea about how much pressure is on him to perform well and turn out okay..we need a starting center..

i dont think theres any pressure on him. hes a second round pick. he could be good but the organization shouldnt expect him to be great. high reward high risk. if he bust o well if he is great than fvck yea but only fools think this kid is a lock for greatness. he has work to do.

Giantwarrior
07-05-2011, 10:24 AM
shanon brown is going to pull at least 5 million a year. ill pass.

PolloLoco
07-05-2011, 04:56 PM
If SBrown was on a Mil, Toronto, etc kinda team, its quite possible you wouldn't even know who he was. Dude shoots 42% from the field on a team whos best defenders are NOT guarding him. His assist to TO ratio is almost 1:1 as well. There are WAY more needs for the Dubs than a SG/SF at 6'4" who will want to get paid...ill pass

Great points. I agree.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-06-2011, 07:15 AM

no, no, no and no

the guy sucks, and 90% of the lakers fans don't want him back.