PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't Players Start Their Own League

Russollini
07-02-2011, 10:09 PM
After seeing the NFL Lockout, and now the NBA - I pose this question:

Why do teams need the owners?? What if the players started their own league. It would be hard to do in the NFL, but the NBA would be easy. What if players were given A, B and C status, cut deals with arenas and each team had ten players. They could split all the revenue according to their ranking. I know it sounds like a crazy idea, but I have been wondering for years why the owners were really needed now that the players are already multi-millionaires. The first year would be tough to get off the ground, but the bottom line is I would watch Wade, Bron, et al play no matter what the team was called and who owned the team.

So someone please tell me, is the owner even necessary??

NBA_Starter
07-02-2011, 10:15 PM
:shrug:

LakersMaster24
07-02-2011, 10:16 PM
The greed of the players would kill that league pretty quickly. You need one person to regulate the teams finance.

Russollini
07-02-2011, 10:23 PM
The greed of the players would kill that league pretty quickly. You need one person to regulate the teams finance.

They would have the whole pool of money at that point. So why would it matter?

John Walls Era
07-02-2011, 10:24 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631929

Dash
07-02-2011, 10:27 PM
It would be pretty hard.

dnewguy
07-02-2011, 10:29 PM
If you thought about it, you wont make this thread. Players are temporary, the league is permanent.

ahan88
07-02-2011, 10:32 PM
it's also a matter of risk

Canterbury
07-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Who gets to decide their "Status" aka paycheck.

Everyones A status in their own books.

Russollini
07-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Who gets to decide their "Status" aka paycheck.

Everyones A status in their own books.

It could initially based on stats from the previous year...and what is the difference of a team owned by players and a partnership. It could even be based on the players initial investment.

No one pays to see the owner, it is the player. The owner is needed in the beginning as they have money to invest, but the players have that now.

Russollini
07-02-2011, 11:15 PM
If you thought about it, you wont make this thread. Players are temporary, the league is permanent.

Yes, I have thought about it, and I run a multi national business. What if the players made the investment. New players obviously have less money to put in and so they start at a base salary. They then build themselves up to a larger piece of the pie. Players transition in and out and the % change based on their yearly investment or an independent grading system, or even a combination of both. The issue right now would be star power and number of players, but if they all said screw it, why not? They are locked out any way.

koreancabbage
07-02-2011, 11:27 PM
i'm pretty sure the NBA can sue for something lol

3ballbomber
07-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Yes, I have thought about it, and I run a multi national business. What if the players made the investment. New players obviously have less money to put in and so they start at a base salary. They then build themselves up to a larger piece of the pie. Players transition in and out and the % change based on their yearly investment or an independent grading system, or even a combination of both. The issue right now would be star power and number of players, but if they all said screw it, why not? They are locked out any way.
i don't think it would be that simple.

Rafer17
07-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Would never work, too many components...and salaries would definitely be difficult to figure out

ombada
07-02-2011, 11:34 PM
A lot of teams are already under contract. If a player were to play and injure himself in this league, then if the CBA were settled, that player would probably have breached his higher paying contract. S.O.L.

plus im sure the NBA could take action over something about this league. They definitely wouldnt make it easy to start up.

DenButsu
07-02-2011, 11:41 PM
A league run by players would be something comparable to the U.S. government in Idiocracy. Although, Commissioner Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho does have a nice ring to it...

BALLER R
07-02-2011, 11:42 PM
and the logo can be the jordan jumpman logo

homestarunner93
07-03-2011, 12:14 AM
It would never work. First off, good players want to be paid based on performance. Bad players will want their piece of the pie. I'm not even sure how a draft system would even work, but let's say a player is drafted to take another player's place. This player is not at a retiring age. Under the scenario you are presenting, basically every player is an owner. What happens to the outed player's piece of the pie, and his salary? I think the contract situation and the degree to which player's are "bought in" to their franchises would sink this theoretical league quickly and swiftly.

TO Rapz
07-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Too complicated. /end thread.

MrfadeawayJB
07-03-2011, 12:39 AM
flint tropics :)

KnicksR4Real
07-03-2011, 12:47 AM
that would be so difficult to do

desertlakeshow
07-03-2011, 12:52 AM
No reason to be obtuse here.

I think if it were legal from contract issues between existing players and their owners it could happen and be temporarily a boon financially.

You would need some maverick investors, a few Mark Cuban types. Guys that love basketball and have buckets of cash.

Would it work, good question.

Read the book Animal Farm by George Orwell for your answer.

LakersIn5
07-03-2011, 01:00 AM
i had this idea when i was so bored after the lockout began. the nba players start their own league. the leagues starts with 20 teams. the players vote the top 20 players to determine who the bests are. Then the 20th best player starts the fantasy draft. then the 19th then until it reaches the 1st. then to begin the next round. the 1st picks first. just like the serpentine fantasy draft mode in the nba 2k11 game. this i think can solve parity among teams. yeah i know this is close to impossible but anything can happen. hell noone thought tha mavs gonna win the title. even mavs fans are saying the blazers gonna beat them in the 1st round. lol

PrettyBoyJ
07-03-2011, 01:03 AM
There's a reason why each team have owners.. Majority of the owners are multi- millionaires some billionaires with other business ventures that generate money.. The owners pay the players.. If the Players start their own league they wouldnt get any of the benefits the NBA offers (Insurance, Medical Staff, Training Staff etc.) In our eyes players contracts may seem a lot but when running your own team, let a lone starting a new league there money is pocket change and they all would go bankrupt.. There's too many things that come to play that the players dont have the resources to do nor the money to generate their own league

Hellcrooner
07-03-2011, 01:38 AM
the real question is why there areant theres some 20 owner wannabee millinaires offering them to start a new league under better terms than Nba owners are offering.

Ebbs
07-03-2011, 01:41 AM
Two Words: Mark Cuban.

he MBA Marks basketball association

John Walls Era
07-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Too difficult to do. You need someone to mediate the whole thing (what are they going to do? Get another Stern to run the league?).

BluejaysFan08
07-03-2011, 02:25 AM
Greed....that is all.

FuriousJatt
07-03-2011, 03:24 AM
'Cut the head off the snake and the body dies'.

you gotta have a person or a group of people to run a business, it doesnt matter what kind of business. i think its impossible to do it, it would cost lot of money. most of the players dont have the money or wouldnt want to give all of their money to start a league. the players are too greedy. lebron and kobe wouldnt pitch in 50mill each if the other 400+ players can only contribute,lets say $5 mill/each. this will neverwork out.

Astronaut
07-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Well they would need someone to handle all the financial matters, where are they going to play? The majority of the players in the NBA aren't exactly too skilled in the realm of business.

GoPacers33
07-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Bad idea

gwrighter
07-03-2011, 11:31 AM
haha where are these players going to play? in Rucker park? the courts of Venice beach?

The ownerz own the arenas, the owners would NEVER let the players rent out the arenas. The franchise owners right now would tell the players to build their own arenas, which cost anywhere from 200-500 million. No one player has that money to put up for an arena. let alone 30 of them. This wouldn't even get off the ground, it would be crushed immediately.

most of the arenas now a days hold hockey as well as basketball games. The owners would still be making a little money selling out for hockey, meanwhile the players would make nothing sitting around at home. Eventually the players would come back & ask to play for the owners again. you bet you butt that they will be playing for 1/4 of what they are being payed now.

The best response for the players is to not play, they lose money & the owners lose money as well. Any other form of competition would be derailed by the monopolistic actions of the owners. whoever has studied economics knows what im talking about.

DerekRE_3
07-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Absolutely the NBA players could start their own league. I mean, only about 2/3 of players are bankrupt five season after they retire, so they definitely have the skills in finance to run a business.

NYKalltheway
07-03-2011, 12:29 PM
The FANS need to start their own league.. get your priorities straight.

Witness06
07-03-2011, 09:09 PM
This concept wouldnt work , How ever, this could have been a prime time for a group to start a new league Like the USFL. I mean the main reason you have this issue is because there is no other league. If you had an ABA or something the players could just" take their talents" to the other league, boost ticket sales, and tv ratings in the other league. You could get ownership groups, past players like Larry bird, Magic, Jordan , Dr J and a host of others. Maybe a guy like Vince Mcmahon . I love that Idea. I would love to see the NBA owners shut down for a whole season while a new league started. It would be a GIANT CEE LO GREEN to the NBA!!!!!!

blastmasta26
07-03-2011, 10:33 PM
haha where are these players going to play? in Rucker park? the courts of Venice beach?

The ownerz own the arenas, the owners would NEVER let the players rent out the arenas. The franchise owners right now would tell the players to build their own arenas, which cost anywhere from 200-500 million. No one player has that money to put up for an arena. let alone 30 of them. This wouldn't even get off the ground, it would be crushed immediately.

most of the arenas now a days hold hockey as well as basketball games. The owners would still be making a little money selling out for hockey, meanwhile the players would make nothing sitting around at home. Eventually the players would come back & ask to play for the owners again. you bet you butt that they will be playing for 1/4 of what they are being payed now.

The best response for the players is to not play, they lose money & the owners lose money as well. Any other form of competition would be derailed by the monopolistic actions of the owners. whoever has studied economics knows what im talking about.

Absolutely the NBA players could start their own league. I mean, only about 2/3 of players are bankrupt five season after they retire, so they definitely have the skills in finance to run a business.

Exactly. A league independently run by NBA players is not viable.

TrueFan420
07-03-2011, 11:05 PM

there are other bball courts that could be used... they could use college courts but in reality the players could never start their own league. they either need to just sit like you said or they go to Europe and put a clause in the contract that lets them void it if the nba and players agree on a new cba and the lockout is lifted.

asandhu23
07-03-2011, 11:06 PM
If you thought about it, you wont make this thread. .

says this guy.

Bishnoff
07-03-2011, 11:16 PM

Why do teams need the owners?? What if the players started their own league. It would be hard to do in the NFL, but the NBA would be easy. What if players were given A, B and C status, cut deals with arenas and each team had ten players. They could split all the revenue according to their ranking. I know it sounds like a crazy idea, but I have been wondering for years why the owners were really needed now that the players are already multi-millionaires. The first year would be tough to get off the ground, but the bottom line is I would watch Wade, Bron, et al play no matter what the team was called and who owned the team.

:facepalm:

Because players know very little about running a large organisation and do not have the funds to get one off the ground.

Remember that it's the owners who pay the players. How could a player afford to pay himself and teammates when there’d be no upfront capital to cover losses?

LOOTERX9
07-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Cause no one would watch

ChiSox219
07-04-2011, 02:04 AM

Many NBA owners do not own the arena their team plays in. For example, the Magic's arena is owned by the city of Orlando. The city charges the Magic a rent fee and if the players were to somehow start a new league do you think the city would rather lose out on that rent money versus host the new team? I'm sure the NBA owners would make it difficult for players to use the facilities with various lawsuits but I think there are far greater problems with this idea than where the games would be played.

NYKnicksAllDay
07-04-2011, 02:26 AM
Cause no one would watch

I bet plenty of people would watch it.

Epicfailure
07-04-2011, 02:59 AM
Because most NBA players have the IQ of a rock and would immediately run the league straight into the ground.

69centers
07-04-2011, 07:58 AM
They should have all star like games, travel around the US and put on great games for the fans. No hard fouls, and mostly an easier style of high scoring play like an all star game. It could work. They could go to all the arenas and cities that don't normally have the NBA.

Witness06
07-04-2011, 08:30 AM
the real question is why there areant theres some 20 owner wannabee millinaires offering them to start a new league under better terms than Nba owners are offering.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!! WHERE IS VINCE M. WHEN WE NEED HIM.
This could be a great time to re-start the ABA

Kinkotheclown
07-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Network, Commercial contracts and endorsements are with the NBA. It would take at least a few years for those contracts to run their course.
Many channels couldn't show the games and those that could would risk losing their commercial contracts. (Besides the fact that so many of these companies are owned by the same people and no one wants to screw each other. (Ahh the rich get richer)
THe players would have to buy or rent stadiums, get tv contracts, hire all the right people. They have nothing close to the money it would take without the endorsements and commercial campaigns it would take to get things going and sustained.
If they chose to start small, they would lose much of the talent to other leagues around the world and subsequently their clout. (I fear that the NBA will lose many to europe through this strike)

Essentially, as much money as we think they have as a group, I would guess that they would probably need 25x that. To get a league up and running. You need massive amounts of wealth. "Shaq is rich but the man who writes Shaq's check is wealthy" Chris Rock
And more importantly, they don't want to start their own league. This system is good for them as well. They have no responsibility and reap the benefits. THey are complaining about whether someone makes 6.5 or 7 mil a year for playing a game. Where else can you find a job like that for being a mid level employee?

Russollini
07-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Network, Commercial contracts and endorsements are with the NBA. It would take at least a few years for those contracts to run their course.
Many channels couldn't show the games and those that could would risk losing their commercial contracts. (Besides the fact that so many of these companies are owned by the same people and no one wants to screw each other. (Ahh the rich get richer)
THe players would have to buy or rent stadiums, get tv contracts, hire all the right people. They have nothing close to the money it would take without the endorsements and commercial campaigns it would take to get things going and sustained.
If they chose to start small, they would lose much of the talent to other leagues around the world and subsequently their clout. (I fear that the NBA will lose many to europe through this strike)

Essentially, as much money as we think they have as a group, I would guess that they would probably need 25x that. To get a league up and running. You need massive amounts of wealth. "Shaq is rich but the man who writes Shaq's check is wealthy" Chris Rock
And more importantly, they don't want to start their own league. This system is good for them as well. They have no responsibility and reap the benefits. THey are complaining about whether someone makes 6.5 or 7 mil a year for playing a game. Where else can you find a job like that for being a mid level employee?

Truly the owner is needed only to get started. Now that players have money they could finance the league. The Stadiums are not owned by the owners, but leased in many cases. In Miami for instance they could use the old arena, not the best, but would work for now.

Think about it though, wouldn't you go to see the game no matter what, it is not like it is the WNBA. I think the later part is a valid point. The risk factor, but I believe that guys like Wade, Kobe, Rose, Durant, etc would be able to figure it out (the smart ones). Many stations like CBS and NBC have been blocked out of sports for years, they could not take back some prime time sports. I think it works and I think it removes some of the leverage that the owners have if they do it.

I believe the contract issue is solved if they decertify the Union.